View Full Version : Testing session at Peach?

pennybeagle
07-08-2005, 03:12 PM
Well, I just took and failed the gold moves. It wasn't too terrible--one judge passed me by two tenths, and the other two failed me by one tenth each. They didn't like the CW direction of my novice move pattern, which was no surprise. They also didn't like my forward CW crossover pattern, which also was no surprise. Grump. It's always the moves you hate working on the most.

Anyway, I want to re-take them in September, after the rule change, at Peach. There's no mention of the testing session, and so far, no application up on the website, so I just wanted to try to confirm with someone that there actually will be a test for the competition. It may influence whether I decide to go or not.

Thanks!

NoVa Sk8r
07-08-2005, 03:27 PM
AFAIK, Ginger is in charge of competitor questions. E-mail her at PeachClassic@gafsc.org. She was extremely helpful (and very nice!) last year. I'm sure they can accommodate you.

LoopLoop
07-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Well, I just took and failed the gold moves. It wasn't too terrible--one judge passed me by two tenths, and the other two failed me by one tenth each. They didn't like the CW direction of my novice move pattern, which was no surprise. They also didn't like my forward CW crossover pattern, which also was no surprise. Grump. It's always the moves you hate working on the most.

Awww! That stinks. Especially that they failed you by one tenth; I think I've read somewhere that judges are directed to *not* fail someone by that little, that they should either find a way to bring it up a tenth to passing, or mark it down one more tenth.

Did they ask you to reskate anything?

It took me three tries to pass that test, and I did it at Peach last year.

Debbie S
07-08-2005, 04:40 PM
I think I've read somewhere that judges are directed to *not* fail someone by that little, that they should either find a way to bring it up a tenth to passing, or mark it down one more tenth.

Hmmm, I know someone who failed Bronze moves by one tenth (she has since passed). If I do end up taking that test, I suspect I'd fail (at least the first time) by one tenth - b/c of those pesky RFO power 3's! :twisted: :frus:

Good luck on your retry, pennybeagle! I think everyone I've heard of who's taken that test had to retry at least once.

jazzpants
07-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Hmmm, I know someone who failed Bronze moves by one tenth (she has since passed). If I do end up taking that test, I suspect I'd fail (at least the first time) by one tenth - b/c of those pesky RFO power 3's! :twisted: :frus: I failed mine last year by about .3 of a point. Of course, I had to pick the August test session where everyone was testing in time for the regionals deadline. :frus: We'll see how much I miss it by this year!!! :twisted: (I thought about my past test sessions and realized now that I'm still not quite ready yet... I need to be doing double run throughs by now on those tests before he could say that I'm ready. He needs to see certain things (i.e. no hopping on the FI mohawks, better pushes on the back crossovers) have improved before he could say that I'm ready.

Back to the drawing board I guess. (Probably a good thing I made the decision not to go to Peach in the end... too much on my plate as is...)

pennybeagle
07-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Awww! That stinks. Especially that they failed you by one tenth; I think I've read somewhere that judges are directed to *not* fail someone by that little, that they should either find a way to bring it up a tenth to passing, or mark it down one more tenth.

Did they ask you to reskate anything?

It took me three tries to pass that test, and I did it at Peach last year.

Well, there was a LONG conference with the judges after I skated, and then they basically said "thank you very much." Oh well. I will have two more months to work on it, and it should be better by Peach. The great surprise was that all of them liked my brackets. 8O So there was something to be happy about.

About the one tenth thing--maybe one of the judges in my area didn't get that memo. I was just looking over my other tests, and that same judge failed me by one tenth on my swing dance (although I passed the test--by one tenth over by another judge and four tenths over by a third judge). So maybe she just doesn't like my skating. :roll:

And NoVa, thanks for the contact info.

Is anyone else testing at Peach??

Terri C
07-09-2005, 10:20 AM
I was considering taking my Bronze moves there at one point, but with it being a difficult summer for me on the family front (Mom is in the hospital on comfort care and can pass at any time :cry: ), my coach and I came to a consensus that I need to enjoy myself at Peach and not worry about putting a test out.

jazzpants
07-09-2005, 10:25 AM
I was too, but I'm not going to Peach! I have expenses up the wazoo and I have to take care of those problems now before it gets really bad. :cry: Plus I'm saving for a car...