View Full Version : Your favorites....

mikawendy
07-14-2005, 03:15 PM
Okay, just a fun little thread... (answer whatever applies, and feel free to add to this)

What is your favorite...
1. Skating move (anything)
2. Jump
3. Spin
4. Dance
5. Move in the field
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's)
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink
8. Story you've heard about skating
9. Time of day to skate
10. Clothing to wear while skating

Here are my answers:
1. Spirals
2. Flip
3. Sit spin
4. I've never done dance
5. Power circles from Intermediate MIF. I've never done them, but they look like fun!!!
6. Tie: Matt Savoie's short program to Barber's Adagio for Strings or Shen/Zhao Turandot
7. A coach drew a fabulous teapot on the ice for some of her students recently.
8. GaryC's story about getting his skate caught in his jacket zipper. If it nearly brought tears to my eyes from laughing when I first read about it on this board a long time ago, it must have been even funnier to be there! :D
9. Morning on the weekend
10. My favorite item is a purple velvet skirt I bought recently up in PA...Skate@Delaware has seen it. I luurve the color.

flying~camel
07-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Okay, just a fun little thread... (answer whatever applies, and feel free to add to this)

What is your favorite...
2. Jump
3. Spin
4. Dance
5. Move in the field
9. Time of day to skate

1. Right forward inside spiral
2. Flip
3. Flying camel
4. Fiesta Tango (though I haven't done it in 8 yrs!)
5. Backwards crossovers to backward outside edges from Bronze
6. My FS4 program to Terminator/Hudson Hawk
7. Bielmann spin
8. Various indescretions of elite skaters ;)
9. Mid-morning/early afternoon
10. Practice dress/skirt & t-shirt with tights

Mrs Redboots
07-14-2005, 04:33 PM
What is your favorite...
Forward cross-rolls, I think. Or perhaps changes of edge. Next Day: Oh no it isn't, of course, I'm dim - my absolute favourite is our lift, when it works!

2. Jump
3-jump. Can't really do any others!

3. Spin
The spin we do at the start of our free dance

4. Dance
Swing Dance or Prelim Waltz, not sure which.

5. Move in the field
Back cross-rolls, now I can nearly do them! Otherwise changes-of-edge.

Mine, Jake the Peg! Other adult: Axel Rinaldi's last year's Interpretive (mad housewife, skated to La Boheme). Elite: Phillipa Towler-Green & Philip Poole's Grease

My coach and young friends doing teapots and deliberately seeing who could slide furthest on their bottoms

One my first coach told me, of a man who took up skating to help his arthritis, and within a few months was moving far more freely. Then he had to give up to look after a sick wife - and within six months was in a wheelchair.

9. Time of day to skate
Early morning

T-shirt, practice-skirt, tights, boot-covers. If it's cold I wear leggings, though.

samba
07-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Dont have any favourites just happy when I can stay on my feet

2. Jump
Salchow

3. Spin
Camel to sit (when it works!)

4. Dance
Samba (great to watch, rubbish at it myself)

5. Move in the field
Anything backwards, seems to move faster than forwards.

My old pairs programme - Annie Lennox's Vamire.

In the old days one of the mums accidentally took a mouse home from the rink in her handbag, guess it crept in and found some tasty morsel in there.

Many but unrepeatable

9. Time of day to skate
Morning only for me if I can help it.

Any old top and my 5 year old practice skirt, I was devastated the other day when I left it at the rink, but one of the coaches recognised it and kept it for me, whew! That's the next worst thing to putting my left boot on first

Melzorina
07-14-2005, 04:57 PM
1. Skating move = Spread eagle followed by a single axel, then an Ina Bauer (sp?)
2. Jump = Axel with raised arms
3. Spin = Beilmann
4. Dance = Dutch Waltz?
5. Move in the field = Back cross cuts
6. Skating program = Evgeni Plushenko: Tribute to Vaclav Nijinsky
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink = 12 year old girl doing a triple toe and double axel.
8. Story you've heard about skating = Once upon a time there was a person, and that person had a dream. It's never too late to live the dream in ice skating, no matter how old you are.
9. Time of day to skate = Early morning patch: 6am on a saturday.
10. Clothing to wear while skating = Practice skirt (Or sometimes pants), tights, tshirt, pullover fleece and gloves.

samba
07-14-2005, 05:00 PM
<Melrozina>Once upon a time there was a person, and that person had a dream. It's never too late to live the dream in ice skating, no matter how old you are.

Awh thats the best story yet

Cheers
Grace

*JennaD*
07-14-2005, 05:03 PM
1. Skating move - ina bauer...if I can ever do one :roll:
2. Jump- Axel when I land it, and lutz
3. Spin- change sit spin
4. Dance- Swing and Ten Fox
5. Move in the field- spirals
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's)- all of Sale and Pelletier's programs! lol
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink- some really tiny kid did a double lutz! It was really cool :D
8. Story you've heard about skating- well...I don't think my dance coach would appreciated me repeating this story!
9. Time of day to skate- Saturday mornings
10. Clothing to wear while skating- practice skirt, tights, t-shirt and pullover sweater

slusher
07-14-2005, 06:35 PM
What is your favorite...
1. Skating move (anything) Ina Bauer, yes I can do them well
2. Jump Toe loops. I love toe loops
3. Spin Can't do any of them well but I love camel-change-camel
4. Dance Baby Blues or Fiesta Tango, it's all about the change edge swing roll
5. Move in the field Flying choctaws, if only I could do them both ways
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's) Kurt Browning's Nyah
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink This guy, over and over, attempting triple axel, getting the foot down and then falling on his butt, huge determination and we were wincing watching, no he never got it that day, and we wondered if he'd be able to walk after.
8. Story you've heard about skating Lots of sex related ones which I won't repeat because I finally figured that they're mostly made up. Skating is like high school.
9. Time of day to skate After work. I hate mornings
10. Clothing to wear while skatingTights, skirt, club fleece

Hannahclear
07-14-2005, 06:52 PM
What is your favorite...
1. Skating move (anything): Counter clockwise running back 3s --Wheeee!
2. Jump: Tie between loop and flip
3. Spin: Um none, blah I hate spinning.
5. Move in the field: I like working on those forward/back 3 turns on the silver test, even though I can't do back inside very well at all. They are fun to play with.
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's): My winning performance to "American Beauty" at the Bronze level at a local event.
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink: This coach at my rink did an awesome 2/2/2.
8. Story you've heard about skating: Anything fun and gossipy about the elites.
9. Time of day to skate: Evening maybe? No strong preference.
10. Clothing to wear while skating: Yoga pants with an activewear type t-shirt (wicking type).

Kit kat
07-14-2005, 07:38 PM
What is your favorite...
1. Skating move (anything):spread eagle or somthing
2. Jump:loop
3. Spin:scratch
4. Dance: i dont dance
5. Move in the field:chinese spirals
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's): 5 year old's program with singing in the rain
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink: watching a little girl do her program with a raincoat and umbrella. ( the program above) IT WAS SO CUTE.
8. Story you've heard about skating:i've heard that my rink used to be a bowling alley. nothing too exciting
9. Time of day to skate: i skate in the afternoon, but i would LOVE. to skate in the morning or late at night
10. Clothing to wear while skating: sweater, velvet black skirt and tights.

Skate@Delaware
07-14-2005, 07:53 PM
1. Skating move - spirals, because I can do them even when everything else sucks.
2. Jump- I can only do a waltz right now (but am working on the rest...)
3. Spin- scratch
4. Dance- Dutch Waltz, it's very relaxing and not too hard!
5. Move in the field- 3-turns or edges
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's)- one of our kids did a cute routine at a competition-he was so cute (especially when his music had a malfunction at the beginning and he yelled for his mom!)
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink- I like to see couples skate holding hands!
8. Story you've heard about skating- just the one on the radio about the drunk zamboni driver!?!
9. Time of day to skate- middle of the day
10. Clothing to wear while skating- leggings (sometimes skirts), layers (lots!), a fleece vest or sweater, fleece jacket, gloves!

sunskater
07-14-2005, 09:03 PM
What is your favorite...
1. Skating move: spiral
2. Jump: double flip
3. Spin: camel/layback/back sit combo
4. Dance: n/a
5. Move in the field: rocker choctaws or brackets
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's): ryan jahnke's 2004 season's long program
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink: pair lifts. any kind.
8. Story you've heard about skating: any that have to do with kids who don't come from rich families but who work hard on the ice and love the sport and work hard to reach their dreams. i know of a few kids in that type of situation and their stories always stand out to me.
9. Time of day to skate: early mornings
10. Clothing to wear while skating: gk dresses (sooo comfy for practice!) and sharene's for competition/test sessions. black leggings are a fav for practice too.

TreSk8sAZ
07-14-2005, 09:41 PM
What is your favorite...
1. Skating move (anything) Twizzles
2. Jump Double Lutz
3. Spin Flying Camel
4. Dance Starlight Waltz... close second: yankee polka
5. Move in the field I may be crazy, but quick brackets (from the novice test)
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's) Tanith and Ben's Free dance this season
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink The little ones landing their axel for the first time
8. Story you've heard about skatingUmm... none that are appropriate for this setting!
9. Time of day to skate practice: early morning competition: mid afternoon
10. Clothing to wear while skating My velvet jazz pants, a comfy t-shirt, and my white/black feather fleece jacket

TashaKat
07-15-2005, 01:14 AM
What is your favorite...

1. Skating move (anything) - Death spiral or 'Old Man's Death Spiral' (I've attempted the first - badly - but the second was one of our 'signature' moves :) In case you're wondering (probably not ;) ) he's holding my left foot in his left hand, I'm in a kind of split while he does a pivot).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/50a72016.jpg

2. Jump - 2loop

3. Spin - Cross toe/scratch

4. Dance - Starlight or Rocker

5. Move in the field - urgh, urm, probably back cross cuts

6. Skating program (yours or someone else's) - one of the kids (not a kid any more) did a programme to the Lion King music, it was absolutely awesome :) My programme had to be my 'Angel' programme which I did for my UK Prelim Free. Anything by Robin Cousins, Dorothy Hamill, Denise Biellman in fact any of the 'old school'.

7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink - back flip :) The guy who was Robbie Williams' skating double on his 'She's The One' vid is a fantastic skater and does a great back flip :D

8. Story you've heard about skating - me being pregnant with twins to my coach! It wasn't true and I have no idea where they got it from but every time I fell over all the kids would come rushing over to see if I was ok 8O

9. Time of day to skate - early mornings, we used to start at about 6.30am (6am if we were up to it) and it was a really good start to the day especially when you had time to go for a bacon and mushroom butty at the local caff afterwards :)

10. Clothing to wear while skating - lycra of course :) My favourite dress is a simple, elegant sparkly number with long sleeves which come down to a point (with a loop on your finger) and a deep cut back with a fancy cut out and illusion fabric. The first time I wore it (for a test) one of the kids broke the zipper on their dress. I loaned them mine and as they were skating first they got to 'christen' it.

vesperholly
07-15-2005, 01:29 AM
1. Skating move (anything) - I like most, but I guess BO power 3's

2. Jump - Lutz

3. Spin - Camel-Layback

4. Dance - American Waltz

5. Move in the field - Slow rocker-choctaw from Novice

6. Skating program (yours or someone else's) - A girl at my rink skated to the Hidalgo soundtrack. The music was gorgeous, suited perfectly for her and it was so well choreographed.

7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink - when a skater gets a jump they've been working on for a long time. A girl I've known since she was 8 (and now just graduated HS) started landing her double axel this year after working on it for about 2 years and was so close - all of a sudden it was really clean and steady, and consistent too. It was awesome! I also like watching the skaters who I skate with who have really good technique on their jumps.

8. Story you've heard about skating - I've heard so many I couldn't pick. ITA with HC about gossipy stuff about elites.

9. Time of day to skate - 2pm during the school year. Early enough for most kids to still be in school, but the higher level ones can get out so it makes for a nice session of 6-7 people, all Intermediate/Novice/Junior level

10. Clothing to wear while skating - black dress and t-shirt. I'm always sooooo cold in my competition dresses.

Casey
07-15-2005, 04:34 AM
What is your favorite...
1. Skating move (anything) I can't do: Combination spins involving a camel, sit, and some sort of backspin. I can do: back shoot-the-duck entry into a scratch spin
2. Jump Flip
3. Spin Scratch
4. Dance N/A
5. Move in the field Twizzles
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's) Joubert's "Time" program
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink Quad jumps (I think they were quads, maybe just really high and fast triples)
8. Story you've heard about skating Accomplishing doubles within a year from starting
9. Time of day to skate Evenings, I wish I could use the ice all night after the rink closes
10. Clothing to wear while skating Black jazz pants, thin stretchy black Champion C9 long sleeve shirt

kayskate
07-15-2005, 07:58 AM
1. Skating move = Change edge back spiral
2. Jump = loop (big single)
3. Spin = any sort of back camel and/or layback variation or combo
4. Dance = ChaCha
5. Move in the field = forward cross cuts
6. Skating program = T&D Bolero
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink = Teen skater started in a Beilmann spin pose and layed back w/o releasing the leg. It was amazing. Her coach was apparently developing the spin as a unique skill.
8. Story you've heard about skating = I knew a woman who survived 3 types of cancer. She became an avid adult skater.
9. Time of day to skate = Mid to late morning or whenever I can get ice these days.
10. Clothing to wear while skating = Rinks are usually cold, so stretch fleece leggings + fleece sweatshirt.

Kay

pedonskates
07-15-2005, 09:52 AM
1. Skating move = spread eagle
2. Jump = double salchow
3. Spin = camel sit back camel back sit combo
4. Dance = 14 step
5. Move in the field = Novice spirals
6. Skating program = Gordeeva and Grinkov's Moonlight Sonata from the 94 Olympics
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink = cool hydroblades
8. Story you've heard about skating = any of the adult skaters who have so much more to do than just skate - balancing career, family, other sports and skating
9. Time of day to skate = the earlier the better
10. Clothing to wear while skating = a skating dress with a t-shirt or turtleneck depending on how cold the rink it and time of year. It's hard to find good pants when you're short!

Pedonskates

jazzpants
07-15-2005, 11:08 AM
What is your favorite...
1. Skating move (anything): Probably spiral. I can't do anything else! :P
2. Jump: Waltz! It's the most reliable of ANY of my jumps!
3. Spin: Oh, tough one... it would probably be my sit.
4. Dance: I can't dance... I can't talk... only thing about me is the way that I walk... (But for curiosity sake, I am learning the Dutch Waltz pattern.)
5. Move in the field: Perimeter forward crossovers from Bronze Move
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's): Sarah Hughes Olympic Free Skate program! She skated for the joy of it -- and since she was going really against the odds of winning a medal -- she skated with nothing to lose and everything to win!
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink: Boitano doing his trademark triple 'Tano lutz at a coffee club session. I also saw the program that Renee and Gorsha did in person a couple of months before it was aired on TV! :bow:
8. Story you've heard about skating: Ummm... I've heard stories about various things happening in the men's room at the rink, but I'm too much of a lady to repeat them. :oops:
9. Time of day to skate: Afternoon/Early evenings
10. Clothing to wear while skating: T-shirt to go with...what else???... stretchy JAZZPANTS!!! :mrgreen:

Mel On Ice
07-15-2005, 11:57 AM
What is your favorite...
1. Skating move - probably the FO to BO spiral sequence, when I don't botch it of course...

2. Jump - lutz, because I'm learning to respect it and trust myself doing it

3. Spin - camel, because I'm learning to do it well and snapped off a good one the other day

4. Dance - Fiesta Tango, because other than the basic 3, it's the only other one I know how to do from synchro practice

5. Move in the field - 8 step mohawk from Silver MIF and slide chasse from Gold

6. Skating program - last year's freestyle 3 program to Greig's "Morning Suite". I never made a mistake and never lost with it and I competed it 4 times.

7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink - two of the most amazing things to see up close and personal is a triple jump in individual skating, and a throw jump in pairs

8. Story you've heard about skating - I think the stereotype of men in this sport as wusses is a myth. Nowhere else are you going to see such explosive and precise power.

9. Time of day to skate - morning, noon, night... whenever. The only time I don't like is crack o' dawn.

10. Clothing to wear while skating - in the summer, I'm a dress and tights girl but winter I'm a leggings and sweatshirt wearer.

jenlyon60
07-15-2005, 12:21 PM
1. Skating move (anything): Blues Choctaw

2. Jump: I don't jump...

3. Spin: I don't really spin anymore either

4. Dance: Starlight Waltz or Paso Doble

5. Move in the field: of the ones I've played around with, probably back cross-rolls or the 5-step mohawk sequence

6. Skating program (yours or someone else's): Torvill & Dean's Bolero

7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink: my coach doing the Midnight Blues solo for fun (male steps)

8. Story you've heard about skating: Can't think of any that are memorable or clean enough to mention

9. Time of day to skate: early in the morning (6:30AM), especially in the non-summer months.

10. Clothing to wear while skating: Black stretch fleece leggings

Mrs Redboots
07-15-2005, 12:27 PM
I keep wanting to change mine! I've already edited my favourite skating move to read our dance lift!

And now I think I'll change (but I can't be bothered to go back and edit my previous post) my favourite thing I've seen someone doing at the rink to watching two elite male dancers doing the steps to the Golden Waltz in unison round the rink! Everybody stopped to watch that one!

NickiT
07-15-2005, 01:17 PM
1. Skating move (anything) Ina Bauer
2. Jump I can't choose between a loop and toe-loop
3. Spin Sit spin
4. Dance Don't do ice dance and so I don't know anything about it
5. Move in the field UK Inter-bronze exercise - consecutive forward outside three turns. I don't enjoy the bronze ones I'm working on right now. They're so hard!
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's) I love my current programme, but also the one I had two years ago. Can't choose between them.
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink During our Christmas show some years back, my former coach's husband Chris Howarth performed as the dame and during the interval he set up a ladder to the balcony seats. In the second half of the show he climbed the ladder - in full dame gear and skates, and threw a custand pie in the face of our rink's owner/top man!
8. Story you've heard about skating I've heard stuff about coaches and ex-coaches that I can't repeat here!
9. Time of day to skate Morning
10. Clothing to wear while skating Practice dress and tights. To think in the beginning I was horrified at the thought of wearing a dress. Now I wear one all the time. I find it easier to skate in and comfortable.

Nicki

cutiesk8r43
07-15-2005, 02:02 PM
What is your favorite...
1. Skating move (anything)~shoot the ducks/ spread eagle
2. Jump~Flip / axel (when I can land it) :roll:
3. Spin~sit spin
4. Dance~Dutch waltz
5. Move in the field~spirals on the lobes
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's)~Sasha Cohen's Nutcracker program
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink~This guy doing a really nice flying camel
8. Story you've heard about skating~none really
9. Time of day to skate~ public skating in the summer when you have the rink to yourself! :D
10. Clothing to wear while skating~ stretch pants/ practice outfit

sitspin89
07-15-2005, 02:05 PM
What is your favorite...
1. Skating move (anything):hydrobllading00> hopefully someday i can do it :frus:
2. Jump:double flip
3. Spin:sit spin
4. Dance: Starlight
5. Move in the field:arg....dont reallly like any of them
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's):bourne and kraatz's cell block tango, or micheal jackson program
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink:beilman
8. Story you've heard about skating:none that are appropriate for hre
9. Time of day to skate:moring
10. Clothing to wear while skating:yoga pants, tank top, layed over t-shirt and long sleeved shirt, all under a sip up hoodie

Raye
07-15-2005, 02:32 PM
1. Skating move (anything): Forward Outside Spiral - I can hold onto that one almost forever and I am finally getting it up higher in the back.
2. Jump: The salchow. Mine is finally becoming consistent
3. Spin: Sit Spin (I'm almost low enough - love doing them)
4. Dance: The Fiesta Tango and The Blues, in that order.
5. Move in the field: The chocktaw from the Blues, The Chocktaw from the Kilian, and the Rocker from the Rocker Foxtrot.
6. Skating program: Mine- Memory from 'Cats' Someone else's - I Pagliachi by Toller Cranston
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink: (1)That spread-eagle-axel-ina bauer combination described by Melzorina. (2)Karen Magnussen's spiral - my inspiration to work on mine.
8. Story you've heard about skating Oxana Baiul (hope I spelled that right) skating to a gold just after her mother died
9. Time of day to skate: Whenever there's ice, time of day doesn't matter.
10. Clothing to wear while skating: Practice dress and tights.

Perry
07-15-2005, 04:53 PM
1. Skating move (anything): power pulls
2. Jump: walley, half-walley, half-flip, double-flip (so it's a sequence....)
3. Spin: inside back sit or flying back sit
4. Dance: Westminster
5. Move in the field: the power pulls turns from senior
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's): my junior short
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink: the little kids' pair program, because it's so darn cute
8. Story you've heard about skating: while I was on my Paso (and struggling with the crossrolls) my coach told me about how her old dance partner hit an edge on one and never skated again. Definately not a good story, but it scared me into doing them right.
9. Time of day to skate: 6AM
10. Clothing to wear while skating: dress, undertights and over the boot tights (microfiber kind), long sleeved shirt.

Sk8pdx
07-15-2005, 11:48 PM
What is your favorite...
Spread Eagles
2. Jump
Toe loop
3. Spin
Sit Spin
4. Dance
Haven't ever taken Dance before
5. Move in the field
8 step mohawk looks really cool. I have only watched. I didn't even realize a mohawk could take 8 steps. I am too new to skating to have ever done it myself.
One of my coach's other girls skating to "A Moment Like This" really inspires me.
Hydroblading 8O
I enjoy hearing everyone telling their skating injury stories and who has the biggest bruise to "one-up" the other. :lol:
9. Time of day to skate
6:30- 8am or 9:30 - 11:30am
Summertime: practice skirt and a t-shirt
Wintertime: Yoga pants, long sleeve shirt and a hoody or my club jacket

If I have the opportunity to play my own music other than program music I pop in my Switchfoot CD "The Beautiful Letdown" or a mix of other favorite tunes. Monday early sessions are usually not as crowded as other days in the week.

slusher
07-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Like Mrs. Redboots, I want to change mine after reading everyone elses. I forgot how much fun the Blues choctaw is, and I've seen it mentioned several times.

prettyinpink
07-17-2005, 09:45 PM
What is your favorite...
**back shoot the ducks
2. Jump
**flip
3. Spin
**sit spin
4. Dance
**Argentine Tango or the Rhumba
5. Move in the field
*Senior MIF spiral sequence
**I'm not a freestyler... but I always loved Torvill and Dean's free dance (I believe) to Cecelia by Simon and Garfunkel (that's going way back from when they did Champions on Ice)
**double or triple jumps since I was never good at jumping!
**I always love hearing stories about the underdog :)
9. Time of day to skate
**either early morning or midafternoon
**yoga pants and a t-shirt and hoodie, or a wrap skirt and leotard

NoVa Sk8r
07-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Flying camel or back hydroblade
2. Jump
Flip
3. Spin
Camel!!!
4. Dance
Ick, I hate dance. Sorry.
5. Move in the field
Slide chasse (or any move that doesn't require me to do forward crossovers!)
Mine: Current pairs program (a tango-y number)
Others: Weiss's 2000 SP ("On the Waterfront"); Kwan's 2000 LP ("The Red Violin"), 1999 Hersheys LP ("One More Time"), 1998 World Pro "East of Eden"), and (of course) 1998 Nationals SP (Rachmaninoff); Sale and Pelletier's 2001 World's LP ("Tristan & Isolde"); Lucinda Ruh's 2000 World Pro ("Prayer Cycle Mercy") and 1999 World LP ("Harp Concerto by Gliere") ... et al.
Land a quad
Oh brother, let's NOT go there!
9. Time of day to skate
Evening
Anything that horribly embarrasses my pair partner ... but usually a T-shirt, running pants, and a zip-up jacket

singerskates
07-17-2005, 10:10 PM
What is your favorite...
1. Skating move (anything) : RFO to RFI combo spiral RFI op mo to LBI catchfoot spiral
2. Jump split/toe/toe
3. Spin: sit/broken sit/catch foot behind combo spin
4. Dance: Not really
5. Move in the field: split/falling leaf combo
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's):Jeff Buttle's 2005 FS, Joannie Rochette's 2005 FS
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink: Flying Camel/donut/beillman combo spin
8. Story you've heard about skating: nothing in particular
9. Time of day to skate: 4:30 PM to 6 PM
10. Clothing to wear while skating: At practice, gym pants and T-shirt, my freeskate dress from last year when I was competing.

pennybeagle
07-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Ok, I'll play... :)

Skating moves: outside spread eagle, split falling leaf
Jumps: delayed flip (sometimes a split flip)...and when it works, the axel
Spins: back attitude, sit
Dances: of the dances I'm *working* on: Ten Fox. Of the dances I *pretend* to do: Starlight and Blues
MITFs: back double three turns, novice spirals
Programs: T&D's "Bolero," hands down. Tie for second: G&G's "Vocalise" (the Rodin "Kiss" one), Yuka Sato's "Hatful of Stars," and Paul Wylie's "Schindler's List"
Thing done at rink: Scott Davis' scratch spin circa 1994-95...done about 15 feet away from me. 8O I hadn't taken up skating yet--I was at the rink to meet a friend of mine, and saw it from the door, so I dunno if this counts.
Story: I went to COI in 1988, and got there early enough to see some of the skaters warming up. As an extremely shy teenager who only began watching skating with the 1988 Olympics, I got exactly 3 autographs (personalized, too!), from skaters whose names I didn't really know at the time. They were Kurt Browning, Paul Wylie, and Kristi Yamaguchi. How's that for a slam dunk?
Time of day to skate: Any time I have an extra hour or two in my schedule!
Clothing to wear: yoga pants or leggings and a T-shirt

Terri C
08-13-2005, 09:04 AM
My turn!

Skating moves:
Ina Bauers/ spread eagles

Jump:
Toe loop

Spins:
Forward scratch, backscratch (when it decides to show up! :roll: )

Dance:
None- I'm saving dance for the dreadful day when I can no longer jump.

MITF:
Five step mohawk,and on a good day, power threes!

Programs (yours or someone else's):
My Pre Bronze free to "Titan Spirit" from "Remember the Titans"
Kurt Browning's "That's Entertainment" program from 1995.

Thing done at the rink:
One of the kids that no longer skates with us landing his first triple after many tries ( I think it was the triple salchow).

Story:
Having Yamaguchi, Eldredge, Cousins, Bobek, Sato, Dunjgen,Ina Zimmerman, Sumners and a few others at our rink for Holiday Celebration on Ice rehearsals last December. It's one thing to see them on TV or at their rink, but when it's YOUR rink- it's a different story!

Time of day to skate:
Anytime I can get to the rink!

Clothing:
Depends- sometimes I'm in a dress and tights mood, other times leggings and a shirt!

TwirlGirl10
08-13-2005, 09:32 AM
1. Skating move (anything)- Spread Eagles
2. Jump-axel and double salchow
3. Spin- camel- sit
4. Dance- never done dance
5. Move in the field- edge pulls!
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's)- my current one :)
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink-Triple salchow
8. Story you've heard about skating- Have heard tons, just can't remember any of them!
9. Time of day to skate- morning, 6am
10. Clothing to wear while skating- skirts and dresses, I hate pants!

sunshinepointe
08-13-2005, 03:16 PM
1. Skating move (anything)- Back spirals, shoot the ducks, lunge with a backbend, completing ANY jump or spin well, a funky footwork combo.
2. Jump- Right now the toe loop is my best consistent jump, but I like the lutz and flip too, although they aren't 100% clean. I've been told when I'm "on" my loop is my best jump.
3. Spin- I don't have too many, so I guess my sit spin when I can actually do it. I've been having spin problems lately.
4. Dance- I don't know but dance looks cool
5. Move in the field- Back outside power 3's and some fancy schmancy footwork
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's)- They're all impressive to me. I'm inspired to learn a program :)
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink- My coach (former National champ) has an AMAZING sit spin that just goes and goes and goes forever...I've seen people do triple jumps at the rink as well and my jaw just drops.
8. Story you've heard about skating- My coach tells me horror stories about getting kicked in the teeth and being knocked unconscious and stuff...right in the middle of my lesson. Always a boost of confidence :roll:
9. Time of day to skate- I skate my best in the afternoon and evening - I'm not a morning person at all
10. Clothing to wear while skating- Either shorts or stretchy pants - Shorts and tights if I have a lesson. I wear toe socks over my tights for extra cushion. I'll wear a t-shirt with whatever I'm wearing, but the length and fit will depend on my pants and how much I'm trying to cover up. I stopped wearing gloves entirely about a month ago.

mikawendy
08-13-2005, 08:46 PM
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink- My coach (former National champ) has an AMAZING sit spin that just goes and goes and goes forever...

I'll second that--I love to watch my coach's sit spin, too. Great position, and SOOOOOOO fast. I don't quite understand how to make mine spin that fast (or anything remotely close to that fast) without losing the position or traveling--I've got to conquer the traveling and find the sweet spot more often before I think about speed....

SkaterGeek
08-14-2005, 09:21 PM
Hi!

I'm peeping out from "lurkdom" to make a shot at this!

Here goes...

What is your favorite...
1. Skating move (anything) -
anything with edges, especially bauer glides, which I can't do (yet?)
(knock on wood...)
2. Jump-
axel!!
3. Spin-
sit spin!
4. Dance-
The 14-step is my favorite, though I could also watch most of the
waltzes totally forever!!!
5. Move in the field-
double-3s
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's)- John Curry's "Afternoon of a
Faun," Toller Cranston's "I Pagliacci" (sp?), Dorothy Hamill's "One Rock
and Roll too Many" (and a beeellion others)
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink-
A girl at our rink did a sit spin with her free leg up over her head.
8. Story you've heard about skating- My coach told me about the time that
the judges' hospitality table caught fire at Eastern Sectionals, and they
evacuated the building; the young lady who was skating while the
building was being evacuated, was having an awesome skate, and
finished her routine; the judges kept judging and scribbling notes on
pads of paper even as they were being pushed out of the building.
My coach didn't say what year that was, and I don't know if she
placed or not.
9. Time of day to skate-
verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry early morning!!!
10. Clothing to wear while skating-
anything comfy - usually skating skirt or dress with t-shirt or
sweatshirt and multiple layers of tights/footless tights.
oh, and skates. (I had a dream just before I went back to skating
following maternity leave, that I went to the rink, and went charging
out onto the ice to skate, but when I got out there, couldn't do
anything - no gliding, stroking, nothing; so I looked down at my feet
and realized that I'd been in such a hurry to get on the ice that I
forgot to put my skates on! Does anyone else have dreams like that?)

- SkaterGeek

Chico
08-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Favorites...

1.skating move - forward cross strokes, back power pulls and attitude spiral

2.jump - loop

3.spin - sit spin and scratch with my arms over my head

4.dance - don't

5.move in the field - rolling three's at the moment (new =-))

6.favorite program -I love most of Michelle's. I LOVE her falling leaf.

7.something I've seen - attitude spiral into a regular spiral (I can do both, I just need to learn how to combine them.)

8.?

9.time of day to skate - early (I like the 7:00 a.m. session.)

10.clothing - I'd like to wear jeans. =-) Not practical, so Danskin tights and wrap skirt.

Chico

icenut84
08-15-2005, 03:14 PM
All this is assuming it's a good day :D

What is your favorite...
1. Skating move (anything) - a move where my legs are crossed on deep edges and I do an expressive arm/head position, cause it feels good and people always look when I do it, lol! Also, really fast and smooth backward crossovers, or a back inside pivot
2. Jump - toe loop (or toe-toe combo)
3. Spin - I can't do anything more than upright (and even that not very well, since I rarely get to practice and haven't had a lesson for ages), but when it works it feels good.
4. Dance - haven't done them for a long time, but my faves were Swing Dance and British Waltz
5. Move in the field - LFO spiral, or BO3-mohawk sequence (clockwise is best)
6. Skating program (yours or someone else's) - I've never had one :( My faves from last season (cause otherwise this list would be too long) include Plushenko's Godfather, Kostner's LP and Annette Dytrt's SP (Danse Macabre)
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink - We once played a giant game of British Bulldog on the ice (a fast tagging game) and it was a blast! Also, there's this guy who skates at my rink, and he's really good but I love watching him skate because he's always got a really happy smile on his face, it's like every practice for him is a good skate day, and he just looks so contented and positive. It makes me smile too :)
8. Story you've heard about skating - not one that I've "heard" exactly, but Irina Slutskaya's comeback at Worlds this last season was pretty amazing.
9. Time of day to skate - in the morning, about 9:30 or 10am I reckon
10. Clothing to wear while skating - stretchy black trousers and a coloured vest top (as long as it's warm enough), with gloves. I've never skated in a dress or skirt (not that I don't want to, just never had one)

babeonblades
08-15-2005, 11:43 PM
1. Skating move: double loop
2. Jump: double loop
3. Spin: sit spin
4. Dance: 14 step
5. Move in the field:hhmm not sure on this oone
6. Skating program; the one i have now to malaguena
7. Thing you've seen someone do at the rink: when my dance coach was skating with someone else and did a total face plant n the middle of the dance then tripped his aprtner hoo slid like soo far beside him. everyone just stopped and stared them then proceeded to burst out laughing
8. Story you've heard about skating: people at my rink amazingly landing triples on a second try. hmm seems a little fishy to me
9. Time of day to skate: night like 8 pm
10. Clothing to wear while skating: black velvet skirt with bakc long sleeved dkny top and fleece over top to add cushioning when falling