View Full Version : Dance Boots VS. Figure Boots

skippyjoy_207
07-05-2005, 10:21 AM
What's the difference between the two? Can dance boots be used for figure skating? Specifically, I'm looking at JACKSON ELITE SUPREME DANCE. There is a figure version of it, and both are the same prices, but my pro shop doesn't have it. Would the dance version work for me?

luna_skater
07-05-2005, 10:45 AM
Are you asking about figure boots (specifically for figures), or freeskate boots (jumps, spins, the works)?

Dance boots are cut lower and have less support than a freeskate boot, to allow for more bend. You might be able to get away with singles in dance boots, but probably not much more than that.

Sweet16*skater
07-05-2005, 01:58 PM
It can be really dangerous to do jumps in dance boot... the max you can do would be the little jumps done in dance and a few of the singles maybe...the dance boot doesn't have enough support for anything else they are really made for dancers who bend a lot.

CanAmSk8ter
07-05-2005, 02:52 PM
If you're a true beginner, I would think the Elite Supreme Plus Dance would be too stiff for you. I compete in solo dance at the Junior level, and that's what I wear- I've had mine for nine months, I skate five or six days a week, and they're just starting to crease.

If you're beyond beginner and you're jumping, I'd stay away from them because they're not designed for that. With the low back, picking in for toe jumps could get treacherous. I jump in mine occasionally while I'm teaching, but I would never try anything harder than a single loop in them, and I used to do all my doubles except the axel.

Bottom line: dance boots are designed for dance. A true beginner could probably get away with wearing a low-end dance boot, but not the one you're talking about.

JulieN
07-06-2005, 11:33 AM
Another feature of a dance boot is the scallops near the point where the lace holes end and the hooks start. This really helps knee bend. Even for freeskaters, I would recommend getting at least a notch on the boot (one scallop contains two notches). Every one (dancers and freestylers) need knee bend and it is much easier to bend with the notch.

I don't know your level, but a common mistake is to buy too stiff of a boot. The mentality is that the stiffer the boot, the longer it will last. While this is true, it can also mean a very long break-in period. Some skaters never break their skates in because they were too stiff for their level to begin with.