View Full Version : New skates...tape or no tape?

Sweet16*skater
07-04-2005, 09:45 AM
Ok I just bought new skates and they were a fortune. I have a feeling that I am going to have them for a long time or so says my mom who paid for them...I wanted to know what is the best way to keep them in good condition other than letting them air out and drying them well. My sister once taped her new skates and the tape left the sticky stuff on her boots, I'm scared that the same will happen to me...I know that I could also wear leotards that cover my skates, but when I wear pants it's really ugly...Any other suggestions?

luna_skater
07-04-2005, 10:08 AM
If you tape them, just make sure to take the tape periodically to avoid the sticky mess, and to make sure water isn't seeping in to rot the leather!

Skate@Delaware
07-04-2005, 02:27 PM
You could also start getting a nice collection of boot covers! I have 4 colors (although I lost 1 black and 1 white during a show and can't find them...)
Just remember, put them on BEFORE you put your skates on unless you like to unlace and relace your skates... :oops:

If you tape, Goo-Gone takes off the tape residue. I've used it on my skates. Then you can do the whole saddle soap, white cream polish, etc routine...

Don't forget to seal the soles of your skates (if they are leather).

stardust skies
07-04-2005, 07:34 PM
I would either get over the boot tights (easiest way to cover them up, get the THICK kind, though, the thin kind gets runs and holes in them right away and don't protect anything), or just resolve to the fact that they're going to get beat up (they will eventually) and make sure to erase the scuffs weekly with rubbing alcohol and polish them every couple of weeks with a nice, thick, shiny skating boot polish. Rainbo Sports sells some, I'm sure other places have it too. I use the matte boot polish first, then use a supermarket-brand of sneaker "high shine" polish on top. My skates look new. Well, from far away, anyway. ;)

vesperholly
07-04-2005, 10:08 PM
Definitely tape your skates. You can get the sticky stuff from the tape off with Goo Gone and a cotton ball. You don't have to tape the whole boot, just around the toes and the heels where you are most likely to stab them with your other toe pick or scuff them falling on the ice. Retape them every few months or so to prevent junk from accumulating on the edges of the tape which will leave a dirt line that can be difficult to get off.

I hate over the boot covers. I think they look ugly. And I only approve of over the boot tights when they're not pulled over the heel - when skaters do that it makes them look flat footed and clunky, even if they're not. :halo:

diagetus
07-04-2005, 10:57 PM
As far as getting the gooey tape residue off, I second vesperholly's advice. Goo Gone does wonders for just about anything out there. I love that stuff.

Elsy2
07-05-2005, 11:10 AM
I always used a bit of Comet cleanser to get the tape residue off along with any black marks. Works great. Even after having the tape on far too long.

Mrs Redboots
07-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Two words:

BOOT COVERS!

Available in a rainbow of colours (I have, I think, 12 pairs or more), so you can ring the changes. Keep your boots pretty much like new underneath, plus they keep your laces tucked in so you can't trip in them. And over-boot tights for competition.

Except that one of the Mountain Cup coaches pointed out, the day I wore my baby-blue boot covers, that this was going to make him look at my feet more than at Husbands, so now I wear black or navy boot-covers for our couples lesson! I had been (our couples lesson being on a Sunday) wearing boot-covers in the liturgical colours of the season, but no more....

Sweet16*skater
07-05-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm not a big fan of skate cover...I really like that my skates are brand new and REALLY white...for now I'm just leaving the as they are...I do have leg warmers that covers the back of them when I do foot work and drags...
So far I only have a small black scuff on them and i've skated a few time...is there anyway to get those off with out damaging the boot?
Thanks for the advice