View Full Version : Have you ever been in a Skating Movie?

FSWer
07-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Say I was just courious to know if anyone here has ever played as a Skating Club Skater in a Skating Movie?

batikat
07-02-2005, 04:43 AM
No but I have been an extra in a UK TV 2 part drama to air this autumn with the divine David Tennant starring (as a rather nasty bit of work actually - which is so not him in reality!). The two main characters meet in an ice rink and skaters from our club were extras for the scene which supposedly resembles a public session (though skaters will know a public session is not like that at all). We were on ice from about 1.30pm to 6pm with a few short breaks as the shots are done over and over again from all angles. It was interesting but very tiring and I'm not sure I'd be in a hurry to volunteer again unless the actors are people I really like :lol: The director promised everyone woudl be able to recognise them selves but I reckon i'll need to video it and play in slow motion to spot myself and my kids.

Our feet were killing by the end so we did feel sorry for the actors and the director who spent the day in those blue plastic 'wellies' that pass for rental skates.

Mrs Redboots
07-02-2005, 06:57 AM
No - they did film one at our rink, but I was only just beginning to skate then, and didn't use patch ice. Those skaters who did, were included - and indeed, one of the coaches acted as a body double for the star. Can't even remember who it was, now.... the star, I mean, not the coach!

Then they filmed some linking bits of a story about John Curry at our rink, but all you saw was the skater's boot, spinning. And, of course, one of the couples from "Strictly Ice Dancing" trained at our rink, but the shots only ever showed one other skater, who wasn't me! Could have been, but we mostly tried to avoid getting into shot - not always possible, but as they filmed for about 3 weeks solid, and you saw about 2 minutes, it would have been very unfortunate if they *had* caught us!

Figureskates
07-02-2005, 07:32 AM
O lordy, not the way I skate!!

Maybe if they had filmed "Three Stooges at the Ice Capades" I could been a foil for Moe... :lol: :lol: :lol:

skaternum
07-02-2005, 04:08 PM
No, but I played myself in a skating movie. A co-worker needed a final project for her Documentary Studies work at Duke, and she decided to do a documentary short film about adult skating. So she followed me & my pairs partner around for almost 6 months, including to Peach Classic, and filmed us. The final film has been shown at several film festivals, and was resoundingly rejected by the Cannes Film Festival. :D

Perry
07-03-2005, 02:42 PM
I was in A Promise Kept (the one about Oksana Baiul) when I was 5 as a double for Oksana (the little one, obviously).