View Full Version : Dreadful Layback spin

cutiesk8r43
07-01-2005, 08:06 AM
ok so I've been learning how to do a layback spin but my coach says I'm not bending my left leg enough (I'm leftfooted) and that my head isn't rolling all the way back and also I'm dropping one shoulder. Any tips on how to fix that?
Thanx in advance :)
~cutie ;)

skaternum
07-01-2005, 08:52 AM
Yes.
1. Bend your left leg more.
2. Drop your head all the way back.
3. Raise your shoulder.

:twisted:

flo
07-01-2005, 09:14 AM
Hi,
It's not uncommon for all three of your problems to be present together, as the extended leg balances the laid back shoulders and head. So , it's important to work on all three together. Try to think of your spin as a big C, with your head and extended leg being the ends of the C. It's pretty natural to have one shoulder dropped lower than the other. One thing that can work on that and the head together is to try to look at the ice behind you. It's very dificult to actually do this, but trying to do this will even out your shoulders and bring your head back. Now the together part is that you don't want to really lay back without that free leg extended back as it won't be balanced and wour center will be thrown off. As you get use to the wt. shift you can lower your free leg to your skating leg while laid back.
I'd post a photo, but have never figured out how to do this.
Pm me your e-mail and I'll send it. Then you can see the C and draw a line through the "center".

Melzorina
07-01-2005, 01:11 PM
I haven't started to work on the layback yet, I doubt I ever will, because I just know I wouldn't be able to do t. I would find it impossible to spin with my head back, I'd fall over indefinetly.
Woohoo for you for working on it!

NickiT
07-01-2005, 01:42 PM
We were working on this today but I just can't push my hips forward. I know I'm arching my back as I can feel the pinch but pushing those hips forward seems impossible. I can't see me ever being able to do this!

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
07-01-2005, 01:44 PM
From all I've heard, it's not a skill I want to work on - everybody says you get really sick the first time you try!

*JennaD*
07-01-2005, 02:11 PM
Sorry I can't really give you any tips because my layback is really...really bad! :roll:
You just can't be scared to fall over backwards...lol that's happened to me a few times :roll:

flo
07-01-2005, 02:44 PM
That's what I thought, and I did fall back a few times, but then...

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13/flopair/layback.bmp