View Full Version : Recommened Amount of Jumps In a 1 Day Practice

rf3ray
06-30-2005, 08:39 AM
Ok, I basically skate everyday and have been focusing mostly on my spins, but now I am getting to focus more on my Jumps and wondering, what is a safe Maximum or Minimums of Practice Jumps I should be doing, The jumps I am learning are only single Jumps like Salcows and stuff, would you think 7 - 10 Practice jumps be safe for a Daily practice?

tidesong
06-30-2005, 09:01 AM
I think that for single jumps you really wouldnt have to worry about any maximum cap on practising them in just numbers. Probably when you start getting too tired for the practise to be useful is when you should stop. Other than that, singles really dont impact the body much (if you are doing them properly that is...) . 7 to 10 single salchows a day is definetly fine.

flippet
06-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Well....this is really going to vary by person, and skating level, and fitness level, and, and, and....

I probably tried at least 20 jump attempts on any given session (50 minutes long). Probably more, maybe less if I was feeling off my game. I just listened to my body and stopped whenever I needed to. But I kept going if things were working, and I felt I was fine-tuning something, or working something out.

If you were doing triples, I'd say maybe only a few, given the pounding the body takes, but with basic singles, you can probably do more, unless your technique is so bad that you're risking injury, or developing horrible bad habits, or if you're sore or something. The only thing to watch for is fatigue--if you're getting tired, you're not doing yourself or your skating any good by pushing it.

Mrs Redboots
06-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Ask your instructor! They'll probably be able to give you a good "practice routine" that you should follow on non-lesson days.

Casey
06-30-2005, 09:30 AM
I've never thought about a particular number - jumps have always been a part of my daily practice. I probably average like 25, and occaisionally a lot more than that with no ill effects (and then sometimes I go back for another few hours of torture later that day). Your body will tell you if it's had enough, not us. :P

NickiT
06-30-2005, 10:18 AM
I don't know, but I remember when I was doing about 30 lutzes in a session and telling my coach. Her reply was that I was doing far too many. I guess it depends on the individual. I have a hip problem which is aggravated by doing lots of jumps so that was probably what she was thinking of.

Nicki

sk8er1964
06-30-2005, 12:18 PM
There are nine junps in my warm up alone! :) (3 waltz jumps, a salchow, a loop, a flip, a lutz, and two axels.)

I'm like flippet, though. It depends on what my goals for the day are, how tired I am, etc. On average, I would guess that I do somewhere around 30-40 a session - I've never really counted. I'll go back and forth between singles and doubles (I'm working on the 2sal, 2toe and 2loop).

cutiesk8r43
06-30-2005, 02:58 PM
What I do is ,I keep doing the jump until I'm satisfyed on how it looks (sometimes it depends on the jump) then I start to practice something else
And by the time the practice is over hopefully I get through everything
~cutie ;)

skaternum
06-30-2005, 03:30 PM
It depends on several factors: How old are you? What shape are you knees in? Do you have any pain in your lower back? Hips? You should be able to figure out how many you can reasonably do through trial and error. You should feel a little muscular fatigue, but you shouldn't feel any joint, bone, or disc pain.

samba
06-30-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't know, but I remember when I was doing about 30 lutzes in a session and telling my coach. Her reply was that I was doing far too many. I guess it depends on the individual. I have a hip problem which is aggravated by doing lots of jumps so that was probably what she was thinking of.

Nicki

Gosh Nicki, I'm glad I dont compete against you, I thought Casey was pushing it at 25 jumps. I've never counted the amount of jumps I do but I think they would have to take me out in a box if I did that amount. I just jump until enough is enough and the time span gets shorter and shorter, I had a go at the dance because I can't see me jumping for much longer but I really am not a dancer so I guess I am just going to have to take up something more sedate like bungie jumping maybe :lol:

Perry
06-30-2005, 07:52 PM
With singles, you should be fine no matter how many you do (within reason). If you start getting sore, especially if you notice you still have any pain the next day, try cutting back on the number you do. After developing a hip injury three years ago, my surgeon had to limit the number of jumps I'm allowed to do in a session, but only for triples -- I'm only supposed to do 5 for every hour on the ice. I get around it by practicing the double or single until it's perfect -- the takeoff is the single most important part of the jump, once you get the takeoff, if you can pull in and stand up, you have the jump. If you do have trouble and have to limit the number of jumps you're doing a day, try just practicing takeoffs, stopping right before you would jump. This eliminates the pounding on your hips and knees, but you're still able to practice the hardest part.

NickiT
07-01-2005, 02:44 AM
Gosh Nicki, I'm glad I dont compete against you, I thought Casey was pushing it at 25 jumps. I've never counted the amount of jumps I do but I think they would have to take me out in a box if I did that amount. I just jump until enough is enough and the time span gets shorter and shorter, I had a go at the dance because I can't see me jumping for much longer but I really am not a dancer so I guess I am just going to have to take up something more sedate like bungie jumping maybe :lol:

I wouldn't worry too much. Even if I can perfect 30 lutzes in practice, getting one decent one in competition is a different ball game. Still I did manage it last week!!! Seriously though I don't jump anywhere near as much now. I just don't like the pain afterwards! Now I just do 5 or 6 of my more difficult jumps. I suppose it all depends on how confident you are on that particular jump. At the time I was doing heaps of lutzes, I was still learning it, but now I feel I have it pretty well sorted so I don't need to do so many!

Nicki

doubletoe
07-02-2005, 01:53 AM
As long as you vary the jumps you're doing, you should be able to jump for an hour and be fine (unless you have some specific knee, hip or back problem). But if you practice the same jump for more than half an hour, you will probably just start getting worse, since your muscles will be tired and you will be out of confidence and energy. You may also get shin splints, aggravate a knee, etc. So once the jump starts falling apart and you lose focus and energy, move on to something else.

stardust skies
07-02-2005, 03:40 AM
There's really no amount of single jumps that are too many. They're just single jumps. So long as you are fit and healthy with no injuries, there's no reason to limit singles. I don't even limit doubles- if you do them right, they're not that high impact, either. It's triples you should limit, and really, if you're healthy and well trained, you shouldn't have to limit them all THAT much anyways. Just use common sense. Your body will tell you if something is wrong. Pain is your body's way of saying "stop". Listen to it, and you'll be fine. Of course, some pain is NORMAL, and comes with the territory. You will eventually figure out what a good limit is for you.

Casey
07-02-2005, 04:17 AM
You may also get shin splints, aggravate a knee, etc.
Hey, sorry for being a retard. I've seen this term used before, but what exactly are shin splints? How does one obtain/remove them?

stardust skies
07-02-2005, 07:12 PM
From www.webmd.com (the best source to look up ANY health-related concerns):

"Shin splints can be caused by sudden increases in mileage, walking uphill, overtraining, walking faster than normal, jumping, running stairs, or just too much distance. They can occur on the medial, or inside of the shin, or on the lateral, or outside of your shin. Medial shin splints are usually caused by excessive pronation or flat feet, and often by pounding from running, or sports like tennis, volleyball, and other weight-bearing activities. If you have medial shin splints and flat feet or excessive pronation, an orthotic device or over-the-counter arch support like Powerfeet or Spenco can sometimes be helpful. Make sure it's a full-length insert.

Lateral shin splints (sometimes called anterior shin splints) are usually due to overuse and inflammation of the anterior tibialis muscle and the muscle compartment in the front of the leg, along the outside front of your shin. The anterior tibialis muscle flexes your foot upward. People frequently get anterior shin splints from the repetition of flexing the muscle. For instance, on the treadmill, if you walk fast enough, and for long enough, or if you've suddenly increased the speed, or you're walking on an elevation, the muscle gets overworked and starts to cramp. It would be like doing hundreds of biceps curls until your arm started to cramp. Plus, on the treadmill, there's no letup since the mill just keeps going. You could potentially have the same problem if you walked or ran briskly outdoors for a long period of time at a speed faster than you're used to.

Treatment for shin splits includes rest, massage, ice, stretching, and strengthening. Rest and ice is sometimes the best treatment. You should also be stretching your calves and Achilles tendon real well. If you have the problem during running or walking, try warming up more and don't increase the speed too quickly. You can also try varying the speed and elevation of the treadmill if you use one instead of keeping it the same."

Casey
07-02-2005, 11:00 PM
But what exactly *are* they? I'm not so much interested in what causes them and how to treat them as what exactly they are. Splints sounds a lot like splinters, and a splintering shin would certainly be a problem indeed! But I'm sure that's not what they are... I looked on webmd just now and found the same stuff, but no real description of what they are. I'll poke around some more later...

TreSk8sAZ
07-03-2005, 12:14 AM
What I understood my doctor say when I had them (during track) is the muscles around the shin become inflamed and pull away from the shin bone, creating pain. The inflammation is caused as Stardust posted. But the actual problem is the muscle pulling away from the shin. This is why, when taping shin splints, you tape from inside to outside and at an upward diagonal, to keep the separation from occurring.

Hope this is what you are looking for