View Full Version : Bad Spin Days

rf3ray
06-28-2005, 06:52 AM
Ok Is it me, or does everyone get bad spin days, like this morning when I went to the rink, I did some great forward crossfoot spins and backward spins and then this afternoon, they turned crap, anyone experience this phenomena? Or should I just limit my skating to once a day..... I am so annoyed that I lost it in the span of less than 24hours aaaaaaaaarhg arrrhg :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:

Isk8NYC
06-28-2005, 07:21 AM
Just make sure your blades are sharp, eat a good lunch, and get plenty of rest the night before. Did you just add a second session each day? Your stamina might not have caught up with you yet. Give it some time and/or go easier in the morning and see what happens.I used to have those split-shift sessions and the later one was trying.

sk8er1964
06-28-2005, 01:07 PM
Every day is a bad spin day for me. :twisted:

However, when I have a bad day with a particular element, I simply leave it alone and come back to it another day.

kittie067
06-28-2005, 03:52 PM
I know exactly how you feel!

My spins always seem to disappear when I do them in front of my coach. Especially my sit spin.

You're not the only one!

I find that it's easier to spin when the ice is not all scratched up. Sometimes I spin better after I've finished everything else and just concentrate on spinning, but that doesn't always seem to work.... :frus:

Good luck spinning!!!
~kittie

Chico
06-28-2005, 10:10 PM
Yep. =-) My experience is that if it's a REALLY bad spin day my blades need to be sharpened. If their just sorta on the fritz, it's just one of those days. If it's just one of those days work on something else. It's not a good idea to practice bad habits. Usually I don't have a bad spin AND jump day, so go jump. =-

Chico

Anita18
06-29-2005, 01:37 AM
When I have a bad spin day, I just have to breeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaathe and get refocused. When it's a good spin day sometimes you don't have to think about what you're doing, but when it's a bad spin day, obviously you're doing something wrong. And then it's the perfect time to learn! :)

Frustration easily sets in though and that's never productive, so just remember to laugh at your bad spin attempts. Always helps me.

NickiT
06-29-2005, 02:50 AM
Absolutely. I rarely get bad spin days with my sit spin or scratch spin now, but when it comes to my camel I get them regularly. It's really frustrating that I can go one day and do several that feel really good, then come another day and can't pull off more than a couple of reasonable ones. I think so much is dependant on muscle memory and when it comes to a particular spin that you're not so confident on, you can mess up the technique by a fraction and the resulting spin is poor. I also find that once a spin goes wrong, the more I try it the worse it gets, so I leave it for a while, go off and do something else and come back to it later.

Nicki

cutiesk8r43
06-29-2005, 07:38 AM
that happenes to me alllllll the time.One time I really needed my skates sharpened and me and my coach were working on spins I told her my skates needed sharpening but that didn't seem to hint enough to stop with the spins.... :roll:

~cutie ;)

vintagefreak
06-29-2005, 07:55 AM
I spin the best on freshly cut, softer ice. Also, making sure my blades are sharp helps with staying centered. The ice conditions are pretty much beyond your control, but maybe if you have a chance to practice spins right away after an ice cut, you'll notice an improvement. I found that when my spins are going well on good ice, I'm better able to do them properly on on cruddy ice later. It's all about confidence and concentration with me. I also notice that the more power and speed I have when I'm going into the spin, the better the chances are they will be centered and I can hold them longer. If I go into them slower, they are terrible. So take for instance the fwd scratch spin. If I make my circle of back crossovers larger and more powerful, getting a really good 3 turn out of them into the spin with a deep edge, then my spin is decent. If I make a small, wimpy circle (which usually happens in front of my coach) then I can't really get my free leg out and up higher where I need it and the rest of the spin suffers. I have to be aggressive to have a good spin.

Anyway, this is just me but maybe something you could try is working on spins at the beginning of a session when the ice is good.

*IceDancer1419*
06-29-2005, 10:36 AM
I live in a perpetual "bad spin day". :roll: I'm SO bad at spinning... I can SOMETIMES do a one foot but barely, and it usually travels a good bit... (I often go up too far on my toe)

I always talk abotu my GOOD spin days, because they're VERY few and far between (I think I've only had one so far ;) )

Mrs Redboots
06-29-2005, 11:59 AM
I live in a perpetual "bad spin day". :roll: I'm SO bad at spinning... I can SOMETIMES do a one foot but barely, and it usually travels a good bit... (I often go up too far on my toe)Ditto, likewise, and exactly! Husband and I have a very respectable couples spin these days in our free dance, but spinning solo? Let's not go there..... My spin seems to increase by 1/2 a revolution a year, so that this season I'm sometimes getting 2.5 revolutions - BIG DEAL, not! As for husband's, for every fast, centred and multi-revolution spin he gets (at which point I am invariably summoned to inspect the tracing and congratulate him), he does a zillion that travel, or he sticks his bum out and nearly falls over, or..... I think I've told here before how he once spun hard into the plexiglass.... but he still spins too near the barrier!

doubletoe
07-02-2005, 01:46 AM
Ok Is it me, or does everyone get bad spin days, like this morning when I went to the rink, I did some great forward crossfoot spins and backward spins and then this afternoon, they turned crap, anyone experience this phenomena? Or should I just limit my skating to once a day..... I am so annoyed that I lost it in the span of less than 24hours aaaaaaaaarhg arrrhg :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus: :frus:

Absolutely! I have had many why-am-I-even-trying-this-is-ridiculous spin days. But I have learned to see those days as a blessing. If I can find a technique that fixes my spin even on those days, I will always be able to make the spin happen. Life. . . lemons. . . lemonade. . . You know the saying. ;)

Casey
07-02-2005, 04:15 AM
And then, sometimes, even though you've been up for like 36 hours, you go skating and have a GREAT spinning day despite all logical reasoning. Happened to me today, and it's not the first time that lack of sleep has had positive effect on my spinning (jumps suffer though). I don't get it at all.

*IceDancer1419*
07-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Casey... maybe you're thinking too hard! :P ;) (as in, when fully awake). When half asleep ;) you don't think as hard :P

I know I have troubles with 3 turns (the step forward for the preliminary moves pattern, not the 3 itself) because I think too much about them :rolleyes: