View Full Version : Continuing Saga of My Left Foot

dbny
06-27-2005, 11:44 PM
I finally got my orthotics, and on Saturday, I went back to Klingbeils for the third time to try to get my L boot to compensate for my severe pronation. This time I brought my new $400 orthotics (insurance paid $100, and the podiatrist said she would not accept that as full payment again :evil: ) so they could see what I needed. After saying that the orthotic was plastic and they didn't have the same materials available, Bill put a wedge under the sesamoid area and I tried it out today. Still no good, plus it hurt like h*ll. I was so very down in the dumps anyway; I got off the ice and took my orthotics out my sneakers, cut the toe on the L one to fit into my boot (it was too long for my sneakers anyway) and went back out. Problem solved! Even though the R didn't seem to be a problem, I decided both orthotics needed to go into the boots, since they were slightly thicker than the original insoles. Did the same with the R.

After replacing both insoles with the orthotics, I was on top of my skates like I have never been before! It was most pronounced on F power pulls. I also figured out why I never had a problem with BO edges and only with FO edges - the foot problem originates with the heel being out of alignment. When skating backwards, the weight is to the front of the blade, reducing the severity of the problem. Anyway, I really did not get a very good practice, and skating with the orthotics is going to take some getting used to. Also, because my foot is just a smidgen higher in the boot, there was a new pressure point on my R ankle. My feet hurt from the orthotics, but it is better than not being able to skate properly. Now I've got to call my insurance company and rat out the podiatrist, and see if I can get a second set of orthotics from the manufacturer, who does accept the insurance payment as payment in full! Even if the insurance won't pay for another pair, I can shell out the $100, but I'm not going to pay the podiatrist $400!

Debbie S
06-28-2005, 11:16 AM
Glad to hear you're skating better. It sounds like the orthotics are helping, but if your feet still hurt, you might want to get that checked out.