View Full Version : How do you define an "Attitude Spin"?

Integrity
06-27-2005, 02:09 PM
Hi Everyone:

I am thinking about competing in a spin competition where one of the required spins is either a layback or attitude spin. Since my layback is quite stinky, I was going to do what I think is an attitude spin. Is this an attitude?

Skating leg bent, free leg out to the side, straight in the knee (not bent like a layback) with knee & toe facing up, not out. I believe Angela Nikodinov used to do a spin like this.

Thanks in advance,

Integrity

phoenix
06-27-2005, 02:32 PM
I was taught an attitude spin was w/ your free leg in an "attitude" position, as defined in ballet. So basically it's a layback spin from the waist down. :lol:

Your back stays vertical (iow, you do not lay it back), your arms can do whatever you want & your head stays up like a normal spin too. But your free leg is bent & turned out, behind you as much as possible, just like a layback.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone?

skaternum
06-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Is this an attitude? Skating leg bent, free leg out to the side, straight in the knee (not bent like a layback) with knee & toe facing up, not out. I believe Angela Nikodinov used to do a spin like this.
No, this is not an attitude spin. What phoenix described is pretty much correct: it's like a layback spin, but your torso is upright, not arching back. Your free leg is in essentially the same position as a layback, but because you'er not arching back, it should be higher. The thigh should form a right angle with the lower part of the leg. Hard to describe, but I can't find a decent picture easily.

Integrity
06-27-2005, 04:12 PM
I think I get the picture, thanks for the quick responses. :)

vintagefreak
06-29-2005, 08:09 AM
I think this is a beautiful spin, by the way. I think its a little easier than a layback and looks very elegant. I wish more people would do them in comps! I am sooo sick of Biellmanns etc. that everyone seems to be doing now. Good luck with your spin comp!

(proud owner of a stinky layback as well)