View Full Version : Rebuilding skates

Stormy
06-27-2005, 12:55 PM
I am finally getting my skates rebuilt, since new ones aren't really an option financially at the moment! :) My skates were used when I got them, and I bought them from a friend in 2002, and she'd probably had them a year when I got them. They fit better than any skates I'd had before, and they still fit great, but they definitely are breaking down big time.
So I am getting them rebuilt and am wondering what to expect when I get them back. Are they going to be really stiff, like to the point of breaking them in all over again? I am probably going to get the tongue replaced as well, since all the foam is old and gross and flattened, as well as having them painted beige. I am really bummed about having to get them painted beige, but my new synchro team requires it. :(
So any hints on what to expect when I get them back are appreciated! :)

skaternum
06-27-2005, 01:14 PM
I had a pair of skates rebuilt. The inside felt just the same as it did before I sent them in, so that was a relief. They definitely felt stiffer, but required very little break-in compared to new skates -- probably because the insides were unchanged. Only my ankles noticed the difference.

blue111moon
06-27-2005, 01:16 PM
I had one pair of Reidells rebuilt after the sole rotted out prematurely (bad leather, they said) and never had any problems when I got them back. They looked like new skates but fit like old ones. I got three more years out use out of them after that. But when they did break down again, they were gone, not even good for resale or use as pond skates.

Figureskates
06-27-2005, 01:57 PM
I had a pair rebuilt and I found only a small breakin period was needed. I use them now as my patch skates. I got my freestyle skates relined last summer. There was little break in time with these as well.

It might depend on who does it. I had my skate guy in Wilmington, MA do mine.

luna_skater
06-27-2005, 02:10 PM
When I got my Riedells rebuilt after 3 years of use, they felt like CEMENT BLOCKS. They were stiffer than when I bought them! However, friends of mine that had their skates rebuilt found that they broke down again after a couple years. Mine never did!