View Full Version : Icehouse Adult Camp Reports

MusicSkateFan
06-26-2005, 10:10 PM
:) I will open this up now and make my comments after a few others do! Hopefully some of the other participants will post their thoughts. This was my first time there so I hope to hear from some of the veterans first!

8-)

Debbie S
06-26-2005, 10:21 PM
Yes, do tell! Inquiring minds want to know! :)

icecatepairs
06-26-2005, 11:06 PM
still recovering from the weekend...did the pairs track. for the most part it was good. I'm sure that because it was new to do pairs they have a few kinks to work out. we has no off ice lifts so we convinced Craig to let us skip dance with Christine to add it in. It was tiring because by the time we got to it it was the second day. the second off ice lift class with john was at the end of sunday. for the most part the off ice classes are necessary to fill schedule blocks but i think most of the pairs sakters just wanted to be on the ice..there is so much info to cover...jumps, throws . side by side. spins: pairs spins, side by side spins, pairs stroking, lifts , deathspirals. connected spirals...just more categories than singles (did that track last year) so maybe next year lifts in place of ballet and stretching...also the numbers seemed low this year but everyone seemd to have good things to say.I may be wrong but i think the staff was smaller, basically with the smaller numbers all the groups had the big name coachesnot junior staff mambers form icehouse. the raffle was a fun idea...and the superlative awards at the end were funny. I'm not sure how the show went ( the dance contest) I think its great that they offered it ....i know some people really got in to it..We left before that because pairs did lifts instead of dance so we were not in it. any other commentary from the singles or dance?

;)

Casey
06-27-2005, 01:17 AM
the link for photos is
That link doesn't work!!

FrankR
06-27-2005, 08:00 AM
Hello all,

I did the freestyle track at the camp and thought that everything went very well. As always, the staff was excellent. This year the freestyle track was a bit smaller and so it does appear as if they reduced the size of the staff accordingly. This was the first year that Oksana Baiul participated in the camp. She played an interesting role as she wasn't assigned specific classes but rather she would drop in on classes each session and offer tips and advice. She was very pleasant and more than willing to spend extra time working with skaters if they were having trouble (needless to say I was having trouble ;) ). However, as pleasant as she is, she is all business when it comes to helping skaters. After each tip I would thank her and she would say "Don't thank me now, just go out there and do it." :lol: No wonder she gets along so well with Edward Van Campen! :mrgreen:

I can't say enough about the moves and spin sessions with Edward. Those that know me and the aforementioned moves instructor know that he is one of my personal coaches. However, I can assure you that what I am about to say is not an attempt to kiss up to the coach in an effort to coerce him into taking it easy on me. Those that know the aforementioned moves instructor are also quite aware that flattery will not get you very far with him as he is also all business when it comes to teaching. :P Basically, each session with him is not only a "skating lesson" but really a lesson on how to think like a skater. It's like geometry for skaters. For every move and every spin, he dissects it to the nth degree. In the end, I'm still not able to do every element we covered, but I left with a thorough understanding of what the move or spin should look like and what I should be doing to make it work (even if I can't really physically do it yet :frus: ).

It's always a joy to take lessons from John and Sylvia. They both have studied under different philosophies of coaching and take the time to explain different ideas regarding the same particular element and what worked for them and didn't work for them. Of course, they stress that each person is different and that each person has to find what works specifically for them. I also loved having Sylvia on the second day because both she and I are lefties! I didn't have to transpose instructions anymore! Yee-ha! :D Besides all of the above, they are also the two most supportive and pleasant people I've met on the ice.

I had two classes with Robin Wagner this time around and I always enjoy her energy. Unfortunately, I suffer severely from "the coach effect" whenever she's around. Last year, she taught spins and asked me to try a camel spin. I ended up nearly spiking myself into the ice head first. This year in our edge quality class, I was catching edges left and right and I felt like a clydesdale horse cavorting around the ice. :cry: However, despite whatever trouble a skater might be having she has a knack of coming up to you, looking you in the eye and reassuring you in such a way that you feel you can do anything. She would offer some advice and reassurance and I would immediately feel better.

At the end of the first day we my group had power stroking with Peter Tchernyshev. First off, let me just say 8O 8O 8O :bow: :bow: :bow: . The guy takes one push and travels across practically the entire ice surface. (Okay so this might be a bit of an exaggeration but not by much I assure you). He gave us plenty of exercises to work on to improve our power and he stressed the importance of fully employing the skating leg on both forward and backward crossovers and encouraged us to not be afraid to really lean into our edges. I have a feeling that it's going to take me a while to really lean into things like he does but it was great to watch him and learn from him and hopefully a little of what he can do will rub off on me. (God, are you listening?)

The off-ice classes were great as well. The off-ice dance seminar with Christine was thoroughly enjoyable. Our group became completely obsessed with a dance number she taught us and we spent our break period on the first day running through the choreography right in the lobby! (Special shout-out to Rose Auslander who is one heck of a dancer herself and was the glue that held our little dance number together! ;) ) I also got great advice from Christine regarding on-ice presentation as well. Thanks Christine! Despite the fact that I'm not particularly flexible, I always enjoy the stretch class taught by Tatiana Drouchinina (Artur Dmitriev's wife). It's not just the stretches but she also does the whole class choreographed to music. Watching the way she moves is always a treat. She also offers helpful hints on exercises for everything from mainting a healthy back to drills for crossovers positions, spiral and layback positions and even developing added flexibility for doing splits! I'll be working on those babies every friggin' day! :D

Well that's all for now. This post is quickly taking on the proportions of a novel. So, bottom line is I had a blast! I hope everyone else did as well.

Frank

flo
06-27-2005, 08:34 AM
I'd like to see a workshop where you could register for specific sessions, and even pay by the type of session. Having the "tracks" is a good start.

Is anyone going to the all pairs clinic in Chicago? There are 10 pairs (the limit) registered.

NoVa Sk8r
06-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the report, Frank. I barely got to speak to any of the freestyle track campgoers, so it was interesting to hear what transpired on that end of the camp.

As for pairs, I know that everyone had a completely satisfying and copacetic experience. But let me tell you, I am sore all over. Good lord.

As icecatepairs wrote, we worked on every aspect of pairs skating. Even during the storking exercises, we were instructed to think about presentation. Loops and I are gonna work hard to incorporate some of these presentation moves and transitions innto our next program.
Although we cannot do many of the big-ticket pairs elements (eg., death spiral, on-ice platter lift, off-ice start lift), we were thoroughly happy to find out that many of the "non-strength" pairs elements were easy for us to attempt and accomplish (such as change of edge spiral sequence, chasse stroking exercise, alternate throw salchow/loop approaches).
As Frank mentioned, while we weren't able to fully accomplish the moves/elements, we left with a sese of HOW to approach them and what to work on so that the can become good/excellent.
Oksana even helped me learn the rocker/choctaw sequence and explained a nice technique. And she even landed a throw double salchow (I think).
On a side note, I was pleased as punch to see that Liz Putnam and Sean Wirtz were assisting in the pairs camp. Loops and I "borrowed" their end pose from a program a few seasons ago. 8-) We enjoyed showing them this position after a pairs exercise. I am particularly indebted to Sean because in the moves session with Ed, Sean rescued the pairs folk and showed us some stroking exercises. I use "rescued" because Ed Van C. was about to pull me aside and admonish me for my backward power stroking (which is horrendous--I've never learned it before). :P
I also had fun doing a throw salchow with Artur, as well as a split twist and an alligator (catch waist) camel spin. I even got Liz up in a star lift. 8-)

The off-ice session with Tatiana (the human pretzel) is always neat to experience. I was even able to showcase a few more flexibility moves--but I think that's why my right hip flexor is screaming today. 8O

Anyway, I know that I can say that I learned a lot and am eager to incorporate these new exercises/techniques into my daily skating regimen.

(Time for a nap!)

LoopLoop
06-27-2005, 09:05 AM
Sore all over is my mantra too. Back, arms, shoulders, hips... ouch ouch. And I don't think that the five hours in the car to get home helped at all!

The pairs track was great, and Craig confirmed that they will be offering it in future years since the turnout was so great (seven teams!). We spent a lot of time on stroking exercises and throws, a bit less on other pair elements like spins and death spirals. Artur's a great teacher, and Liz and Sean were very helpful also. Liz has only been skating pairs for three years!

I think that icecatepairs is right and we all wanted to be ON the ice, not OFF it, but I love the conditioning class. Two off-ice lift classes in one day was too much for Nova and I (we skipped the second one), especially on the second day. If there had been one each day it would have made more sense, but I'm sure Craig will change the schedule accordingly next year.

manleywoman
06-27-2005, 09:50 AM
Flo: I'm going to the Chicago pairs clinic as an observer, since a friend of mine is participating and she wanted to stay with me here in Chicago (and I'm her ride). Want me to report back?

flo
06-27-2005, 10:42 AM
Hi Manley,
I'm acutually going as well. I was wondering who the other pairs were. It will be great to see you out there.
Since you're in Chicago, have you ever been to the American Scientific Surplus store?

icecatepairs
06-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Casey,
please go in and remove the link from public viewing . I had to do the same as per the photographers request. could you go back in and delete the post? pm me and i'll explain. sorry for the screw up

Pairs people....Do you feel like you did when you first started pairs...sore in muscles you didn't know you had!!! :cry:

LoopLoop
06-27-2005, 12:23 PM
Pairs people....Do you feel like you did when you first started pairs...sore in muscles you didn't know you had!!! :cry:

YES! And that reminds me, time for more ibuprofen! 8O

NoVa Sk8r
06-27-2005, 12:28 PM
Right on ... I'm so sore that I'm only gonna go to the gym for *2* hours today. ;)

coskater64
06-27-2005, 12:51 PM
It was my first time at the adult camp and I thought it was much better than some of the other camps I had been too. I thought they were a little lose with the levels but for the most part it worked.

I did not like the field moves or the spins section because it was geared for only one level and it was not what was advertised. In the brochure it said we would learn new and interesting spin combinations, nope didn't happen. The moves -- well if you weren't working on the gold moves you were out of luck, this for the highest group. While I understand that the majority were working on Intermediate or gold moves, it would have been nice to get one iota of attention for my Jr moves. As a teacher of students who don't speak English I like to see teachers who are a little more flexible and able to handle multiple ability levels w/in one group. What the majority was taught was very good, but my friend and i were totally ignored. Same with the spins, as a gold lady I know the basics, I need work on harder spin combinations and flying spins. What we learned was fine but it was a review, we should have done more...

I watched the pairs practice off ice lifts, that was cool. The dancers looked very happy..I did like the jumps section with John and Silvia they were very charming and extremely good. Oxana was very funny and had a nice charm to her,--and of course Robin wagner pushes you to make every thing so perfect and fluid, it is always valuable because edge quality is a key thing w/ the new judging system.

So overall a very good time. Thumbs up!

FrankR
06-27-2005, 02:30 PM
Hi Leslie,

I can understand what you mean about the moves and spin sessions. As a matter of fact, I sat with Edward during lunch on the first day and he was a bit concerned that he wasn't able to address your specific needs. At last year's camp, every single session was covered by two coaches without exception. During the moves session for last year's group, we had another staff coach besides Edward and he was able to split the group into those working on moves below gold and those working on moves that were gold or above. This reduced the skater/coach ratio significantly and just about everyone got individual attention. It was also a similar story with the spin sessions and if I recall correctly we had two spin sessions last year instead of just one. If we had two sessions this year then perhaps it would have been possible to cover combination spins and flying spins. As it was, we had forty-five minutes to cover the entire scope of spins and that is no easy task even for the most gifted teacher. Your concerns certainly are valid and I'll pass them on to Craig if you'd like.

Thanks for coming to the camp and it was nice to meet you.

Take care,

Frank

...I did not like the field moves or the spins section because it was geared for only one level and it was not what was advertised. In the brochure it said we would learn new and interesting spin combinations, nope didn't happen. The moves -- well if you weren't working on the gold moves you were out of luck, this for the highest group. While I understand that the majority were working on Intermediate or gold moves, it would have been nice to get one iota of attention for my Jr moves. As a teacher of students who don't speak English I like to see teachers who are a little more flexible and able to handle multiple ability levels w/in one group. What the majority was taught was very good, but my friend and i were totally ignored. Same with the spins, as a gold lady I know the basics, I need work on harder spin combinations and flying spins. What we learned was fine but it was a review, we should have done more...

coskater64
06-27-2005, 04:17 PM
I understand that it is difficult to meet the needs of everyone, I hope I wasn't to harsh, I didn't know that the staffing was different from last year. But it was overall a good experience and I'd do it again.

leslie :D

Debbie S
06-27-2005, 04:43 PM
But it was overall a good experience and I'd do it again.

That's good to hear that you and everyone had a good time. I've never done the camp, but maybe next year...

For future reference, how do they divide into groups? I would assume it's done by test level? Or do the groups change based on moves or FS level, depending on what's being worked on? Do the groups rotate through the on-ice classes so one group's doing jumps, one doing spins, one doing moves, etc, at any given time, or is everyone on the ice at once and just working on elements at their level?

FrankR
06-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Hi Debbie,

I've done the camp each year and seeing as it's hosted by my home club I also have worked registration each year. :D

The past couple of years the primary criterion that they have used to divide the skaters into groups has been the most difficult jump the skater is landing consistently. Then as a secondary criterion they also consider the highest test level that the skater has passed for both moves in the field and freestyle.

Usually, each year, a few people want to move to a different group or perhaps sit in on a session with another group if that is of interest to the skater. This is fine. Typically, Craig, the director of the skating school at the Ice House, likes to know if a skater would like to switch groups in advance just to make sure that the group sizes are relatively uniform as to avoid over-crowding on the ice.

Each group has sessions scheduled throughout the day. The Ice House has four sheets of ice and usually three are reserved for the use of the camp. The groups attend their classes simulatenously (classes run for 45 minutes) and then rotate to their next class.

That's pretty much the gist of the camp. I hope we get to host it again next year and that you're able to make it. It would be great to meet you.

Take care,

Frank

That's good to hear that you and everyone had a good time. I've never done the camp, but maybe next year...

For future reference, how do they divide into groups? I would assume it's done by test level? Or do the groups change based on moves or FS level, depending on what's being worked on? Do the groups rotate through the on-ice classes so one group's doing jumps, one doing spins, one doing moves, etc, at any given time, or is everyone on the ice at once and just working on elements at their level?

Debbie S
06-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info, Frank!

Beccapoo2003
06-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Just a little bit of comical history here.....The first year of the Icehouse camp, at a late hour, my friend and I mooned the Zamboni driver from upstairs, and wouldn't cha know it......he mooned us right back while driving the Zamboni! 8O 8O 8O And a fine moon it was!!
Gotta love Adult Skating!! :D :D
Becca

MusicSkateFan
06-27-2005, 09:30 PM
I had a good time and I too am very sore today! I keep myself in pretty good shape but I m feeling it bad today! I too along with Loop Loop and NoVA had a 5 1/2 hour drive home that did not help!

I learned a good amount and overall felt it was worth it. I was being pushed a little in the moves and edges class since I have not taken bronze moves yet. I felt like the jump classes were good if you just went ahead and did what you could do! I felt after Robin's toe jump class that if I was going to get help with what I was working on then I had to go ahead and do it! During the jump combo class I just went ahead and did combos that I can do (lutz,loop,toe) etc. even though the class wasnt doing them. I also took the drill loop,half loop and ended up trying loop,half loop,flip,loop...this was a great session for me!

Hard to divide people into groups...I think I could have handled the highest group in the Jump portion but was right where I needed to be for everything else.

I got a lot of encouragement and I feel really good about what I have done in the short 14 moths of my skating life.

Oh yes...I had a lesson tonight....coach loved my 5 step mohawk, and we were able to work the power 3's. Then he drilled me into the ground circling on back crossovers and we found the source of why they were just not quite up to his standards....it was a breakthrough! He had me drenched in sweat after the 30 min lesson!

Those of you who went to the camp.....my coach is about ten times more demanding than Ed Van Campen!!! (for those of you who were wondering how I got such power and speed in 14 months of skating)

BTW Ed was great...wouldn't mind making the trip up there another time this year to get a lesson with him!

manleywoman
06-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Flo...tried to PM you but your box is full, so here's the Chicago pairs clinic info that I have (sorry in advance to everyone else as this is off topic):

Les Ascher and Ellen Aurfluh will be there naturally, plus I know that Kim Sailer and her partner David will be (they're a new pair), and I have heard that Tara Cioppa and her partner Justin are coming. 've been asked to be a substitute in for Bill Papinaus's partner if she can't make it (though Ive never done pairs!). I'm looking forward to it myself, even if I only get to watch. Oleg, Tatiana and Max are extremely nice. I get to skate with them here occasionally and practicce my bad russian.

As for the Scientific store, sorry I've never heard of it. I'm in the arts, so I'm afraid I'm woefully ignorant on the good science supplies. But we are very close to Fermilab...you could possibly arrange for a tour if you wanted to!

Let me know if you need any other Chicago info. I'll be glad to help.

flo
06-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Thanks Manley,
I just cleared out my box! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there. I'm also a sub for someone's partner who dropped out due to injury.
I use to compete with Les and Ellen years ago, and it will be good to see all the new pairs as well.
Now to book the hotel! Thanks

Terri C
06-30-2005, 10:41 AM
There are pictures and a article up on the USFS website!
Wish I could have made it this year, but I've decided that my "skatecation" this year is Peach and I also have some issues on the homefront to deal with!

chimbu1984
06-30-2005, 05:02 PM
my friend said that he was disappointed in the off ice "acting" classes along with the recital. It seems as though the organizers didn't know what to do with the skaters , so they threw this together. It was a wasted 3 hours for the weekend that should have been spent either on the ice, or the missing off ice jumps.
Also, because of the pairs track , he did not get to work with Artur Dmitriev like the previous year.

All of that , and Oksana's antics (calling Nancy a "B" in the Q&A, left a very sour taste in his mouth..
He tried to get as much as he could from the camp, but he won't be back next year.