View Full Version : Skating for Tots

samba
06-26-2005, 12:24 PM
I took my grandaughter age 2 1/2 to skate for the first time to-day, they have a toddler group where they cordon off part of the ice and provide toys, rocking horses, sledges etc. Without even knowing it she was skating in her little double edge skates in no time at all, pottering from one toy to the next, she had the best time and it was a great introduction for her, this is a new thing at our rink, is our rink a late developer or do any other rinks have the same facilities.

CanAmSk8ter
06-26-2005, 07:41 PM
I've heard of more and more rinks offering things like this. I wish my rink did. Sounds like fun.

By double-edges, do you mean double runner skates? If she's doing ok moving on them I guess don't worry about it (we usually tell parents to run, not walk away from double runners; most rinks don't allow them for lessons) but you'll want to get her real skates if she goes into a more structured class when she's a bit older, the reason being that all kids can really do on double runners is kind of "walk" on the ice, they can't glide and definitely can't do swizzles or anything. Of course, I know you skate too so you probably know most of that ;)

Isk8NYC
06-27-2005, 06:30 AM
Our rink has had a 'Mommy and Me' program for some time. I used to be one the instructors. We've fine-tuned the format but the basic lesson/practice still works best. Basically, the intent is to get them comfortable on the ice having fun in a controlled atmosphere. At our rink, it's the most peaceful session because our group lessons and public sessions are really loud!

Can I please ask you to make sure she wears a helmet? Little kids' balance is mercurial -- they fall at the drop of a hat, when you're not ready to catch them! One konk on the head can turn them off skating for life!

Mrs Redboots
06-27-2005, 01:33 PM
Our rink doesn't give lessons to those in double-runner skates (also known as "bob" skates), but an awful lot of very smalls, usually related to older skaters, take their first steps on the ice on them, long before their feet are big enough to fit even the tiniest figure skates! As soon as their feet are large enough, mind, out come the figure skates!

samba
06-27-2005, 03:45 PM
Good advice from everyone, thanks. And I will get her some skates its just that she is growing so fast I would be wasting my money right now, but if any cheepies come up on ebay I will get them.

aussieskater
06-27-2005, 08:51 PM
We have a similar program for pre-schoolers (called Kiddies Klub) at our local rink, and both my daughters started skating that way. The rink does have double runners for those that want them, but the coaches seem to encourage the kids to go straight to regular single blade skates. I've observed that as the kids spend the first few times moving from one toy table to another, they don't seem to notice the lack of the second blade, and they let go of the tables when they're ready. They are encouraged to do so by participating in songs which require movement (hands above heads, touching toes, falling over etc). Once the kids have let go of the toys, they are taken into another barricaded section and taught the basics (stroking, swizzles etc). It's terrific - the kids really enjoy it and they learn without realising that they're doing so.

Isk8NYC
06-28-2005, 07:07 AM
Good advice from everyone, thanks. And I will get her some skates its just that she is growing so fast I would be wasting my money right now, but if any cheepies come up on ebay I will get them.

Scope out some of the other parents with kids in that class. The children grow so fast, they go through a pair or two each season. If you're friendly with the parents, you could ask if anyone has hand-me-down's for sale.

CanAmSk8ter
06-28-2005, 11:01 AM
We have a similar program for pre-schoolers (called Kiddies Klub) at our local rink, and both my daughters started skating that way. The rink does have double runners for those that want them, but the coaches seem to encourage the kids to go straight to regular single blade skates. I've observed that as the kids spend the first few times moving from one toy table to another, they don't seem to notice the lack of the second blade, and they let go of the tables when they're ready. They are encouraged to do so by participating in songs which require movement (hands above heads, touching toes, falling over etc). Once the kids have let go of the toys, they are taken into another barricaded section and taught the basics (stroking, swizzles etc). It's terrific - the kids really enjoy it and they learn without realising that they're doing so.

Wow, your rink actually rents double runners? I've never heard of that. I'm sure the coaches do encourage the kids to go right to regular skates- contrary to popular belief, they're a lot easier to skate in. Double runners don't have edges like real skates, so most kids can't do anything but walk, and a lot of them slip sideways constantly. And of course, the boots stink.

I really wish my rink did something like this. We just have a Snowplow Sam class run with regular learn-to-skate. The youngest we take kids is usually four, but we'll take threes as long as they do a trial class before signing up. About half of the three-year-olds can stand up and march independently and will sign up for classes. The other half usually struggle enough that we suggest the parents try again in a couple months.

samba
06-29-2005, 01:33 PM
I really wish my rink did something like this. We just have a Snowplow Sam class run with regular learn-to-skate. The youngest we take kids is usually four, but we'll take threes as long as they do a trial class before signing up. About half of the three-year-olds can stand up and march independently and will sign up for classes. The other half usually struggle enough that we suggest the parents try again in a couple months.

There were a few teenagers watching them and discussing how they wish they had this when they were little, I certainly wish they had it for my son, his first experience was "I dont like it I want to go home" and didn't go again for many years later but he got there eventually, but if only he could have started sooner.

aussieskater
06-29-2005, 06:54 PM
Wow, your rink actually rents double runners? I've never heard of that. I'm sure the coaches do encourage the kids to go right to regular skates- contrary to popular belief, they're a lot easier to skate in. Double runners don't have edges like real skates, so most kids can't do anything but walk, and a lot of them slip sideways constantly. And of course, the boots stink.

I really wish my rink did something like this. We just have a Snowplow Sam class run with regular learn-to-skate. The youngest we take kids is usually four, but we'll take threes as long as they do a trial class before signing up. About half of the three-year-olds can stand up and march independently and will sign up for classes. The other half usually struggle enough that we suggest the parents try again in a couple months.The rink only rents the double runners to the kids doing the Kiddies Klub, where they are supervised by the coach/es. Your comment "and of course the boots stink" puzzled me somewhat - our double runners are just on straps whick buckle over the child's regular closed-toe shoe. The baby-sized single-blade hire skates on the other hand....

Our Kiddies Club is for kids able to separate from Mum and take some direction - average starting age is maybe 2.5 to 3 years old. The youngest is about 20 months (? - less than 2, for sure), but she is a coach's daughter, born in the rink (just about!) and knows everyone there and everyone knows her. Mum coached right up to Nationals that year, and had to pray hard that Baby would arrive a week before Nationals so she could travel with her to put her students on the ice. Now that's dedication!

Once you start regular school, you can't go to Kiddies Klub any more. For little school age (4-5) kids, we have the Tiny Tots division of our learn-to-skate program, AussieSkate. This sounds like your Snowplow Sam classes - where the kids in a group first learn to stand up and fall down, do basic stroking, swizzles, stops etc? After completing Tiny Tots, they move into the regular AussieSkate stream, where as they progress through the various levels, they learn the turns and MIF tricks, and basic jumps and spins. Is this right?

samba
06-30-2005, 03:21 PM
The rink only rents the double runners to the kids doing the Kiddies Klub, where they are supervised by the coach/es. Your comment "and of course the boots stink" puzzled me somewhat - our double runners are just on straps whick buckle over the child's regular closed-toe shoe. The baby-sized single-blade hire skates on the other hand....
Ours also just strap over the childs regular shoe.

Our Kiddies Club is for kids able to separate from Mum and take some direction - average starting age is maybe 2.5 to 3 years old. The youngest is about 20 months (? - less than 2, for sure), but she is a coach's daughter, born in the rink (just about!) and knows everyone there and everyone knows her. Mum coached right up to Nationals that year, and had to pray hard that Baby would arrive a week before Nationals so she could travel with her to put her students on the ice. Now that's dedication!
My coach is 2 months pregnant and last week drove me down to Bracknell approx 120-130 miles from home to see me on the ice for my free programme, she is also planning to come to Sheffield for the Adult British Competition this year, she's just wonderful.

Once you start regular school, you can't go to Kiddies Klub any more. For little school age (4-5) kids, we have the Tiny Tots division of our learn-to-skate program, AussieSkate. This sounds like your Snowplow Sam classes - where the kids in a group first learn to stand up and fall down, do basic stroking, swizzles, stops etc? After completing Tiny Tots, they move into the regular AussieSkate stream, where as they progress through the various levels, they learn the turns and MIF tricks, and basic jumps and spins. Is this right?
This sounds great too.

Grace