View Full Version : First Skating Competition

rf3ray
06-26-2005, 03:44 AM
Well Had my first skating Competition against some little kids, and won.

Anyways, just wondering about other peoples experiences on their first competition, and general feedback on how they did on their very first Skating competitions 8O 8O

NickiT
06-26-2005, 05:06 AM
I remember my first competition. It was 4 years ago and I was so very nervous. I didn't skate particularly well due to nerves including messing up my sitspin which messed up the timing of the rest of my programme. I just remember I felt like I was skating 2 inches above the ice. I came 6 out of 7. The next year I was determined to make it a positive experience. I still felt extremely nervous (as I do now when I compete) but I skated a nice, clean programme and finished 4 out of 9.

Nicki

samba
06-26-2005, 05:58 AM
I remember my first competition. It was 4 years ago and I was so very nervous. I didn't skate particularly well due to nerves including messing up my sitspin which messed up the timing of the rest of my programme. I just remember I felt like I was skating 2 inches above the ice. I came 6 out of 7. The next year I was determined to make it a positive experience. I still felt extremely nervous (as I do now when I compete) but I skated a nice, clean programme and finished 4 out of 9.

And of course a brilliant first last week!! Well done Nicki:bow:

Mrs Redboots
06-26-2005, 07:08 AM
At my first competition, everybody said afterwards, "Aren't you brave!" which was not, I suspect, meant as a compliment. Needless to say, I came last in every class I entered, something which has changed very little over the years. At least these days I'm seldom tailed off though (it can happen, but not always).

NickiT
06-26-2005, 07:09 AM
And of course a brilliant first last week!! Well done Nicki:bow:

Yep, I got there in the end! My first time on the podium and I got the gold! Well done to you too Grace for your gold as well. We had a fantastic day, didn't we?

Nicki

Casey
06-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Anyways, just wondering about other peoples experiences on their first competition, and general feedback on how they did on their very first Skating competitions
Well I haven't competed yet, but why don't you share yours since the memory is so fresh in your mind? How was it?

...and congratulations for winning! How many did you compete against? What level of competition was it, and what sort of things were allowed?

rf3ray
06-26-2005, 08:02 AM
Well the competition that I had to do, was to perform the required elements for this level, which was the last LEVEL for the skating school. The elements that I had to do was

Backward Pivots L+R
Forward Attitude L+R
Salchow
INABAUER L+R
Upright Spin/Crossspin
ToeLoop
Backward Spirals L+R
1/2 Flip

There is a photo of the programme, of it it... well if you call it a program anyways. Its has a pic of my medal :-) heheheh

http://www.sk8rland.com/users/ray/pictures/?archive=my_first_competition

*JennaD*
06-26-2005, 02:01 PM
I came in last place in my first competition! hehe well actually it was my only competition...but I'd really like to try it again!

I messed up because i was nervous, plus the rink was bigger than I was used to so it threw me off and I was going too slow... :)

*IceDancer1419*
06-26-2005, 02:53 PM
I've done... meh. maybe 3? but 2 were when I was little and sucked :roll: I got 1st on one, 2nd on another ( I was very upset at that one because I really thought I was better than the kid I competed against... sigh :P )

Let's only count this last one I just did. I was horribly nervous for the solo dance... I was literally shaking during the Dutch Waltz. I got 3rd. When my partner and I competed parnter dancing, we got silver. :) :D

Oooh there was the Synchro competition too! There were 2 of those. I totally forgot! :roll: We got... 7th on both. our of 8 :roll: Ah well ;)

samba
06-26-2005, 03:03 PM
My first competition was in ice dance in my club they seemed to take an hour to put the music on, by which time I was about to faint, then when the music started my feet wouldnt work, I cant remember my placing so it cant have been good.

The strange thing is that after many years of not doing dance I did my first dance open competition last week, and would you believe the feeling was almost the same, even though I have competed many years in free skating, and the placing....lets not talk about that!!

Raye
06-27-2005, 01:24 PM
My first competition ever was in January 2005 - Adult BC Provincials. My whole family was there - spouse, children, stepchildren and grandchildren - I had the biggest fan club! I was soooooo nervous that I was just shaking in my boots (!!!). Anyway, for the freeskate my music started and I forgot what I was supposed to do! A complete blank! The whole thing was made up as I went along. I came last. An hour later it was time for my interpretive... I was still nervous but not quite as bad this time. I at least remembered the solo, but there was absolutely no emotion whatsoever... last again (sigh). When it came time for the solo dance, I was the only one in the category so it didn't matter how poorly I did, I still got a medal. I had to do the 14 step (my absolutely LEAST favourite dance) and the Fiesta (my MOST favourite dance in the world) and, according to my dance coach they both were fine. I guess that by this time I was beginning to get used to the audience and judges. My daughters had all gone to Super-Store and bought $40 worth of flowers to throw on the ice to me which was cool. I am glad that my coach and family were all there because I couldn't have gotten through it without their support.

NickiT
06-27-2005, 01:43 PM
). Anyway, for the freeskate my music started and I forgot what I was supposed to do! A complete blank!

You have my full sympathies on that one. I competed in April and exactly the same thing happened. My music was playing and I was stood there thinking "this is my music and I can't remember what to do". Fortunately I picked it up a few seconds later, but I frequently suffer with mini mental blocks along the way when I compete. I just go completely blank. Fortunately I've always been able to pick up again, but one poor lady last week completely forgot her programme. She tried to pick it up but she couldn't so just got off early. I felt so sorry for her.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
06-27-2005, 02:05 PM
I've never forgotten my programme, exactly, but last year I set off in the wrong direction, and realised I was about to present my carefully-choreographed programme to the audience, not the judges. I tried to change this on the fly - this was NOT a good idea, in retrospect. Got to the point where I should have done a cherry flip, and found I couldn't remember which leg to pick in with, or even which direction to rotate! Ended up well-deservedly last, behind a skater I normally place ahead of. Such is skating..... Was pleased to redeem myself this year.

cutiesk8r43
06-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Anyways, just wondering about other peoples experiences on their first competition, and general feedback on how they did on their very first Skating competitions 8O 8O

well your lucky you got first!congrats! :D
my first competition I forgot my program so I was really confused :??
but lucky for me I ended up with 4th place out of 7.
oh well nerves :roll: (too bad its hard to get rid of them)
~cutie ;)

Andie
06-28-2005, 10:16 PM
I haven't competed and dunno if/when I will. I WOULD try it, but so far my highest test level is Beta and I'd like to first compete at least Delta or FS 1-2 level. I just haven't been able to do the stupid hockey stop correctly to pass Gamma. Ugh.

icecatepairs
06-28-2005, 10:28 PM
my first competition was the 1998 isi lake placid team competition. i was a freestyle 1. boy have learned a lot about the importace of planning etc. since then. i went to work the day before and left early to travel to lake palcid. we hit bad weather and arrived at midnite. I had a 6:00 warm-up and competed right away. i was so nervous i was shaking and hit the wall on my toe loop when i landed(with my free leg) but i stayed up right and won. we didn't stay for medals. i just picked it up and drove through a blinding snow storm for 7 hours and when we got home it was not snowing and i went to work. What was i thinking? needless to say i take at least the day of the comp. off these days!!! :roll:

jazzpants
06-29-2005, 12:34 AM
My first competition was Skate SF in 2001. I got the Silver! (Of course, no one has to know that it was 2 out of 2...) ;) I remember the warmup more than doing the actual program. I just started getting the loop... and I overhear my competitors' coach yell out, "Okay, now do a lutz!" 8O She also had better flow and form. It was no contest who would win! :roll: (Of course, nice gal... and I occasionally skate with her now when I skate in the mornings...or rather, she gets on the ice when I get off...) :P

Needless to say, the following year she became a Bronze level skater!!! :P (And I'm still a pre-Bronze lady after 4 #$%&*@ YEARS!!! :frus: )

fmh
02-12-2006, 04:51 PM
my first competition was when I was nine, I was in the biggest category of the competition...12 people....I went out and skated (I was one of those wild little skaters :P) i remember i was wearing a bright pink dress...I placed fifth and was happy :):) But the next year i was happier when i placed first :)