View Full Version : Lifts?

Hydroblade
06-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Me and my dance partner are going competitive and we were wondering if there are any simple lifts people know to help me get started we know a few but they are all like girl does a spieal and i lift her up.

If anyone knows sites or advice that they can give i t would be greatly appriciated

-Hydroblade

dbny
06-24-2005, 06:56 PM
Lifts are dangerous; get some lessons!

*IceDancer1419*
06-24-2005, 07:55 PM
What level are you? just curious...

One thing... for lifts, it's best to practice off ice first so ya don't hurt the girl ;) That's what my coach says, anyways... we haven't done lifts yet, but she told us that when we were doing this lift-related thing ;) I doubt my dance partner could lift me, though :roll:

Anyways... it probably IS better to get some instruction, though. :)

skaternum
06-24-2005, 08:58 PM
Plus, it's very difficult to describe or teach a lift by typing stuff on a webpage. I second the suggestion to get a coach to show you.

Sweet16*skater
06-24-2005, 09:10 PM
My first dance lift i screamed like there was no tomorrow...for the girl it's kind of scary, your not too sure how strong the guy is...first i tried it with my coach and then did it with my partner...as the boys in the partnership just make sure that your solid on your feet and are well balanced ... good luck learning and have fun...
P.S. Try it off ice, get a lesson, make sure that you have someone spotting you and just have fun!!!

Mrs Redboots
06-25-2005, 05:32 AM
Honestly, do get someone to show you, even if only another dance couple! If we can do a lift, anybody can, but you do need to know exactly what body part needs to go where when!

Incidentally, at the lowest levels lifts are voluntary; it's far more important to be able to do a spin and a good step sequence (required elements in the free dances here in the UK) than it is to be able to do a lift. Having said that, if you can finish your dance with a lift, and hold it, it's pretty spectacular and great fun. But do get some professional advice.

Hydroblade
06-25-2005, 01:03 PM
I guess I forgot to add that me and my partner are getting lessons from someone who used to be a competitive dancer and we have off-ice lift classes once a week so we are doing them very safely but if anyone has any pointer still it would be great. Thanks in advance

flo
06-27-2005, 08:45 AM
There are some simple lifts the two of you can start with.
Since you have lift lessons, there are a couple pointers I can suggest.

1. While lifting the girl, remember to keep her close. It's much safer and easier to lift close to you than far away from your center of balance.

2. Try to follow her motion before and after the lift. Think of the lift as an extension of the movement. If she's in a spiral, and you lift her, keep it moving in the direction you both were going. When you put her down, make sure you continue the flow out of the lift as well and not "plunk her down and scram".

3. Whatever you two agree on as to what you're doing, don't improvise in the middle of it. Partners in the air don't like surprises.

4.Try some lifts where she jumps up into them, like a ballet lift. It's really an assisted jump on the boy's part. You follow her upward motion into the air. Your "lift" helps her pause a moment at the top. I'm sure your coach can show you this one quite easily.

5. Have a good sense of humor.