View Full Version : re: "feeling on top of my skates"

sk8joyful
06-24-2005, 11:13 AM
I have heard skaters (at all levels up to Olympic-winners) say, at varying times: "I just couldn't feel on top of my skates today".

Until yesterday, I felt similar like my skates were (9/10 of the time) either several inches off-center, both on inside & outside edges. Apparently,
a large-% due to my blades were mis-mounted 8O, no less unevenly 8O during my first year I skated on them, until a coach & the sharpener realized what was wrong and promptly corrected that.
Since then, I have spent half the time - trying to figger out where my center of balance is supposed to be. And that was compounded by my being seriously incapacitated prior to my starting.
Yesterday, I just felt freed,
like: "wow" this sure feels wonderfully different, a bit secure, like I'm actually feeling these blades directly underneath :) my skating foot!"

When skaters make that statement, what are they doing *pleasantly different* the rest of the time to "feel on top of my skates" ? :)

dbny
06-24-2005, 12:35 PM
more to the point, what are they doing *pleasantly different* the rest of the time to "feel on top of my skates" ? :)

I wish I knew the answer to that question! For me, there are two different ways of not feeling on top of my skates. The first happens when I've been off the ice too long, and just don't feel secure. It's contrasted with the feeling of comfort stepping onto the ice that I normally get when I've skated three or more times a week. Nevertheless, there have been occassions when I've been off the ice for two weeks, but feel ready to fly the moment I return. The other "not on top of my skates" feeling I get is with three turns, especially the LFO. This comes from not having my weight in the right place preparatory to the turn. I've been struggling with it for a long time, and it has been complicated by a (severe pronation) problem with my L foot. Anyway, in spite of that problem, I've suddenly found the right balance of weight and am able to make the turns 95% of the time or maybe even more. I actually get an image in my head of "being on top of the skate" when I do the turns. I finally got my orhtotics and I'm taking them to Klingbeils this Saturday morning to see if they can do the same with my insoles. I just hope that my new comfort with three turns isn't dependent on an accomodation of the foot problem that I will have to undo after the boot adjustment!