View Full Version : this sucks!!!

bladebabe69
06-23-2005, 10:57 PM
Hey everyone...
Well this kinda sucks, tonight i was skating, and i was doing pairs with my new partner and i was doin an inabower and i had alot of speed and i got into a speed wobble and broke my ankle... :cry: :frus: im so mad because now i am off for at least 8 weeks which really sux....because now my skating career might be done....i might have to get pins in my ankle thats how bad it is....anyways i just thought i'd let everyone know what was goin on and i'd like your input on this

thanks
sincerely
Caitlin

Figureskates
06-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Ouch.

I am really sorry that you had this happen to you.

Hopefully, it not be as bad as you think it is. I have no experience personally with pins but I have known a few skaters who have and they seemed to do as well afterwards then they did before the break, and these are adults too.

You at least have youth on your side which is a big plus. All I can say is follow your doctor's orders to the letter and try to keep an upbeat attitude.

Good luck and please keep us informed of your progress.

Andie
06-23-2005, 11:45 PM
Oh no, I'm sorry that happened to you. It's one of the things that scares me about skating. Hope you get better soon.

My coach once told me about his student (or was it a former student?) who has broken her ankle and needed pins in it. He also teaches a woman, who's about 50, who's had a broken leg from skating. But he said it was mainly because she's sort of careless on ice, or something.

stardust skies
06-24-2005, 03:07 AM
double posted, it wont let me delete.

stardust skies
06-24-2005, 03:08 AM
Upside: If you have to get surgery, you'll be good as new. Even if you don't, you'll eventually be good as new. You might lose your season, but not your career. Broken bones are better than sprains in that they fully heal.

Downside: 8 weeks for a break, no. That's for a sprain. A break is more like 3 months off, especially with surgery. But you can do it. Good luck!!!!!

sk8joyful
06-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Broken bones are better than sprains in that they fully heal.

are people supposed to assume that "sprained"- areas remain like that ?

What about people who choose (their sprained areas amongst other unhealthy conditions) to fully heal :)

NickiT
06-24-2005, 11:29 AM
I'm so sorry. That's such bad luck. However keep your chin up and hang in there. I am living proof that a broken ankle can be fixed and you can be back on the ice skating better than ever. I have a metal plate and screws in my ankle, and I was back on the ice after three months. I was told to stay off for six months originally but I healed pretty well and did well with my physio so made it back sooner, though I did take it really easy in the beginning. I seriously doubt you'll make it back after just eight weeks though. These things take time to heal. If you are in a cast for six weeks your leg will be extremely weak and will take more than two weeks to be strong enough for skating. Enjoy the time off. I fretted that I'd never get back on but I did and I'm in my 30's. The only downside for me is that I still get pain sometimes from the metal work in my ankle, but I'd rather keep it in that risk more time off having it taken out. It's part of me now!

Nicki

sk8joyful
06-24-2005, 11:48 AM
I have a metal plate and screws in my ankle, and I was back on the ice after three months.
The only downside for me is that I still get pain sometimes from the metal work in my ankle, but I'd rather keep it in that risk more time off having it taken out. It's part of me now! Nicki

Sure glad you got back on the ice so quickly !:)

Questions I've had about "metal plates & screws" remaining in body anywhere. Since those are
*_not_ natural* inside the human body, do they ever cause any kind of painful irritation ?, or some other unsuspecting complication - heretofore perhaps not considered yet ? And how would a person deal with that ?

dbny
06-24-2005, 12:20 PM
What about people who choose (their sprained areas amongst other unhealthy conditions) to fully heal :)

If people could just "choose" to fully heal, we would have no need of science, doctors, nurses, physical therapists, medicine, etc. Some injuries simply do not heal as well as others. This can mean anything from lasting tenderness or weakness to failure to regenerate a limb.

dbny
06-24-2005, 12:27 PM
Hey everyone...
Well this kinda sucks, tonight i was skating, and i was doing pairs with my new partner and i was doin an inabower and i had alot of speed and i got into a speed wobble and broke my ankle... :cry: :frus: im so mad because now i am off for at least 8 weeks which really sux....because now my skating career might be done....i might have to get pins in my ankle thats how bad it is....anyways i just thought i'd let everyone know what was goin on and i'd like your input on this

thanks
sincerely
Caitlin

Wow, that more than "kinda sucks", IMO. I'm so sorry to hear about your injury. I agree with the other posters who said you are likely to be out of commission for 3 months rather than 8 weeks. I also agree that you are young and should heal up as good as new. I know that from experience, as I broke my right arm/wrist 3 times. I was 5 years old the first time, and felt as good as new the minute the cast came off. I was 15 the second time, and once again was as good as new the moment the cast came off. I was 55 the third time, and will never be the same, but have full function nonetheless. By the way, getting pins is not necessarily a bad thing. If they are necessary to keep the bones in place during healing, then the alternative is definitely worse! Besides, pins can usually be removed later if they become a problem.

NickiT
06-24-2005, 12:30 PM
Sure glad you got back on the ice so quickly !:)

Questions I've had about "metal plates & screws" remaining in body anywhere. Since those are
*_not_ natural* inside the human body, do they ever cause any kind of painful irritation ?, or some other unsuspecting complication - heretofore perhaps not considered yet ? And how would a person deal with that ?

Firstly I never had a choice about having the metal plate and screws. That was what the consultant said I needed. I also didn't get a choice about having them removed though I know they could be removed. However choosing to have them removed means a wait of 18 months to 2 years, they will only do it if they feel it necessary and probably between 3 and 6 months off the ice.....again. Of course I could have them removed privately but it doesn't seem worth it.

I do get pain. For the first 10 months I had to take painkillers everytime I skated. Then the pain lessened and it was just now and then. Now I find I have no pain at all in the summer months, but over the winter it's more sensitive. If I do repeated jumps it can hurt and often aches the following day. I have to cover the area with a bungapad and on the odd occasion this has slipped it has really hurt where the screws have pressed to the inside of my boot, so I make sure I do a good job of covering the screws. I have got used to it now though. It's certainly not the end of the world if you have to have metal work. It's just something that can be seen as a bit of an inconvenience at times. Like I said before, it's just something that's become a part of me now.

Nicki

skatingatty
06-24-2005, 12:36 PM
Caitlyn,
Sorry to hear about your injury, but I don't think your skating career's over. I broke my ankle and tore a ligament trying to do a dbl flip, when I was 28 years old. I also had a metal plate and 5 screws put in. It was about 6-7 months before I felt ok enough to skate again, but even then, I didn't jump for months. Since I assume you are younger, it will probably take you less time to fully heal. My skating eventually got back to where it was before I busted my ankle, but the metal didn't give me a full range of motion in the joint, and it'd occasionally hurt. The drs. said it was ok to leave the hardware in forever, but I chose to get it all taken out a couple of months ago. I am still not skating, again due to slow healing, but I can definitely move and rotate my ankle better now. Best of luck to you with the surgery and recovery!

stardust skies
06-24-2005, 03:30 PM
are people supposed to assume that "sprained"- areas remain like that ?

I'd LOVE it if you could tell me how I am supposed to choose to fully heal the three sprains I've already dealt with in my skating career, because as it is I have had tenderness, chronic pain, unusual muscle popping, and somethins shooting pains all the way up to my knees since I was ten, which means about ten years. I assure you I've gone through all the physical therapy and exams I could. Some damage just stays with you forever, and all you can choose to do is to accept and deal with it.

Sprained ankles clearly don't remain sprained. But *most* do not fully heal, and are twice as likely to get sprained again than a non-injured ankle, whereas a broken bone heals to be as strong as it was before, usually with no repercussions in the long run. That's just how it is.

crayonskater
06-24-2005, 03:50 PM
That's definitely true! I used to sprain my ankles all the time in college -- I eventually had to have a trainer wrap them with tape before I did any sort of running or fencing (lunging + weak forward ankle = owie). Years later they're better, but more prone to problems than they used to be.

From what I've heard, a break is oftentimes easier to heal than a sprain, and once the bone is knitted back together, it's stronger than it was before. Sprains don't seem to work that way.

Sorry to hear about your ankle, blades. Just listen to your doctor and do your physical therapy once the bones have healed, and you'll be back on the ice. Relax and don't worry! Elite athletes overcome major injuries all the time and so can you. :)

Mrs Redboots
06-24-2005, 03:56 PM
Bladebabe, I'm so sorry! What a bummer!

Do keep going to the rink, if you can get there, as even though you won't be able to skate, you will be able to stay in touch with your skating friends, and remind everybody of your existence! And do do any and every exercise you're given to help yourself heal.

Best of luck - I know you aren't the only skater that this horrid thing has happened to, but most of them are back on the ice now, and you will be too, soon.

*IceDancer1419*
06-24-2005, 07:43 PM
Oh no, I'm sorry! :( That does suck! I had a scare today thinking I may have had a hairline fracture in my kneecap, but thankfully it was nothing. Just a big, bad bruise ;)

Hoping it heals relatively quickly... I know a girl who fractured her ankle who was back on the ice in a month (i dion't know the whole story about the fracture, though...), but I also know a girl who's out for around 3 months and had to miss a synchro camp and a TOI competition she'd already paid for :( She got MULTIPLE stress fractures in BOTH feet.

*IceDancer1419*
06-24-2005, 07:44 PM
Oh, BTW, the girl who's off the ice for 3 months is doing a physical therapy group class for athletes, and apparently is enjoying it. She does off-ice exercises that don't hurt her foot. And she's at the rink a lot too, just hanging out and watching people. :)

NCSkater02
06-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Since I'm just back on the ice less than two months from my broken ankle, I really feel your pain. I was off for 14 weeks, with an additional 6 weeks (once I was back on) of not jumping or spinning. I'm essentially having to relearn everything I knew before.

Listen to your doctor carefully, and do exactly what he says. I'm not normally the most compliant person, but I did pretty much what he told me to do and not do. It will be the quickest way to get back on the ice. And right now, keep it elevated and ice it.....a lot. It really helps. Mine bruised from my toes to my knee, and swelled to twice (or more) it's usual size. It gets better. You'll just have to practice the "P" word. Patience.

Good luck.

samba
06-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Caitlin you poor thing!! I too had a pairs accident and broke my ankle, must be at least 5 years ago and I still have the metal work in my leg, the only problems I have is that sometimes in the winter it aches a bit but I was very lucky I was back on the ice the same week that I was out of plaster, I had a great physio and made sure I followed everything she told me to do.

I hope this makes you feel better the only problem I had was that I missed my test but managed to do it once I was back on my feet and passed. Your partner is probably feeling unnecessarily guilty about it so treat him nicely.

Cheers
Grace

Figureskates
06-27-2005, 11:53 AM
Your partner is probably feeling unnecessarily guilty about it so treat him nicely.

Cheers
Grace

Good point.