View Full Version : Letting Your Skates Dry Out

luna_skater
06-23-2005, 11:25 AM
I just got a pair of Gam 400s at the beginning of June, and they are AWESOME. Perfectly suited for me. But...they are SUPER sweaty! With my beat-up old Riedells, they just went in the skate bag after I got off the ice, and didn't come out until the next time I skated. But the Gams need to come out of the bag as soon as I get them home, and I need to let them dry out for quite a while. Is this normal? I've been wearing Bunga Sleeves lately and I think that is making them a bit sweatier than normal. But is there anything I should be doing to help my boots dry faster?

Figuresk8_katie
06-23-2005, 05:47 PM
Actually, all skates should be taken out to dry before they're used again. There are tons of reasons...

1. The moisture can loosen your blade
2. The inside of your boot will wear away faster than it should
3. Your blade won't dry properly, making them dull quicker.

Also. you should take them out of your skating bag to dry out and make sure they haven't got any hard guards on when they're being stored/dried out. Soft fuzzy guards or none at all are best when they're drying. But soft guards on them before they go into your bag to prevent your blades from accidentally chipping.

Hope i've helped!

Katie

Raye
06-23-2005, 06:30 PM
If you go to a running store, you can purchase inserts that you put into your skates as soon as you take them off. Half an hour later when you remove the inserts they have absorbed all the moisture and odour from your boots.

luna_skater
06-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks Raye, that's more what I was looking for. Katie, my old boots were in such rough shape, it wouldn't have mattered much. :D The new boots were actually made this millenium, so they are a bit different in design! Don't worry about the blades, I've alway dried them thoroughly and have had soft blade covers for about the last 20 years. ;)

*IceDancer1419*
06-23-2005, 10:08 PM
On a related note, I have a question... my skates never leave their bag, but they're in a Transpack bag that "breathes", so to speak ;) (as in, it has mesh)...

Does this work for drying them? Thanks!

Casey
06-24-2005, 04:03 AM
If you go to a running store, you can purchase inserts that you put into your skates as soon as you take them off. Half an hour later when you remove the inserts they have absorbed all the moisture and odour from your boots.
Oooh, this sounds wonderful. I can't say I've ever seen a "running store" before - do you suppose any regular sports store might have them? Do you know what to ask for, or whether there's a place to order them online?

I almost always air my skates out - if I forget it's unpleasant the next time I go skating. Sometimes they build up moisture and odor anyways, so I undo the laces all the way and blast out the insides really good with a hair dryer on the medium (not too hot) setting for a half hour or so each - that works wonders. :)

Isk8NYC
06-24-2005, 07:17 AM
I keep a kid's sock in my bag. It's filled with lavender and silica gel, which is a dessicant (sp?) that they use for flower drying. (It's sewn and knotted shut) You can buy silica gel at a crafts store. Or, you can just save the little "Do Not Eat" packets from the purses and shoes you purchase. Never had a problem with moisture and I think the silica gel is key. If you wanted to, you could put the little socks inside the boot to absorb the moisture.
I wonder why the skates are so much more damp inside than your old ones? Did you change footwear? Cotton absorbs and holds moisture while nylon wicks it away from your foot. Try drying the insides with a cloth when you dry the outsides. And keep the cloth in a different/outside compartment. Leave the bag a bit opened. (It's not plastic, is it? That could add to the problem.)

Isk8NYC
06-24-2005, 07:20 AM
On a related note, I have a question... my skates never leave their bag, but they're in a Transpack bag that "breathes", so to speak ;) (as in, it has mesh)...

Does this work for drying them? Thanks!

Well, a mesh bag does allow them to air dry, but you should ALWAYS dry your skates before bagging them. Air drying them from start to finish is too slow to prevent rust and rot. Once in a while is okay, but a regular diet of that will get you rusty blades attached with loose screws to a rotting sole. (Sorry, got carried away with that last line. No insult intended.)

luna_skater
06-24-2005, 08:27 AM
I wonder why the skates are so much more damp inside than your old ones? Did you change footwear? Cotton absorbs and holds moisture while nylon wicks it away from your foot. Try drying the insides with a cloth when you dry the outsides. And keep the cloth in a different/outside compartment. Leave the bag a bit opened. (It's not plastic, is it? That could add to the problem.)

Haven't changed footwear, but they are totally different brands and makes of skates. :) My old skates are a pair of Riedell Silver Stars from 1997. My current skates are a brand spankin' new pair of Gams, which are heat-mouldable...which the old skates weren't. My skates each have their own fleece baggie, and my skate-bag is an Air Canada pullman (standard issue for my synchro team).

Thanks for all the tips!

NickiT
06-24-2005, 11:32 AM
I bring my skates home after every session and remove them from my skate bag and leave them out overnight. It drives my husband mad but since I have to put up with his sweaty judo suits all over the place I don't care. I think it's the only thing you can do to dry your skates.

Nicki

Mrs Redboots
06-24-2005, 03:44 PM
Well, a mesh bag does allow them to air dry, but you should ALWAYS dry your skates before bagging them. Air drying them from start to finish is too slow to prevent rust and rot. Once in a while is okay, but a regular diet of that will get you rusty blades attached with loose screws to a rotting sole. (Sorry, got carried away with that last line. No insult intended.)I've honestly never found that to be a problem - I do check my blades are thoroughly dry before I put my boots away, but they tend to live in their bag, as they are mostly at the rink. My last pair lasted me about eight years, so I must be doing something right!

icedancer2
06-24-2005, 05:20 PM
I've honestly never found that to be a problem - I do check my blades are thoroughly dry before I put my boots away, but they tend to live in their bag, as they are mostly at the rink. My last pair lasted me about eight years, so I must be doing something right!

You know, I've never done more than wipe off the blades/soles after skating and sticking them in my bag. I don't leave them in my car because of heat/cold issues (plus I would die if someone were to steal my car, or the boots, or whatever...) -- My last pair lasted 15 years and I skated at least 4 days a week the whole time!!

Maybe these new boots with the new materials will be a different story. We shall see.

Sweet16*skater
06-24-2005, 06:14 PM
i never used to take my skates out of my bag, but my last pair when my mom went to get them sharpened, the bottom part where the blade was being held to the boot fell of and the blade was loose...so just beware some times you can't see the damage that is been done...i had to get new ones...

*IceDancer1419*
06-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Well, a mesh bag does allow them to air dry, but you should ALWAYS dry your skates before bagging them. Air drying them from start to finish is too slow to prevent rust and rot. Once in a while is okay, but a regular diet of that will get you rusty blades attached with loose screws to a rotting sole. (Sorry, got carried away with that last line. No insult intended.)

Ohhhh no I DO dry them off before putting them in... I dry the blades and the sole... (my old skates had no waterproofing, and I didn't dry them well, and they lived in a sealed up bag, and they started to rot :roll: they were crappy skates anyway though ;) ). It's just that everyone's saying that they put their skates OUTSIDE their bag... and my bag "breathes", so I was wondering if that still worked for taking the skates out of the bag ;)

DRENDAVN
06-25-2005, 09:14 AM
Interesting. I've skated in GAM 080s for several years now. When I bought them I thought the grey man-made lining stuff was kind of cheap as opposed to leather in other boots. GAMs are made with a lot of different more hi-tech stuff (like a hockey boot) except for the outsole and outer leather on the boot. Obviously this accomidates the heat molding technology. What I've found is that grey stuff is comfortable, wears like iron and my boots seem to dry FASTER that the leather interior ones and won't rot either. I wonder if the 400s have different material on the inside? Make sure to unlace wide open and pull the tongues way out to circulate air in the boot.

Dave D.

luna_skater
06-25-2005, 02:35 PM
Interesting. I've skated in GAM 080s for several years now. When I bought them I thought the grey man-made lining stuff was kind of cheap as opposed to leather in other boots. GAMs are made with a lot of different more hi-tech stuff (like a hockey boot) except for the outsole and outer leather on the boot. Obviously this accomidates the heat molding technology. What I've found is that grey stuff is comfortable, wears like iron and my boots seem to dry FASTER that the leather interior ones and won't rot either. I wonder if the 400s have different material on the inside? Make sure to unlace wide open and pull the tongues way out to circulate air in the boot.

Dave D.

Dave,

How long ago did you buy your 80s?

In my old boots, I found that my tights soaked up most of the sweat. In my new boots, it's the skates that are soaking it up! Anyway, I'm not complaining by any means...I totally love these boots!

DRENDAVN
06-25-2005, 06:16 PM
Hmmm, at least 3 years. They don't make 080 anymore, now it's 095. I have looked at those boots and they are lined with the same suede-looking grey synthetic material.

I can tell you if I skate a session then skate some hours later (like at LP Adult camp) my boots seem to have mostly dried out in that short time. Not true of some of the leather lined ones.

I've just got back from a trip with a friend who got fitted into high-level Jacksons. They too seem to have grey synthetic lining material albeit a higher level of fit and finish than mine have.

My boot care is probably lacking. They live mostly in the car. Frankly I doubt heat is really that bothersome as long as the boots are not in direct sunlight. I think a fair amount of heat is perhaps a good thing from the standpoint that it accelerates drying out which prevents or kills the bacteria which WILL rot and eat your skates from the inside out.

I too really love these boots. The fit is great, no heel movement, very comfortable, I'd buy them again tomorrow. All the other adults I skate with that have them are very happy as well.

Dave D.

Raye
06-27-2005, 12:39 PM
To Luna skater and Casey S and anyone else for that matter.

Appologies for the delay in the reply. I was away for the weekend (not at a competition, unfortunately ...)

The Inserts I bought are called K2 Drypac, and I bought them at a store in Vancouver called The Running Room. I imagine you can get them, (or something similar) at any high-end athletic shoe store that caters to runners and joggers. I have never seen them in your average run-of-the-mill sporting goods stores.