View Full Version : A Chapter of Accidents!

Mrs Redboots
06-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Oh, what a morning!

It was all quite normal to start with, but then one of our Junior couples, L & S, had a nasty fall, and S skated straight into L's fingers, cutting two of them. Their coach is one of those who turns very queasy at the sight of blood, poor her, so they called on my coach and his wife to help. They dressed the cuts, which weren't that bad, but did bleed profusely, and then sent her up to the local chemist to see if they could dress it better (perhaps putting a steri-strip on it), or whether she needed to go to hospital.

They departed, and life went on, and about 3/4 of the way through my lesson they returned, very cheerful, saying that the pharmacist had said that stopping the bleeding was the right thing to have done, but that she should have a tetanus injection. We had come off the ice to talk to them - and somehow or other, L came round behind me, I didn't see her, and stepped back - right on to her toe, and she was wearing flip-flops! Fortunately, although it obviously hurt her, she saw the funny side.... I am not too sure that I did. Of course I apologised profusely, and my coach dressed the toe..... But poor L, it really wasn't her day!

Then another woman very nearly missed the bench when sitting down... at which point, the duty manager said that one more incident and he would close the rink! He was laughing, but not all that far from being serious.... at which point, I went home!

NickiT
06-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Wow! What a morning at your rink Annabel. I hope L's injuries heal up really quickly. If it's any consolation, I stood on someone's toes with my skates in the changing room and they had just tights. I felt so terrible but accidents happen.

Nicki

blue111moon
06-22-2005, 10:56 AM
Poor Annabel! Some days the planets are just aligned wrong or something. I think it's worse for the stepper than the stepped-upon, though; the guilt goes on and on long after the victim has forgotten the whole thing.

dbny
06-22-2005, 05:46 PM
It sounds like one of those days that make you pause and wonder why you even bother!

Figureskates
06-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Reminds me of what happened one Sunday evening during an adult group class. One woman fell and broke her wrist, five minutes into the class. Got her takened care of and resumed the class. Five minutes later another lady fell and cut her chin. Thankfully it wasn't bad enough to require stitches. Class resumes again. The final blow came when yet another lady got her blade caught in a divot, she fell...she broke her lower leg. All this happened within a period of about 50 minutes. For some reason, when it starts, it doesn't seem to end until you run out of time, or run out of people.

About five years agao during a general skate session, we had a total of 3 broken wrists on two skaters, a concussion requiring the rescue squad, and a blade gash, again requiring the rescue squad....