View Full Version : Happy or Sad - 20-26 June 2005

Casey
06-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Title in honour of the ways we feel about our skating at various points. This came to the forefront because of the horrible plateau I was on and then the joyous end of it! Hopefully anyone else having difficulties in skating or otherwise find something happy to make up for it this week.

Happy: Today my coach gave me ISI tests, and now instead of officially being a lowly Alpha, I'm now officially Freestyle 2! I passed every part of the Freestyle 2 test with no issues except for the dance step sequence for it, which I had to learn today since I've never done it before!! It was pretty easy though, once I
remembered all the moves in the right order. Passing this test was the ambitious goal I set for myself at the beginning of the year, and now I've gone and done it already. Time for new, more ambitious goals! :D

I almost feel like a real skater now... :-)

Sad: I did not, however, pass Freestyle 1, because my back inside edges are still a little off. They're close though, so I'll just retake this test when I do Freestyle 3 (which I did not test, because I can't do change-foot spins yet - really it's not the change foot part that's the problem, it's the backspin part that is).

Future plans for happiness: I'm going to focus on backspins and back inside edges pretty hard, plus working a lot on the loop and flip (apparently my flip is not cheated like I thought it was - I'm actually doing the jump mostly right! Woo hoo!). Those should all go nicely hand in hand. I've also been working on sit spins for about a week, so I'll be working on those more too. Hopefully within a few months I can go back and retake Freestyle 1, plus pass Freestyle 3 and 4 and also test for USFSA Adult Bronze (and of course Pre-Bronze first).

Argh so much to do...I have to find some music to skate to, get a program put together, too!

More non-testing happy: My coach wanted to see the loop I told her I had been doing, and I was too tired today to work myself up to doing it and kept saving it with a glance of the free leg toepick. After about the 5th try, I became very frustrated at not being able to do them since I did yesterday, so then I did a bad attempt with the toepick bounce, right into a full loop following it, which I was happy about. My coach suggested trying them after a waltz - I told her I was having difficulties with that (getting that waltz landing just right for a loop is hard), and so she said to try with a toe loop instead. My first toeloop-loop came pretty easy - I think this is the most comfortable way I've found to do the jump yet.

More non-testing sad: Spins were crap today. I nearly fell asleep at the table at the rink today because I didn't get any sleep last night. My feet got red and sore across the top where the ankle bends and on the back of the heel. This is presumably because I skated pretty hard at the freestyle session before the lesson/testing, and again afterwards during the remaining public time.

Happy once more: well my muscles hurt like h*** and it's hard to get out of my chair and walk around, so I don't feel too bad about the sore feet (which cleared right up) - I apparently did a good job of giving myself quite a workout today... It's that sort of soreness that means you've improved, so no complaints about that!

Just plain weird: The ice is colder and harder at the old rink than one might hope, or at least it used to be. It usually makes loud noise whenever I skate on it, especially on edges. I have a deep grind on my blades, and keep them very sharp, so I've come to accept this when I go to the old rink. Well today for luck I honed up my blades so they were nice and extra-sharp right there at the rink before going on the ice, and the blades ran silent across the ice, it was amazing. Maybe hockey season is over and the rink management turned up the temperature on the ice for the summer??

NCSkater02
06-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Happy: Had the ice to myself for about 30 minutes--the good thing about skating at 6:30am--guess none of the kids like getting up that early on summer break. My moves went ok, except for the back edges. I can still do a 2foot spin (although it makes me dizzy and travels enough to get frequent flyer miles) Limited my waltz and flip to 5 each, but I think they will come back quick enough.

Sad: Only a 45 minute session, so I didn't get to work as much as I wanted. I tried a scratch spin, but I can't get past the 3turn into the actual spin (flash backs) so I stuck to 2foot today. Back edges are not good, especially insides. Heard the click of death while doing back crossovers, but managed to stay upright, although I landed hard on my left ankle--it stung for a while.

dbny
06-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Happy:
FO and FI threes are still there at my new plateau. Even though it's a plateau, I'm happy with it, since I was at the old one forever! RBO three is still there, but I'm just a tad scared of it, so I'm not doing more than two or three a session, although today, just for fun, I did a LFI three to RBO three. Prelim power threes: R side feeling stronger, but L side is the same, still cannot free my foot after the crossover unless I touch down briefly.

Sad:
I completely forgot what I was doing after the BXO on the R side of the power threes, panicked and ended up doing the clumsiest splat onto my butt. It was one of those that jolts you right up the spine to the base of the skull. At least I threw my arms up and didn't land on a palm with the potential for a broken wrist. I immediately went right on with them. Had to bum some ibuprofen off of someone because I hadn't refilled.

kiwibabe
06-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Sad I sat my third kiwiskate badge last night and didn't pass due to me being nervous and stuffing up my bunny hops! As soon as she went away I could do them again!

Happy The tester saw me do them later on perfectly and passed me. YAY.

Sad Am working on my next badge now, have to pass the following:
Forward outside edges - I can't do them very well
FI 3 turns - I can do them if I have a spotter to grab onto, can't do them if
theres no one to save me
Backwards crossovers - I can't do them
two footed spin - I get dizzy after 1 revolution and am supposed to do at
least 4 revolutions
Backwards balancing on one foot - nope can't do them either
Mohawk - nearly have it

The biggest problem is that most of the people in my group can nearly do all of these and I won't pass. Oh well.

jazzpants
06-21-2005, 02:45 AM
Happy:

Had a lot of fun rehearsing our group number for the Fire & Ice show. And no watered down Christmas adult program stuff! This choreography is gonna be a good one!!!

Sad:

Our footwork... well at least mine anyway! :P We had to do this alt FO3 with a crossover in between. No problem right? Wait! There's more!!! You also have to do them in a very straight line... or risk getting hit by the skater going in the opposite direction doing the same alt. move. (We're doing a two line pass-thru...no forward straight skate pass-thru...gotta have dem fancy footwork...) Never mind that the music is extremely FAST!!!)

Had a lesson during the public session AFTER rehearsals!!! Yep! I skated the WHOLE public sesson afterwards, so it's 2.5 hours of skating!!! 8O My legs are gonna be in SAD shape tomorrow. :P

Happy:

Finally had a clean landing on a flip this evening...AND in front of primary coach AND hubby!!! Hubby yells out "That's a much better one (landing)!!!" Coach turns to hubby and nods his head in acknowledgement!!!

Rest of jumps got better after some corrections, especially the toe loop. (My problem with it is that I tend to toe waltz. But when I'm not lazy and concentrate, I do them the way he wants me to.) Got some good waltz and salchows out there. Jay sees good height coming, but now wants a straight leg kick thru... Back for more practice I go...

Backspins: Last one out of 4 was okay! He says that he has seen worse backspins pass the Bronze FS test. He thinks the judges will pass my backspins...

I think once I was able to get around the other skaters that my moves are okay. He's happy with the power 3's now.

Sad: ...but he's not happy with the 5 step mohawks!!! It's not bad but he thinks the judges will mark me down for some minor technical stuff (...and we all want perfect technique, right?) :P

Loop jumps are CRAP!!! Can't land them w/o toe tapping the landing. :frus:

rf3ray
06-21-2005, 06:02 AM
[Happy] I got my backspins really good this morning at the rink at 6:15am
[SAD] The Backspins started to go really dodgy later in the afternoon when I went Back

Mrs Redboots
06-21-2005, 06:16 AM
Congratulations to those who have just passed tests.

Happy: Ice was pretty empty this morning - only our two Senior couples and then us - quite a difference in ability, there! We ran through our two compulsory dances for Friday, and then our free dance. The coach (not ours) pointed out something we were doing wrong with my arms in the lift, which helped. Husband managed nearly 2 complete revolutions with me in his arms!

Also ran through my artistic for Thursday - no problem there, I don't think. Of course, got the spiral sequence perfectly - now, can I do that in competition????

Sad: I two-footed the back edge after the Mohawk in our free dance, which is right in front of the judges, and horribly obvious! Still want to re-jig the step sequence but I know I can't now! Husband's timing off on one of his 3-turns, and he accused mine of being on mine...

My foot started hurting so I decided to get off the ice just as all my friends turned up!

Was interested to hear one of the Senior couples being corrected after a compulsory - it's so the same at every level, isn't it: "Your timing was off on the re-start, you didn't maintain the hold, you forgot your free leg...." But for the difficulty of the dance, the coach could have been talking to us, it's the kind of corrections we're always getting!

Isk8NYC
06-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Casey - Don't try to move up to FS3 until you've mastered FS1. You need those edges! Keep working on 'em. Most coaches won't let you pass a higher-level test until you've mastered the ones before it - not sure what your coach is thinking, but make sure you get FS1 out of the way ASAP. ISI tests don't require a special test session, so you can get them out of the way now!

MusicSkateFan
06-21-2005, 08:05 AM
:) New skates are working well. Getting better spins and even had a 3 rev back spin. Coach is pleased and feels I will be ready for July 24th Bronze Moves test! We are also discussing music for possible programs and will be working very hard on freestyle test after July 24th(notice I am trying to be positive that I will pass on the 24th!) Lutz,loop,toe is getting even better, the same for flip,loop,toe.. Lutz,half loop,flip is still in squeaky stage. Last night I did running 3's into Toe,Toe,Toe....nice practice combo to work on toe loop entrance!

:cry: I will never be able to spin like NoVa....I swear the dude is just a freak when it comes to spins!! (Oh dont worry I called him a freak last night to his face...he knows what I mean!)

NoVa Sk8r
06-21-2005, 09:03 AM
:cry: I will never be able to spin like NoVa....I swear the dude is just a freak when it comes to spins!! (Oh dont worry I called him a freak last night to his face...he knows what I mean!)
Patience, young grasshopper. You WILL be able to spin spin spin. It took me years to master the sit spin, and the back spin took, oh, 5 or 6 years for me to get.
I'd kill to have your huge lutz jump! :bow:

flo
06-21-2005, 09:59 AM
:) Had a couple great skates, jumps were nice and high, and nice folks on the ice!

:cry: Went to the ortho yesterday, had x-rays and all that, and I have sesaioditis in my right foot. Probably from the ill fitting boots. Time for lots of ice massages and ibuprofin. Then on the way home someone hit my auto. Grr. Want to get things back on track for the pairs clinic. Fortunately my foot doesn't hurt while I'm skating, hust walking!

AnnM
06-21-2005, 11:07 AM
Happy: I finally had my new blades adjusted to the spot where I feel that my feet are securely under me again (if that makes sense). Edges, 3-turns, crossovers, spins ... everything is so much better and smoother now. Whee! :)

Sad: It is time to start lacing the top hook on my new boots which means that getting a good knee bend is that much harder. Also my competition dress arrived in the mail and while it fits, I seriously need to tone up my shoulder/upper arm area during the next month so that the outfit looks better. :frus:

sk8joyful
06-21-2005, 11:25 AM

dbny
06-21-2005, 01:42 PM
Sad I sat my third kiwiskate badge last night and didn't pass due to me being nervous and stuffing up my bunny hops! As soon as she went away I could do them again!

Happy The tester saw me do them later on perfectly and passed me. YAY.

Sad Am working on my next badge now, have to pass the following:
Forward outside edges - I can't do them very well
FI 3 turns - I can do them if I have a spotter to grab onto, can't do them if
theres no one to save me
Backwards crossovers - I can't do them
two footed spin - I get dizzy after 1 revolution and am supposed to do at
least 4 revolutions
Backwards balancing on one foot - nope can't do them either
Mohawk - nearly have it

Congrats on your pass!

I had exactly the same problem on the FI threes. With just a tiny spot, I was doing beautiful, smooth, well placed threes on large lobes across the rink. Without the spot, I chickened out every time. Here is what helped me - I began doing them in a very small arc, from the wall to the wall, with one of the lines marking the top of my arc and the place on which to do the turn. Because I was so close to the wall, I managed without a spot. It took months of that before I got the courage to move away and do them across the rink, and I still often two foot or touch down just before the turn, but it is major progress. I try to imagine the line and that helps too.

I also get dizzy on spins. I make myself do three or four in a row. Skate around (just a few strokes) a little after, and come right back to the next one. Your body has to get used to spinning, and if you do them in sets of three or four, it will. Try to do several sets every time you skate.

Backwards balancing on one foot - How can you do a Mohawk without this? Anyway, I am teaching that right now to my Monday afternoon group. The biggest problems I see with them, is that they don't get enough speed, and forget to do a solid two foot glide first. Maybe those are your problems also? It is much easier to balance on one foot if you are going faster!

Casey
06-21-2005, 02:02 PM
Casey - Don't try to move up to FS3 until you've mastered FS1. You need those edges! Keep working on 'em. Most coaches won't let you pass a higher-level test until you've mastered the ones before it - not sure what your coach is thinking, but make sure you get FS1 out of the way ASAP. ISI tests don't require a special test session, so you can get them out of the way now!
That is exactly my plan, as I thought I described pretty clearly. Sorry for any miscommunication. I don't think I have to pass FS1, but I want to. I'm very close to it anyways, the back inside edges were just a bit dodgy. A week or two and they'll be fine. And I know several people who have skipped various ISI tests along the way - I have a friend in Dubai who skates at FS8 but skipped like 4 of the tests along the way.

Anyways I'll most certainly be able to pass FS1 with more refined back inside edges far sooner than I'll be able to learn the stupid backspin, I presume!

Debbie S
06-21-2005, 02:24 PM
It took me years to master the sit spin, and the back spin took, oh, 5 or 6 years for me to get.

Well that makes me feel better. I've been working on the backspin for 2 1/2 years and still can't get to 3 revs. Of course, I've taken a lot of time off recently and have been skating pretty sporadically as of late, so that probably doesn't help with skill acquisition.

Flo, I'm sorry to hear about your foot and your car. My car was hit in December on my way home from a skating lesson (by an uninsured driver with a suspended license, no less). Tomorrow night, we'll have to commiserate. Hope your foot feels better soon!

kiwibabe
06-21-2005, 03:14 PM
With the FI threes its all mental and not physical, probably because the first time I did one properly I ended up falling backwards and hurt myself. The other problem is my husband can do them and says "just do it like this" and does a beautiful one in front of me. Something to work on.

I'll try your spinning trick and see how that goes.

I can balance on one foot backwards if I'm doing a mohawk but if its just going backwards then I can't do them. I think thats because there are now 40 people in our adult learn to skate class and everytime I try to work on it someone cuts behind me and I have to make an emergency stop. The class is to big now, there are complete beginners all the way up to my level and beyond and the beginners are getting most of the teachers time and us who have some skills aren't getting as much attention which is why I'm having trouble keeping up with our level.

Oh well, this weekend will be my first unofficial competition, the adult kiwiskaters get to have a little competition at the club champs.

Congrats on your pass!

I had exactly the same problem on the FI threes. With just a tiny spot, I was doing beautiful, smooth, well placed threes on large lobes across the rink. Without the spot, I chickened out every time. Here is what helped me - I began doing them in a very small arc, from the wall to the wall, with one of the lines marking the top of my arc and the place on which to do the turn. Because I was so close to the wall, I managed without a spot. It took months of that before I got the courage to move away and do them across the rink, and I still often two foot or touch down just before the turn, but it is major progress. I try to imagine the line and that helps too.

I also get dizzy on spins. I make myself do three or four in a row. Skate around (just a few strokes) a little after, and come right back to the next one. Your body has to get used to spinning, and if you do them in sets of three or four, it will. Try to do several sets every time you skate.

Backwards balancing on one foot - How can you do a Mohawk without this? Anyway, I am teaching that right now to my Monday afternoon group. The biggest problems I see with them, is that they don't get enough speed, and forget to do a solid two foot glide first. Maybe those are your problems also? It is much easier to balance on one foot if you are going faster!

stardust skies
06-21-2005, 03:15 PM

I concur. I'm also confused about this skipping around on tests- you can't do that. You have to take them in order. Not sure what the coach is thinking, either. But I know this is why ISI tests should be judged by judges, NOT your own coach. Makes no sense.

Heck I was ready to test my Junior moves before my Novice ones. Don't work like that, though. Can't be a Junior before you're a Novice! I don't see why the ISI should be different- a test is a test.

NickiT
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
VERY HAPPY

Not that I want to shout it from the rooftops or anything, but......my daughter won silver medal at the Guildford Opens today in the level 1 class age 10 and under. I'm a very proud mum tonight!!! :bow: :D :D

Nicki

NoVa Sk8r
06-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Well that makes me feel better. I've been working on the backspin for 2 1/2 years and still can't get to 3 revs. Of course, I've taken a lot of time off recently and have been skating pretty sporadically as of late, so that probably doesn't help with skill acquisition.I would be remiss if I didn't say that it wasn't until I got my Pattern 99 blades (to replace my Coronation Aces) in Nov. '03 that my back spins started to sing a little.

jazzpants
06-21-2005, 04:10 PM
NickiT: Congrats to your daughter!!! YAAAAY!!! :D

Well that makes me feel better. I've been working on the backspin for 2 1/2 years and still can't get to 3 revs. Of course, I've taken a lot of time off recently and have been skating pretty sporadically as of late, so that probably doesn't help with skill acquisition.Took me just over 4 (FOUR) years to get it above 3 consistently (and on the BO edge!!!) :roll: Still mastering it... :frus: Only consolation is that I think I will pass Bronze FS with these backspins...leaves the LOOP jump as my only nemesis! (Maybe I should just switch it out and put in a FLIP instead!!!) :twisted: :P

slusher
06-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Happy
Backspins were good today. They've been good for a while, it's all about my arm. I talk to my arm and tell it to behave. Seems to work. FYI, I learned backspin in about February and today got 5 revolutions on it, centred. I just have problems exiting, er, gracefully, I can't get that push to the out.

Hey, and although I'd given up dance for a while, someone else was doing the Willow Waltz and had the music on and I went around too, and I've got the whole thing down pat. For me, the less dance I do, the better it gets. Let's see, that's one dance in three months, I'll do that one again in September I guess.

Sad
Who knows where my loop went? Supposedly loop and backspin are related, eh? I kept trying to jump off my spin spot (too many backspins) instead of getting on the toepick so had a nasty sideways-woooowww-eeeeeeh-splat to the ice. My other jumps showed up and were nice and pop-ish, so I'm going to have to have a discussion with my loop.

Double Sad
I've got one skating day left. sob

Terri C
06-21-2005, 08:27 PM
This is for yesterday and today:

Happy:
Had some good spins yesterday and toying with the idea of doing the Bronze spins event at Peach. Skated segements of my freeskate program very well.

On the home front, Mom is now eating and acting like her normal self again (she told me yesterday after a long test in Radiology " I had a LONG damn day!!!"). Barring any surprises, I hope to get her home by the end of the week!

Sad:
The stress of Mom being back in the hospital, along with working six days in a row took such a toll on my skating the last couple of days that I didn't do a complete program runthrough yesterday and Bronze moves didn't show up for my lesson today. Both coaches ordered me off the ice to go home and get much needed rest. I've also ordered myself not to go in the hospital to see Mom before 9am tomorrow, when I'm off ( for those that don't know I work at the hospital where my mom is a patient!).

Casey
06-21-2005, 10:50 PM
I concur. I'm also confused about this skipping around on tests- you can't do that. You have to take them in order.
Thanks for telling me - one other person elsewhere confirmed this too. So basically what the coach told me is wrong, and I haven't really passed anything... That's just great, really. Guess my skating is actually crap and I haven't accomplished anything. I'm really too disheartened at the moment to call her up and ask about it.

Guess I picked the topic well, because that definitely puts me in a pretty sad place. :(

sk8joyful
06-21-2005, 11:15 PM

stardust skies
06-22-2005, 01:15 AM
That's definitely not true- your skating is not crap, and you've accomplished a ton. You CAN pass freestyle 2- you DID pass it.This means you've got the elements to it down. Sometimes with the easier elements that give you trouble, ALL that you can do is practice. Time and practice is really all that will help stuff like back edges and whatnot. It doesn't mean you're a bad skater, or that you're not worthy of FS2- which you passed. But I would question your coach's qualifications as a, well, coach, and I would insist that she follows the ISI guidelines if you decide to keep her. You can take the other tests. It will take TIME, but it's nothing you are not capable of doing. Don't beat yourself up. A test is a test, but at the same time...a test is just a test. :)

Thanks for telling me - one other person elsewhere confirmed this too. So basically what the coach told me is wrong, and I haven't really passed anything... That's just great, really. Guess my skating is actually crap and I haven't accomplished anything. I'm really too disheartened at the moment to call her up and ask about it.

Guess I picked the topic well, because that definitely puts me in a pretty sad place. :(

NickiT
06-22-2005, 02:34 AM
NickiT: Congrats to your daughter!!! YAAAAY!!! :D

Thanks Jazzpants. Daughter has taken medal to school today. I don't blame her for wanting to show it off ;) !

Nicki

Casey
06-22-2005, 03:19 AM
That's definitely not true- your skating is not crap, and you've accomplished a ton. You CAN pass freestyle 2- you DID pass it.
Thanks stardust! The initial shock was just a bit much - I had already heard the bad news from somebody on another group, and then right after I read your post here, and you're one of those people whose advice about testing I don't question.

Anyways, she just wrote back a little while ago with quoted text from the ISI Skaters and Coaches Handbook, and here it is:

WHAT ARE THE TEST REQUIREMENTS?

Tests must be taken and passed in order of difficulty.
Tests must be administered by a current ISI Administrative Member
Tests must be graded by a current ISI Associate Member
Tests must be taken by a current ISI Individual Member (Tot-Pre-Aplha exempt)

The Pre-Alpha through Delta tests are prerequisites for Freestyle,
Couple, Ice Dance, Figure, and Pairs tests.

After regaining my composure, I sent the above text along with an inquiry to my coach. I probably just misunderstood something along the way or...something. I finally realized that, as you say, a test is just a test, and it doesn't affect my skating. It's just frustrating!

blue111moon
06-22-2005, 07:07 AM
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY:

Last hight I landed FOUR (count 'em - FOUR) clean flips out of only six attempts. I'm so thrilled! It's been seven years that I've been two-footing the darned jump. I broke that streak in the Mountain Cup camp by landing two really ugly ones - Thank you, Manuela! but last week I couldn't do one in front of my coach. Then, presto, last night, they just came. My caoch wasn't there but I did have witnesses so I'm hoping this is the break-through I've been waiting for. :lol:

SAD: Not much. Spins could have been better and the run-through of my Interp program wasn't as strong as it should be (plus I left the props at home) but I can deal.

I'm too happy about the flips to let anything else get me down, even the prospect of doing four weeks of laundry tonight after work.

*JennaD*
06-22-2005, 08:27 AM
Happy!!

I finally am kind of getting the hang of axels! I mean I can't land it, but I at least understand what to do, and I am starting to really kick my leg through!

Sad...

I was doing skills during the spring...and when I went to do them yesterday I just completely couldn't do them anymore!!

Mrs Redboots
06-22-2005, 08:39 AM
VERY HAPPY

Not that I want to shout it from the rooftops or anything, but......my daughter won silver medal at the Guildford Opens today in the level 1 class age 10 and under. I'm a very proud mum tonight!!! :bow: :D :D

NickiExcellent! Good for her. And I bet she'll be a very proud daughter tomorrow, when you go and do likewise, or even better!

See you tomorrow!

Mrs Redboots
06-22-2005, 08:41 AM
Happy: Had a good run-through of all our dances, no music, but we skated them well and, I hope, to time (that wretched Riverside Rhumba is slower than I think it is!). We also worked through the Festival Quickstep for Sunday (only a RIDL, but it does help to know the steps, which I could never get right, which isn't surprising, as Husband had them wrong, too....).

In my lesson, coach & I decided not to bother with a last run-through of my artistic - I had done it on Sunday, and there's nothing more to do to it. All he said was overact a bit more, even if it means skating a bit less.... So we went back to basic - plain vanilla forward stroking, mostly. 3 pushes, then holding an edge (either inside or outside) with free leg tucked in, focussing on getting my weight to the back of the blade. And swing rolls, focussing on lifting the free leg higher.... sheesh... hard work! Also worked on back outside & inside edges (so what else is new?), twizzles (which I can do much better when he's not watching!), bracket-3-brackets (probably on 2 feet mostly, for now, to get the feel), and changes-of-edge. I am bored with the old exercises, and want him to devise me ones to practice between lessons.

Also seriously thinking of returning to solo dance for Oxford in November - no need to decide yet, but we might work on the dances just to see.....As well as dancing with Husband, of course, not instead of!

Sad: Too long to go into here! See my post entitled "A chapter of Accidents!" What a morning!

Isk8NYC
06-22-2005, 08:44 AM
Casey - Don't get too upset. I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding, which is why I was tip-toeing around instead just saying "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!"

I coach both USFSA and ISI. There's a definite ladder structure to testing in both and you can't just skip tests. I'm sure your coach knows this. When I first started testing ISI, I did skip a level - Freestyle 3. I competed one year in Freestyle 2, then the next year in Freestyle 4. However, I did take and pass the Freestyle 3 test, actually at the same time I took the FS4 test. I just didn't want to compete at FS3 and my skills were just barely strong enough to get to FS4. (I had a really good friend competing at the FS3 level and I didn't want to skate against her that season. It cost me: I really struggled with consistency that season in FS4. But the friendship was worth more than the medals/trophies.)

Another skater I know had a coach who did Run-Through Tests for the MITF. Basically, it's a dress rehearsal for the real test. It helps you understand to wait for the judges to be ready to score you, remember what order the tests take, and make sure your dress doesn't ride up on you! Well, you may not have to worry about the last item, but maybe your pants are too flared and you'll trip. I'll bet that's what your coach intended, just to see where your skating sits on the test ladder.

As to having other coaches test your students: I always ask for that because I think it makes it more impartial. I tell the students that the judges are going to be tough and they have to do their best to pass. If they fail, no biggie - just practice more and take it again. It's actually a good, albeit heart-breaking, lesson for the kids. Adults understand and will actually argue a pass: "But that outside edge wasn't deep enough - I shouldn't have passed!" I know of coaches who've tested their own because it's just infinitely more convenient than arranging for a colleague to help out. (There are the whole time/$$ issues, too.)

Another possibility is that the rink uses the ISI test structures for their LTS school, but only REGISTERS the tests if you want to compete and/or get the patch. (Get the patches -- they're fun to collect!) Join the ISI as individual member -- the rink usually has the forms. Membership lets you purchase the handbooks, you get a cute magazine, and you MUST have an active membership to test/compete. Work hard to master everything up to and including FS2. Have your coach arrange for another professional to test you and ask for their input. Then, make sure the test forms get registered. Then the tests are yours at that point as long as you keep up your membership. They're the same all over the world. (They can be reinstated if you do forget to renew.)

Sorry this is so long, but I really didn't want you to feel bad about yourself -- you've accomplished a lot and I'm sure you'll pass the tests with flying colors!

Isk8NYC
06-22-2005, 08:50 AM
I sat my third kiwiskate badge last night ...

I take it you're in Australia? "Kiwiskate" -- How adorable!

Try to fit in one or two extra practices and really focus on doing the test elements at least 10 times each. I'm sure that'll help you pass. If not, no biggie - just take the test again. If you don't want to repeat the whole class, I'm sure a couple of weeks practice and a few privates will help you get ready to test. You CAN take tests outside of the group lesson structure if you ask the director nicely.

Casey
06-22-2005, 01:13 PM
Casey - Don't get too upset. I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding, which is why I was tip-toeing around instead just saying "YOU CAN'T DO THAT!"
Don't worry, if you know something, and say it confidently as such, I won't mind at all. Better to know for certain than to believe the wrong thing too long.

I wasn't upset because I didn't pass. I was upset because I was told I passed and then found out I didn't really. So I felt lied to. I don't think that's what it actually was, but it took me a bit to get over it.

Adults understand and will actually argue a pass: "But that outside edge wasn't deep enough - I shouldn't have passed!"
Sounds like me!

Another possibility is that the rink uses the ISI test structures for their LTS school, but only REGISTERS the tests if you want to compete and/or get the patch. (Get the patches -- they're fun to collect!)
Yes, that makes sense. I'm sure that's what it is. I should find out today.

Join the ISI as individual member -- the rink usually has the forms. Membership lets you purchase the handbooks, you get a cute magazine, and you MUST have an active membership to test/compete.
I signed up on their website at the beginning of the year. I got an ISI card, which is a tear-out piece of paper with a number on it that doesn't even have my name printed on it, and I've never gotten any of the magazines or anything else. I've been kinda disappointed about that, but anyways I am a member...

Thanks for the additional clarifications!

kiwibabe
06-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Nope sorry I'm in New Zealand, alot of people get New Zealand and Australia mixed up. Kiwiskate is really for kids but it gives us adults something to work towards. I did end up passing my third badge, its the fourth one that will be the killer but I will work on that slowly and try not to be competitive with the other people in my class.

I take it you're in Australia? "Kiwiskate" -- How adorable!

Try to fit in one or two extra practices and really focus on doing the test elements at least 10 times each. I'm sure that'll help you pass. If not, no biggie - just take the test again. If you don't want to repeat the whole class, I'm sure a couple of weeks practice and a few privates will help you get ready to test. You CAN take tests outside of the group lesson structure if you ask the director nicely.

flo
06-22-2005, 03:43 PM
Kiwibabe - how cute. Is there a website for the program? For club this year, I'd like to introduce the kids to international programs. We could have a New Zealand day.
We have snowplow sam.
Thanks

kiwibabe
06-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Kiwibabe - how cute. Is there a website for the program? For club this year, I'd like to introduce the kids to international programs. We could have a New Zealand day.
We have snowplow sam.
Thanks

Hi,

There is:
http://www.paradice.co.nz/KiwiSkate.html which gives you a overview and picture of the skating kiwi and you can see the badges.

If you want to see what the program involves:
http://www.nzisa.com/Learn_to_skate.htm
or go into rules & regulations on the side bar of the website and click on kiwiskate to download the pdf.

Let me know if you need anymore help.

Michigansk8er
06-22-2005, 06:51 PM
:) Skated again this week............have only been on the ice 3 times in the last 7 weeks. Yay!!!!

:D :D I start with a new dance coach on Friday. He's agreed to come to our rink once a week (from Detroit). Yay!!!!

Tessa
06-22-2005, 08:54 PM
Wow! What a week everyone has been having!!!

Kiwibabe -- I work with a New Zealand guy and when we tease him we love to say, "Oh yeah, Aussie right?" He gets SO mad. Like when the olympics where in Austraila we were like, "So Daniel? Family get to see the diving and gymnastics?" Man was he mad. And his nickname at work is Kiwi.

OK back on the ice -- I'm already in vaycay mode as I have almost a whole month at the beach starting July 1 -- I've been working mad overtime and have not had as much time to skate and actually, since I know I'm off ice until August, I don't want to spend lots of $$$ on lessons until I get back.

Happy: one of my best friends came out to skate with me today (my first time on the ice in 1.5 weeks), this was her FIRST time EVER ice skating. She did really well! It was fun and she had fun watching me play. My 3's did not vanish as I'd feared they would. Sure, not perfect and the pattern is a mess in a dress, but I can do all of them. Barely. My 8-step mohawk actually worked better. I worked my last lesson (1.5 weeks ago--the beer sweat hungover lesson) to get my feet more under me and durn but that works.

Sad: took a lovely tremendous fall on a sit spin and really wracked my left elbow...again. Camel bit the dust. Was there ever a camel? Anyhoo....my landing knee is still swollen from landing semi cheated jumps. I need to do more off ice work to jump UP and AROUND and not land on my toepick, plus lunges on the stability ball to strengthen the muscles around my knee (my stepmother and father are both phys ed teachers, skaters and hockey players back home and they diagnosed my knee when I was home over Memorial Day weekend).

My friend really liked skating. She liked the gliding feel. She said it felt like flying and trust me, she was not going fast at all. Maybe another adult convert? When I told her how much skates cost she blanched...she's starting a not-for-profit charity for an orphanage in Vietnam and all she thinks about are getting bikes and clothes for the orphans. I may try to find a nice used pair for her for Christmas as she likes the workout and wants to skate more after my vacation and into the fall.

Boy was this yarny and long! How many days till July 1 and BEACH???

luna_skater
06-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Sad: Have been super busy the past week, so I didn't get a chance to practice before today's lesson. I went to go public skating this morning, and the rink had been invaded by an elementary school class so I bailed. :)

Happy: Despite the lack of practice, I worked up to a flip before my coach arrived for my lesson tonight. I was glad that the flip came back, since I only learned it last week and was worried it would disappear since I hadn't practiced it. During my lesson...combinations! Landed waltz-loop, sal-loop, toe-loop, and loop-loop. :D Very exciting; I'd never attempted any of these before!

Worked on my spin a bit, and the centering improved some. But I still can't get my blasted free leg in the right place. AARRGGH!

dbny
06-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Sad:
Still not sleeping well, so I didn't have the energy to really work much today, especially since I don't get to skate until after I've taught the tots for an hour, which brings me to another sad. The most advanced kid in my tots class (she's 6 and really shouldn't be there anymore, but is home schooled, so...) was absent last week, and this week I learned that she broke her arm doing a cartwheel. Rats! She was actually starting FO threes, and her FXO's were looking pretty good.

Happy:
I managed to do the FO and FI alt three patterns a few times, still up to my new standard, but still not any better than that. F and B cross strokes were fun today since the rink was empty. Did the spiral stretches and then skated a really good prelim spiral pattern, without the spirals still, but with arched back and free leg as high as I could get it. Unfortunately a party group of pre-teen boys appeared and that was the end of patterns!

*IceDancer1419*
06-22-2005, 10:08 PM
Only SAD today. :(

Well, a few weeks ago I fell on my right knee... which would be ok if I'd slid on it, but I fell directly down on it from a spiral. It hurt like... ummm... h-e-double hockey sticks ;) :P And it got immensely swollen. The next day, I hit it with the car door :roll: It was SO hurt that it's been very sensitive ever since... if I put pressure on it (ie kneel on it) it starts hurting a ton.

So. Today, being the oh-so-TALENTED girl I am, I fell on it AGAIN. :roll: From a spiral, AGAIN. :roll: Not *quite* as bad as last time, since this time I fell on BOTH knees and slid a bit, but it still hurts a LOT and is swollen. FUN. :roll: This was all 10 minutes into my session so I didn't get to skate at ALL. :cry:

Also... I watched a video of my skating the other day, and I suck. :( :cry: I really, really do. I dont' know what it is, I just look so AWKWARD and stupid and... bleh. And I feel like I'm getting nowhere. ANd like I suck. Which I do. BLEH.

Casey
06-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Also... I watched a video of my skating the other day, and I suck. :( :cry: I really, really do. I dont' know what it is, I just look so AWKWARD and stupid and... bleh. And I feel like I'm getting nowhere. ANd like I suck. Which I do. BLEH.
I'm sure you don't suck! The first time of myself was when my dad was visiting - I talked him and my grandfather to come skating (my grandfather, who's 82, didn't care to ice skate, but he videoed). Anyways we had great fun and I showed off my best stuff (at the time, a salchow and toeloop, both newly-learned, some spin attempts, and not too much more). When we got back and watched the tape, I wanted to crawl into a hole and cry. I looked soooo awful. But it made me start paying more attention to what I was doing, and I started taking video clips with my phone just so I could see my errors right there on the spot. I think this has helped, or maybe not. In any case I've seen improvement over time - I'm confident that you will to.

I still don't understand - how do you people fall on your knees? If you start to fall, straighten your legs! When I fall out of spirals, I land on my hip. It still hurts like hockey sticks, but I can still skate after a minute of rest, with minimal/no swelling (I'm not really sure if my knees would even swell - I've never once landed on them!). The best, as in least painful, falls that I have have been on my chest - there the impact is spread out and it doesn't hurt at all. I think my instinct is to rotate though, when I see the ice coming towards my face :P , and that puts me on my hip, almost every time.

By the way, we were talking about the girl with leopardskin boots a while ago - do you also know one with hot pink boots? I saw her skating at OVA today and thought they were unattractive, but they sure did draw in your eyes just because they stood out so much!

Happy: I signed up for USFSA today with the Seattle Skating club. I also bought a 1-month flat rate card for the adult-rate of $110/month (I still can't believe that!), AND they said that it would be for July, but they would pretend it was July already, so that essentially means I get a free week, and I got to skate, for the first time ever, on an Olympic-sized surface today!! The ice was somewhere between the hard brittle stuff at my old rink and the melty stuff at the rink near my house. They seem to have a very good zamboni there, unlike the one at the rink near my house which leaves behind water-filled ruts - the ice surface itself was very smooth and nice. The rink is slightly colder, but comfortable. Not like the super-cold studio rink at the one near my house, or the cold rink that I used to skate at.

Sad: The melty stuff is a bit easier to skate on. They don't have rubber floors between the bleachers or the stairs in between, and I didn't realize this until I went walking up them on my toepicks towards my skate bag to get a tissue (at step 4, I realized my horrible error, and hurried back down and got my blade guards). Stupid, stupid me. It didn't seem to do too much damage, at least...

The rink is going to take getting used to. The ice is huge, and it makes me feel small. There was also a Nationals-placing ice dancer giving lessons that I've talked to previously (he was my skate fitter), but whom had never seen me skate, so that made me pretty nervous. I couldn't skate as fast as normal. My jumps were crappy, my spins were okay at first, but went downhill. I seem to have forgotten any and all moves - I had a hard time remembering anything to even work on. I fell trying to step out of a spread eagle (how the heck does THAT happen??), I fell trying to do a backward shoot-the-duck which I usually have no problem with (but then did one fine). I couldn't do a loop, and flips were REALLY inconsistant. I just felt weird altogether. I think I'll get used to it though.

stardust skies
06-23-2005, 01:00 AM
I need to do more off ice work to jump UP and AROUND and not land on my toepick

I'm sure you know this, and are just talking about not landing SO MUCH on your toepick- but you are actually supposed to land on your toepick and then glide out in a jump. It's a milisecond, but it is how you land. So you're halfway there!!! ;)

Casey
06-23-2005, 02:29 AM
You know, it just occured to me...

I almost never see anyone saying "oh hey my salchow was mediocre today" or "well my spins were pretty average today" - seems we're a pretty extremist bunch. It's either WONDERFUL or downright crap!

Anita18
06-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Sad:
I thought I had completely lost my backspin yesterday. Couldn't keep the position, and I was getting REALLY frustrated.
Scratch spin was pretty poor yesterday too, but I got a few fairly good ones.
Coach spent the entire lesson today working on my waltz jump. I have to remember to keep my (*#@&$ right shoulder (and hip) back during the jump!

Happy:
Crossovers improving, as long as I remember the second push, LOL! Coach said my backwards didn't need fixing, but if only I wasn't so scared so I could go faster. :P
Sitspin getting better as well
FINALLY got a few good backspins in a row yesterday after getting seriously frustrated. I tried some out today before my lesson and it's still there, so this is good news. :)
Waltz jump got better after serious reworking. I can do the right movement sometimes, but now I have to get it so it's like that all the time!
Coach liked my landing position, but I doubt I could keep my leg up to hip level on all of my jumps. :P
Obviously Coach wants me to get the basic stuff down instead of rushing through everything. He didn't even see any of my other jumps today. :P But that's good - I want to get all of the basics, and I'm glad he's nitpicking.
Even though I'm trodding slowly along fixing my moves, I feel like I've improved already after only my second lesson, so having an $$$ coach is totally worth it.

Casey
06-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Coach liked my landing position, but I doubt I could keep my leg up to hip level on all of my jumps. :P

Hmm...your leg probably shouldn't be that high. I was doing that at first too, but then my coach explained that a jump landing doesn't need the leg extension of a spiral, and she encouraged me to *lower* it.

skatergirlva
06-23-2005, 08:29 PM
Happy:
I skated Tuesday and Wednesday for the first time since having my son. (He was born 4 weeks ago-8lbs, 11 oz). Technically, I wasn't suppose to skate for 6 weeks, but I rounded it off because I was going just a tad bit nuts. :) All my single jumps are fine and spins were good, except I only did two camel spins because of my silly stiches. Flying camels were actually very good considering that I haven't done them since October. Some of my Novice moves (which I had been working on) are still pretty good.

Sad
I wanted to work on the axel and double loop, but I figured I better not until I see the doctor....rrrr Happy skating! :)

Debbie S
06-23-2005, 09:24 PM
I skated Tuesday and Wednesday for the first time since having my son. (He was born 4 weeks ago-8lbs, 11 oz).
Congratulations!

All my single jumps are fine and spins were good, except I only did two camel spins because of my silly stiches.
I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like you should take it easy, if you've had a C-section. That's major abdominal surgery. Take care of yourself! :)

My "Happy" report - I think I'm getting better at pushing with my inside edges in the transitions on the power 3's and back perimeter stroking. My power 3 patterns were OK last night - and I didn't freak out when I did the right side.

"Sad" - Still too much toe scraping on back crossovers, and my backspin is still bad. I also fell on my left knee practicing the BO to FO transition in the 5-step.

*IceDancer1419*
06-23-2005, 10:13 PM
Happy: Most of my field moves worked... and I got to skate for 5 hours :roll: (yes, I'm obsessed. And yes, I'm kinda dying right now :roll: )
Sad: my 3 turns didn't ;) *work, that is)

My knee feels better... and Casey, I always "crumple" when I fall, so I practically always fall on my knees :roll: And... once I fell with my legs open. Not splits, but on the INSIDES of my knees. Wait, not once, I did that twice :roll: It hurt ;) I don't think I ever have fewer than around 3 bruises. :D lol :lol:

I like OVA... it's expensive (though the deal you got is awesome, I must say... I noticed that for my level it's like $200 amonth, which isn't too bad, but... meh, right now I skate more at Everett ;) my brother, mom and I have a family membership for $150 that gets us unlimited public sessions there... and the daytime/morning sessions are empty! individual one costs $90... it's a pretty good deal ;) )) so I dont' skate there as much. I'll probably see you around one of these days! ;) I'll be at the camp next week, thurs/fri, if you're there at all those days ;)

jazzpants
06-24-2005, 01:43 AM
Happy:

When I had a clear path and not getting blocked, my Bronze Moves was pretty much smooth sailing. Even my slower, weaker side (LFO3's) is getting faster...
Alt forward Xovers - WOO HOO!!! I was going pretty fast and it was very easy to get thru.
Alt backward Xovers - Can't complain about them much. Just wished I had an emptier rink so I can go full steam ahead like Sat. night. (I knew I did it right when afterwards a beginning kid skated over and said "You're GOOD!!!" and she said it like she just met a celebrity.
Rest of my moves are fine.
Sad:

5 step mohawk is where things are challenging. Not b/c I couldn't do them, but b/c I had a crowd to maneuver. Otherwise, I did okay on those too.
Doing RFI3's at full speed are a challenge...

Doing RFI mohawks at speed is still a challenge... but it would give me extra confidence for my test (and relief from my secondary coach) if I could do them at full speed. :twisted:
Lower back was bothering me towards the end of the session.

stardust skies
06-24-2005, 03:05 AM
Hmm...your leg probably shouldn't be that high. I was doing that at first too, but then my coach explained that a jump landing doesn't need the leg extension of a spiral, and she encouraged me to *lower* it.

I concur. Your leg should be as high as when you are holding out your stroking extension, which means about 45 to 50 degrees. Hip level means 90 degrees, aka camel position, and definitely not landing position.

Casey- I'll answer your latest pm tomorrow, I should already be in bed, hehe.

Casey
06-24-2005, 04:10 AM
I should already be in bed, hehe.
LOL, me too! But we're both up right now it seems, because this just got posted as I was catching up on posts. I just got home not long ago, and I have a freestyle session to attend in less than 4 hours...oh jeez!

blue111moon
06-24-2005, 07:23 AM
Sad: no clean flips last night :cry: :cry: :cry: Not for lack of trying. I have no idea why, except that the ice was pretty crappy (shouldn't the club get a discount on the ice when the rink guy decided not to resurface for us because the session before us - "Camp Ice" only had two kids and the coach on it and "the ice is only a little marked up"? Um, it's been sitting there un-done for two hours before we get on, and halfway through our session it's dry, crunchy and chewed up into styrofoam.)

Happy: Salchow-loop is solid. Spins were okay. I did get a couple of really good sit spins and managed eight rotations on a backspin. And we did three straight run-throughs of my Interp program as prep for the competition I'm doing in a couple weeks. I forgot the props AGAIN and worked on the miming parts instead.

Irritating: two young girls spent the whole session - two hours - on the same hockey circle in one corner, doing crossovers occassionally but mostly just standing in the middle talking. My coach ended up going over and asking them to move because it was the jump corner and they were in the way of people's landings. I know it's summer and the session is open to everyone regardless of level or discipline but it's still not a public session. Use the whole rink to skate and get off the ice if all you're going to do is chat.

Terri C
06-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Happy:
I skated Tuesday and Wednesday for the first time since having my son. (He was born 4 weeks ago-8lbs, 11 oz). Technically, I wasn't suppose to skate for 6 weeks, but I rounded it off because I was going just a tad bit nuts. :) All my single jumps are fine and spins were good, except I only did two camel spins because of my silly stiches. Flying camels were actually very good considering that I haven't done them since October. Some of my Novice moves (which I had been working on) are still pretty good.

Sad
I wanted to work on the axel and double loop, but I figured I better not until I see the doctor....rrrr Happy skating! :)

Welcome back to the ice!
Yesterday, I manged to get to the rink! Ran through segements of my freeskate program, and all is intact. Worked on Bronze moves in a effort to make peace with what I couldn't do on Tuesday.
Will start skating at a rink that is cheaper and closer to home, but with a smaller surface next week ( actually as early as tomorrow) and go to my home rink for lessons/practice once a week (damn stupid rink management!)

Skate@Delaware
06-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Happy: Went skating Thursday and managed to skate almost everything on my list somewhat above mediocre!!! Even my right 3-turns (although they were somewhat forced...)
AND-I dropped my skates off at the pro shop to get my blade re-mounted. The guy looked at it and knew right away that it was really screwed up. He asked me how I even managed to skate on it....well, I have managed, just not that well. So, I will pick them up on Sunday in time for the next public session, straight and sharp :P Hopefully, they won't need any more adjusting (then I will know it's just me)

Sad: No matter what I do and how well I think I do it, dear daughter always has a smarta** remark! Teenagers!! I sometimes wish I'd left her home!

Also, I must be a little child magnet when I spin-right when my leg is ready to whip around, here comes a little kid ready to tell me something fantastic they can do on the ice! So I have to screech to a stop and politely tell them to stay clear of my "blades of death" :twisted: so they don't get hurt!!

There weren't too many kids during the public session, however, when we first got there, a sign was posted that there was no public skate!!! AHHH! I explained to the guy that I checked their website and it wasn't posted on their homepage, and just drove 1.5 hours.......after my spiel, he said he was going to let me skate anyway!! :frus:

And, last but not least, hubby nixed the idea of summer lessons.....even as drop-in. Said the price of gas was outrageous and that would make everything too expensive.......so ya' hit 'em with the most expensive thing first, then ya' ease in somethin' cheaper! So I mentioned that we could split a lesson during public session on an occasional Sunday---he's mulling that one over! He might go for that! He needs edge work and I need 3-turn help (don't know what to do with my arms)....might get my way afterall!

jazzpants
06-24-2005, 03:00 PM
Also, I must be a little child magnet when I spin-right when my leg is ready to whip around, here comes a little kid ready to tell me something fantastic they can do on the ice! So I have to screech to a stop and politely tell them to stay clear of my "blades of death" :twisted: so they don't get hurt!!"Blades of Death" LOL!!! Are you reading Dilbert these days? (i.e. "Fists of Death") Can I borrow this term? :lol:

*THIS* is exactly what I mean when I say "You do not learn spins thru osmosis..." And last time I've checked, I'm not a tea bag either... :roll:

Other thing I've noticed (but this could just be me but...) I attract more kids (little girls in particular) when I'm spinning. When I'm working on my Bronze Moves (or jumping for that matter), I rarely get any attention. (Which is why I was surprised when a kid said that I was good Sat. night. I was just doing my Bronze moves pattern...)

I guess that's more motivation to work on Bronze Moves... keep dem pesky little kids away. (Just kidding, you kids who are reading this thread. Auntie Jazzpants actually loves kid... just NOT "blades of death" chopped up...) :twisted:

*IceDancer1419*
06-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Sad: My practicing today was rather bleh :roll: I did practically nothing for an hour... though I made SOME progress (see happy :P ;) :lol: )
I found otu that one of my good friends at the rink's mom has cancer. :( Man, that made me think a lot about the complaints I have. I'm so lucky. I'm healthy and my family is healthy. I felt so horrible for her! I gave her a big, huge hug... her mom's been battling it (on and off, I suppose) for 10 years :( The girl's such a sweetheart, too. :(
And, I went to see my doctor about my swollen, warm, aching (though not too bad) knee, and she said that it might have been a hairline fracture of my kneecap...

Happy:
MY KNEECAP IS NOT FRACTURED!!!! yayyyyyyy... trust me, I was THRILLED when I heard that :roll: just a bruise! I can deal with bruises. ;) I think I'm getting kneepads though, in order to let it FULLY heal... (I've hit this knee hard multiple times which is part of the reason that it's bothering me as much as it is, and getting so swollen)
I had FUN at the rink today. Lots of fun. Before, I was so focused on doing moves, I'd get discouraged, and start feeling... kinda bleh. And today, I had fun. Just plain fun. :)
I also made some progress on my 3 turns... it's not the TURN that's the problem, it's the step forward to the nEXT three turn ;) Also, before I got tired, my salchow was decent, and my toeloop is less pathetic ;)

luna_skater
06-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Happy: Really needed to skate today after a weird day at work...and had a great session! Spins improved by leaps and bounds. I think I finally figured out the trick to getting centered, and my free leg is *just* about right where I want it. Got a couple of controlled revs on the backspin, too!

Worked on my loops a lot, and managed a couple of good waltz-loops. Sal is getting more height and power. Flips are getting better, too!

Uber-happy: Came thisclose to an outside spread eagle! It was more straight than outside, but previous attempts have been more inside than anything. So if I can just muster up a bit more bravery, hopefully I'll be on a stronger outside edge soon.

aussieskater
06-24-2005, 09:59 PM
Happy (very) - that rotten CCW mohawk I need in four weeks finally arrived - together with the steps before and after it! And stayed!! For about a hundred repetitions. Now I need to get it about 4 times as fast with 10 times the ice coverage and I stand a chance of keeping up. And I did it in front of witnesses - one of whom said "so where's the problem bit - did you chicken out?" "No I did it - this bit" (repeating the mohawk) - and she said something like "But that's so smooth and confident. I'd never have guessed you couldn't do that half an hour ago!"

And where was my coach to witness this amazing breakthrough? Hold your breath - he was getting on TV. We have a new ice skating show coming on TV here called Celebrities on Thin Ice (the first skating show I can recall ever being shown on Aussie TV), and he's one of the coaches. Can't wait to see the show - according to the TV promo's, it starts on Jul 3rd.

More happy - I've just finished the first batch of skirts I'm making for our local synchro team, so have time to play on the computer.

Casey
06-25-2005, 02:27 AM
Happy: Skated pretty well tonight - I couldn't bring myself to try a loop or flip, and my spins were gone, but I still practiced spinning a bunch, and general skating went really well. I moved very fast the whole time with only a couple small breaks during the 3.5 hour session. I'm starting to get really comfortable with reversing footwork directions whenever I want, and every time a halfway-tolerable song came on, I'd skate to the music, and apparently I did pretty well because an older adult hockey skater of substantial skill came up when I was putting on my guards and asked how far I got. I said "huh, what?" and he proceeded to ask whether I'd ever competed at regional/national competitions. I said "huh, what are you talking about? No, I just started skating in November." He said that was pretty impressive - I dunno - I guess it's just because I skate fast. I skated hard almost the whole time, plus rollerbladed a mile each way to and from the rink...so I'm pretty darn knackered now, and going to bed!

Sad:Just the boot situation - any skating weaknesses don't matter in comparison.

sk8pics
06-25-2005, 10:17 AM
And, last but not least, hubby nixed the idea of summer lessons.....even as drop-in. Said the price of gas was outrageous and that would make everything too expensive.......so ya' hit 'em with the most expensive thing first, then ya' ease in somethin' cheaper! So I mentioned that we could split a lesson during public session on an occasional Sunday---he's mulling that one over! He might go for that! He needs edge work and I need 3-turn help (don't know what to do with my arms)....might get my way afterall!

Is this at the Pond? I think you've said before you've been skating there in the summer. If so, we might run into each other some Sunday since I have a lesson on the last freestyle session, which is right before the public skate. I think I'm usually the only adult on that session, so say hello if you are there! And btw, there is no ice next weekend at all there. No sign was posted when I was there on Thursday, but the sign was up yesterday.

Pat

Mrs Redboots
06-25-2005, 10:51 AM
And, last but not least, hubby nixed the idea of summer lessons.....even as drop-in. Said the price of gas was outrageous and that would make everything too expensive.......I didn't see this earlier. Is your husband aware what we pay for petrol (gas) in Europe? It works out as over $6.00 per gallon.... so no, it is not expensive in the USA, rather the reverse!

I hope you can persuade him to reverse that decision.

Terri C
06-25-2005, 04:19 PM
Happy:
Went to the smaller rink today and made peace with Bronze moves! My power threes simply ROCKED!!! :D :D :D

Sad:
It was hard to do a program runthrough- I was blocked at the beginning!

Skate@Delaware
06-25-2005, 05:00 PM
Is this at the Pond? I think you've said before you've been skating there in the summer. If so, we might run into each other some Sunday since I have a lesson on the last freestyle session, which is right before the public skate. I think I'm usually the only adult on that session, so say hello if you are there! And btw, there is no ice next weekend at all there. No sign was posted when I was there on Thursday, but the sign was up yesterday.

Pat

Yes, The Pond! I will be there tomorrow-with brats in tow (I hope it's not awfully crowded-wish they would open the olympic side for public skate!!!!)! Look for me, I'm the haggard looking one hopefully recovered from a 2-day + migraine........ I pick up my hopefully fixed skates from the pro shop. My blade was severely mis-mounted at my home rink and they are fixing it so I may not be able to skate at first because I'm used to 'leaning' to compensate!

We've managed to be up there every other Sunday and every other Thursday. We are alternating weeks with the pool and beach!

Don't you love how they post stuff last-minute? Although I've been told to check the calendar page on their website.

Skate@Delaware
06-25-2005, 05:05 PM
I didn't see this earlier. Is your husband aware what we pay for petrol (gas) in Europe? It works out as over $6.00 per gallon.... so no, it is not expensive in the USA, rather the reverse!

I hope you can persuade him to reverse that decision.

If you knew him-any money going out is too much money!!! He once told me I spent too much money on food and we needed to cut back on what we ate! Of course, he is the one with the biggest appetite!

I cart kids up to the rink in the summer-he wanted me to charge them about $5 per head to cover gas-which I refused on the grounds that I was going to the rink anyway and it's the same whether the van is full or not.

He's cheap! I'm used to it and more than make up for his cheapness! You should have seen his face when I got my new skates and paid the $400+ for them-he almost croaked!

So, I will spring for private coaching from an ice dancer-which is what I wanted in the first place. Seen from a different perspective, it will seem cheaper to him (compared to the alternative). After 16 years of being married to Mr. Cheap, I've learned how to manipulate the man into getting what I want (sometimes it works, sometimes not)! :twisted:

sk8pics
06-26-2005, 01:09 PM
Yes, The Pond! I will be there tomorrow-with brats in tow (I hope it's not awfully crowded-wish they would open the olympic side for public skate!!!!)! Look for me, I'm the haggard looking one hopefully recovered from a 2-day + migraine........ ...
Don't you love how they post stuff last-minute? Although I've been told to check the calendar page on their website.

Sorry i missed you! I skated early today since my coach is away. I hope your public session was okay! And actually, a sign posted more than a week before is really good for them. Used to be that things wouldn't be posted until the same day, which wasn't much help. And the web site never used to be updated, but they seem to be doing better at that, too.

Perhaps I will see you in two weeks!

Pat

Skate@Delaware
06-26-2005, 08:00 PM
HAPPY:lol::I finally had the blade on my right skate moved-it was moved 3/8" to the right! The guy in the pro-shop could not believe it was so messed up....when I told him where it was done he just shook his head. I can now glide on my right foot in a straight line!

I did spend the whole of today's session working up on my moves getting the feel again: edges, 3-turns (which were really great-just have to get the arm position thing figured out), rockers, and the real tell-all was the clock-wise crossovers, which I had not been able to do until today!!! YAY!!! Then I did some waltz jumps but they are a different problem all together, on one I landed too far forward on my toepick and splatted forwards.... :-{ My daughter said she'd help me with those, my back is too straight on everything. I did a realllllly nice scratch spin that no-one but my skate-angel saw!

SAD::cry: (well, only a little sad) Now I have to unlearn my "leaning" technique that I've been using to compensate for such a bad mount. AND my DAUGHTER is a MEAN skate teacher! :twisted: Nothing makes her happy! WAAAAHH!

Pat-sorry to have missed you! I went up to every skating adult asking "HI! Are you Pat?" Met lots of nice people though! :oops:

sk8pics
06-27-2005, 05:52 AM
Pat-sorry to have missed you! I went up to every skating adult asking "HI! Are you Pat?" Met lots of nice people though! :oops:

LOL, that's so funny! Maybe next time! I expect to be there on the 10th. Glad you had a good time, though.

Pat

Mrs Redboots
06-27-2005, 01:51 PM
Happy: All the competitions are over for 3 weeks, and there are no major ones now until the end of August, at the earliest! Only recreational matches now, and none of those for 3 weeks. Last night's match was fun, as we were skating for Other Woman's team. She and her Husband were the only couple on our team to win their draw, even when she put the best skater of the lot of us on in a very simple dance.... that particular couple were held to a draw!

We had one judge in our favour and 2 against, so lost our match. I actually thought for a second we were going to have a majority in our favour, but he went with the other couple (the so-and-so!). I spoke to him afterwards and he said it had been close, so I asked what would have tipped it. He said we still need to work on skating as a couple, not two individuals (which I knew), and on finishing off our edges (which I also knew), so I'm pleased there's nothing too badly wrong these days. Mind you, these matches are very much luck of the draw - you get drawn against really good skaters, you might as well not bother, but if you get drawn against another couple your own standard or poorer.....

Had great fun social dancing, including an utterly terrifying British Waltz about six times faster than I normally go.... help.... goodness, it was fun!

Sad: Nothing, really, except the thought of going back to basics, rechoreographing the step sequence in our free dance for the fourth time, and all the work that lies ahead! We are both exhausted today - glad Monday's our rink's day off. Back to work tomorrow!

jazzpants
06-28-2005, 01:12 AM
Not that happy a session... Mostly sad, in fact! :cry: It was interestingly crowded for a summer Saturday afternoon and way too short!!! And I had so little time on ice to practice b/c I was running late and had to rush to my pilates towards the end of the day.

Funny note: I was trying to make a quick right hand turn at an intersection and almost run into this one guy that looked very familiar... MY PRIMARY COACH!!! 8O Ooops!!! :oops: He looked like he was heading up for the Gay Pride Festival in San Francisco... He had this shocked look on his face, but pulled over on my passenger side long enough to tell me that he left VM telling me my lesson has to be moved b/c he had some last minute thing he had to go to. Then he walked away. Didn't say a WORD about me almost running him over... Oooookay.... :lol: