View Full Version : Two questions: dance test and layback

Figuresk8_katie
06-20-2005, 01:50 PM
Hi
I have two questions.

Firstly, I'm testing this Friday (4 days). I'll be testing two Gold dances, the Quickstep and the Silver Samba. I've tested the Quickstep before and I feel alright about it. The Samba I'm not so sure about. Does anyone have advice on what the evaluators look for in these dances? My last comment on the Quickstep was that it looked like i "walked" the dance too much.

Secondly, I'm trying to improve my lackback. It's definitely my WORST spin. I hope to get 6 rotations in the layback position. I usually spin with both arms behind my back with my free leg slightly bent. Does anyone have any tips on centering laybacks quickly to prevent losing momentum? Because once I slow down, the spin gets pretty bad :roll:

Thanks!

flo
06-20-2005, 02:16 PM
Hi,
first I center the spin itself (with free leg extended in front), then I lay back.

skatingatty
06-21-2005, 12:26 PM
I agree with Flo. You have to get centered first (my arms are both out to the side at this point) while you're still upright before bending backwards. When you bring your arms together and bend backwards, this will/should automatically speed up your spin. Try different arm and leg positions to see what will enable you to get the most revolutions, like one arm up, another arm straight down toward your free leg, a sideways-bending position, or straight free leg to the side.

stardust skies
06-21-2005, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't put my arms back until you're REALLY confortable with the spin- throws your balance off. Put them in front of you, it should help a lot. If it doesn't, then you're probably crooked somehow (most likely at the shoulders) and should work on going straighter back. Good luck.

Figuresk8_katie
06-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone!

I'm comfortable enough with the layback to put my arms behind me. It just never seems to hit an exact center, therefore never allowing me to hold it was long as I would like.

Thanks for the tip on keep my shoulders straight. Anymore input would be much appreciated!

(also...wish me luck on my quickstep and samba tomorrow :roll: :?? lol)

-katie

crayonskater
06-24-2005, 08:09 AM
good luck!

And I had a question about the layback, too -- I'm about six zillion years from ever being able to do one, but they're my favorite spin to watch.

So... are there off-ice exercises you can do to learn the position and gain the strength and flexibility?

(I figure if I learn the position, by the time I learn it I might have the skating skillz. ;) )

florence
06-24-2005, 09:12 AM
Hi!

for off-ice practice my coach used to teel me to stay in front of a wall and to stay with my bust on it and to raise a little my right leg keeping the knee on the wall..then to lean my bust back still keeping part of my body and my knee on the wall..she said that this was the right position for the layback.

this isn't really my best spin and for trying to make it more simple I put my arms in a circle over my head and I keep looking at them, it usually give me more balance..

I hope this all make any sense :D sorry for my english eheh :lol:

flo
06-24-2005, 09:12 AM
hi crayon,
One of the things you can do is at the boards. Face the boards and put the skating foot right into the boards, so the toepic touches. Hold on and push your hips forward until they touch the boards, and extend your free foot back in the layback leg position. Lift your upper body (like extending a crinkle straw) and lay back. This shows you how far forward your hips need to be to balance the wt of your head and extended leg.

You can also try this at the back of a bench, or somewhere you can get flat against while holding on for balance. I also like to roll over an excercise ball.

crayonskater
06-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Oh, I get it. So the main thing is to have something to lean against to keep your hips and legs in line.

Thanks!

florence
06-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Oh, I get it. So the main thing is to have something to lean against to keep your hips and legs in line.

Yes ;) ;)

Figuresk8_katie
07-06-2005, 10:20 AM
Hey guys!

So I didn't post right away, but I'm finished my dance tests. I failed the Quickstep AGAIN! But I got my Silver Samba on my first try! I was rather impressed :P As for my layback, I think it's getting better. I think I might borrow a video camera so I can get it on film (scary thought... :?? ) I also have a few other elements I want to get on tape just to help me perfect them. Anyway, thanks for all your help guys!

Next test day I'll post another CRY FOR HELP! lol My coach tells me that at the moment I'm going to be testing both my Silver AND Gold Interpretive, Quickstep AGAIN, and Viennese. um...AAHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Wish me luck! I'll post again once test day's nearer!

-Katie

Mrs Redboots
07-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Hey guys!

So I didn't post right away, but I'm finished my dance tests. I failed the Quickstep AGAIN! But I got my Silver Samba on my first try! I was rather impressed :P As for my layback, I think it's getting better. I think I might borrow a video camera so I can get it on film (scary thought... :?? ) I also have a few other elements I want to get on tape just to help me perfect them. Anyway, thanks for all your help guys!Well done, Katie! I don't yet do the Silver Samba or the Quickstep, although I do skate "dumbed-down" versions of both of them (recreational dances here), so I know something of how hard they are. And yes, do borrow a video camera, you can learn a lot!

Next test day I'll post another CRY FOR HELP! lol My coach tells me that at the moment I'm going to be testing both my Silver AND Gold Interpretive, Quickstep AGAIN, and Viennese. um...AAHHHHHHHHH!!!!Wow... that is a handful. But I'm sure you'll do it just fine. Have never dared try the Viennese yet - just skate round doing chasses & swing rolls while the music is being played, as it looks so hard!

CanAmSk8ter
07-06-2005, 03:07 PM
Well, good job on the Samba! Sorry about the Quickstep. I'm competing the Quick and the Viennese this summer, so I can sympathize. I haven't learned the Samba yet, but I've watched my coach skate it with a couple of his other students and it looks like fun, but hard! I have a ways to go before I'm ready to test those dances, but I'd like to be starting to test my Golds in eighteen months or so. Gotta pass my Pre-Golds first!

Figuresk8_katie
07-07-2005, 09:55 AM
thanks for all your support guys!

kayskate
07-15-2005, 08:04 AM
Layback:
A deep knee bend entering the spin is essential to create speed. I do not center the spin first w/ the free leg in front. I leave it to the side. Once centered, I lean back. This naturally pushes the leg behind my body. Fold your arms over your chest at first to prevent being thrown off balance. Don't try to focus on anything. Relax your eyes. Try to practice attitudes first before leaning back to get your speed, center and pose. This is a great spin. Enjoy the ride.

Kay

Figuresk8_katie
07-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Hi all! It's me again!

Well as promised, test day is nearer so I'm posting again!

So test day is next Friday (July 22). My coach decided to only test the Viennese this test day, which I don't mind in the least! Quickstep isn't one of my favourites by any means. I really like the Viennese though!! As for my interpretives, I'll still be testing Silver & Gold. They now evaluate silver and gold at the same time instead of skating the interpretive twice, which I like. Anyway, I'll be testing in the afternoon so in a week's time by 2 o'clock it'll all be over! Wish me luck! Any tips on what evaluators look for in Viennese?

luna_skater
07-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Watch your timing on the runs! And really try to get that lilting, waltz action. Even though the Viennese was the only dance I ever had to re-try, I really liked it!

CanAmSk8ter
07-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Timing! Since there aren't any real highlight steps like the choctaw in the Quick or, say, the breakout in the Paso, they're going to look for smoothness, depth, and accurate timing. I really like the Viennese :)

Figuresk8_katie
07-25-2005, 04:50 PM
YAY!!

Hi everyone!

So in response to my most recent post, about this past Friday's test day...

I tested my Silver and Gold interpretive first and then later in the day I tested my Viennese. I passed both interpretives!!! So I'm officially a "single gold skater"!!!!!!!! I got my Viennese, too!!! 2 more Gold dances left!

I'll keep you posted. Next test day is August 12. I don't know what i'll be testing then. I'll let you all know!

Mrs Redboots
07-26-2005, 08:24 AM
Who-hooo! Congratulations!