View Full Version : Camel Spins

*JennaD*
06-20-2005, 12:39 PM
Hey

I've been working on my camel a lot lately, and I'm having a lot of trouble actually spinning. I always end up going around in a big circle (in the camel posistion though)! My coach always tells me to swing my arms around, but I do and nothing happens :roll: . Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!!

-Jenna

Figuresk8_katie
06-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Hi

Well...the first thing to keep in mind when doing ANY spin is to stay centered. All spins can be centered by pressing on the ball of your foot, just behind your toes. No matter what spin you're doing, centering it will prevent you from "going around in circles" as you mentioned you did. Now, for the camel in particular, you have to step into the spin with your spinning knee slightly bent for a moment. Once you've begun to push on the ball of your foot, straighen your leg a bit and continue to hold the free leg straight behind you. Keep your arms at equal heights to prevent losing your center.
Hopefully that helps. GOOD LUCK!

techskater
06-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Sweep the table clean with the leading arm when entering the camel

singerskates
06-23-2005, 10:25 AM
Sweep the table clean with the leading arm when entering the camel
What does that mean in English?

I've barely got my camel before having to stop skating to heal up but when I get back I want to bump it up from barely 2 revs to 6 revs. Advice?

Brigitte

Casey
06-23-2005, 12:02 PM
What does that mean in English?
You don't take an invisible table with you when you skate? They're quite useful, and come with adjustable height and size so that you can use them for all different purposes...and since they're made so light, and made to be attracted like magnets to the skater, it's always there when you need it!

It's a nice level surface parallel to the ice that you can use to push down on, rest your arms on, sweep an arm across, or push in front of you. I'm sure there are other uses...