View Full Version : HELP!!!! i'm desparate for an answer!!!!

figuresktr17
06-19-2005, 08:39 PM
:?: what's the difference between straight-cut toe picks and cross-cut toe picks? i'm ordering new blades and i dont know which 1 to get

plz sumbody respond asap

thnx ;)

Cactus Bill
06-19-2005, 08:52 PM
Basically this. A straight-cut toepick is the same profile from left to right (or right to left). If you are familiar with saw termonology, the teeth have no "set" so that as you look at them in profile you don't see any thing other than the profile of the teeth.

Cross-cut toepicks have a "set" or the profile will show an offset from left to right (or the other way). So as you look at these in profile you can see the offset of the edge of the pick on the other face of the blade.

Looking straight at the toepicks from in front of the blade, (if it were a train, you would be in trouble!) the straight-cut picks go across the blade at a 90 degree angle (straight across), while the cross-cut pick would go across the blade at some other angle, they would slant either up or down.

I understand (and someone correct me if I'm wrong on this) that the cross-cut is used in more aggressive picks and should give a better grip on the ice than the straight-cut ones. And again, they might not...

I suspect that it really boils down to personal preference.

figuresktr17
06-19-2005, 09:41 PM
thnx soooooooo much for clarifying that 4 me cactus bill although i welcome anymore insight into this problem.

thnx everybody!!! ;)

DRENDAVN
06-19-2005, 10:45 PM
I think Bill has described it well. I frankly doubt the toepick design on its own would matter much to any of us here. Perhaps if you were at the level of worrying about getting a superb 4lutz, 3toe takeoff. I would think most other actual blade characteristics would be more important to the selection process. Some medium and high-level blades have straight teeth and some have cross-cut but I can't think of any examples right now.

Dave D.

Casey
06-19-2005, 11:27 PM
My blades have cross-cut toepicks, and I love them! But maybe it's just because they're bigger than my previous toepicks (which were straight cut). I think they just get a little better grip on the ice like Bill said.