View Full Version : testing in 4 days... eeek!!! (Preliminary Elements, SkateCanada)

AuroraBorealis
06-19-2005, 03:33 PM
Just 4 days (and 2 practices) left till my first ever skating test, which will be in Preliminary Elements. Not sure if I'm getting nervous yet... I sooo hope I can pass...

Does anyone know the order of elements in Preliminary Elements Skate Canada test?
I know I can ask my coach, but that's too long to wait...
I know it's stroking, 2 forward spirals (both legs), spins (upright, backspin, camel, sit), jumps (bunny hop, salchow, loop, flip) and a jump combination (toeloop-toeloop), but what order do they come in?! And there is 11 elements in total, so am I missing something?

I'm worried about my stroking - it can get messy sometimes, my hands just refuse to stay stable! And I know that no matter how I do on the elements, I won't pass the test unless I pass stroking...
My coach says that it pretty much depends on whether it's my day or not. If it is, I'll do fine. If not, I'll mess up everything.
With spins, my camel is the worst, both in terms of positions and in terms of the number of revolution. With jumps, anything can happen. Like falling flat on my face on bunny hop (it's such an akward move and I hate it!), free leg going wild on my salchow, dipping too far forward on my flip, and not taking off at all on the loop).

So I guess the only thing I'm feeling relatively confident about are the spirals!

(gah - just had to rant a bit...)

ferelu
06-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Dont worry, once you're on the ice, you won't even notice that you're doing a test.

You start with the forward strocking, you pick the direction (1), then you have the backward strocking (2), again you pick the direction.
Next it's jumps, bunny hop (3), waltz jump (4), salchow (5), flip (6), loop (7) and then the combo toe-toe (8).
Then you have your spins, scratch (9), backspin (10), sit (11) and camel (12).
Then you conclude with your spirals, when I did my test, I just had to do the spirals, it wasnt important which one was first. So one on the left (13) and one of the right (14).

*JennaD*
06-19-2005, 03:55 PM
The only freestyle test I've done is Preliminary Elements, and it really isn't that bad~ hehe my coach won't let me test my program because I still skate too slowly :roll:

Don't worry about your test, if you mess up on something you are allowed 4 re-skates (not of the same element, does that make sense? lol). I messed up on my camel, scratch spin, flip and loop, and I was allowed to re-skate all of them once, which was good because I passed! lol Also, you only need 12/14 elements to pass so its not a big deal if you mess up two elements.

Good luck on your test! I'm sure you'll do great!~

AuroraBorealis
06-19-2005, 03:55 PM
Ah, it was the waltz jump I forgot about. :) Thanks for the order of the elements! :) :) :) Much appreciated.

I'm going to practice all the elements in this order during my upcoming sessions. :)

flying~camel
06-19-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm also testing (Bronzes moves) this week on Thursday, then I'm competing in Bronze free on Saturday!

Good luck to you! :)

AuroraBorealis
06-19-2005, 04:05 PM
Another problem is what to wear... I absolutely don't have anything appropriate... went through a few things with my coach, she would ask "do you have X?" and every time, my answer would be no... And she said that what I usually wear for skating session isn't the greatest idea, maybe except for the pants (which I'm afraid will fall apart any minute, they're VERY old and worn out...)

Part of the problem is my recent weight gain (nothing fits :cry:), but I never had any sports clothing anyway. Don't want to buy anything new right now when I'm 20 lbs heavier than normally because I'm working hard on losing weight and don't want new stuff that would be too large in a few weeks/months.

So I'm probably going to be testing in my coache's sweater... :oops:

slusher
06-19-2005, 04:53 PM
Wear a skirt. I just believe that judges appreciate the effort.

Buy a pair of skating tights and a wrap skirt. Wear in this order: undies, tights, your best bathing suit, wrap skirt and a sweater. The bathing suit is both the panty for the skirt and it also has the advantage of having mucho lycra to hold all the jiggly bits. All of this is adjustable for weight gain up and down, hopefully down.

I'm just kind of surprised that your first test ever is preliminary elements. Most everyone I know does a couple of dance tests before starting on the "out-there-all-alone" tests.

I do know from watching many of these tests that if you don't pass the stroking, the test stops at that point, so work on your stroking!!!!! Good luck.

Layback
06-19-2005, 05:30 PM
As a primary evaluator, I have never stopped the test after the stroking if the candidate did not pass it. We keep going and more often than not the nervousness subsides and the elements become more confident as things move along. personally i think they should start with the field movements because it would help you get your feet under you before you go out to do those jumps...i know as a skater i would have preferred it that way!

i would not be too too concerned about what you wear. look presentable. i have tested boys, girls, and adult skaters--you see all types of outfits. i remember one boy who forgot his usual skating pants and had to wear his old ones that were a little too short (he had grown several inches since the year before)...he was a bit selfconscious but he did fine. most adults wear a fleece and warmup pants or a skirt. it is best if hair and skates are neat because then these dont distract you from the task at hand.

it would be great if you can find out if you are being tested by yourself or if you will be alternating skating elements with another skater. if you are in the latter situation then you will have a little extra warmup time between elements, otherwise you will probably just go through all of them boom boom boom (time is tight!). feel free to take a breather, dont rush anything. since this is the first test i try my best to make sure everything is done at a reasonable pace so that the skater doesnt feel rushed.
if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. i can tell you more about standards, etc.
good luck!!!! ;)

Mrs Redboots
06-20-2005, 05:02 AM
Good luck! Do you get a re-skate of any element if the judge thinks that you probably could do it, but only missed it due to nerves?

Here, the judge can (and often does) ask you to redo any and every element at least twice, and then at the end of the test may ask you to reskate up to two elements if they reckon they could pass you if you can just do them a fraction better. You can warm-up the elements again at this stage if you need to (and if you do it really well in the warm-up and badly in the test, the judge will probably take the warm-up - judges are nice like that!). But your system may be, and probably is, different.

As for what to wear, if your bathing suit doesn't match your wrap skirt, large black control-front underpants have much the same effect, both keeping tights up and tummy in. But I've seen people pass their first test wearing practice-kit - the judge is looking to see whether you skate to standard, not whether you are dressed up like a dish of fish!

Best of luck, and we'll be waiting to hear how you do!

AuroraBorealis
06-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Thank you for all the hints and tips. :)

I had a great session yesterday, so I'm feeling much more confident. And yes, I will be allowed some reskates. Hopefully it goes well. :)
And hopefully I'll figure something out with clothes. :)

Oh yes, and Preliminary Skills is my first test ever because I'm not doing dance. Tried it, hated it. Always will. My coach and club are ok with it. I'm an adult after all. And I don't intend to compete and/or coach ever, for me skating is just something I do for myself - and just myself. And I want to enjoy it. :)

skaternum
06-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Wear a skirt. I just believe that judges appreciate the effort.I agree completely!

Wear in this order: undies, tights, your best bathing suit, wrap skirt and a sweater. The bathing suit is both the panty for the skirt ...Please, please, please, I beg of you ... do NOT wear underwear under your tights & bathing suit/leotard!!! There is nothing uglier than a strip of panty hanging out, and it WILL hang out, no matter how well you think it's tucked up. And besides, just how many layers of fabric do you think you need between you and the outside world? Isn't 2 or 3 enough? ;)

Melzorina
06-20-2005, 10:14 AM
But if she wears a skirt over the top of the bathing suit/leotard, then nobody will notice...

Mrs Redboots
06-20-2005, 11:32 AM
But if she wears a skirt over the top of the bathing suit/leotard, then nobody will notice...Skirts fly up, Mel! Especially when jumping and spinning.

Actually, Skaternum, in British English, "underwear" doesn't necessarily imply pants - it can mean one's bra, too, or even a vest or crop. And it does depend on the type of knickers - if you favour the "full brief" types (surely an oxymoron if ever there was one?) then they can show, but "bikinis" and "tangas" don't. Nor thongs, if you can bear them (I can't - they always make my coccyx hurt!). But something covering the "business area" is quite sensible although I agree unnecessary with a bathing costume.

luna_skater
06-20-2005, 11:44 AM
I agree completely!

Please, please, please, I beg of you ... do NOT wear underwear under your tights & bathing suit/leotard!!! There is nothing uglier than a strip of panty hanging out, and it WILL hang out, no matter how well you think it's tucked up. And besides, just how many layers of fabric do you think you need between you and the outside world? Isn't 2 or 3 enough? ;)

It's perfectly fine to wear underwear, if you have the right cut. I've been competing for 15 years, and have ALWAYS worn underwear under my competition dresses...and video and photos can prove that mine has never stuck out. If you are going to wear underwear, just keep the following things in mind:

Be careful with cut. Wear a thong, bikini briefs, or high-cut. I hate thongs, but have worn them in the past and just sucked it up for the very few minutes I'm on the ice.
Be careful with colour. DON'T wear white! Wear a nude, or a dark colour if you have a dark body-suit.
"Hike them up!" If you're not wearing a thong, do find a cut that doesn't have toooo much material, and once you have your tights on and dress halfway up, reach down there, hike up the legs and rear a bit, and you will be fine. The lycra of the tights and body suit will hold it in place.

skaternum
06-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Yes, thongs & tangas are not usually visible, but ... um ... what's the point? If you basically just have a string between your legs, what's the point in wearing anything under the thick skating tights?? You can buy tights with a cotton crotch if you want breathability. And unless you're at an all day on-ice camp, you're not going to be in them for very long. So again, what's the point? I don't get it.

And lemme tell you that me and my fashion police have seen more underwear hanging out from people who swear their underwear doesn't hang out! :P

jenlyon60
06-20-2005, 11:56 AM
All these for those of the female persuasion....

If you are going to wear (under)pants under your leo or dress trunks... please get someone to do a "final check" that nothing is showing ... that line of extra fabic is very noticeable and distracting. (personally I can't imagine NOT going commando with tights, but each to their own)

Re the bra... if you're wearing a dress or leo with a slightly low back (not low enough to NOT wear a bra), double-check to make sure that the bra strap is going to stay covered. If it's doubtful, get someone to pin the straps and the bra strap so that they do stay covered. Again... distracting.

Finally, for those who choose to go without the bra... please make sure the dress or leo has a front liner or shelf bra. If it doesn't, a couple of band-aids or strips of medical tape strategically placed are useful.

Mel On Ice
06-20-2005, 12:12 PM
I'm also testing (Bronzes moves) this week on Thursday, then I'm competing in Bronze free on Saturday!

Good luck to you! :)

and you're gonna be AWESOME.

Melissa, who is competing against f~c on Saturday...

slusher
06-20-2005, 05:41 PM
As a primary evaluator, I have never stopped the test after the stroking if the candidate did not pass it.

I want you as an evaluator. :)

Layback
06-20-2005, 06:36 PM
I want you as an evaluator. :)

LOL ok, just come and test at an EOS club and you might get your wish! ;)

seriously, most people will pass the stroking on the prelim. test even if they have to reskate it. i hope that if any of you have to reskate the evaluator is very specific about what they want to see corrected during the reskate. as long as there is clear improvement in the required areas i will pass the reskated stroking.
my pet peeve is when skaters dont seem to know what the stroking exercises entail...ie. they have never practiced the stroking in their life. THEN we have problems because the last thing you need on top of all the worries and stress of the test and other elements is to have to learn something you dont know and do it up to test standard in just a few minutes. however, this doesnt seem to be the case here.
good luck AB! you're going to be great!

Layback
06-20-2005, 06:43 PM
i would also like to add that testing has really evolved since the "olden days" when skater's were asked to leave the ice when testing figures if they received a failing mark on the first figure skated (it never happened to me because i just started to skate when the old marking system was phased out and the new evaluation system was phased in). remember that the tests are not there for judges to fail skaters, they are there so that skaters gain recognition for achieving certain benchmarks in the sport. they should be a learning experience and hopefully you all are made to feel comfortable when taking your tests.

AuroraBorealis
06-22-2005, 08:01 AM
Thank you all yet again. :)

I had another practice yesterday, and at first it was going so so. But during my lesson, my coach kept saying "I wish test day was today!" That's how I felt on Sunday, myself! :lol:
Anyway, we worked on a few small fixes (like holding my strokes longer - I always forget!). It usually takes me a bit to warm up, so I'm glad there will be a 45-minute session before the test on Thursday.

Regarding clothes, I'll just wear black pants and my coach is going to lend me her sweater. Should be ok. :)

*IceDancer1419*
06-22-2005, 09:40 PM
Re: underwear... haha...

My coach made us take off our underwear for synchro and stuff, but you CAN get the "high cut" type that's not quite a "thong", and it works nicely...

And bras? I have a strapless one with clear straps... so teh straps aren't really showing for those dresses with small little straps. If the back's too low, I'd probably go without... but I can totally get away with that... :roll: ;)

*IceDancer1419*
06-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Oh, and good luck, by the way!!! I dont' know how the Canadian stuff works, but good luck! :)

singerskates
06-23-2005, 10:22 AM
Re: underwear... haha...

My coach made us take off our underwear for synchro and stuff, but you CAN get the "high cut" type that's not quite a "thong", and it works nicely...

And bras? I have a strapless one with clear straps... so teh straps aren't really showing for those dresses with small little straps. If the back's too low, I'd probably go without... but I can totally get away with that... :roll: ;)

There are now bras that have clear backs too. I will be buying one once I'm healthy again and back on the ice because not long after that I will be testing my prelim FS and my dress has a low back. You just have to do some searching. The only place I've seen the bras with clear straps and backs in lingerie store.

Brigitte

Mrs Redboots
06-23-2005, 01:40 PM
Of course, don't forget that what can show very badly when you're standing next to a skater waiting to go on doesn't show at all when you're out on the ice! Skater with flesh-coloured bra today that showed, but of course the judges couldn't see anything!

Basically, if you prefer to wear something next to your skin, then do so, but make sure it doesn't show. But don't rely on someone standing 6 inches away from you - make them stand where the judges are, and you go out into the middle of the rink.....

And always have a dress-rehearsal in the outfit & underwear you're going to have on.

Aurora, best of luck. It's tomorrow, isn't it? We're longing to hear how you get on.

AuroraBorealis
06-25-2005, 10:38 PM
Hello Everyone, :)

I had my test on Thursday (June 24th) and... I passed!!!!

Sorry for not checking in earlier - I didn't get home until late on Thursday and Friday was a long, exhausting day.
The test went reasonably well, and I passed all the elements. I didn't skate up to my potential and messed up a few things, but I wasn't too upset about that because it was my first time testing. And I discovered that the ice gets very slippery when you're nervous!!! :lol:

I did get quite nervous, but the process was quite funny in retrospect. There was a shortened skating session before the tests started, which I used to practice all the elements. Loop, salchow and camel spin were giving me problems, but my coach helped me fix the issues. When the session was ending, I decided to try those 3 again, fell four times on the salchow and then they told us to get off the ice.

My test wasn't until 20-25 minutes later, so I changed into the stuff my coach brought me, sat in the stands right by the door leading to the ice and watched the girls who were testing Junior Bronze. Suddenly all those skating moms were running around - and it turned out they were looking for me. They only know me by my first name there because I've never tested or competed, and it is spelled in an unusual way, so nobody knew who was the next person on the list. And the few who know I was testing next (without knowing my name) didn't know where I was. So that was quite amusing. :)

I got on the ice for the warmup, and again fell two or three times on the salchow. At this point my coach said we'd come back to it. I did all the other moves okay and eventually did land the sal.

Suddenly, the test started. Stroking was ok, but then I tried to do the bunny hop off the wrong foot (I hate hate hate bunny hops!). Fortunately the judge let me try it again right away, and not at the end. The rest of the jumps weren't too bad, but then I somehow messed up the first spin. Again, the judge let me try again right away. This time it worked, but when I saw the tracings I got scared that she'd fail me - the spin went like 10 feet across. A similar thing happened with my sit, which is a shame because those are my best spins and I usually center them very well. Back spin went very well, and the judge was impressed - she said that usually people mess up this one, but it was my best. Well, I guess that was in comparison with my other 2 spins.
I nearly fell out of the camel and only managed one revolution, I think, but it passed as well.

I *should* have failed the spirals though! I always get confused with them and don't know which one is "right spiral" and which one is "left spiral" - my coach usually just says "forward spiral, lifting up your left leg." So I wasn't sure what the judge asked me to do. Tried asking my coach, but it didn't work,so I circled around a bit. Then I thought I'd do my "better leg" spiral. Finished, came back to the boards, and saw my coach making signs that it was the wrong one. :oops: But the judge just told me to do the other leg and passed both of them. :)

The judge's comments are funny - the pattern, that is:
bunny hop - satisfactory - try to get more height
waltz - good - good height
salchow - satisfactory - try to get more height
flip - good - good height
loop - satisfactory - try to get more height

So yes, that's how my test went. :) Sorry for rambling on and on! I guess the first time is always an experience! :) :bow: :lol:
I'm thinking I might try Preliminary Free Skating later this summer... maybe... putting a program together eeek... if I do, you'll be hearing about it :)

Thank you again for all the help, hints and suggestions! :)

Casey
06-26-2005, 01:33 AM
congratulations!!!

Mrs Redboots
06-26-2005, 07:04 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!
PS When my husband tested his Level 3 Dance moves, the judge specifically told him which one to do first - so he only went and did the other one, didn't he?! However, the judge still passed him.....

Layback
06-26-2005, 09:11 AM
awesome work! we are all so proud of you. it takes a lot of nerve to take those tests...i always think that the freeskate one is the most nervewracking because you are upclose and personal with the judge. it sounds like she made you feel really comfortable during the test. and dont worry about doing spirals on the wrong foot, etc...it happens all the time!
have a great summer!

samba
06-26-2005, 09:22 AM
BRILLIANT - WELL DONE!!:bow: :bow: :bow:

In one of mine I had to be reminded to do my spiral, probably a subconscious mistake as my spirals are awful, but managed to pass.

slusher
06-26-2005, 10:48 AM
COGNRATULATIONS!!!!

dbny
06-26-2005, 12:09 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!

That green is for envy :lol:

*IceDancer1419*
06-26-2005, 02:36 PM
Yay! :) Congratulations on your pass! That's wonderful. :)