View Full Version : My Broken Wrist: The Next Chapter

montanarose
06-17-2005, 10:14 AM
[Quick recap: I posted here 3 weeks ago after falling and injuring my wrist on backward power perimeter crossovers. Many of you folks urged me to get it x-rayed, which I did; it was indeed broken and I've been in a cast since then.]

I'm free! Well, almost . . .

I went in yesterday to have my cast removed and my wrist x-rayed. I was sure I'd have to have it re-cast since it had only been three weeks and the doc had initially predicted a four-week minimum. But when he reviewed the x-rays he said it was healing well enough that he'd rather put me in a wrist brace IF I promised him not to skate -- or, more specifically, not to fall :lol: -- for another three weeks. He said most docs probably would re-cast it, but that I'd be really stiff by the time I came out of it; he preferred to put me in a brace and have me start PT/rehab right away.

So now I have this wonderful light brace and the best part is that I CAN REMOVE IT TO TAKE A SHOWER AND WASH MY HAIR!!! And I can pretty much do anything I want, other than falling or otherwise bearing weight on it (so no push-ups, I guess).

Actually, there's another best part: when he told me that it was healing nicely after only three weeks, he said he'd just seen a 55-year-old man at twelve weeks post-fracture (clavicle, in his case) who wasn't healing as well. He told me that I was "doing really good for a 58-year-old post-menopausal woman." I think this is what's known as a "back-handed compliment" but I'll take it nonetheless.

Unfortunately I can't begin rehab for another two weeks, so I guess I'll just try to move it around as much as I can without pain to try and keep it from stiffening up. I'm really bummed about not skating for so long, though. I'm going to an adult skating camp the first week of August and I had had visions of making major progress, not to mention being in great skating shape, by that time. Ah well, talk about pride goeth-ing before a fall, quite literally :oops:.

Thanks again for all the great advice I got here -- you guys are awesome! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Cheers,
Ellen

dbny
06-17-2005, 10:32 AM
That's fantastic news! Keep up the good work ;)

Isk8NYC
06-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Congrats! Have a nice warm soak in epsom salts -- it'll make some of the stiffness go away. Here's to no potholes on the road to full recovery!

NickiT
06-17-2005, 11:06 AM
That's great news! Keep up with the physio and you'll be back to normal in no time at all!

Nicki

TashaKat
06-17-2005, 02:01 PM
That's great news :)

Good luck with the rehab (I didn't bother :oops: ).

skateflo
06-18-2005, 04:47 AM
What wonderful news!!! As for the doc's back-handed compliment, I think some are beginning to realize that exercise, including skating, really does help post-menopausal women! Many were taught we all were just a bag of brittle bones, but now they are seeing in their own practices that our bones can be great! I'm betting he will use you as an example to other patients to keep up exercising!

Didn't it feel soooo great to take that shower and wash your hair!? You still have many weeks before the adult camp - and week by week you will surely regain your feel of the ice, so by then you will be participating even if not quite to the level you had hoped for this year. There is always some pearl to glean and goals to set for next year. And we do want a full report of this adult camp!