View Full Version : Practice tips: Back edges

Casey
06-17-2005, 05:25 AM
Hey guys, I am taking ISI tests on Monday, and if I can get my back edges better then I stand a chance of passing one level higher.

Any advice for working on improving the control/stability of these? I have a really hard time doing them consistantly at all.

Also for all edges, including forward ones, the successive edges are easier and better than the first one from a T-stop. However, I asked and my coach said that the first edge must be done from a stop, not a glide.

phoenix
06-17-2005, 05:50 AM
for backward edges---turn your sternum toward the inside of the circle, which will position your shoulders/arms as if you're hugging the circle, and HOLD them that way all the way around the lobe. If you let your shoulders spin around it will pull you off balance.

For getting started on the first fwd edge, really bend your knees & give a good strong smooth push into it. Think big plie'.

Good luck!

Anita18
06-17-2005, 01:53 PM
Yeah that first lobe always ends up waaay smaller than the rest, doesn't it? :P My forward ones have improved very much in this area, but backward ones are harder to control cause I can't see my path as well. Just takes a lot of practice. My forward lobes are HUGE, LOL, and my backward lobes are like squished half-ellipses. Sigh...

I've never tested backward edges, but an ice dancer taught me the proper positions for them (her coach is an ice dancer who went to senior nationals):

Backward outsides:
You should be facing your path before you push off, away from the wall. Bend your knees and push off smoothly.
When you first push off, your shoulders and arms face the inside of the circle and your free leg is in front of the skating leg.
As you approach the wide point of the lobe, switch the arm/shoulder position so that they face the outside of the circle, and the free leg should be moved behind the skating leg. This switching should not be fast, but smooth and sure.
When you reach the end of the lobe, switch feet and resume the first position...and so on.

Backward insides:
You should be facing away from your path, towards the wall when you push off.
When you first push off, shoulders and arms should face outside of the cricle and your free leg is in front of the skating leg.
As you approach the wide point of the lobe, switch the arm/shoulder position so they face the inside of the circle, and the free leg should now move behind the skating leg.
When you reach the end of the lobe, switch feet and resume the first position.

It takes practice, of course, especially the backward insides. Sometimes it's fun if I just take a glide and see how long I can hold a particular edge.

icedancer2
06-17-2005, 03:50 PM
Casey --

Think about controlling the flow of the lobe with your free leg and free foot.

Can't explain it. It's all about the free-leg.