View Full Version : GYM Exercises For Skating

rf3ray
06-16-2005, 07:16 PM
Hey Guys, I got like given a Complimentary 1 Week Free Pass to a Gym, and just wondering what you guys do, for OFF Ice training at the GYM

Sweet16*skater
06-16-2005, 09:19 PM
I would really like to know too and what kind of a program we skaters should be setting up for the summer other than the off ice training at our local arenas.
Sweet16*

sunskater
06-17-2005, 12:12 AM
Take pilates classes if your gym offers them. The exercises will help you with core stability and strength - a great benefit for jumps. Also incorporate weight lifting into your workout. The amount of weight and the # of reps should depend on your age and level, and it would be best to consult with a trainer before using weights. Do cardio as well: bicycle, treadmill, row machine, etc. I find running the most beneficial for me because it really helps my endurance and also builds lean muscle w/out bulking up. I personally think its crucial for skaters to be participate in some type of strength/conditioning program, or at least workout at a gym weekly. The benefits are tremendous and it really does help with your on ice skating. Good Luck.

Skate@Delaware
06-17-2005, 11:13 AM
We do a lot of that stuff, plus plyometrics (jumping over cones, off/on boxes etc), speed drills (which are killer, but i beat my daughter last time :lol: ). Running for endurance, cardio, resistance, stability ball exercises, etc. Our classes are taught by a trainer with a B.S. who is also a skating coach.

A typical workout is:
warmup
15 minutes of cardio on one machine (treadmill, rower, tread climber, stair stepper, slide board, or power skater, mini-trampoline) or jumprope drills then
15 minutes on another machine
then 15 minutes of resistance exercises or 15 minutes of speed drills
cooldown stretching
every 3 weeks we do a one-mile timed run to benchmark our improvement....

flying~camel
06-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Here's what I do at the gym:

30-45 mins of interval training on the ellyptical then 3 circuits of 30 reps (varying weights) each on these weight machines: inner thighs, outer thighs, shoulder press, gluteals & ab cruncher.

It's also important to make sure you are sufficiently hydrated while working out.

dooobedooo
06-17-2005, 12:05 PM
They should give you an introductory program, included in the cost. Get the best trainer in the gym, if you can.

When I got an introductory program, I specified to the trainer that I wanted a workout that would be good for (adult) skating, and would take about an hour. I wanted to work for good cardio, core strength and flexibility. I was dead lucky to get the best trainer in the gym. He listed out the activities on a worksheet so that I could tick them off, together with the intensity level (measurable on the machine). He also supervised me for a couple of sessions to check body positions etc. Obviously, your intensity levels will be different from mine, but I started off with:

Phase 1 - cardio, stretches, weights
- stationary bike, 6 minutes
- stretches, as specified by trainer, for warming up, including shoulders, gluteals, hamstrings etc
- sit ups, using abdominal curving thingy, or swiss ball, or off lower end of sloping bench (you can do these lying on your back or side, they are great for core strength)
- leg raises, with ankle weights, trainer will specify number of repetitions.
- lateral pulldown machine (arms, shoulders, back), weights specified by trainer, don't overdo the weights as you want strength not bulk - I started with 15 Kg, but moved up to about 25 Kg fairly quickly. Your trainer will specify number of repetitions - mine specified 3 lots of 20, with rest in between.

Phase 2 - cardio, stretches, weights
- running machine (treadmill), all uphill gradient (good for knees), walking and jogging, 6 minutes
- more stretches, including skating specific stretches (eg. groin stretches for turnout and stretches for spirals)
- more sit ups
- leg weights machine (lift roller by swinging thigh back)

Phase 3 - cardio, stretches
- rowing machine (my favourite cardio), 4 minutes
- stretches, as specified by trainer, for warming down (don't forget to stretch your neck!)

Within 3 months I had doubled all my cardio times and intensity, and also increased the weights.

PS. Flying camel is dead right, you need to drink plenty of water. Also, don't overtrain, you need a day off occasionally.