View Full Version : split spirals

figure_skater
06-16-2005, 06:46 PM
i REALLY want to be able to do one!!!!!!!!!!!!! im flexible enough just not strong enough...... so does anyone have advice, suggestions, tips, workout ideas or anything that could help me????? :D ;) thanx

kayskate
06-17-2005, 08:41 PM
Seems this is similar to being able to do a split jump. For those who can do the splits on the floor or barre, we are doing the splits w/ gravity doing most of the work. It requires little strength; mostly flexibility. Doing a split jump (and probably a spiral) requires the strength in the legs (as well as flexibility) to do the splits *against* the force of gravity. The muscles must be able to lift the legs quickly into the pose.

Myself, since I am off-ice for summer, I am working split strength on a trampoline. I have a big one in my backyard. I do split jumps of all sorts on it. It's a great aerobic workout and in just few wks, I can do a Russian split on the trampoline. I am also working on a pike, stags, box splits, regular splits, splits in a 1/2 turn and whatever else I can think of.

Kay