View Full Version : Age vs. years of skating

kunduchaiko
06-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Lives to skate
Registered User Join Date: Mar 2005

Beating younger skaters

I am proof that at 47 years old, you can compete with the 25 year olds. I won Championship Gold Men's against many younger competitors. You just need to practice hard and train to your full potential.

When competing in Championship Gold or Masters you hve to be prepared for anything! Age shouldn't matter. Good skating is recognized at any age! Although more seasoned veterans have things that younger competitors don't have, like better edeges and more advanced choreogrpahy. The new COP should favor the well-rounded skaters. Age will just give them an advantage if they use all the other tools to enhance their program.

I really think that my "experience" gave me an advantage over the young 'uns who all seemd a little nervous and worried about the "old man" in the group!

I thrive on competition and seem to rise to the occassion. I love to compete with the best and hope it holds the event to a higher standard.

Burton Powley 2005 Adult Gold Men's Champion.

Of course age doesn't matter in Adult skating. Someone sent me the program from nationals and I think that it said that Lives to skate has been skating for like, 50 years.. of course he would be able to beat younger skaters who have only been skating for 5 or 6 years or maybe a little longer which is the norm at the championship gold level. Even if an adult skater practices hard and trains to their full potential, it is impossible to compete against a skater who has been skating forever. It's like taking candy from a baby - really.

NoVa Sk8r
06-16-2005, 03:09 PM
I don't get it... are we STILL dwelling on the Burton "scandal" from AN? He won, fair and square (all but one first-place ordinal). He's gold level and did not max out at gold level. Gosh, let it go already. :roll:

I also heard that he was super nice at Mountain Cup, helping some skaters in their pracrices/warmups.

Terri C
06-16-2005, 08:25 PM
I second NoVa's post on this:

CAN WE JUST ALL MOVE ON AND GET READY FOR NEXT SEASON!!!???
Get over it already! :roll:

jazzpants
06-16-2005, 11:49 PM
Looks like another candidate thread for our moderator to lock... don't 'ya think? ;) :twisted:

kunduchaiko: I highly suggest you leave Burt alone!!! You're not gonna get anything out of this if you continue on... and I suspect that if you're not careful, you may find yourself on the wrong end of the moderators on this board... :twisted:

Go skating or somethin'. It's good for you!!! :)

Casey
06-17-2005, 01:59 AM
Even if an adult skater practices hard and trains to their full potential, it is impossible to compete against a skater who has been skating forever.
Even if that were true, who cares? Why put down somebody just because they have put more years of hard work into something? I think Burton is an outanding person, and deserves any recognition he gets.

It's like taking candy from a baby - really.
No it's not. At all. :(

You sound like one of those bratty kids who gets his first job at the local small town hardware store, and get offended after 6 months that you aren't making as much as the guy who's been there since the beginning 20 years before.

Mrs Redboots
06-17-2005, 06:36 AM
I just want to say that Burton is a great skater and a very nice person. (Now can I have one of your nice flannels please, Burton???? ;))

All the same, it's true!

FrankR
06-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Hello all,

I agree wholeheartedly with what has been said so far. I don't think that Burton should be maligned for having the talent to skate as well as he does and the good fortune to be able to hone his abilities for as long as he has. If anything, all of us should look at the standard he has set and try to reach and possibly surpass that standard with our own hard work and dedication rather than try to chase him out of Gold level if he is not ready to move up. If we want adult skating to grow and evolve then we need someone to set a high standard and that is what Burton has done. There's my two cents. Use it as you wish. ;)

Frank

flippet
06-17-2005, 08:43 AM
I see no reason to bring any of this up again. Therefore, locking thread.

kunduchaiko, consider yourself warned.
~flippet