View Full Version : okay how do you post videos??

phoenix
06-15-2005, 02:20 PM
I just bought a digital camera that has a video capability! Not promising anything, but I'm taking it to the rink today to experiment. So IF I decide to share, how do you post the videos you've been posting??

Keep in mind I'm a technological idiot so keep it step by step and use small words!! :giveup:

Casey
06-15-2005, 03:18 PM
I just bought a digital camera that has a video capability! Not promising anything, but I'm taking it to the rink today to experiment. So IF I decide to share, how do you post the videos you've been posting??
(Note the last line of my signature ;) )

You need space on a website to store the videos, and then you can send links to them to anyone you want, or post them here on skatingforums. You can copy the files from your camera directly to the website with an FTP client (works very similarly to just copying around files on your own machine), or you can copy them off to your computer first and then up to the website later - however you prefer.

If you don't have any webspace, I happen to provide it, along with an email account with spam+virus filtering, free of charge to anyone who's a skater and wants it. You can get an idea of how FTP works by taking a look at this step-by-step guide I put together: http://help.seattleserver.com/smartftp.html
There's also a photo gallery included, so you can upload folders of pictures and they'll automatically become a thumbnail gallery like this one: http://sk8rland.com/users/kc/pictures/?archive=ice_skating

If you want an account, simply email, PM, or IM me the username and password you want (or I can generate a random password if you prefer), and I'll set it up for you (takes about 30 seconds).

phoenix
06-15-2005, 10:37 PM
LOL! Well, I had someone video me skating my program.......2.5 minutes....looks great, I managed to download it into my computer.....and it's 290 MB!! Hmmm, guess I need to play around with the settings to see if I can get it to be smaller... :lol:

Well, I can see this is going to be fun, anyways. Thanks for the info Casey. I do have a website so once I get a file that's a reasonable size I'll attack trying to link it. 8-)

Casey
06-16-2005, 03:02 AM
LOL! Well, I had someone video me skating my program.......2.5 minutes....looks great, I managed to download it into my computer.....and it's 290 MB!! Hmmm, guess I need to play around with the settings to see if I can get it to be smaller... :lol:

Well, I can see this is going to be fun, anyways. Thanks for the info Casey. I do have a website so once I get a file that's a reasonable size I'll attack trying to link it. 8-)

You're welcome to upload the 290MB file if you want - there's plenty of space available! I would actually quite enjoy seeing it at the full original quality. However, you will want to compress it to a smaller size (and quality, unfortunately) and put that version up too for the people who don't want to wait for 290MB to download... rf3ray knows something about that I think...I unfortunately don't. But if you ask around about video compression / quality reduction, you should be able to come up with something.

rf3ray - you reading this? Any advice?

phoenix
06-16-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks. I FINALLY(!!!!!) got my dress, it fits well enough to use, so I'm going to skate in it in the morning. If I can get coach to tape me, & if the skate goes well (!) I'll consider posting it. (does that sound iffy enough for you?!) lol

I'm realizing how very, very far I have to go & am feeling rather self conscious about sharing the inadequate skating......I'll think about it.......

aussieskater
06-16-2005, 07:05 PM
Please post it if you can - I for one would love to see the dress after all the sagas you've had with it. I'm sure you'll skate beautifully. You should be really proud of how far you've come, just like all the rest of us (I can remember back to when I was hanging on the wall), and marvel at what you can do now! Few if any of us are likely to head to the Olympics as a competitor, but we all have fun and take encouragement in what we've achieved to date. And we're healthier to boot.

rf3ray
06-16-2005, 07:13 PM
I'm on a Mac platform and the program that I use to compress only comes with FINAL CUT PRO its called COMPRESSOR 1.2 You could try to find a DIVX encoder or use QUICKTIME Pro if you can get your hands on it to recompress the file

Casey
06-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks. I FINALLY(!!!!!) got my dress, it fits well enough to use, so I'm going to skate in it in the morning. If I can get coach to tape me, & if the skate goes well (!) I'll consider posting it. (does that sound iffy enough for you?!) lol

I'm realizing how very, very far I have to go & am feeling rather self conscious about sharing the inadequate skating......I'll think about it.......

See if you can't set the quality to a lower setting on the camera - that will make the files smaller.

And hey, I still have a long ways to go too! But I think that seeing your videos definitely helps, and knowing that others are seeing your progress helps too! And the wonderful people here are full of good advice!