View Full Version : Need Recommendations: blade sharpening around Philadelphia

altsk8ter
06-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm looking for recommendations on where to get my blades sharpened around the Philadelphia, PA region. I'm also willing to mail in my skates if there's excellent service elsewhere. Any suggestions on where to go?

Thanks!

hippo
06-16-2005, 12:41 AM
There are two that I regularly use:
- Steve Armstrong at Ice Works Skating Club
- Ron Radke at Wissahickon Skating Club

Both have some "big name" clients (i.e. Johnny Weir). One word of caution. No matter who the sharpener is, there will be people who love their work as well as people who tell you to stay away him. In fact, there's another sharpener in the Philly area that a lot of people go to, and he accidently took a chunk of my blade off. Having said that, I guess the best advice is to try them out and see who you like.

altsk8ter
06-17-2005, 05:22 AM
I'll give them a try :)

sk8pics
06-17-2005, 06:10 AM
altsk8ter-- I also sent you a PM with some information. Good luck!

phillyskater
06-17-2005, 08:37 AM
There are two that I regularly use:
- Steve Armstrong at Ice Works Skating Club
- Ron Radke at Wissahickon Skating Club.
I second both of those recommendations. I've been using them both for years and never had a problem. Ron Radke has been in the business for 35+ years (and is also a freestyle and dance coach).

Good luck!
phillyskater

starskate6.0
06-18-2005, 06:44 AM
Steve at ice Works.
After 23 years of sharpening my own skates in rinks and shows I had to find someone else to do my skates because i don't have a machine.
Steve does a great job. Every time i get my skates done I just step on and go...... ;) don't even have to where them down , they feel great and I have edges, can still do all my trick skating stuff etc. Try steve, tell him I sent you.

Ross.