View Full Version : Fresh or Mouldy: June 13 - 19

Melzorina
06-13-2005, 03:11 PM
I've always wanted to start one of these off!

Mouldy: Haven't been skating for two weeks due to revision. Very frustrating, but it should pay off sooner or later. Only 5 more exams to go!!!

mikawendy
06-13-2005, 03:34 PM
Fresh--I passed my pre-bronze FS test on Saturday. I could have skated some of the elements better, but I got useful feedback (both positive and constructive) from the judges. (Now this means I really have to whip my pathetic Bronze moves into shape!)

Mouldy--Summer cold has me pooped out. I took edge class Sunday but didn't have enough energy to make staying to practice on my own worthwhile. I'll be in Arizona this weekend and will miss my lesson and most of my practice time.

Casey
06-13-2005, 03:54 PM
100% mould here, really. Like sometimes when you see something REALLY mouldy with a different kind of mould growing on top of the first mould. I tried spraying some disinfectent on it, but I'm not sure whether the disinfectent or mould is stronger! :giveup:

flo
06-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Mika - Congrats!!!!!

Skate@Delaware
06-13-2005, 05:04 PM
Mikawendy--WOOHOO!! :bow: Congrats!

Hope you feel better-maybe the Arizone weather will cure you, if anything it will give you a chance to dry out from the humidity we've been under.

NCSkater02
06-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Fresh: Empty ice. Well, one other skater. I could go at will. And go I did. It was all fresh today. MIF went well with one exception. Two foot power pulls were awesome--I got lots of ice bite both forward and backwards. Crossovers were fast, if not completely accurate. 3-turn pattern is coming along. And, while working on transitions, I accidentally did a waltz jump. ;) It felt so good, I did another. And another, for a total of five. Don't tell my doctor. (I go back Thursday) It's only been 20 weeks since I've done one. This was absolutely the best skate I've had since I was allowed back on the ice.

Mouldy: Back inside edges. Don't think I'm ever going to get them. And I only got to skate for an hour--I had to go to work. Gotta support the skating somehow.

Casey
06-13-2005, 07:48 PM
It felt so good, I did another. And another, for a total of five. Don't tell my doctor.
You better stop that! I don't want to see you hurting your ankle again!!! Now that I've said that, I'm kinda a hippacrite (though at least I don't have *bones* at stake!):

Fresh: I was feeling frustrated and upset, looked at the clock and realized a public session was just starting. I took a nice big cough to remind myself that I'm sick and that ice skating would be a very bad idea. I decided I didn't care, declared myself mad, and went skating. It went pretty well, if not terribly exciting. It both cleared my mind and gave me time to think at the same time, and...

Mouldy: I don't think I'm going to bother competing any time soon. I started skating because I enjoyed it, and I feel like that's been seeping away recently, and my progress has slowed the more I try to push it. Case in point: my jumps were the worst they've been in 3 months today, and I have no idea why they've been getting steadily worse. Spins have been stale and non-improving for ages. A lot of basic moves are okay, some are better, but some are worse. *shrugs* I'm going to take some ISI tests next week, but I think that'll be it for a while.

Fresh: On the bright side, I realized that I still do and probably always will love skating - after all it's what I want to do whenever I'm feeling down or even when I'm just bored, and it always feels good to do. :)

Mouldy: I already know I'm insane for skating with the flu...now we'll just have to see how bad the consequences are...

Tessa
06-13-2005, 08:09 PM
I had a horrible skating session. Horrible. No, not cuz I was sick or injured. Because I had been at a HUGE party the day before and blithely thought I'd be fine to skate by 3:30 p.m. 2 words -- beer sweats. Legs like lead.

Mika -- congrats!

dbny
06-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Mika - congratulations!

Fresh:
FO and FI threes were as they had been on Friday :D It's too soon for me to look for more progress, I'm just thrilled that I haven't backslid on them! Same goes for prelim power three pattern. Spiral stretches are more difficult at my Mon/Wed rink than at my Fri rink, because the wall is higher, but I did get through them twice today without undue pain.

Mouldy:
Still can't put more than one or two spirals into the pattern, and I know they are not high enough yet. The stretches alone are exhausting! One foot spin was absent today.

BTW - I like the Brittish spelling of "moldy"!

Casey
06-13-2005, 10:36 PM
BTW - I like the Brittish spelling of "moldy"!
Now, if only you could spell British! ;-) :-P

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

It's funny: I always thought of the stuff that grows as mold, and the casts for forming shapes as moulds. I just figured out after seeing this post that indeed mold is the spelling for both in American, and mould is the spelling for both in British. Silly English!

dbny
06-13-2005, 10:45 PM
Now, if only you could spell British! ;-) :-P

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

:oops: Just to be a good sport, I won't go back and edit it out. It's the end of a long and very stressful day for me, and I've already taken my three Benadryls....yawn.

It's funny: I always thought of the stuff that grows as mold, and the casts for forming shapes as moulds. I just figured out after seeing this post that indeed mold is the spelling for both in American, and mould is the spelling for both in British. Silly English!

While I knew all the time that both were "mold" in the US, and both were "mould" in the UK, but always felt that the yukky stuff should be "mould"!

singerskates
06-13-2005, 10:47 PM
You better stop that! I don't want to see you hurting your ankle again!!! Now that I've said that, I'm kinda a hippacrite (though at least I don't have *bones* at stake!):

Fresh: I was feeling frustrated and upset, looked at the clock and realized a public session was just starting. I took a nice big cough to remind myself that I'm sick and that ice skating would be a very bad idea. I decided I didn't care, declared myself mad, and went skating. It went pretty well, if not terribly exciting. It both cleared my mind and gave me time to think at the same time, and...

Mouldy: I don't think I'm going to bother competing any time soon. I started skating because I enjoyed it, and I feel like that's been seeping away recently, and my progress has slowed the more I try to push it. Case in point: my jumps were the worst they've been in 3 months today, and I have no idea why they've been getting steadily worse. Spins have been stale and non-improving for ages. A lot of basic moves are okay, some are better, but some are worse. *shrugs* I'm going to take some ISI tests next week, but I think that'll be it for a while.

Fresh: On the bright side, I realized that I still do and probably always will love skating - after all it's what I want to do whenever I'm feeling down or even when I'm just bored, and it always feels good to do. :)

Mouldy: I already know I'm insane for skating with the flu...now we'll just have to see how bad the consequences are...

Case, don't worry about skating badly when sick. But how sick were you? Almost well, just got over the worst or just starting the flu? Are you trying to get pnemonia? Doc's don't let you skate with pnemonia? And syc wards don't have figure skating rinks. Take care of yourself. Get under the covers. Sweat it out and eat that chicken soup!!!!!

If you skated when you were almost well and you took it easy not pushing too hard, you just helped to speed up your emume system. Otherwise, you're just like the rest of us CAS skaters who are as addicted as hell to skating and loose our heads especially when part of it is already gone from fever. ROTFLOL Just no doing like I've done this winter;skated injured, sick with heavy chest infection caused by cold and have asthma. Only I get to do that.

I'm off of the ice guys. Pinched nerves in neck, back, spine and shoulders. Lots of pain. No strength in arms and shoulders. Even have pain in feet. Getting tested soon. Doc will call with appointment soon. Going on comp.

Brigitte

Casey
06-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Case, don't worry about skating badly when sick. But how sick were you? Almost well, just got over the worst or just starting the flu?
The worst was Saturday, today doesn't feel any better or worse than yesterday. I'm not worried about skating badly while sick, I'm worried about the constant decline and failure to improve over the last couple months.

If you skated when you were almost well and you took it easy not pushing too hard, you just helped to speed up your emume system. Otherwise, you're just like the rest of us CAS skaters who are as addicted as hell to skating and loose our heads especially when part of it is already gone from fever.
I can't say I didn't push myself too hard as I skated like I normally do, and I think I have a couple days left before I'm well again at the least. Surprisingly, I don't feel any worse now than this morning. I had a lot of extra coughing up funness and nose stuffiness during and right after skating, but that was it...

I'm off of the ice guys. Pinched nerves in neck, back, spine and shoulders. Lots of pain. No strength in arms and shoulders. Even have pain in feet.
Oh man, that sounds bad. Make sure you keep us updated - I wish a speedy and full recovery for you in short order!

Melzorina
06-14-2005, 02:44 AM
100% mould here, really. Like sometimes when you see something REALLY mouldy with a different kind of mould growing on top of the first mould. I tried spraying some disinfectent on it, but I'm not sure whether the disinfectent or mould is stronger! :giveup:

I witnessed this at the weekend, this is what the title is in honour of!

yorkie
06-14-2005, 04:00 AM
Mouldy: I have just come home from my private lesson this morning and i dont know if its to do with being tired, or my exams just getting all ontop of me, or just my skates were slipping so much. Maybe i was just generally rubbish. I have to put them in for sharpening tonight. Must remember. My coach was very uplifting and supportive though. I think she sensed i was having a bad day. I did some really rubbish spirals. I dont know, I was just rubbish.

Fresh: It wasnt all mouldy though. I was doing some good jumps and i think my coach was pleased with my spins, in the end. My coach is so great, she's such a star. She pushs me, but knows when to stop. Always very chatty, helpful and supportive. She is just great. Anyway, Only 4 more exams left now too.. yay :) I cant wait to just get them all over with and then i can go back to concentrating on skating and have a nice long holiday before i start college. Also, im hoping to get down to the competition thats being held in Bracknell, if i dont go away. So, I guess its looking up if you think about it in the long run...

Hannah x

stardust skies
06-14-2005, 04:20 AM
Casey- I really don't think the problem is with you as a skater. There is only so much you can learn on your own. The thing is that you have figured out a LOT on your own, and in a very short period of time. Now it's time for your head to catch up to your body a little bit, and that is why you are having a plateau. To get out of the plateau, you need to step it up and learn new and harder things. This will, in comparison, make the things you're struggling over now look easy. Since you are already familiar with everything you could teach yourself (hence the plateau), it wouldn't be a bad idea, if you can afford it, to get some lessons. If you are already taking lessons, try to add one or two extra ones, or at least make the ones you have longer- and ask your coach to show you something new to keep you challenged while you master the other things. You might also want to get yourself a program- it's not JUST for tests and competitions, it also builds up your endurance a lot, and develops your performing abilities. It's also much harder to perform elements as part of a program than on their own, and this will keep you very challenged for quite a while as you get full hang of it, and by then- get a new program!

I have seen people try to work for extended periods of time without a coach- in fact I see it pretty much everyday because the public session here is right before my freestyle. These people have not only not improved in months, they haven't kept up the skills they had a few months ago- they always come and go. Once something degenerates- it only goes downhill from there. If we could all keep progressing without more or less constant instruction and observation from a professional, we would. Or at least *I* would- there are so many Chanel bags and Jimmy Choo shoes I could buy WEEKLY with what I pay for lessons. If you keep struggling and not progressing you are going to start to get really frustrated and will deteriorate your skills more and more, so you need to find a remedy for it. If you can't afford a regular coach, at least try and get one every now and then. It not only helps you progress, it gives you someone to answer to if you DON'T, and trust me- that's all the motivation you need. ;)

I will reply to your pm ASAP. I just felt it was important to reply to this right now.

phoenix
06-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Casey-- what stardust skies said........ it's really not possible to continue improving without an external set of eyes helping to point out all the millions of little things that are errors that we never see. You probably have lots of small habits that are technique flaws, which will only let you get so far--and then you'll be stuck until those have been corrected. Or until a certain set of muscles has been developed. Or lots of other things a coach can see and help fix.

Also there's the motivation factor--so true!! I am a hugely motivated skater, I work my *ss off day after day, I don't go on vacations, I don't buy new clothes, I don't do much at all besides skate. But believe me, while most days I do it for me, there are also days (probably the critical ones) when it's totally for my coach. Whether he'll even be there or not, it's the thought of him watching me from the boards & me wanting to show improvement or thinking he'd be disappointed in me, that gets me out on the ice.

Even if you sign up for a round of group classes, I think you'd be challenged & you'd get some help for the problems. Think about it!

Oh, meanwhile, FRESH: program is reasonably comfortable for competition on Saturday. Twizzles are very consistent on one foot, & maybe 75% now on the other, which is a huge improvement over last week! Also we started on the Blues last night, which I think I'm going to enjoy. Best part was when coach demonstrated the corner section into the choctaw through the restart (former elite competitor here--I think the Blues was one of his compulsories at the Olympics); me standing there watching with my mouth hanging open.....then he stops & flourishes an arm toward me & the corner: "Now, your turn!" :lol:

MOULDY: dress will come back from being altered on Friday morning. If it fits now, I get to wear it for my competition! If not, I've just bought myself a very expensive ill fitting test dress! :frus:

flo
06-14-2005, 08:44 AM
Mouldy: been having foot problems - residue from the killer boots. I have an appointment next week to see what I can do.

Fresh: making plans to go to the Chicago Pairs camp next month. A skater's partner has given up pairs, so I'm subbing. Should be lots of fun.

jazzpants
06-14-2005, 10:57 AM
WOW!!! Phoenix! Getting right down to the wire on that skating dress, huh? :) I hope for all the trouble you went thru you will get to wear that beautiful dress. (And of course, we want pictures!!!)

Fresh:

Started rehearsals for the ensemble numbers for the new Fire & Ice skating show. MAN! It's gonna look REALLY good when it finally comes together!!! And there are a few surprises as far as elite skaters are concerned. (There is one confirmed elite skater on our show... I can't tell 'ya about it until the website for the show is updated.)

Nice clean ice + have kneepads = time to practice my program ending!!! Program ending kinks are worked out and I managed to do the ending okay. Best part is that the knees didn't take as much of the beating!!! (Thank you, SkatingSafe.com (http://www.skatingsafe.com/) pads!!!) :mrgreen:

Mouldy:

My lower back is KILLING ME!!! Muscles on lower back and legs are really sore. Serves me right for attempting to push myself further on the public session AFTER the show rehearsal... :evil:

RFI3: Faster, but STILL not at full speed!!! If I get on a fast enough edge, it's more difficult for me to push on the ankles to do a RFI3. Luckily, I did make some progress and the speed is okay... just not at the full speed that my coach wants it to go. :cry: Same thing with this RFI mohawk. And it's not that I can't do the FI mohawk now... it's doing it with the arm position that my coach wants me to do with. (If I was doing them like I was doing my 5 step mohawk, I don't have as much of a problem.)

Was so tired last night that I also didn't attempt the Chinese spiral. My lower back was aching enough to say "Enough is enough!" :evil: I'm taking it easy today!!! :mrgreen:

Casey
06-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Stardust skies, phoenix: Thanks for your concern, but I do have a private coach, and have for the last 4 or 5 months since discovering how worthless the group classes at my rink were (too many little kids who needed help more, and too short of a time for the lessons).

I used to see my coach for a half hour every week, until I moved here. Now I'm an hour's drive from the old rink, so I see my coach there for 1 hour every 2 weeks instead. I would love to add in more frequent lessons with a coach at a closer rink, and have my eyes set on at least one coach that I think I would work well with, but at this time I simply can't afford anything more. I'm surviving on a quarter of the income I was making 6 months ago, have split my rent in live pretty minimally - skating is my biggest expense every month as it is. Anyways I'm not sure that coaching is the problem here, since though I've reduced the frequency of the lessons, I've not changed the total amount of lesson time every month.

Also, it's not a plateau, it's a downhill grade! However, I'm confident I'll be able to regain the lost skill in time, I just think I need to change my focus.

Skate@Delaware
06-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Mouldy: driving back & forth to the rink on Sunday caused my lower back to spasm and it didn't kick in until Monday morning <<OUCH>> but I'm not skating until next week so I've got time to heal.....

Fresh: skating on Sunday was fun skating with friends and my family, although some things gave me problems (my spin is on vacation as I think I'm pitching too far forward onto my toes again); my crossovers were good, as were my waltz jumps (much higher, my landing kneebend was deeper (echoes of "bend that knee") AND my son (nine years old) showed off his waltz jump in hockey skates!!!! I swear he'll convert to figure skating soon (I'll keep trying!)

slusher
06-14-2005, 03:00 PM
Mouldy I:

My skates stink. My entire skating bag stinks. I rival the hockey guys.

Mouldy II:
I'm jumping heavy. Technique is good and it looks fine on video but I feel in my body that I have no lift, I am working to just get through it. I think because we're going through a heat wave (see stinky bag) that I'm just fatigued from the heat. No a/c at home or in the car.

Fresh I:

Going to the rink and staying cold is such a treat. I never thought I'd be happy to be in a cold rink.

Fresh II:

Coach changed my program around and took out the "challenge" skill because I just could not get it. I got a new "challenge" item later in the program that is I think within my reach.

Casey, I think I'm feeling like you. I'm stale, have been skating non-stop for a while. I take a big lesson once a week, and sometimes work on just one thing in that time so I can go weeks without having something looked at. I can't remember the last time I had a dance lesson for instance . I am thinking now I need to have the 15 minute lesson twice a week so that everything gets looked at more often. Just need to find a coach that can do that :cry:

NCSkater02
06-14-2005, 06:08 PM

I jumped off the healing ankle and landed on the healthy one. The first one was unplanned--just kind of happened. They were all low, short, and gentle, no real risk involved. And I go see him in a couple of days. And, I hope to never break a bone again!

Exercising while sick is ok, as long as all the symptoms are above the neck. Once it goes into your chest, you need to rest and call a doctor.

*IceDancer1419*
06-14-2005, 07:00 PM
Fresh: I'm feeling pretty good about all my field moves!!! They're all coming along pretty well, and I think they're all relatively decent (this is my prelim mitf, fyi ;) perhaps a bit lame, but... yeah). I'm *hoping* I *may* be able to test them near the end of this month... let's see if coach approves that or not :roll:
I also did an AMAZING 1 foot spin. I know, patheretic, but I suck at spinning, and it's taken me FOREVER to get it. I did a PERFECT one with a PERFECTLY CENTERED SPIRAL as the tracing, and believe me, I was ecstatic ;) Not all were quite that good, but they were mostly ok, and I think I'm getting the idea now. ;)

Mouldy: I think I strained/pulled a muscle slightly... my posterior muscle, if you must know :P Anyone know what I should do to help it heal? My mother says that going into a hot tub will help a bit, and I'll be doing that but... anyone?
Also, my skates are still cutting up the back of my heel. Do bunga pads help with that?

Terri C
06-14-2005, 08:25 PM
Fresh:
Today's lesson on moves was just that! I was especially pleased with my power threes- TWO patterns without bailing out of the first LFO three, and no putting the foot down on the choctaw going into the RFO three! I skated quite well, considering the difficult circumstances I'm under right now.

Mouldy:
Yesterday my mother was admitted to the hospital where I work. Later on that evening, she was transferred into ICU. She looks awful for the most part and this is making me wonder if this will be a difficult summer. :cry:

Casey
06-14-2005, 08:39 PM
Casey, I think I'm feeling like you.
Sorry to hear it. Maybe it's just the summertime blues for both of us (yeah, I know most people talk about that whole seasonal anxiety disorder taking effect in the winter, but we're skaters, so we _like_ seeing ice. ;-) Let me know if you do change your lessons around, and what the effect is.

Fresh: I had a really good day today, as far as a day without skating goes. First, I went to a job interview -- it's at a big giant corporation, and I hate corporations, but it's for a 6-month contract, so at least there would be a clean exit in site, and I could generate some much-needed money in the bank (which I could in turn use for more coaching and such).

Mouldy: The interview was okay...as far as the technical questions went I had no problems, however I carried myself pretty poorly because of my lingering illness, I was super-stuffy and had a dry mouth and had to cough a few times. Plus my mouth got so dry that I couldn't talk properly, so I had to ask for a glass of water. :/

Fresh: On the way back from the interview, I stopped by OlympicView Arena (http://olyview.com), which is the nicest ice rink in these here parts, and one I've always dreamed of skating at. I had heard about a very tempting unlimited skating pass from another skater online, so I thought I'd inquire. And yes! If I join USFSA through that rink, then as an adult skater I can get UNLIMITED ice time for $110/month. The amount of freestyle sessions per day varies month-to-month, and is the worst in the summer because they have "summer school" which is a pretty intense all-day skating exercise which eats a good number of the hours, but even at the worst they said there would be at least 3 or 4 sessions every day, and come September, there would be pretty much 6am-6pm freestyle every weekday. In addition, some of these sessions are adult-only, but none exclude adults! YEAH!!!

Fresh: As I was chatting with the skating club lady, the skating club director who had been skating came in and we started chatting about coaching. I told him I'd probably want to try lessons with a few different coaches, and he said that would be no problem. He printed me up a list of all the coaches and their qualifications, and said that 4 of them were "adult-friendly", including him! I told him I hadn't taken any tests, and he wanted to know what track I wanted to follow, either the regular or adult one. I was a bit thrown off by this question, as I didn't know the regular one was an option, so I asked which was best. He asked if I ever planned to compete, and I said eventually, so he said that I'd want to be on the adult track then, because you can't compete at adult competitions otherwise. He went on to highly praise the ANs and said they were a huge load of fun. I also mentioned that I might want to start pairs skating at some point, and he said that some of the coaches teach pairs too, and he was one of them - apparently he had 3 different sets of pair skaters who placed in the top 4 at the last AN (or maybe he didn't say just pairs). I told them I'd be back to sign up when they got more application forms made (they were out) in a few days. The director also showed me the gym (which is separated from the rink by a wall of glass) and ballet room - two more wonderful features that are available free of charge to members.

Mouldy: I stopped by the bank on the way home to deposit the last bit of cash I had in my wallet. Things are looking pretty grim at the moment as far as finances go. :( No worries though, as soon as I'm well again I'll work a few days through the local labor hall to make ends meet AND join the skating club.

Fresh: As soon as I got home, the agency that got me the interview phoned me up to say that the interview went very very well, and I'd probably have the job if I could hold out until Friday or Monday. This was a real confidence booster because to date I've never had an in-person interview and not gotten the job (getting the interview has always been the hard part for me). So that's looking hopeful.

Mouldy: If I do get that job, I won't be able to skate as much. If I don't get that job, I won't be able to afford coaching at the new rink. Also, if I get that job, I won't be able to do the summer school thing at the new rink, which sounded quite appealing; but I can't easily afford to do it otherwise. Ahh the torture...

I'm really excited about the new rink though. The director was really friendly, really encouraging to adult skaters, teaches pairs too, and... $110/month for unlimited ice time!! At a rink that normally charges $10/session! I think I just figured out who my next coach will be (though I want to try a couple of the others too). And olympic-sized ice! I've never skated on ice that big!

Casey
06-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Also, my skates are still cutting up the back of my heel. Do bunga pads help with that?
Yes. The ones you probably want have gel that runs from the base of the heel up the achilles tendon. I have two of these that I use occaisionally use when my skates are feeling loose.

*IceDancer1419*
06-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Casey, did you talk to Steve? I'm pretty sure that's who it is... he has a pretty neat accent ;)

Ooh and... when are you gonna get back on the ice? (just curious)

Does the $110/mo. apply for non-adult skaters or not? just wondering, cuz that might be interesting for me too ;)

*IceDancer1419*
06-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Ok first... thanks for the hint on the bunga pads ;)

2nd... I got your pm. Too bad I'm not an adult :roll: Thanks though! good to know ;)

Casey
06-15-2005, 12:01 AM
Casey, did you talk to Steve? I'm pretty sure that's who it is... he has a pretty neat accent
Yeah, Steve Baker. He seemed like a really great guy all around. Do you know where his accent is from? I was going to ask but our time was limited and I had more important things to ask about! :P

Ooh and... when are you gonna get back on the ice? (just curious)
As soon as I feel better! Hopefully tomorrow.

jazzpants
06-15-2005, 02:10 AM
Started rehearsals for the ensemble numbers for the new Fire & Ice skating show. MAN! It's gonna look REALLY good when it finally comes together!!! And there are a few surprises as far as elite skaters are concerned. (There is one confirmed elite skater on our show... I can't tell 'ya about it until the website for the show is updated.)Okay, it's been updated... here's the announcement (http://32degrees.us/skateout/show.html)!!! Caryn Kadavy is our elite skater!!!

(I officially signed up in the ensemble as of Monday night, so the cast list (http://32degrees.us/skateout/cast.html) will change. I could think at least 3-4 other skaters who just joined too so their names will be added to the ensemble list too.)

Minor chuckle: Our choreographer was going thru what we all will likely be wearing to skate... when she turns, looks directly at me and says "...and as for you, Ms. Purple Boots, OVER THE BOOTS TIGHTS!!!" :twisted: :lol: (My reply was a jokingly reluctant "Yes, ma'am!" :roll: :P )

mdvask8r
06-15-2005, 08:27 AM
Okay, it's been updated... here's the announcement (http://32degrees.us/skateout/show.html)!!! Caryn Kadavy is our elite skater!!!
This show sounds wonderful . . . where & when is it???? I have scoured the announcement & the ticket info -- unless I've just totally overlooked it there is NO DATE, NO LOCATION, not even a CITY.

jenlyon60
06-15-2005, 08:47 AM
Jazzpants is in the San Francisco area, as I recall from previous postings.

jazzpants
06-15-2005, 09:23 AM
This show sounds wonderful . . . where & when is it???? I have scoured the announcement & the ticket info -- unless I've just totally overlooked it there is NO DATE, NO LOCATION, not even a CITY.Yeah, I don't see it either... it's at the Yerba Buena Ice Skating and Bowling Center in San Francisco, CA. There is a Buy Tickets link on the top of the main website here (http://32degrees.us/skateout/)!

There are a lot of really good skaters that are also gonna be doing the show besides Kavady -- including our very own "Live To Skate" Burt! :mrgreen: It's quite possible that there will be another elite skater in this program, though I certainly haven't heard anything official to that effect yet. And if you're into Broadway shows, we also have Ellen Greene as our special singing guest star too.

As for what's gonna be in the "more mature audience" show, I have no clue, but I would bring your Disney kid to the 6:30pm show and NOT the 9:30pm show. (Oh, God! This is gonna be a LOOOOONG evening!!!)

florence
06-15-2005, 09:41 AM
Mouldy

I'm still not skating, plus all the rinks in Milano are closed for summer

Fresh

I'm doing gymnastics, stretching and jumps off ice every day for being in shape in september when I will be skating again ;)

luna_skater
06-15-2005, 02:26 PM
Fresh: Back on the ice after a week. Skates still feel good. They are broken in enough now that I'm almost back in my comfort zone as far as footwork and edgework goes!

Mouldy: I'm too hard on myself. I expect things to be perfect NOW and need to gain some patience. I can visualize perfect jumps and spins in my head, and get frustrated when I can't translate that onto the ice.

NickiT
06-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Fresh
I had another good lesson today. I ran through my programme clean twice. Well, I did have to omit the lutz-loop on the first run-through because a bunch of skaters decided to congregate into the lutz corner just at the wrong time. Still I got it the second time. My coach reckons my camel spin is getting better - my leg is getting higher. Dammit, I thought it was pretty high already! Seriously though, it has improved no end since switching my spins around in my programme. I simply cannot pull off a decent camel - sit right at the end of my programme.

Mouldy
Piriformis syndrome is back with a vengence. It happens every time I step up the intensity in the weeks leading up to a competition. I'm sure it's the entry into my spins that aggravates it. Anyhow, I'm back on the ibuprofen for a few days. At least until the competition is over and I can ease up on the intensity a bit.

Nicki

jazzpants
06-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Mouldy:
"Summertime.... and the skating AIN'T easy!!!"

Yup, folks!!! It's summer time! No school = a very VERY crowded late morning FS session!!! 23 skaters on our NHL size ice rink today -- not including the coaches too!!! YIKES!!! 8O :frus: It's gonna be like this ALL SUMMER LONG!!! NOOOOOO!!!! :frus: :frus: :frus:

Fresh: That I was awake for my lesson??? 8O And the secondary coach has changed her schedule at the last minute for the summer and she didn't tell me about it until I walked onto the ice. Soooo.... b/c of that, my lesson was a freebie this morning!! :mrgreen: (I now have a shortened lesson at a earlier timeslot!!! 8O But at least the cost of skating is slightly adjusted so I have a bit of breathing room for a NICE cup of Starbucks and pastries now.) :P

Had a change to my program. I like it better! :)

Will try to figure out how to deal with primary coach's schedule too... He wants to switch me in the morning FS too!!! I'm thinking of trying to sneak out from work to go to coffee club now... at least then I'll get a wee bit more space (and some coffee and donuts too!) :yum: :twisted: ;)

aussieskater
06-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Mouldy (i) - need to get the LFI mohawk at *full* speed for a local synchro comp next month. I'm a CW skater and hate the LFI mohawk at the best of times. It's really not looking good. (Coming to a dead stop to turn isn't what the judges want.)

Mouldy (ii) - need to get the RFI mohawk at double speed for the same comp. This I hope is achievable.

Mouldy (iii) - this Sunday's practice is at 5.30 am! That's the middle of the night - in winter, no less! On Sunday too (the one chance in the week that hubby and I can banish the kids to the playroom for half an hour in the morning, and get a short sleep-in). Berrk.

Fresh (i) - I have a fudge for mouldy (ii) which will work, so there's something I can do instead if necessary. (Now for a fudge for mouldy (i), so that I have something to fall back on...)

Fresh (ii) - I've found that having to learn this routine has made me a lot faster that I used to be - not that that's saying a lot, as a mouldy snail would give me a fair race. Proof that challenging yourself pays dividends.

Terri C
06-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Fresh:
Had a lesson with primary coach and did not, repeat did not work on any moves! Instead, we started to work on my freeskate for Peach to see what kind of shape it's in and I had a clean program sans the backscratch at the end!
For those that want to know my mom is doing better! I felt that I skated pretty well this week considering the circumstances!

Mouldy:
I want my backscratch back and I want it NOW!!!
Toe loop takeoffs were a little wonky today!

luna_skater
06-15-2005, 11:16 PM
Fresh: Learned, and landed, flip and lutz today!! I now know all the singles, except the axel, which my coach says we'll start working on soon! YIKES! I never dreamt I would get my singles this fast. I guess in reality, only the flip and lutz are new, because I did learn the others when I was little. But that was many, many years ago. And I'm proud that I'm not too big of a chicken to be able to pick this up again!

Also made progress with the backspin, and coach showed me some stroking exercises to warm up with that will be fun.

Mouldy: Nothing tonight!

Casey
06-16-2005, 02:01 AM
Mouldy: I didn't sleep last night. This means my sickness didn't go away one bit. I went skating at 2:30pm, and the way the rink near my house works - the public session begins on the smaller of the 2 ice surfaces, which is also colder, and where they always put the hockey players to practice. At 4:15 or so after Freestyle ends on the main ice, public skating moves over to it and continues until 5:15. So anyways the small ice was REALLY cold today. I got on the ice shivering. I did some exercises to warm up, and I did a small bit, but the faster I tried to do anything, the colder I got because of how frigid the air was. My ears kept going numb and I felt like I was skating without my shirt on. It was ridiculous. After half an hour of torture, I went and watched freestyle for about 15 minutes, then subjected myself to another 15 minutes of torture. During this time, I kept getting super stuffy and needing to blow my nose, and hacking up all kinds of sickness fun. After try number two, I said screw it, and went and watched freestyle until the ice was available.

Starting to turn: The main rink was it's usual temperature, which was a lot more welcoming. My jumps had regressed even more, I couldn't spin at all, and it felt like yet another step down in my skating abilities. But my moves went pretty well, and I got some really deep edges that surprised me. It was like even though everything was terrible, some things were doing really well. I had a pretty leisurely skate until 5:00, at which point I felt too sick and exhausted to keep skating so I came home 15 minutes early, on rollerblades to boot.

FRESH!!!: I went skating again at 8pm. I asked myself why I was there as soon as I got there, but I've been doing that a lot recently. Tonight I also tried an experiment. Instead of my usual dress socks+bunga pads, I wore a sturdy pair of wool blend socks instead, and left the bungas at home. I got on the ice, and immediately started racing around and working on moves. God it went so well....everything was really good, almost everything came off clean and perfect, I didn't fall once, and everything felt better than ever. After an hour, they cut the ice, and I changed into my old beat-up Klingbeils which I still had around. They no longer felt comfortable, as they did when I tried them a few weeks after getting my new skates. I found I could do nearly everything on them, but it felt awkward and I could definitely feel the rocker problem on the blades (though I did manage to spin some really scratchy small spins, which is a first for those blades). I also noticed that in my Grafs, the front of the blade is set more towards my big toes, so I had a tendency to shift inward on the Klingbeils since my weight was focused more on the inside edges. After 5 minutes my feet started complaining loudly, so I got off the ice and changed back into the Grafs.

I started doing some jumps...and all that regression just totally went away. My jumps are all back to the best quality they have been. I taught myself the ballet jump and stag jump too, though my stag jump isn't much different from a regular half flip yet and I know my arms aren't correct for the ballet jump.

I got my phone and decided to take a video of my spins to see how they were coming along. The first spin I tried got 8 revolutions!!! The most I've ever gotten before today is 6. It travelled, but my god! 8 revolutions! The second was crap, the third got 7, the fourth got the usual 5. I started a second video, and on the first try got 10 revolutions, perfectly centered. And I got it on video to prove it! AHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA I'm so happy!!! I took a picture of the tracings right then and there - it wasn't the ideal circles within circles, but the whole thing was within a square foot, which is pretty darn exceptional for me!

Spirals were feeling good, so I decided to take a video of them and see if they really were. Yes! They have improved, and I'm not quite sure why. At one point on an outside edge spiral my foot was level with my head! I didn't hold it there for long, but all in all they are looking better. My back spirals were even better than forward.

Guess what happened then??? I tried a loop from that dreaded RFI 3-turn entry, and landed it! I tried it again, and landed it AGAIN! I did one on video, it was the worst of the 3 and felt really sloppy with a rough landing, but I still landed it!!! Okay, I'm not getting any height and it's not pretty, but I'm landing this bloody jump so now I can work on improving it!

What is that move called where you hold your boot by the heel up as high as you can with a straight leg? I did some of those on film. Did plenty of spread eagles in both directions, and got my legs straighter. Did a bunch of outside spread eagles in the easiest direction, but my legs weren't at all straight for those.

Throughout all of this, my boots fit like a glove due to the thicker socks. No way am I going back to the dress socks I've been wearing (because my boots are slightly too large, and this compensates MUCH better than the bunga pads, without the sweat problems). I've realized all my recent boot worries don't matter - I can happily wear these skates indefinitely now.

After the session one of the regulars came up and exclaimed, "You're faster every time I see you!". I told him it was a really good night. I was just beaming...

I cannot express in words how happy I am right now. This has been my best day skating, ever. I don't care if I stay sick forever - it was worth it! Thank you all so much for being supportive when I was in a slump - with your help I kept going and made it through!

Here are the aforementioned video clips and pictures:
http://sk8rland.com/users/kc/pictures/?act=slide&archive=ice_skating&file=spin_tracing-20050615-2.jpg
http://sk8rland.com/users/kc/video/ice_skating/2005-06-15/

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

flo
06-16-2005, 08:45 AM
Fresh: had a great skate last night. The new boots are slowly feeling better. It was a wonderful session (private ice), and Mika joined us, and looked great (I think she's on a plane en route to Phoenix).

Mouldy: Still lots of foot pain when I walk, but not when I skate!

AnnM
06-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Fresh: Empty ice :) . Also, the latter half of my program was revamped and I like it much better now. I think we finally have the final version, with six weeks left to perfect it. New costumes should be delivered today --- can't wait to try them on.

Moldy: My skating! I was skating on four hours of sleep and it showed. My legs were in full on protest mode. In addition, my blades need more re-positioning again according to my coach. It might be the cause of my sucky spins and power 3s lately.

dbny
06-16-2005, 01:46 PM
Casey I haven't looked at all of your videos yet, just don't have the time, but I did look at your loop from the FI three and it's very impressive, especially because you did it with your free leg pretty much next to your skating leg instead of in front. Now try the FI three leaving your free leg in place so that after the turn it is in front of you ready for the loop take off. Hold your thighs tightly together for the three. You're going to get a much bigger and better jump that way.

Anita18
06-16-2005, 07:06 PM
Fresh:
Had my first private lesson today! Yay! New coach is very nice and personable, and quite funny. He helped me fix my clunky crossovers and my crappy spins, and next week he'll look at my jumps.
Forward spins were actually pretty good as long as I went into them slow and controlled. When coach told me to bend my skating leg on the entrance then straighten both legs together after crossing, I spun so fast I literally freaked out. :lol:
Coach may have figured out why my sit spins are so bad - for some reason, my back is so straight that it's throwing me off balance. He told me not to think of it as a "sit" spin, but a "folding" spin. It really helped my balance once I concentrated on reeeeaaaching forward with my arms and letting my back get low to my leg.
Backspin also improved lots once he told me to check the right shoulder strongly back. I had some trouble with it at first, but at the end of the session (after much practicing) it was feeling more natural. Funny - I had been telling myself to make sure the spinning foot faced forward, but it's a lot easier to think of it in terms of checking the upper body. It's the same body position, really...
Coach says I have nice knee bend. :)
All in all, I was very pleased with my progress after my very first lesson. I think it actually helped that I was already fairly comfortable with the ice and knew how things were supposed to go generally.

Moldy:
Showed coach my v. sucky camel spin and I think I pulled my left hip strangely. Couldn't really put my weight on it to practice forward scratch and sit spins after my lesson. Maybe next week...
Coach declared my first characteristic: "Chicken!" :P My back is too straight on forward crossovers and sitspins. He says I'm afraid of tripping over the toepick, and he's probably right. Doesn't explain why my back is so straight on sitspins though. Can't accuse me of looking like Tim Goebel though!
Still afraid of stopping, but coach says my skates are very very sharp (well, yeah, I just got them sharpened) so I might as well take it easy. :P And to think it was even harder to stop before I had my hollow slightly flattened!

aussieskater
06-16-2005, 07:22 PM
Coach declared my first characteristic: "Chicken!"Funny - after my lesson last night on those dreaded mohawks, my coach said the same thing. Also - "Look, I'm going to need to teach you to spin CCW (the other way for me) to try to get the "spinny" feeling you need...I know you don't like it but you absolutely have to go there." He then grabbed me from behind and spun me round and round and round. Then gave me an exercise (near the wall thank goodness), where I have to step forward onto the right foot and spin 1.5 revs CCW on that foot. And then change to left foot and step forward to right foot and repeat. And repeat. Yuk. I can't say it helped yet.

ETA - sorry pressed "submit" rather than "preview" - Casey, hooray! Thank goodness you're past the hump. Now watch things get better and better. When you get to the next hump (as you surely will), you know you will eventually pull out of it and be heaps better than you expected. Go Casey!

Anita18
06-16-2005, 07:52 PM
HAHAHAHA I just found out about the earthquake that hit SoCal this afternoon. My friend in LA (farther from the epicenter than I was) asked me if I had felt it, and I thought she was talking about the one that happened on Sunday! :P

An article I found says that the moderate quake hit at around 1:53PM, right when I was taking my lesson! I didn't feel a thing! Coach didn't say anything either, and neither did anyone at the rink. Maybe the ice has good suspension? :lol:

Mrs Redboots
06-17-2005, 06:32 AM
I believe ice does have good suspension - I was once on ice during an earthquake (in Scotland, of all places!) and never felt a thing.....

Back on the ice today for the first time in ten days, and, once I got my feet under me, a surprisingly good skate.

Fresh: Husband and I did a very good run-through of our free dance, and he is actually managing to rotate with me in the lift at the end now! We are still far too slow in the waltz section, and I don't think we're selling any of it enough yet..... Yet again, I want to change the steps of the waltz section, but will, I think, bite my tongue until after Friday's competition. But the end of it is working well. Let's hope we'll be drawn last.....

Thought I'd forgotten my Dynaband (which I need for my artistic), but found it just as I was taking my boots off! Was able to run through my programme a couple of times. Am drawn last of 3 skaters, so guaranteed a Bronze medal, which will be nice - I'd far rather be 3rd out of 3 than 2nd out of 2. However, one of my opposition says she may have to withdraw as her skates are hurting her. But so are mine, so she better not.....

Mouldy: My feet hurt! I have a bunion or something growing and although I can probably get my skate punched out, I'll have to wait until next week as the guy in the shop is on holiday. Oh well. I've had an essential oil bottle (just the right size) in there all last week, but forgot to put it back after skating today.

Twizzles started out great, and even made the right sort of pattern on the ice, but couldn't do them after a bit. Oh well.....

Coach's saying of the week: Male coach to male skater: "No, not like that! Be a bit more manly!"

blue111moon
06-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Fresh: I remembered enough of the skills and tips I learned from the coaches in France and Germany to show my home coach and she was impressed at the improvements! She praised my upper body positions on the sprials and camel sand said I'm getting more lift on the salchow and loop.

Mouldy: After landing two flips on one foot in France and being told I had "excellent technique" in the jump, I promptly reverted to my normal two-footed landings on home ice. :evil: I'm getting more height and knee bend on the take-off and the darned thing is fully rotated. I just can't keep that free foot off the ice! :x

Because of crowded ice conditions on the summer sessions, I'll be taking a little time off from figures and focussing on the free skating for a while. My coach did mention that I might want to try some of the ISI figure tests for the fun of it. Does anymone know what they are or where I can find a list of them (I hate the ISI site for finding actual information!)? And can I start at the beginning and work my way up them or do I have to plunge in from where I left off in USFS testing a couple decades ago?

Isk8NYC
06-17-2005, 10:40 AM
Mouldy: Me. I hurt my back somehow during my FIL's funeral and I've been able to really skate at the rink. In addition, my skates hurt my feet, so I need to visit Klingbeil's for another adjustment.

Fresh: Not much, just trying to adjust our family lifestyle to missing grandparents. Severe shortage of time and babysitters -- how often am I allowed to ask the teenager or my brother (who's doing well health-wise) to babysit?

Melzorina
06-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Sorry to hear that! :(

For the first time in two weeks, I'm going to go ice skating tomorrow! I'm very excited. Two weeks ago, I was extremely close to landing the loop, guess I'll have to start again on that one. I'm really worried about the train. Seeing as I don't look 16 or anything, and money is somewhat scare since I'm still at school and sitting exams, I get a half on the train. I went out with friends the other day, and got half as usual, and the conductor rumbled my friend, but insisted that I too was 16, even though I had never said anything, and he insisted he'd caught me before. He said he'd let us off, but if he ever caught us again, he'd get the police involved.

I don't think the police would care, and in any case, couldn't we get him for conspriacy to defraud or something??? I'm really worried, I think I'll just plead that I'm fifteen if I see him tomorrrow morning...It'd cost me almost £6 to get to the rink otherwise, whereas now it costs me £2.60.

jazzpants
06-17-2005, 11:02 AM
Sorry to hear about that ISk8NYC. Hope things will come together soon so you can skate again.

Fresh: Primary coach is back!!! :mrgreen:

And we went over my backspin, camel and sit spins. He says that my sit spins (when I don't get lazy and do HOLD the sit position) is just fine.

Backspin is consistently at 4 revs before I end up on the BI edge. Legs are starting to cross over!!! YIPPEE!!! I'm actually closer to a back scratch!!!

Mouldy: Summer time is back and so are the kiddies!!! :evil: :frus: Skate guards aren't doing their jobs keeping the rentals kids out of the middle and I had to physically get an ice guard's attention to keep the rentals kids out of the middle since there's a BUNCH of us taking lessons in the middle of the ice. (Coach was doing center of the ice guard duty DURING my lesson and NOT watching my camels, which I wasn't happy about, so I had to do that to keep his sanity.)

We ended up staying in the middle of the rink to go over crossovers around the circle (needs some work...) and this 3 turn exercise w/the threes that I do have. It goes like this: RFI3, turn around and step to a LFO3, then RBO3! Repeat exercise, but switch the foot. (The BO3's need some work. My RFI3 are actually better now!!!)

Per my secondary coach's request, I am learning the attitude spin now. Was a challenge b/c 1) it was a weird position to be in and 2) I have to be care NOT to run into some BRAT who comes barreling in the middle of the rink and Jay had to chase the brat out... (Where ARE you, Mr. Ice Guard???) :frus:

I am consistently getting 2 rev. on the camel spins too... but he wants 3 of them!!! :roll: :P And of course, again, I had to abort a few spin entrances b/c of the brats again -- never mind be careful when they HEAD TOWARDS ME IN THE MIDDLE OF THE CAMEL SPIN!!! :evil: (HEY, KID!!! Didn't your mom ever tell 'ya you don't get camel spins thru osmosis or get near sharp objects??? And since I'm ranting, you also don't get it by bugging me afterwards to "show me how you do that" when you barely can keep your balance going forwards either!!!)

Looks like I have homework this weekend to work on those mouldy spots too...

Needless to say, as far as this ice session is concerned, it's a WASHOUT!!!

Lower back and legs are very sore and tired after the fact. I may have to bow out of my gym session tonight... :(

Fresh again: Thankfully, I finally got Annabel's wonderful handmade SOAP, so I can be "fresh" again after the washout of a session I got. (I know. Har har... time to get a new joke writer...) :P :lol:

Mrs Redboots
06-17-2005, 11:05 AM
After landing two flips on one foot in France and being told I had "excellent technique" in the jumpOoh, you should have seen how pleased she was after she had! It was on the hardest day of all, we were all exhausted, and there she was fizzing away like an Alka-Seltzer when you first put it into a glass of water!

You'll do it again, though, now that you already have. It might take time, but it's there now....

phoenix
06-17-2005, 12:09 PM
FRESH: Final run throughs before the competition tomorrow. Wore my dress--I like it! Finally!! I really like how the skirt swirls around when I spin. I did 2 good clean programs & a few 1/2 run-throughs (first 1/2 or last 1/2) that were decent, so I feel ready to go. Coach told me a very helpful tip: however high your arm is, you should be looking above it. So when I lift my hand, my face has to go up to match. His other comment re. that same thing: "I can see your hair, but not your face!" :lol:

After he told me that I did another run through really focusing on that--it really helped my balance on a lot of the footwork & turns because it kept me much more straight instead of leaning one way or another. Cool!

MOULDY: Coach didn't want to tape me, so I can't post a video. Hmmmm, maybe that's a good thing........

slusher
06-17-2005, 01:57 PM
Fresh:

Jumps showed up today. yee ha! However, since "apparently you're in a jumping mood" the lesson got harder with more technique pointers so that at the end I was happy that my feet were still leaving the ground and I was still in one piece. Why do coaches do that, can't I have at least one day to bask in the glow of my "okay" jumps?

Spins came along too but then I freaked myself out because I started looking when I was spinning. Usually I let my eyes blur, but then I started focusing and blam! spins went home.

Mouldy:

This is my last week of spring skate and I can't afford to do summer. :cry:

flo
06-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Fresh: Practiced again last night and my new skates like to spin! The lutz and flips were also the highest they've been in a long time. I'm really getting use to the blade placement.

Mouldy: Trying toget in more practice before the pairs clinic next month. Hopefully I'll see my coach soon and can pair skate with him for a bit.

jenlyon60
06-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Stroking and Tango...

Fresh: Not much. Managed near the end of the lesson to get the right shape on the lobe going into the first corner of the Tango. Before without realizing it I was pulling off the edge and rolling onto a flat or almost inside edge.

Mouldy: Coach wanted me to take stroking up another level. Right knee hurting since I haven't skated since Monday.

Then on Tango, Coach wants more free leg elevation on the back outside edges (inbetween the cross-back chasses) plus some "air space" between the knees. Made the first few lobes of the dance feel totally different, but I think once I get used to it, I'll like it.

New boots should be here sometime next week or so...

NCSkater02
06-17-2005, 06:29 PM
Fresh: Went to the doctor yesterday, and he released me to do whatever I want to do. That means I have permission to jump now. It also means I go back to trying to spin. :frus:

Mouldy: Worked all night last night, so I couldn't go skate this afternoon.

skateflo
06-18-2005, 04:57 AM
Fresh - my back edges have returned! Coach was astounded. Am finally making progress on forward spin too! After so many interruptions the past 18 months, it really felt good to see progress.

Mouldy - alas, my high lasted only a few days, as Wednesday my garage roof (attached to my house) caught fire at 4:40 am as I came downstairs for my first cup of coffee. Fire dept responded within minutes but roof will have to be completely redone. But the stress just wore me out and didn't skate my usual Wednesday evening nor could I get the motivation for the rest of this week. But I have a lesson on Sunday (19th) and should be fine by then.

Melzorina
06-18-2005, 09:54 AM
A lovely day of skating, I had my leson at 08:30 instead of 12.15pm. That was good, we worked on jumps, which were cool, and my spin was as centered as one would wish, which delighted me!
Then my instructor decided to teach me something new, a Three jump-half loop-salchow. Which terrified me, but it's so easy! It sounds really fab aswell, to anyone who knows nothing about skating. Then he decided to teach me something else new. The dreaded...FLIP.

It's rather exciting though, in some respect.

The ice rink was freezing today, all the ice was misty, and you couldn't see from one end to the other. It took quite a while to warm up this morning! Also the ice is getting...sort of...renewed? They're taking it down so it's dead thin ice on Monday, so apparently the ice will be crap.

Whoopeee.

dbny
06-18-2005, 12:20 PM
Mouldy: Me. I hurt my back somehow during my FIL's funeral and I've been able to really skate at the rink. In addition, my skates hurt my feet, so I need to visit Klingbeil's for another adjustment.

Fresh: Not much, just trying to adjust our family lifestyle to missing grandparents. Severe shortage of time and babysitters -- how often am I allowed to ask the teenager or my brother (who's doing well health-wise) to babysit?

So sorry to hear about your FIL, and glad that I met him last month. Happy to hear that your brother's health is improving!

skateflo - How awful that you lost your garage roof to a fire, but how lucky that you were awake to call the fire department right away!

I've been having a stressful time too. My cousin, who was 10 years older than I, was hospitalized two weeks ago and suffered cardiac and respiratory arrest. He was revived, but the doctors were not holding out much hope of recovery, as he had suffered significant brain damage from lack of oxygen. Adding to the stress of his condition, it was like pulling teeth to get accurate information from anyone at the hospital, even though I was the next of kin. I was finally able to speak with the neurologist on Tuesday morning, and within 20 minutes, received a call that my cousin had died. The one ray of light is that the neurologist contradicted all of the other medical staff when he told me that my cousin was not brain dead, in a coma or in a vegetative state, giving those of us who were able to visit him shortly before his death the comfort of knowing that he may well have known we were there. I'm now working on making the appropriate arrangements and handling the settlement of his trust fund. It's going to be a few months before I'm done with it all, and I hope that the memorial service planned for August will bring closure.

Mouldy:
I thought that it would be good for me to teach and skate as usual on Wednesday morning, but didn't sleep much Tueday night, so it was a complete wash out.

Fresh:
I started coping better on Thursday, and skated Friday at the last of the great empty public sessions before the summer schedule starts. Both FO and FI threes are still there and improving! The R side of the prelim power threes is getting better, and I actually managed to step forward on the L side twice, which is also an improvement. I finally properly held the first LFO edge on the prelim spiral pattern. This has been a big problem because of my pronation that still has not been fully addressed (getting my orthotics on Tues!). Best of all, I tried an exercise I had seen being taught in group freestyle/moves lessons. From a standstill, push onto a BO edge and do a BO three. I can't believe that I had the courage to try it, and even better, was able to do it, and actually check the three. Only did the R side, will have to work up the courage to try the L :roll:.

Mrs Redboots
06-18-2005, 12:55 PM
Huge hugs to those who have lost loved ones recently.... I hope you are being able to grieve properly.

kittie067
06-18-2005, 02:12 PM
hugs! hope that everything gets better soon!!!

Fresh: SCHOOL'S OUT!!!!
I'm officially finished with 11th grade. finally!

Skating's been going pretty good, except I'd been having trouble concentrating because I had finals all week. :frus:

Mouldy: scraped and and bruised my left ankle. So that's kind of sore. Also I've been feeling stiff lately, does anyone know how to get loosened up? I mean I stretch before I skate, but is there something else I should be doing?

~kittie

sk8joyful
06-18-2005, 02:21 PM
To dbny -
sorry to hear about your family loss, and the screwed-up health-care system.
I hope that skating will help you, find peace again.
Skating can be great therapy, and a needed break from the troubles of life.

sk8joyful
06-18-2005, 02:34 PM

NCSkater02
06-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Fresh: My first skate since the doc released me. Of course, my coach started right back with spins and jumps. The muscle memory is still there.

Mouldy: The jumps and spins are not. Tried waltz and jumping off that left outside edge is iffy. I have to teach my brain that it is ok to do that again. Coach said I got pretty good height, but minimal distance. Flip was funny. She says I don't trust my left foot yet, and she's right. It'll come back in time. Then, salchow. We just worked on the 3turn entry for today.

I tried to do a one foot spin, and could do the back crossovers and the step onto the outside edge, but couldn't make myself do the 3turn into the spin. (If anyone remembers, it's how I broke my ankle) I tried it with a 2foot spin, and that worked. I guess I just have to remember that I have to go backwards here before I can go forwards.

skateflo
06-18-2005, 05:50 PM
To dbny - I am so sorry to hear about your loss and of your interaction with the health system. And now you are dealing with the legal aftermath as well. That will take much time, patience, and courage. I hope that skating will help on the majority of days you go to the rink, as there are bound to be days you will want to just turn around and go back home. Been there, done that.

It seems this season we have had a number of injuries, some quite serious, and other difficulties effecting our posters. I just want to offer my sincere and heartfelt best wishes to all those posters no matter where you are in your journey.

As many of us have found, skating can be great therapy and a needed break from the troubles of life.

frvanilla
06-18-2005, 06:14 PM
Fresh: I am back on the ice after 4 weeks of doing nothing. Met up with my former Canskate coach for lesson today. We re-worked the first few jumps and spins. And OMG, what a difference she made! She got me into awaring my body/arms/legs positions. I am kind of pissed that why didn't my present coach @ my club bother to tell me anything about skating at all.

This is a brand new start for me. After all these years of leisure skating I finally got my butt together to work on the prelim elements seriously. Hopefully I'll be able to test this winter and get my NCCP certificate! :P

Mouldy: Stuck in the traffic for 2 hours on my way back home due to highway construction and a trailer truck fire!!! :!: :!: :!: stupid 401... ><

Terri C
06-18-2005, 07:55 PM
Even though I had a pretty good practice session on Thursday (did a entire power three pattern without putting the foot down or chickening out) please add me to the "Skaters going Through Rough Times List"
If you've read my posts from earlier this week on this thread, then you know that my mom is back in the hospital. For the most part, she stopped eating and drinking because of clinical depression- this is what we've found out the last two days. She is now on a antidepressant and I hope that she gets back to her normal self! :cry:

dbny
06-18-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm sorry to hear that your mom is having more troubles, Terri. I hope the antidepressant kicks in soon.

Thanks to everyone for all the well wishes.

jazzpants
06-19-2005, 12:58 AM
Terri, I already PM'ed you on this, but I do hope that your mom recovers soon so you won't have to worry so much and concentrate on your skating!!!

Mouldy:

Had a lot of housework to do... and got stuck in traffic. It took me long to drive to the weekend rink than I actually skated on it! :evil: :x

Fresh:

Ended up having to skate again after going to my pilates session and having a quick dinner. I ended up at my alternate weekend rink instead. I worked mainly on Bronze Moves this evening, though the footwork part of my artistic program was definitely worked on to death as well.

Mouldy again:

Took over an hour to warm up those legs well enough where I could easily bend and do my Bronze Moves as well as I would like them to be. And I still can't get my footwork to work in at faster speeds... but slightly better this evening, nonetheless.

Fresh again:

Bronze Moves was still decent despite the "fresh" legs and the forward power 3's started building up steam (speed) as the night progressed...WOO HOO!!! Boy, do I wish BOTH my coaches could see that last run!!! :mrgreen:

Mrs Redboots
06-19-2005, 06:49 AM
Fresh: Final lesson on our free dance before the competition, unless we decide to spring for 15 minutes of Coach1's time on Wednesday. Coach2 loved the tweaks we'd had at the Mountain Cup, and said how much we had improved, both on the assisted 3-jump and on the lift.

In our lesson with Coach2, we worked on the compulsory dances for Friday, mostly on the Riverside Rhumba (our Golden Skaters' Waltz was deemed okay without more than a cursory glance, thankfully). He said it improved a great deal during the lesson!

Also ran through my programme for tonight - I can see myself coming 3rd out of 3, but at least I get a medal, and I don't really care..... nor do I care if it comes last on Friday. I've tweaked the choreography yet again - hope I can remember what I decided to do!

Mouldy: Not a great deal. My foot still hurts in my boot, but not badly. Managed the whole session without having to take my boot off.
Coach1 said, and I think he meant it as a compliment, that now that I'm so much thinner, the judges are more likely to notice my bent free leg and unpointed toes.... and I wore my blad boot-covers this morning instead of liturgical green, as Lionel said that bright boot-covers make him more likely to notice my mistakes instead of Husband's! Hoped it would work on Coach1 (well, it did to a certain extent!).....

Trying to quickly re-learn the Festival Quickstep for a recreational competition next weekend (no lesson, because of Team Challenge). Must download the steps, as I'm sure what Husband tells me isn't quite right from what I remember of the dance!

Casey
06-19-2005, 12:34 PM
Fresh: I landed my first loop-loop!! Still can't manage a waltz-loop though - it's hard for me to get the leg right and get the right edge/balance on the waltz landing. My edges are slowly coming along. Hopefully I can get in enough practice today to pass the test tomorrow!!

Mouldy: I'm sore/tired now, and sleep isn't helping much. I'm wondering if I should just not skate today to have more energy tomorrow...

phoenix
06-19-2005, 03:36 PM
FRESH: Competition went quite well yesterday. I wasn't skating against anyone, so I got first place--and also last place! :lol: I skated fairly well, a couple of little wobbles but nothing too serious. Everyone said how beautiful my dress was, so I guess it was worth the stress of waiting for it! And I'm quite pleased w/ the video--I look fairly relaxed & I kept my head up, & my arms aren't just stuck straight out from my sides, so overall I think it looks pleasing to watch.

MOULDY: Having seen the video I do think the new dress isn't the most slimming thing I have to wear. I know they say the camera adds 10 pounds but I do think the dress also makes me look a bit chunkier too.

** as an aside, Mrs. Redboots & others, I tried Bach Rescue Remedy! Funny--the website I originally saw it on, I thought it was too expensive.......then last week looking through a pet supply catalog there it was! For quite a bit less, and I double checked--it's exactly the same bottle! So I ordered it along w/ a new leash & doggie treats. :lol: It tastes NASTY. I put 4 drops under my tongue, then another 4 just before I was to skate. I don't know if I'd swear it made a difference, but my legs weren't shaky & I felt balanced & solid. On the other hand I got a horribly dry mouth during my skate which really bothered me--don't know if that was nerves or a side effect?

NCSkater02
06-19-2005, 05:59 PM
On the other hand I got a horribly dry mouth during my skate which really bothered me--don't know if that was nerves or a side effect?

I get a really dry mouth when I compete too. I just make sure I have plenty to drink.....water, I mean water! I'm sure it's just nerves. I hear it gets better, but I'm still waiting for that to happen.

Mrs Redboots
06-20-2005, 05:07 AM
I, too, competed yesterday, and finished 3rd out of 3. And I think I'd have been almost disappointed to have broken my record of always finishing last at my home rink.... it was close, though, and I'm pleased with how I skated, although I messed up the spiral sequence AGAIN! Why can I do it perfectly in practice and thus far have messed it up both times I've competed this routine? (Those of you who were at the Mountain Cup will have seen a slightly shorter version).

Again, the audience liked it enormously, and I got roars of applause. The judges couldn't give me a high technical mark, of course, didn't expect them two. In our system, you get two technical marks, two artistic marks and one (I think) choreography, and then each judge gives you a 2nd mark for "entertainment value", so if they like your programme but you have no technical in it, you could, in theory, still win. Never happens - but I've known a judge give me 1.8 for technical merit, and 3.5 for entertainment, so....

Anyway, it gets skated again on Thursday, and that's probably it for this year. Depends on what other competitions there are that I can do it in.