View Full Version : What Iceskating has taught me

rf3ray
06-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Everytime I go to the ice-rink, the rest of the word doesnt seem as important... what I learnt from skating is that you can leave all your troubles at the door when you start skating and pick them up after. Do you guys feel the same

CoolbugSuz
06-13-2005, 10:42 AM
I totally feel the same. No matter whether I've had a bad morning at work, or a horrible commute, or if I have a headache or whatever, skating always makes me forget about all of that. I just love it!!

Unfortunately, starting today, I'm at a lull. For the last several months, I've gone skating Monday thru Thursday at lunch. The rink I skate at (Ohio State University) has ended their lunch skates until mid to late September. So now if I want to skate, I have to drive to one of the other rinks, which are between 15 minutes and 1/2 hour drive each way. That pretty much leaves me not much time to skate. Can't tick off the boss too much! I'm thinking I'm going to make the drive at least a couple times during the week, and of course I'll still have my weekend skating on Saturday and Sunday.

I'm going to look into maybe joining our fitness center here at work to at least get some exercise/training in on the days I'm not skating.

But I sure will miss the lunch stress free skating experience!

Suz

AuroraBorealis
06-13-2005, 05:44 PM
Everytime I go to the ice-rink, the rest of the word doesnt seem as important... what I learnt from skating is that you can leave all your troubles at the door when you start skating and pick them up after. Do you guys feel the same

Yes, count me in!
Actually, this has always been my approach to skating - that it's something I'm doing just for myself and just for the fun of it. And it really does make a difference in my skating when I do bring them out on the ice. Stay outside, you nasty things! :)

Another thing - even if I fall, the world doesn't end there. I can get up and try again, which is what I do. And that no matter how bruised I get (and I used to be covered in bruises!), the bruises will go away with time (applies really well to real life). :)

I always sucked at sports and activities, so it's wonderful to discover that I actually can learn to do things, can do them right - and always can improve!

aussieskater
06-13-2005, 09:07 PM
I totally agree with you. Even more, I find that skating's really good for forcing you to clear out your head space, in that you must leave all the extraneous stuff outside and concentrate on what you're doing 100%, or else you finish blades up, flesh down! It's often the case that soon after a session, I think of another approach to something that was worrying me before I went in.

Anyone else feel this way?

Casey
06-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Back when I was working in an office every day, on the rare occaision that I would wake up really early and go to a morning freestyle session, the day was 100% different. I'd enjoy it more and get more done instead of dragging myself too and from the coffee machine to stay awake as the day dragged on.

Mel On Ice
06-14-2005, 01:46 PM
patience. I don't think I would appreciate where I am in the sport in terms of ability had I just gotten everything.

Appreciation for the journey. I love learning new programs, new MIF, challenging myself on new elements.

Art. I have listened to more classical music than I ever had before based on my participation in this sport.

Friendship and camraderie. I have now made friends with skaters across the US, people I ordinarily wouldn't encounter in my career or day to day life.

Health. When my parents were my age, both were on blood pressure medication and my dad was developing adult diabetes. I am currently prescription-free with a healthy heart!

dooobedooo
06-14-2005, 01:53 PM
To hold your head up high and smile through all the pettiness and politics at the rink ...

cutiesk8r43
06-14-2005, 06:32 PM
I definetly agree with you the minute I get on the ice all my problems go away except for the ones at the rink! :roll:
~ cutie ;)

Chico
06-14-2005, 10:36 PM
I agree with many comments here. dooobedooo, yepadoodle. =-)

Here's mine:

1. Friends come in all packages at the skating rink.

2. I love a challenge.

3. I'm braver than I thought.

4. Patience.

5. I've learned to appreciate the small things.

Chico

*IceDancer1419*
06-14-2005, 11:38 PM
It's taught me that when you fall, ya just have to get back up and keep going ;) :)

It's taught me to reach out and talk to other people who are "strangers"... I even mustered up the courage to talk to an ADULT stranger today! *gasp* ;) :lol:

It's taught me to appreciate the value of $10 ;) And the value of money in general, and how very privileged I am to be able to participate in such a goshdang EXPENSIVE sport

rf3ray
06-15-2005, 04:12 AM
I Also learnt that I should focus more on my Study ARRRRRRRRRRRHG oh well looks like I might repeating :-( :giveup: :giveup: :giveup: