View Full Version : Ever dance with an elite dancer?

sk8er1964
06-05-2005, 01:20 PM
I took my pre-bronze dances yesterday, and was fortunate enough to skate with an elite senior level dancer. I had one practice session, then the test.

It sure was an eye-opening experience, since the only other people I have danced with are other adults (most of whom skate at a much lower freestyle level than I do), and my coach, who is only at about 30% since he's recovering from a severe ankle injury. Skating with this elite dancer was fun, fun, fun, because he is sooooo strong and sure on his edges.

In fact, when the swing dance ended, I had been enjoying myself so much that I had forgot that I was in a test session, and said in my head "well, d**n - it's over???".

Has anyone else had the chance to dance with an elite? How'd you like it?

Sweet16*skater
06-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Well I used to have a dance coach that I thought was a good partner, but then changes coaches and my new coach ( who was a senior international dancer) made it soooooo much easier...I didn't know what I was missing!!!
Sweet16*

phoenix
06-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Yes, I've had a couple of coaches that were elite competitors. I've been VERY lucky! (and spoiled!) My goal is to skate so well that I don't notice myself leaning on them or them saving me---which doesn't always happen but when it does it's so nice! I come away from those dances thinking, so that's what it should feel like!

jenlyon60
06-05-2005, 01:37 PM
yes. coach is former 2x UK national dance champion.

Figuresk8_katie
06-05-2005, 02:20 PM
yup! i've been lucky enough to have two senior level dance coaches/partners. both competed at the Canadians. one recieved 6th and the other i believe finished top 10. anyway. between the two of them i passed the European, Keats FoxTrot, and Rocker Foxtrot with the top 10 partner and i passed an amazing 6 dances with the other (Harris Tango, American, Blues, Paso Doble, Kilian, and Starlight Waltz). My current partner (just started with him last week) is also a senior level dancer. I'm not really sure of what he's accomplished. I haven't done my research lol. Anyway, he's great! So i'm hoping to pass my Gold dances with him this upcoming year. Wish me luck!

dooobedooo
06-05-2005, 06:09 PM
I could just about handle the speed OK, but the depth of edge caught me a bit unawares ... wheeee .....

skaternum
06-05-2005, 06:22 PM
I've done a few pairs moves with a former World medalist, during a pairs lesson. Let's just say that I learned new respect for centrifugal force! :)

Michigansk8er
06-05-2005, 06:55 PM
I'm hoping to this summer. I'll know more in a week.........depends on whether or not he will come to our rink to coach a few days a week. Here's hoping!

sk8er1964
06-05-2005, 07:02 PM
I'm hoping to this summer. I'll know more in a week.........depends on whether or not he will come to our rink to coach a few days a week. Here's hoping!

I hope he does, Michigansk8er. He's divine to dance with, and from what I can tell from the very short time I worked with him and saw him work with others, his personality is great and he's a good coach.

(OT - it's storming something firece here right now. Hopefully it's ok where you are.)

TashaKat
06-05-2005, 11:47 PM
Yep :D

It was great in lessons, I could just about keep up with him :) BUT when the outfit went on, the music started and there was only us on the ice he went up a notch and BOY were those edges deep and the speed fast! Even one of my judges commented to him that I wasn't taking my Gold dances (that's when Gold meant GOLD in the UK).

It's nice though, the hold is great and you feel like you're floating (when you get it right otherwise you can feel like you're being dragged).

CanAmSk8ter
06-06-2005, 05:05 PM
Yup. My coach went to Worlds twice, recently enough that I can remember watching him and his partner on TV. I aboslutely love skating with him, because he expects a lot of me and will really push me on the speed and edge depth (I'm working on my last Silver and my Pre-Golds) but I feel completely secure skating with him.

flo
06-07-2005, 09:33 AM
I've also practiced with a few elite pairs partners. While in the lifts you can't feel any of his steps, it's very smooth - like flying. It's been great fun.

batikat
06-07-2005, 09:54 AM
My coach was Polish champion and went to the Olympics in '94, (came 10th I believe with his partner). I don't get the chance to skate with him very often as he thinks we should be doing the lower dances solo to make you stronger but now and again (if you beg!) he will dance with you and it is fantastic - definitely like flying. He doesn't believe in giving any quarter for the fact you are not Olympic standard too - he just goes for it. I don't do much dance at the moment but just thinking about dancing with him makes me want to do dance again!

Mel On Ice
06-07-2005, 10:03 AM
congrats Marie! You are inspiring me to practice the lower dance tests if only to accomplish a few laps around the rink with a few fine gentlemen.

Perry
06-07-2005, 12:04 PM
I've been lucky enough to partner with senior level dancers since I started. I've gone through about six or seven (since none live near me), but my current one was a two-time Russian national champion. It's good, since I need all the help I can get on the Yankee Polka...

icedancer2
06-07-2005, 01:17 PM
sk8r1964 --

I think what you experienced with your elite dancer is what we all love about dance! Hope he has inspired you to continue in dance, because, believe me, the dances get better the further along you go (and infinitely more fun!!)

The first time I did the Rocker Foxtrot with a very good (not quite elite) dancer, I couldn't believe how that Rocker turn felt!! Wowie!!

My coach back in Boston was an international and National competitor -- I absolutely love skating with him. When I moved, he said to me, "Well, you will find someone to coach you, but you will never find anyone as good as me!" We both cracked up when he said that, but then I said, "You know, you're probably right." He said, "Yeah, I probably am."

And it's true, I haven't found anyone as good as him -- yet! Still hoping and praying...

Have fun with your dances!

pennybeagle
06-07-2005, 05:15 PM
My first dance coach, with whom I worked for about 6 lessons before moving to another state, was a senior international dancer, just two years out of retiring from elite competition. When I resumed dancing, I had the opposite experience--the first time I partnered with another adult skater, I had the hardest time getting used to the absence of speed and deep lobes. We crashed several times, into each other, into the boards, etc...and this was on the preliminary dances! Ahh, well. I'm used to it now.

sk8er1964
06-07-2005, 09:16 PM
sk8r1964 --

I think what you experienced with your elite dancer is what we all love about dance! Hope he has inspired you to continue in dance, because, believe me, the dances get better the further along you go (and infinitely more fun!!)

:lol: I want to know if he has a 20 year older brother who happens to want to skate with a 40 year old adult skater! :lol:

You hit the nail on the head. I am going back to serious freestyle for now (the dancing was mainly to allow me to rest a hamstring injury after AN), but I will be doing them again. I might slip in a dance at a time over the summer. :)

icedancer2
06-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Oh, yeah -- you are SO HOOKED!!

But have fun with freestyle, too of course!! :)