View Full Version : The story about figure skates and air flight

Figureskates
06-05-2005, 09:54 AM
I spent yesterday in Connecticut and had a chance to talk about taking figure skates onboard airline flights with my borther-in-law who is a surpervisor for the TSA at Bradley Field in Connecticut. He oversees the whole screening operation.

He told me that figure skates are not sepecifically listed as a band item on carry ons. He said things like cue sticks and the like are.

What he suggested is the following:

1) Wear your club jacket when you check in.

2) Have a copy of your competiton forms with you, or if you are going to a camp like Lake PLacid, Hackensack, and the like.

He sez that is usually enough to convince the folks who do the checking in to allow you to take your skates with you.

If they still balk, ask to talk to a supervisor. They are more sauve of the regulations and have a little more degree of latitude in granting carry ons.

If you guys have any specific questions, I will ask my B-I-L. He is pretty knowledgeable of the skate issue since his daugher is a figure skater and flys with her skates.

CanAmSk8ter
06-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Good timing on that- thanks! I'll be flying out of Bradley next week and I was going to start making phone calls tomorrow to try and pin down whether I could bring the skates on board.

starskate6.0
06-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Im a pilot with US Air. In the past month i have spoken to several TSA supervisers and Yes , skates are not on the list of prohibited items, However,...I have no idea what every agent at these check points know about there own list, it seems some have a problem and some don't , Ill let you know about it tomorrow Im going to Germany. ;)

As we pilots like to say... " don't ask me , Im just a driver".