View Full Version : Frustrations with skater butt

sue123
06-04-2005, 08:30 PM
It seems that I may have developed over these months a skaters butt and thighs. I went with my family to the outlet malls today, I could not find one pair of pants to fit me well. If it fit my waist, it was too tight on my thighs. If it fit my thighs and hips, it was way too big on the waist. The only pants I bought was a pair of sweat pants. Frustrations.

cutiesk8r43
06-04-2005, 09:26 PM
I feel your frustration :frus: only my mom sews . so if I buy jeans that are good on the thighs my mom just takes in the waist and hems the legs of the pants :D .but my dad still complains my jeans are too tight :giveup:
~cutie ;)

*IceDancer1419*
06-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Is there something WRONG with skater butts/thighs? :P

TashaKat
06-04-2005, 10:33 PM
I can relate to what you're saying but then I'm that basic shape anyway (narrow waist, broader hips) so it's always been impossible for me to get clothes. I don't think that we can blame the skaters butt/thighs, at least we have a butt and it doesn't slide down the back of our legs as we get older :D

If only clothes manufacturers would wake up to the fact that real women have CURVES, it doesn't matter how big or small we are we DO tend to go in at the waist, we're not straight from the waist to the knee! Ok, so Supermodels may be shaped like adolescent males but it's the Supermodels that are different not us!

Have you tried getting a pair of knee boots recently? I've got size 4.5 feet with muscular (but not out of proportion) calves. I can't get a single pair of boots that isn't made for a 10 year old! They seem to think that size 4.5 = child with twiglet legs :evil:

Chico
06-04-2005, 11:00 PM
As a married skater I can tell you that my husband likes athletic legs and tush. =-) Being in good shape isn't a bad thing. Love your body, you couldn't skate without it!

Chico

Anita18
06-05-2005, 01:21 AM
It seems that I may have developed over these months a skaters butt and thighs. I went with my family to the outlet malls today, I could not find one pair of pants to fit me well. If it fit my waist, it was too tight on my thighs. If it fit my thighs and hips, it was way too big on the waist. The only pants I bought was a pair of sweat pants. Frustrations.
Yup, I've definitely had this happen to me. At one point I wouldn't wear anything but loose jeans and yoga pants since my butt/thighs were so big. Even now, my pants size is 6 sizes larger than my dress/top size. It's pretty ridiculous, LOL.

Shinn-Reika
06-05-2005, 03:13 AM
As a married skater I can tell you that my husband likes athletic legs and tush. =-) Being in good shape isn't a bad thing. Love your body, you couldn't skate without it!

Chico
I know I'm taking a risk by saying this, but I second that.

Perry
06-05-2005, 06:52 AM
I don't have any hips either, so it's even worse. I haven't been able to buy properly fitting pants since I was five...

crayonskater
06-05-2005, 08:27 AM
I have always had muscular thighs and a butt; and then I took up fencing, which works both of those, and then I started skating.

So the butt is here to stay! Celebrate it! -- you don't have stick legs and a flat butt, and that's something to be proud of.

As far as pants, I always had the problem of my waist being a lot smaller (and I really don't have hips, just a butt). Plus, I'm short -- and so if I go up to a size six, I get too much pant leg!

With low-rise pants the problem is less severe; also the cut is important. Don't know how old you are, but the Limited has a couple of cuts that are curvy in the thigh (in a non-frumpy way); if you're a poor student like me, well, there are sales. :)

dbny
06-05-2005, 04:04 PM
Skaters have good butts, and it's a sign of good health too!

Re finding pants that fit better, try Gloria Vanderbilt, and stick to stretch fabrics.

skaternum
06-05-2005, 06:24 PM
I've simply given up finding pants off-the-rack that fit. I either order custom pants from Lands End, or I buy pants big enough to fit the booty and have the waist altered. Expensive, but worth it to have a Lucky Booty to die for! :lol:

Casey
06-05-2005, 09:41 PM
I know I'm taking a risk by saying this, but I second that.
Hahaha...well...I have to concur, but ask: who wouldn't?

luna_skater
06-06-2005, 01:52 PM
I've been skating my whole life, and have no complaints about my skater's body. I have the same problem with the waist-to-butt ratio when shopping for jeans. I've found that low-rise fit better, as someone else mentioned, and I've had a lot of luck with American Eagle jeans.

MannyisHOT
06-06-2005, 04:44 PM
i have it terrible... i had a big butt to begin with and ow i have a skating butt... i had big thighs and now they are bigger and i had big calves and now they are bigger... the calves from ballet...

Elsy2
06-06-2005, 10:53 PM
I have to say it's mostly genetics at play here. Any sport that emphasizes leg strength may give you that great athletic butt and thighs! My daughter complains she has no butt......and she skated 15 hours a week for several years. She's right...I'd hate to think how flat her butt would be without skating.

Think of it this way.....some people are actually having their butts injected with extra fat 8O So skating has given us a non-surgical Brazilian butt lift!

doubletoe
06-09-2005, 08:02 PM
Yeah, if you get stretch fabrics and pants that are cut very low (like a 7.5" rise), the hip-to-waist ratio won't come into play so much. Also, I think places like the Gap have different cuts of jeans. "Relaxed fit" means roomier in the thighs.

figuresktr17
06-19-2005, 09:28 PM
I feel all of y'all's pain. Not only do i have a sk8r's butt and thighs, but im hispanic 2! whenever i buy jeans they absolutely have 2 b stretch. ive found that high waists make my butt look even bigger so i would stay away from them. extra low waists r sumwhat flattering but i find them uncomfortable. My faves r the super low rise stretch jeans from American Eagle and the stretch jeans from Glo by JLo.

happy jeans shopping! ;)

dbny
06-19-2005, 10:39 PM
Think of it this way.....some people are actually having their butts injected with extra fat 8O So skating has given us a non-surgical Brazilian butt lift!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not only do i have a sk8r's butt and thighs, but im hispanic 2!

Then you should know that Hispanic men like nice butts! My hubby is Cuban and I've never had any complaints in that department :lol:

Casey
06-19-2005, 11:23 PM
Haha girls well I have to join the complainers in this thread, even as a guy. :P

I have a few pairs of jeans but I don't wear jeans very often at all, and never since I started skating.

Well yesterday I go to put on a pair of jeans from my closet, and it was tough fitting into them because my thighs have gotten bigger and barely fit. But of course the waste wasn't tight, and had some spare room.

Meh. Well, at least all my others still fit okay (they're roomier), I think.

Andie
06-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Even before skating I had a bigger butt and calves (all thanks to my mom), and now my thighs/butt seem even bigger so I also have a problem with fit of jeans. My bust is slightly bigger-than-average, so I'm proportioned well I guess.

I'm not fond of super low cut pants because a lot of them look trashy. They also can make your legs appear shorter.

Blosmbubbs
06-20-2005, 02:51 AM
I love the skater's butt on guys, they are so freakin hott!!!!!!! ;)

Mrs Redboots
06-20-2005, 05:13 AM
I love the skater's butt on guys, they are so freakin hott!!!!!!! ;)Seconded, thirded, fourthed, and fifthed! Male skaters are quite delicious from behind - especially My Husband!!!!

Mind you, the amount of fat you carry does make a difference. My daughter, seeing me for the first time for a couple of months, was like, "Mummy, where's your bum gone?"

Figureskates
06-20-2005, 05:50 AM
Another male chiming in here.

Since I started skating, my thighs have gotten bigger and my waist smaller.

What my wife has to do is get me slacks that fit my thighs then bring in the waist which is 31. Unfortunately my butt is not that well padded which is obvious with the nice bruises I get from time to time.

Mel On Ice
06-20-2005, 12:19 PM
I've got skater foot! Since I started skating, my foot has gotten wider, making buying shoes for a foot already pretty wide near impossible.

TashaKat
06-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Seconded, thirded, fourthed, and fifthed! Male skaters are quite delicious from behind

and sixthed, seventhed, eighthed and ninthed :) I have the best of both worlds because male horse riders have absolutely sublime thighs and bums too and they're encased in breeches .... heaven :)

stardust skies
06-21-2005, 03:12 PM
Well, skating shouldn't make you bigger. You should have more defined muscles, thigh muscles for example, and perhaps a firmer behind, but it shouldn't be BIGGER because you should be losing fat as you gain muscle. Building muscle on top of fat is not a good thing (not saying you HAVE any fat, just that if you are only definining your muscles, unless you're trying to become a body builder, it's not going to alter your pant size *unless* you're building on top of fat). I have pretty large muscles for a girl, but I'm actually smaller than most of my non skating friends. I think that sometimes, skaters make excuses when they don't fit in their clothes by saying it's "because of skating" that their legs are bigger or something. I know I had a friend like that at one point- she said she was getting skater's thighs but she skated maybe 2 hours a week. The truth is, she was just gaining weight. Make sure you balance all that skating with cardio so that you lose fat as you build muscle, otherwise you'll just end up bulky. Skating definitely shouldn't be making you buy bigger clothing sizes.

Just my thoughts!

*IceDancer1419*
06-21-2005, 03:53 PM
Ummmm but if you start out without much leg at ALL, if you're building a bunch of muscle, your legs will get bigger... because, it's adding muscle and muscle mass.... right? I mean, I've never had much fat on my legs, and I still don't, but my legs are certainly larger and more muscular (not much larger, actually... and they have less fat than before, so... I don't know!)

If you're skating fast does that end up being cardio? I've always wondered... becasue I certainly feel MY heart pumpgin! :lol: ;)

stardust skies
06-22-2005, 12:35 AM
Well, the muscles are always in your legs, even if they are not developed. And usually, a bit of a protuding muscle would not change your clothing size even if it made a small chunk of your leg larger. I'm just saying it sounds like something more than just that.

As far as cardio- yeah, skating's plentyyyy of cardio. I read somewhere that a high level freestyle skater burns about 500 calories per hour. Which means I burn 1,500 cals everyday. I don't even eat 1,500 worth of cals. This is why I'm saying you can't gain weight even if you do build some muscle. You should lose weight, so it about evens out. But this is just my take on it. Clearly, I'm no doctor. Nor did I ever do that well in science, heh. ;)

TashaKat
06-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Some people are more 'prone' to building muscle than others. I build muscle quite easily for a female. Some people could skate for 5 hours a day 7 days a week and still not get a skaters butt. It's down to the individual make up of each person.

Well, skating shouldn't make you bigger.

The truth is, she was just gaining weight. Make sure you balance all that skating with cardio so that you lose fat as you build muscle, otherwise you'll just end up bulky. Skating definitely shouldn't be making you buy bigger clothing sizes.

Skating CAN make you bigger, certainly your thighs, calves and butt. Increasing muscle mass means that you are bigger. Ok, it's not 'bad' (ie fat) bigger but bigger. Look at body builders, even without using steroids they build their muscles and increase their size.

Depending on the cardio that you do you can also build muscle, I build leg and butt muscle doing aerobics, for example. Cardio helps in fighting the fat but isn't going to decrease muscle mass.

The best thing for helping to streamline your muscles and not letting them get bulky is to STRETCH correctly. I was always leaner when I was dancing, I gave up cardio stuff years ago because it was boring (for me) and I got bigger doing it (which was contrary to what I was wanting).

I read somewhere that a high level freestyle skater burns about 500 calories per hour. Which means I burn 1,500 cals everyday. I don't even eat 1,500 worth of cals. This is why I'm saying you can't gain weight even if you do build some muscle.

If you're exercising that much and not even eating 1,500 calories a day then you aren't eating enough. You have to eat the correct amounts and eat healthily or your body won't be able to cope with the workload and you'll end up sick.

Also, muscle weighs heavier than fat so in laying down more muscle you can be a smaller clothes size but weigh heavier ie you CAN gain weight when you build muscle.

samba
06-22-2005, 02:48 AM
I have skated for more years than I care to remember and didnt notice one muscle in my body, however since starting dance this year I can feel these bumpy things in my thighs I was worried and asked my coach and surprise they are muscles, fortunately you cant actualy see them with the naked eye yet, if that does happen the dance will have to go!!

sk8pics
06-22-2005, 05:56 AM
As far as cardio- yeah, skating's plentyyyy of cardio. I read somewhere that a high level freestyle skater burns about 500 calories per hour. Which means I burn 1,500 cals everyday. I don't even eat 1,500 worth of cals. This is why I'm saying you can't gain weight even if you do build some muscle. You should lose weight, so it about evens out. But this is just my take on it. Clearly, I'm no doctor. Nor did I ever do that well in science, heh. ;)

Well, sure, if you skated non-stop you would get a cardiovascular workout, but that's not what figure skaters do. Not the ones I know, anyway! There is too much stopping and starting and it's not really a good cardio workout. Sure, you run your program and then maybe you do laps, but still that only takes up at most 5-10 minutes and that's not a good cardio workout.

And the same thing goes for thinking about how many calories you burn. I would be interested in seeing the article (if it's on line) where you saw that a high level freestyler is burning 500 calories an hour. I wonder if it means that if you were to skate at a high intensity continuously you would be able to burn that much, but of course, people don't do that. Even when I was playing squash, where you would run continuously for an hour, they said it only burned around 600 calories in an hour.

I also think that skaters can look small but it's the proportions that sometimes can get a little out of whack. Sure, some people may be over-eating, but you definitely can increase the discrepency between your waist and your hips.

Pat

skaternum
06-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Well, the muscles are always in your legs, even if they are not developed. And usually, a bit of a protuding muscle would not change your clothing size even if it made a small chunk of your leg larger. I'm just saying it sounds like something more than just that.After about a year of pairs, I started to notice that a couple of muscles in my forearms were getting bigger. All my long sleeved leotards and skating dresses got too right below my elbows. I actually split a couple of the seams open. I thought this was totally freaky, but didn't put it together with the pairs lifts until my coach said, "Oh, you're getting pair skater arm muscles." Duh! The lady who makes a lot of my practice dresses has had to change all my patterns. I feel like Popeye!!

Mrs Redboots
06-22-2005, 11:03 AM
And the same thing goes for thinking about how many calories you burn. I would be interested in seeing the article (if it's on line) where you saw that a high level freestyler is burning 500 calories an hour. I wonder if it means that if you were to skate at a high intensity continuously you would be able to burn that much, but of course, people don't do that. Even when I was playing squash, where you would run continuously for an hour, they said it only burned around 600 calories in an hour.

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/ and check under "Ice skating, general". But I actually agree, it is a vast overestimate. I know when I ate without thinking I got very fat, even though I was skating regularly. Now I watch what I eat - and have added some off-ice training into the mix, although still no cardio, although I do try to do some "aerobic" ice skating each session - and have lost near on 45 lbs.....

jazzpants
06-22-2005, 02:18 PM
http://www.caloriesperhour.com/ and check under "Ice skating, general". But I actually agree, it is a vast overestimate. I know when I ate without thinking I got very fat, even though I was skating regularly. Now I watch what I eat - and have added some off-ice training into the mix, although still no cardio, although I do try to do some "aerobic" ice skating each session - and have lost near on 45 lbs.....WOO HOO!!! 595 calories in 1 hr 30 min here!!! :mrgreen:

No measurement for elliptical trainer but I'll bet skating is still much better!!! :twisted:

crayonskater
06-22-2005, 03:41 PM
Whether you bulk up or not is going to depend on a couple things:
a) Your overall body shape and your own muscles' tendency to build bulk. If I start even a high-intensity cardio program, my legs will bulk up. It's not fat -- you can see the muscle definition on the sides of my legs; but if I wanted to lose weight (5'4'', 125) I would have to lose muscle mass and severely restrict my caloric intake.

My arms, on the other hand? I weight train; I can lift more than I used to. My arms have more definition. But they stayed relatively small.

b) Whether you're doing other cardio to burn fat. I find skating to be a somewhat low intensity workout; I realize I'm a beginner, but so are a lot of people on these boards, and I just am not good enough to go tearing around at high speed for two hours. And if all you do is add muscle but don't reduce fat, you will get a bit bulky at first.

c) Age. They used to tell the kids in high school not to seriously weight train before they were 14; not only can it be dangerous for a growing skeleton, but you just don't build muscle as easily then, I think.

Check out pictures of Michelle Kwan from when she was 13 and bopping around against Kerrigan and Harding and now, when she's 25. Her legs are strong but skinny then; now she has a lot more curvy muscle.

d) To be honest, the biggest difference I noticed in myself during skating wasn't my legs, but my arms -- I have amazing shoulder definition now. :) All that posture work.

diagetus
06-22-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm afraid I can't chime in about the skater's butt. I have chicken legs. :oops: However, I do have a suggestion for those who have this condition that is both a blessing and an affliction. For my chicken legs, I buy wide cut jeans. Traditional cut jeans emphasize my chicken legs and it looks like I walking on stilts underneath my jeans. Add on some modern day basketball sneakers and I look something like Frankenstein. To give the illusion of looking fuller in the leg, I buy dress pants and jeans that are wider from the mid-leg down to the cuff. To prevent the Frankenstein foot appearance, I wear shoes that are low to the ground like soccer shoes (Sambas are one of my favorites). I suspect that most of the posters on this forum are trying to fit into traditional cut jeans like Levi's 501's or something. That probably isn't going to work out. If you try a wide leg jean like Levi's Loose Leg or Boot Leg, I'm sure you'll find the waist has sufficient room. As far as the legs, you'd be hard pressed to fill out a Loose Leg jean (given the proper leg length). Also look for "low-waist" jeans. These types of jeans fit a little bit lower on your waist so you aren't trying to fit fabric around a really tiny waist and then make it abruptly stretch to fit around your "delicious" gluteus-maximii.

*IceDancer1419*
06-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Well, when I skate around I'm usually going through field moves CONSTANTLY for quite a while, and my heart starts beating up a storm :roll:

And... if you're eating less than 1500 calories in a day with that exercise, all you're going to do is lose muscle, which, I assure you, will not help much ;) (been there, done that...)

I think the amount you burn will depend on the person. I tend to, I think, burn a lot of calories; I have a relatively fast metabolism, somewhat naturally. :) As you get older, your metabolism slows down, even if you do exercise, and sometimes your body gets used to the exercise and doesn't really take it into account anymore, so to speak. ;) Anyway.

I saw this article once that said that skating in CIRCLES for an hour (if you weigh aroudn 150 pounds or something) would burn 300-400 calories... and then, if you add crossovers, fancy stuff ;) lol it was more like 600-700... it used to be on a website, but now 'tis gone. sigh.

dbny
06-22-2005, 10:04 PM
Well, when I skate around I'm usually going through field moves CONSTANTLY for quite a while, and my heart starts beating up a storm :roll:

And... if you're eating less than 1500 calories in a day with that exercise, all you're going to do is lose muscle, which, I assure you, will not help much ;) (been there, done that...)

Not if you're female, 58, and 5'3" short. In that case you can eat 1200 calories a day, skate, and still lose nothing but your patience!

*IceDancer1419*
06-22-2005, 10:09 PM
Well, I guess, but if you're young and skating 3 hours a day... like I said, some peopel burn more than others, I think age/weight are both large factors there. :)

Mrs Redboots
06-23-2005, 01:33 PM
Not if you're female, 58, and 5'3" short. In that case you can eat 1200 calories a day, skate, and still lose nothing but your patience!You're probably eating too little - try adding another 250 calories a day, and you may find the weight starts to shift again. If you eat too little, your body hangs on to every scrap it can find.....

jazzpants
06-23-2005, 02:29 PM
Not if you're female, 58, and 5'3" short. In that case you can eat 1200 calories a day, skate, and still lose nothing but your patience!You're probably eating too little - try adding another 250 calories a day, and you may find the weight starts to shift again. If you eat too little, your body hangs on to every scrap it can find.....I hear 'ya DBNY...but unfortunately what Annabel says is true. If you consume too little food, it goes into "starvation mode." At that point, eating a bit more calories is the only way of kick starting the body's "furnace" again. Also, if you don't consume enough calories, you won't have as much energy for doing physical things (like skating!!!) that will help you burn off those calories anyway.

And you are so NOT 5' 3"!!! *I* am 5' 3"!!! (Well, more 5' 3.5!" I measured myself on the scale with the height thing...LOL!!!) :twisted:

The other thing to consider is if you have other physical factors contributing to it. Some people are just naturally able to keep their weight down. Others they can workout 'til the cows come home and not lose any weight... And you know the old story about how one's metabolism slows down after 35... :roll: (Also, if you have diabetes... you'll have a harder time losing weight too...)

Other things, you may be gaining MUSCLE. Pilates will help make the legs nice and slim but still keep the legs strong (so they say anyway...I got thick thighs!) :P

dbny
06-23-2005, 02:51 PM
I hear 'ya DBNY...but unfortunately what Annabel says is true. If you consume too little food, it goes into "starvation mode." At that point, eating a bit more calories is the only way of kick starting the body's "furnace" again. Also, if you don't consume enough calories, you won't have as much energy for doing physical things (like skating!!!) that will help you burn off those calories anyway.

And you are so NOT 5' 3"!!! *I* am 5' 3"!!! (Well, more 5' 3.5!" I measured myself on the scale with the height thing...LOL!!!) :twisted:

Well, I have varied my caloric intake enough to know that it's not starvation mode that's keeping me from getting svelte again. I also am not actually on the ice 3 hrs a day, though I wish I were.

I AM SO 5' 3" and have been all my adult life (well, it used to be 5' 3.5" like you, but I think age has taken its toll there). Judging heights against another can be deceptive, especially when wearing skates.

jazzpants
06-23-2005, 03:49 PM
Well, I have varied my caloric intake enough to know that it's not starvation mode that's keeping me from getting svelte again. I also am not actually on the ice 3 hrs a day, though I wish I were.

I AM SO 5' 3" and have been all my adult life (well, it used to be 5' 3.5" like you, but I think age has taken its toll there). Judging heights against another can be deceptive, especially when wearing skates.Tell 'ya what... next time we meet (probably when I need to visiting the in-laws in NYC again...Gawd, I love visiting there!!!) one of us should bring a retractable tape measure (the ones you use in measuring walls in the home...) We'll both step on the tape measure and measure how talk we really are (sans skates but wearing tennis shoes...) Deal? :mrgreen: (I'd be curious...)

As for the weight thing: It could be just about ANYTHING from thyroid to just plain genetics. It's hard to say. (But I don't think you have anything to worry about DBNY. You're slim!) And my feet can barely handle two hours... No way I'm going for 3 hours straight!!! :P :twisted:

MQSeries
06-23-2005, 04:46 PM
Well, skating shouldn't make you bigger. You should have more defined muscles, thigh muscles for example, and perhaps a firmer behind, but it shouldn't be BIGGER because you should be losing fat as you gain muscle. Building muscle on top of fat is not a good thing (not saying you HAVE any fat, just that if you are only definining your muscles, unless you're trying to become a body builder, it's not going to alter your pant size *unless* you're building on top of fat). I have pretty large muscles for a girl, but I'm actually smaller than most of my non skating friends. I think that sometimes, skaters make excuses when they don't fit in their clothes by saying it's "because of skating" that their legs are bigger or something. I know I had a friend like that at one point- she said she was getting skater's thighs but she skated maybe 2 hours a week. The truth is, she was just gaining weight. Make sure you balance all that skating with cardio so that you lose fat as you build muscle, otherwise you'll just end up bulky. Skating definitely shouldn't be making you buy bigger clothing sizes.

Just my thoughts!

I tend to agree with this. The elite competitive skaters tend to do a lot of weight training also. That combined with skating 6+ hours per day, 5-6 times per week, give some of the skaters great musculature (sp?) in the thigh and buttock area.

For the average adult skater, a "skater's butt" is normally due to gaining weight. I mean if you skate and train hard enough to get a true skater butt then you should only see cut muscle definition in your lower body. No jiggly area or cellulite should be noticeable.

skaternum
06-24-2005, 09:37 AM
For the average adult skater, a "skater's butt" is normally due to gaining weight. I mean if you skate and train hard enough to get a true skater butt then you should only see cut muscle definition in your lower body. No jiggly area or cellulite should be noticeable.I think I'm insulted, but I'm not sure.

Not sure what your definition of "average adult skater" is, but going by my definition, I have to respectfully disagree. Gaining weight? The average adult skater doesn't gain weight; the average adult skater loses weight and builds muscle. I'm an average adult skater; I got my skater butt the old fashioned way -- I earned it.

MusicSkateFan
06-24-2005, 09:41 AM
I like what skating has done for the rear view, beleive me...combine skating 4-5 sessions per week along with 500lb 6 rep squats 3-4 days a week and one can get a pretty solid rear profile! :) 8-) :P

stardust skies
06-24-2005, 03:26 PM
I guess all I meant to say is that...if you're toning and building muscle, then you will see a different in firmness and shape, but not so drastic that you'll need a bigger pant size. *Especially* for the butt. Legs are debatable, I mean if you like super tight pants I guess developing your thigh muscles might make 'em too tight, but it just seems rather extreme, especially for someone who isn't skating at a high level for 25 hours a week or anything.

The reason I mentioned it is because I know I have in the past thought I was "toning" when really, I was doing too much weightlifting, not enough cardio, and eating too many carbs which just made me bulk up, aka gain weight, and that's not what you want, so I didn't want anyone to think getting a drastically bigger butt and thighs (to the point of not fitting into your clothes) was something normal from this sport. It's easier to catch a problem if you notice it early. I debated posting it because I didn't want it to sound offensive, but I hope this opposite opinion might help. If it doesn't, feel free to disregard. :)

Mrs Redboots
06-24-2005, 03:52 PM
The reason I mentioned it is because I know I have in the past thought I was "toning" when really, I was doing too much weightlifting, not enough cardio, and eating too many carbs which just made me bulk up, aka gain weight, and that's not what you want, so I didn't want anyone to think getting a drastically bigger butt and thighs (to the point of not fitting into your clothes) was something normal from this sport. It's easier to catch a problem if you notice it early. I debated posting it because I didn't want it to sound offensive, but I hope this opposite opinion might help. If it doesn't, feel free to disregard. :)What I do disagree with is your implication that weightlifting and eating carbs making you gain weight is gaining fat! It's probably not - it's muscle (from the weightlifting). Muscle weighs more than fat, but takes up less room.

Friend of mine was given a rowing-machine for Christmas. Within 3 months she had put on 7 lbs - but her trousers were falling off! Another friend, a skater, had upped the intensity of her skating and off-ice training, and told me she had gained weight. Well, there is no fat on her at all - so I asked how her trousers were fitting? She realised that they were too loose.... she may have put on weight, but she had lost fat. A very desirable outcome!

We shouldn't just go by what the scales say, but by how our clothes are fitting and what the tape-measure says.

crayonskater
06-24-2005, 04:11 PM
Some more thoughts!

1) I don't think MQSeries was being offensive; if you are getting radically bigger while skating it's probably due to either a) you're not really getting a cardio workout, but you ARE building muscle (and with luck, the fat will drop off in time as your metabolism increases) or b) having been an adult and maybe not terribly active, your muscles are growing for the first time in a long time, so any change seems huge.

I read MQ as just saying 'Hey, if you're skating two hours a week, what you've got isn't the same skater butt that a competitive child has, you're probably just gaining weight.' And that I don't think applies to anyone here, but it is a human tendency (think of all the couch potato guys claiming they just have more muscle mass, and that's why they're heavy!)

2) The adult skaters I know are on the younger end of adult, so those with skater butts are definitely not claiming that poufy butts are skater butts. I imagine this is true for most adults.

3) I would agree that at least in my limited experience, you're not going to go up a pants-size UNLESS this is really your first time building muscle ever; you can gain a lot of muscle without needing to go up a dress size -- I was ten pounds heavier when I was in college and I still wear all the same clothes now. I am somewhat slimmer but it's not noticeable even in photos. Which I think means I need a new wardrobe more than anything.

Mrs. Redboots is totally right! The scale only tells half the story.

4) Kids are different than adults. If you've been skating your whole life, any changes skating did to you also happened while you were hitting your growth spurts, etc. (You probably went up pants-sizes, but you were just getting older, ya know? Maybe you would have been a chubby eight year old otherwise and would have NOTICED a new skaterbutt.) If you start as an adult, you can tell all changes are due to skating (or whatever new activity you have.)

MQSeries
06-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Some more thoughts!

1)
I read MQ as just saying 'Hey, if you're skating two hours a week, what you've got isn't the same skater butt that a competitive child has, you're probably just gaining weight.' And that I don't think applies to anyone here, but it is a human tendency (think of all the couch potato guys claiming they just have more muscle mass, and that's why they're heavy!)

Yes, that's what I was trying to say. The typical adult skater doesn't have the time nor the money to train and cross-train at the intensive level of an elite skater. Their pleasing shapes come from training at a high intensity on a daily basis, several hours a day.

You might be on the ice a couple of hours a week and probably sweat like crazy after each training session but realisticly, inspite of what you sometimes like to tell yourself, it's still no where near the level on an elite skater's training. If your pants no longer fit, I just don't think you're being honest with yourself if your immediate thought is " skating gave me skating butt so that's why my pants don't fit anymore."