View Full Version : What kind of skates do you have?

*IceDancer1419*
06-03-2005, 10:25 PM
I'm really just curious. I have an insane interest in other peoples' skates :roll:

I loooove my skates. They're SP Teri Super Teri... I *think* Deluxe. I got them SLIGHTLY used off ebay for $170, so I was pretty happy ;) And I have Ultima Synchro blades, which I also love... took a few skates to get used to them, but they're great! I like the shorter heel... less catching my skates on my dance partner ;) :P

Another reason I like my skates is... they have RHINESTONES around the heel!!! When my teacher waterproofed them (polyurethane, I think) she put rhinestones on in a "line" around the curve of the heel. (at my request).. they're really, really gorgeous. Just had to share :P I'm obsessed with my boots, lol. :P :roll:

SO, how about you?

TashaKat
06-03-2005, 11:41 PM
These are my babies (aka my Free boots):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Purple_boots.jpg

They're Custom Harlicks (double duo bond) (http://www.harlick.com) and I love them. They are my third pair of Harlicks and the only make of boot that I never get hurties from. All I need now is the time and the money to start skating again!

For Dance I have Wifa Super Goldstar (had the Diamonds but they killed my ankles) with MK Dance blades. I was going to swap to put my old custom Harlicks on but things didn't turn out http://www.cosgan.de/images/smilie/traurig/d035.gif

luna_skater
06-04-2005, 12:01 AM
I also have an strange, inexplicable obsession with the kind of skates people wear. :D I just got new skates, and they are my first pair of Gams. I got the 400 model, and so far they suit me perfectly. Love all the padding, and they feel great in the foot. I also like the heel height. I can bend well in them, but they don't feel like they will break down too quickly. The height of the boot is also perfect for me. I have Ultima Synchro blades as well, which I love to death. Will probably never switch!

jazzpants
06-04-2005, 12:06 AM
These are my babies (aka my Free boots):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/TashaKat/Purple_boots.jpg

They're Custom Harlicks (double duo bond) (http://www.harlick.com/) and I love them. They are my third pair of Harlicks and the only make of boot that I never get hurties from. All I need now is the time and the money to start skating again!Geez, those look like my boots too!!! In fact, I liked yours so much that I got me a pair JUST like it!!! :mrgreen:

Mine are also custom Harlicks -- double duo bond too! And like TashaKat, I LOVE my boots too!!! :mrgreen: I also have orthotics to deal with my lower back problems. And I'm willing to bet that TashaKat gets a lot of raves about her purple boots too. :P

I would LOVE to be able to afford gold colored Gold Star, but I ended up staying with MK Pros in the mean time! They're good for what I need to do for now and they're reasonably priced. :)

Andie
06-04-2005, 12:20 AM
My skates are Riedell 320 Bronze Stars, with MK 21 blades. I got them new back in October 2002, so the boots aren't nearly as stiff anymore but still serve their purpose. I skate an average of 1 1/2 to 3 hours a week. (I'm not sure if my skates have lasted longer than normal?)

My coach kinda wants me to get Jacksons next time, but I'm afraid of changing brands because I'm so used to Riedells.

Melzorina
06-04-2005, 03:44 AM
I've just got beginner skates, still on my first pair. I have Risport RF4's with MK Club 2000 blades. I quite like them, quite comfortable!

angelskates
06-04-2005, 06:29 AM
I have custom Klingbeils and Pattern 99 blades.

NickiT
06-04-2005, 06:44 AM
I have Gam 065's with MK Professional blades :) !

Nicki

Casey
06-04-2005, 06:53 AM
Graf Edmontons with MK Gold Star blades.

jenlyon60
06-04-2005, 07:55 AM
Klingbeils with Ultima Ascend blades

sue123
06-04-2005, 08:08 AM
I have Jackson, not sure of the model (I'm bad, but it gets worse) I also have Ultima blades, not sure of the mdel.

Cactus Bill
06-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Currently I'm in an off-the-shelf pair of Reidells (which I've noticed have a fit problem...more of this on another thread) with Club 2000 blades. But I'm anxiously awaiting a new pair of Harlicks (which should be in next week). They should hopefully solve the fit problem (but then I get to break them in...oh joy :roll: )

They aren't the double duo bond version (at least not yet...) and of course they are in boring black.

TashaKat
06-04-2005, 08:59 AM
They should hopefully solve the fit problem (but then I get to break them in...oh joy :roll: )

If they're anything like mine I didn't have an ounce of trouble breaking them in :) You do have to compare this to the tears, the bumps, lumps, pains, aches, agony that I had with other mames! Even the super duo concrete versions are really comfy.

dbny
06-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Custom Klingbeils and Coronation Aces.

Anita18
06-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Haha, this is kind of like my obsession with finding out the brand of every piano I see. It's like my way of subconsciously judging the establishment - Yamaha :?? Steinway :bow:

Anyway, I have SPTeri's ProTeri CL with MK Pro blades. Still in relatively good condition since I don't skate as much as I should, but they still feel great!

techskater
06-04-2005, 02:53 PM
Custom Harlick Quadra bonds (in standard white) with Phantom Parabolics. Four weeks in them and a lot of things are now better than with the broken down double duo bond custom Harlicks I had!

dbny
06-04-2005, 04:07 PM
Haha, this is kind of like my obsession with finding out the brand of every piano I see. It's like my way of subconsciously judging the establishment - Yamaha :?? Steinway :bow:

Steinway A, but no one in my house actually plays it. They all fool around a little, but that's it.

Skate@Delaware
06-04-2005, 04:18 PM
Jackson Competitor with Coronation Comet blades-boots are comfy and the blades whisper across the ice! I wasn't able to get my scratch spin until I had these blades.....

Figuresk8_katie
06-04-2005, 05:08 PM
Risport Super Diament with MK Professional Freestyle blades (coronation comets were too too wide :S)

jenlyon60
06-04-2005, 05:32 PM
FYI re Klingbeil boots, effective immediately, Klingbeil will be charging for certain extras on custom boots, similar to what SP Teri and Harlick have done for years.

I can't remember which "add-ons" have a surcharge, although I know there were 2 extra-charge add-ons when I ordered new boots today, for a final cost of $585 for the boots.

dbny
06-04-2005, 06:04 PM
FYI re Klingbeil boots, effective immediately, Klingbeil will be charging for certain extras on custom boots, similar to what SP Teri and Harlick have done for years.

I can't remember which "add-ons" have a surcharge, although I know there were 2 extra-charge add-ons when I ordered new boots today, for a final cost of $585 for the boots.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Anita18
06-04-2005, 07:22 PM
Steinway A, but no one in my house actually plays it. They all fool around a little, but that's it.
8O :!: :cry: *blubber*

Can I have it if nobody in your house is playing it? I've been stuck with a dinky out-of-tune Yamaha upright my entire life! :cry: :cry: I can play Rachmaninoff or Chopin or Debussy for you! One of the reasons I like staying in college instead of going home - I can practice on Steinway grands all I want!

Having a Steinway grand has always been on my list of "Dream items for my house." If I had a house, but I'm getting ahead of myself. :P My mom's been planning to get another piano now that they're getting a new house, but Steinways are friggin' $$$. No shame in getting a used piano though, I say.

My piano teacher in college got a beautiful one-of-a-kind Steinway grand from the 1800's for $4,000 from her piano-seller friend, because the person who sold it to him just wanted to be rid of it. They'd be :frus: :frus: :frus: if they knew what it was REALLY worth, LOL. She did tell me and I've forgotten, but I'm pretty sure at least $100,000. I need to make friends with a person who sells pianos, I think...

Oh, and "people who have fancy pianos but don't play on them" is definitely on my list of pet peeves as well. Sorry. :twisted:

Did I get off-topic yet? :giveup:

Cactus Bill
06-04-2005, 07:37 PM

Anita...have you tried one of the new Mason & Hamlins yet? The new AA is awesome!

sue123
06-04-2005, 08:28 PM

We have two pianos, although neither is in our apartment, they're both in my grandparents. When we moved, we have a smaller apartment, so we had no room for it, so my grandparents took the one that we had in our old house. But they already had a piano they bought over from Russia. It's really old, and travelling over water isn't the best for it, but it still sounds so awesome. A nice, big, strong sound, and ivory keys. The piano we had in our old house was a brand I had never seen anywhere else, called Young Chang. It's a white, upright piano that we've had to repair the pedals recently. We had a piano guy come who said he fixed it, but then 2 weeks later, it broke again, so my grandfather took the piano apart and fixed the pedals. It sounds and plays like a dream now.

But I once went into a Steinway shop, it was heaven. Maybe one day...

slusher
06-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Jackson Competitor (Canadian) with Mark IV blades. White.

Franz Schubert (Russian) piano. Black.

I'm a better skater than piano player although I love the Blues in both disciplines.

nerd_on_ice
06-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Custom Klingbeils with Ultima Protégé blades.

Piano purchase is on hold till we buy a house, which is on hold till I get a job, which is on hold till I finish my Ph.D., etc. :giveup:

skaternum
06-04-2005, 09:30 PM
Custom Klingbeils and MK Phantoms.

I'm really sad to hear about Klingbeil starting to charge extra for certain extras. Boo. Hiss.

*IceDancer1419*
06-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Does anyone konw WHAT they're starting to charge for? Just curious.

TashaKat
06-04-2005, 10:36 PM
Custom Harlick Quadra bonds (in standard white) with Phantom Parabolics. Four weeks in them and a lot of things are now better than with the broken down double duo bond custom Harlicks I had!

Crikey! You've just reminded me, my OLD boots are double duo, my NEW boots are quadra! They're still very comfortable though :D

Anita18
06-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Anita...have you tried one of the new Mason & Hamlins yet? The new AA is awesome!
I've never heard of that brand, strangely enough. I only know the pianos I've played on, mostly my dinky Yamaha and Steinways, which all of my teachers have had. Baldwin is also a pretty good brand I've played on, and my piano teacher at home even has a Bosendorfer, which is :bow: :bow: :bow: in my book because Tori Amos plays on them. She could have definitely bought a few cars with what she paid for the Bosendorfer...

Sounds like they're good quality though! Somethings tells me I need to go to a piano store sometime and just dink around.

I'm a MUCH better piano player than I am a skater, which really doesn't mean much, LOL. I'm just confident enough in my technique that I can put some real artistry in my playing, which I can't say for my skating, sooo... :)

MusicSkateFan
06-05-2005, 05:32 AM
8O By next week I will be in Graf Edmonton Specials with pattern 99 blades. I am still in sticker shock!!

I have been skating in a mid level Gam boot with Gam G3 blades. This blade is very rockered, I hope the new set up helps with my spins!

LoopLoop
06-05-2005, 08:10 AM
I've had two pairs of custom SP-Teris and have never been charged for any extras. That's one reason I went with Teri instead of Harlick the first time!

NoVa Sk8r
06-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Custom Klingbeils with Pattern 99 blades

(Still waiting to get my baby grand piano ...)

sk8er1964
06-05-2005, 01:08 PM
Klingbeil stock super-lites. I'll probably go custom next time, and most likely return to the regular boots as opposed to the super-lites. The super-lites are ok, but I liked my old boots better (I'm on my second pair of Klings). Ultima Elite blades.

No piano, just a flute. Son said he might be interested in playing the drums when he gets in middle school 8O .

NCSkater02
06-05-2005, 01:46 PM
Jackson Competitors and the Ultima Mirages that came with them. Works for me....at least for now.

Skate@Delaware
06-05-2005, 02:16 PM
Jackson Competitors and the Ultima Mirages that came with them. Works for me....at least for now.

That's what I started with--if you can afford it, get the Coronation Comets (or something comparable)! What a difference! WOW! (Although the Mirages are a step up from the Mark IV)....but I kept with the Competitors as they are so comfy.

Terri C
06-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I've had the SP Teri KT2 boots since last spring and got new Coranation Ace blades last fall, as my old Aces ran out of rocker!
I've never had a interest in playing a musical instrument- no piano for me.

dbny
06-05-2005, 04:01 PM
8O :!: :cry: *blubber*

Can I have it if nobody in your house is playing it? ...

Oh, and "people who have fancy pianos but don't play on them" is definitely on my list of pet peeves as well. Sorry. :twisted:

Did I get off-topic yet? :giveup:

Sorry, Anita. It's in the family and there is a tragedy attached to it. It has to stay in the family, and I'm hoping that someday one of my girls who dabbles will have a house of her own, take it, and get serious with it. Meanwhile, it loves to have guests tickle its ivories. If you're ever going to be in NYC, PM me and we can skate together, and you can entertain us with some Chopin.

Michigansk8er
06-05-2005, 07:18 PM
SP Teri customs with Pattern 99 blades. I think I'll try custom Klingbeil next time. Love my blades!

jestemkkool
06-05-2005, 08:06 PM
Custom Jacksons modeled after the Jackson Elite Supreme with a Wilson Jubilee Blade(hopefully getting an Ultima blade soon). Only thing I wish was differenty about my boots is the tongue - i dont care much for the foam.

Scarlett
06-05-2005, 09:32 PM
Riedell Silver medallians with Wilson Excel blades.

No piano but I did play a mean oboe and clarinet back in my day :)

icedancer2
06-05-2005, 10:09 PM
SP Teri Dance Boot with Super Dance 99 Blades (LOVE the blades!)

Piano is Electronic -- by Technic!

jazzpants
06-05-2005, 11:31 PM
Haha, this is kind of like my obsession with finding out the brand of every piano I see. It's like my way of subconsciously judging the establishment - Yamaha :?? Steinway :bow: I like Young Chang baby grands, myself. Keys are too big and the keys and the foot pedal isn't too difficult to press, like the Steinways. Yamaha doesn't feel right for me either. (Too bad for me, my family at the time can only afford a Kimball console upright... but at least I still have that piano now!) :mrgreen:

Oh, and I also have a Yamaha too... but it's an electronic keyboard (MIDI interface). That was supposed to be my composition keyboard!

sue123: Can I have your Young Chang please??? :P :lol: :P (Just kidding! I haven't played piano in YEARS.... and totally forgotten my classic piano training...never mind whatever rock and pop music I was playing around that time just so I could impress the kids in high school.)

sk8er1964: I used to play flute in high school too!!! :mrgreen:

mtj4500
06-06-2005, 05:55 AM
I think I get to be different from everyone so far ....
Belati Gold boots - really nice fit, no pain from day one and no sign of breaking down after a year of hard use.
John Watts Dance blades - everything you could want from a dance blade :)
No piano ;)

Mike

AuroraBorealis
06-06-2005, 09:21 AM
I have Jackson Competitor, the most advanced ones that still come with a blade. It took me a bit to get used to the larger toe picks (had Gam skates before and they broke down extremely fast), but now I love them! :)

And I used to have a grand piano, dating back from the days when one of my cousins was boarding with us and going to music school. ;)

Anita18
06-06-2005, 07:05 PM
Sorry, Anita. It's in the family and there is a tragedy attached to it. It has to stay in the family, and I'm hoping that someday one of my girls who dabbles will have a house of her own, take it, and get serious with it. Meanwhile, it loves to have guests tickle its ivories. If you're ever going to be in NYC, PM me and we can skate together, and you can entertain us with some Chopin.
Oh, that's totally understandable. I love it when pianos have histories. :) I was just referring to people who just have fancy, shiny grands just for the sake of having them pretty up the house.

My piano teacher with the old Steinway grand actually received a little history sheet from Steinway and Sons, since her tuner took one look at her piano and said he had to contact Steinway and let them know about the existence of that piano. It was that one-of-a-kind. So they sent her some information about where that piano had been, because pianos can be registered - it was commissioned by a buyer in Canada, then went to San Francisco where it stayed until she got it. :)