View Full Version : Coach help??

*IceDancer1419*
06-03-2005, 10:27 AM
hi,
This probably sounds stupid, but I'm having a wee bit of trouble with my coach. She just quit her day job to focus on akting as her job, which is ok, but the thing is that now she's almost over-charging (at least I think she is... but that's why I'm asking you! ;) )

The main thing is that my partner and I (and my partner is her son, which somewhat complicates matters) are testing the Canasta Tango on Sunday, and she's charging me for a full 1/2 hr. lesson for her to just be at the test. I think she'd probably be there anyway, though...
ALso, for peopel who do dance/pairs, do they charge full price for both students? I was just wondering, because of course she doesn't charge her son but charges me full price which I always thought a little odd.

I like my coach, and I can't really get "rid" of her seeing as I hav eto be on good terms with her to skate with her son... I was just wondering if this was as odd as it seemed to me, since I'm somewhat inexperienced with this so wanted to know from you more knowledgable people! :) Thanks!

phoenix
06-03-2005, 11:07 AM
I've always been charged a lesson fee for my coach to be w/ me at a test, unless I was taking a dance & the coach was partnering, in which case I've always paid a partnering fee (& which included the being there part).

I'm not sure about the lessons with a partner thing.......I would have assumed you'd split the lesson fee between the 2 of you, but maybe some coaches charge each student the full fee? I'm not sure.

TashaKat
06-03-2005, 11:48 AM
I would expect to pay for my coaches time. Even when I had a coach who didn't charge for tests I insisted on paying him for his time, it's only right and only fair. It's their job after all and if we expect them to give their time then we should expect to pay them.

My coaches used to work out time and expenses and charge accordingly.

I wouldn't expect your coach to charge her son though I wouldn't expect you to pay for him either.

sk8er1964
06-03-2005, 12:01 PM
My coach has a set fee for attending test sessions. If he has more than one student testing, we each pay same fee (I assume under a situation where two students are testing as partners, both students would pay the full fee).

The only time he cost shares between students is for competitions. He'll split out the travel costs, but we still all pay the same competition attendance fee.

skaternum
06-03-2005, 12:45 PM
Paying your coach for 30 minutes to be at your test session is perfectly reasonable. Your coach will have to be there before, during, and after your test, which would be just about 30 minutes.

I skate pairs. For a pairs lesson, the coach charges his usual hourly fee. Since there are 2 of us, we each pay half of it. Usually the skaters in a partnership work out between them how the finances work out. (The local dance teams do the same thing that my pairs partner and I do.) Right now, your situation amounts to YOU paying for your partners lessons. Not fair. My advice is to tell your coach that you understand the norm is for each partner to pay half of the cost of a lesson, and ask her to only charge your for your half. If she resists, you've got a messy situation coming down the road!

dooobedooo
06-03-2005, 02:11 PM
The question you need to ask yourself, is:

- What would I rather have ...?
(a) Pay for a whole dance lesson, but share it with a dance partner who is not paying, or:
(b) Pay for a whole dance lesson, and have it all to myself, but dance solo.

I suspect the answer will be a mixture of (a) and (b). You need to do both solo and couple dance to be a good dancer. Maybe you are getting "miffed" when the boy gets all the attention during a lesson, which you are paying for. I suggest that you propose to your coach, that you could have one lesson a week solo, so that you can focus just on your own skating; but continue having the other lessons as a couple.

Don't expect the coach to pay for the boy's lesson; she must know that girl dance partners are two a penny, and if you won't bite, some other girl will ...

dbny
06-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I have heard that among competitive skaters, the girl's family pays for all of the coaching when skating pairs or dance. I have no idea how true that is, but it may well be, at least in some parts of the country, because of the dearth of male skaters.

Sweet16*skater
06-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Well in where I'm from it's always the coach's fee divided by the number of students that he or she is teaching in that hour so if your pairs the price is divided by two and if your having a group lesson say with two of your friends and you well then it's divided by three...I don't know if I'm very clear...hope that this gives you a bit of clearance...plus if you think that your coach is overcharging you then you should bring up at the next meeting that you were wondering how she is billing you...
Sweet16*

dbny
06-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Well in where I'm from it's always the coach's fee divided by the number of students that he or she is teaching in that hour so if your pairs the price is divided by two and if your having a group lesson say with two of your friends and you well then it's divided by three...I don't know if I'm very clear...hope that this gives you a bit of clearance...plus if you think that your coach is overcharging you then you should bring up at the next meeting that you were wondering how she is billing you...
Sweet16*

Where I work, and skate, lessons with more than one student are charged more. So, if a private lesson for one is $30/half hour, then a semi-private lesson for two would be $40, and a semi-private for three would be $50. One reason to do this is to keep the group lesson price competitive. If you can get a semi-private lesson for the same price as a group lesson, why would you sign up for groups?

*IceDancer1419*
06-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Thanks. I wasn't sure about the test thing, because she never used to do it... and I was wondering if that was typical or not. If it is, then ok! :) Just wanted to make sure! Hope I don't sound like too muc hof a greedy brat...

As far as dancing... I do 2 lessons a week. Typically 1 is dance (w/ partner, but we sometimes do solo a bit as well, though BOTH of us do solo) and 1 is MITF... which is my OWN lesson. She doesn't *focus* on her son particularly, it's just that since there are two of us, I figured the lesson would be at least a few dollars cheaper, but I could be wrong, I guess.

I don't expect her to totally pay for her son, and I don't think she necessarily needs to cut my price in half, I just thought it was a bit odd that I pay for the whole lesson when really her son is part of it too, and i thought pairs/dance usually SPLIT the coach cost.

I think she seems to think I have a lot of money though... and while we're well off, I do'nt have *that* much esp. as I am now paying for everything skating out of my "allowance" (which is large every month, but considering I spend literally around $300/mo. on lessons alone... plus ice time...)

Sigh. This is an expensive sport. :roll: I just feel bad!
Thanks everyone! (not that you can't say anymore, just thank you for helping me. :) I'm relatively new to the world of skating, so... ;) )

*IceDancer1419*
06-03-2005, 10:28 PM
Oh, and by the way, I don't mean to be really picky. I LOVE my coach. She's very nice, and funny, and I have a lot of fun with her. I just was wondering if she was overcharging or not, for my information. :)

I'm not THAT suspicious either... I was just wondering. :)

Debbie S
06-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Thanks. I wasn't sure about the test thing, because she never used to do it... and I was wondering if that was typical or not. If it is, then ok! :) Just wanted to make sure! Hope I don't sound like too muc hof a greedy brat...
Not at all. You have a right to ask your coach about any new charges.

I don't expect her to totally pay for her son, and I don't think she necessarily needs to cut my price in half, I just thought it was a bit odd that I pay for the whole lesson when really her son is part of it too, and i thought pairs/dance usually SPLIT the coach cost.
Well, based on what others have said in this thread, it seems like you should be paying half. Perhaps it's something you should bring up with your coach when the two of you have time to talk. Probably best to focus on your upcoming test, and then bring it up next week when both of you are less stressed.

I think she seems to think I have a lot of money though... and while we're well off, I do'nt have *that* much esp. as I am now paying for everything skating out of my "allowance" (which is large every month, but considering I spend literally around $300/mo. on lessons alone... plus ice time...)

Sigh. This is an expensive sport. :roll: I just feel bad!
My first reaction when I read this is that it's none of your coach's business how much money you have or don't have! She should have uniform fee policies that apply to all of her students equally. If she's charging you more than others based on what she thinks you *should* be able to pay, that's a serious problem, in my opinion (although you should investigate any suspicions before confronting her). And you shouldn't feel bad about having concerns or questioning fees. There's a difference between questioning and arguing or refusing. Your coach should be willing to calmly discuss and justify her fees to you.

Good luck on your test!

Chico
06-03-2005, 10:52 PM
Your coach and you need to talk. Tell her your concerns and have her talk to you. Maybe she can write down her fees and how she charges. If it's in black and white there shouldn't be questions in the future. The professional thing is for you to get your questions answered. The coach student relationship is a friendship but it's also is a finacial one. The coach expects you to pay them in a timely manner and you expect to know the finacial expectations. Coach first, friend second.

Chico

TashaKat
06-03-2005, 11:18 PM
I never said but I was the same as the others, when I had a lesson with my partner we split the lesson cost. Group lessons were cheaper but there was a set rate for the course of 6. Semi privates were the same per hour just split between the participants.

As others have said have a chat with your coach. It's better to air your views now than have it all blow up at point down the line.

Good luck x

*IceDancer1419*
06-04-2005, 10:57 AM
About the different rates: My partner and I are her ONLY dance pair... her first, and her only... so... yeah. lol.

As far as charging different things... that's mainly with my little brother, who takes speedskating "lessons" from her son (my dance partner... lol). She charges for those, 12.50 for a 30 minute lesson that's not even a set 30 minute lesson (usually they only work for like 10 minutes and he's working with 1 or 2 other boys). Thing is that the other boys don't get charged...? I don't get that part fully...

dooobedooo
06-04-2005, 11:14 AM
Your coach and you need to talk. Tell her your concerns and have her talk to you. Maybe she can write down her fees and how she charges. If it's in black and white there shouldn't be questions in the future. The professional thing is for you to get your questions answered. The coach student relationship is a friendship but it's also is a finacial one. The coach expects you to pay them in a timely manner and you expect to know the finacial expectations. Coach first, friend second.

Chico

I think Chico has given some good advice.

If you plan to ask for a written fee plan, then you must first think about and note down the types of lesson that she is giving you and/or your brother. I'm sure that you can sort this out in a friendly and professional fashion, before it gets out of hand. Also, decide about a suitable time when you might be able to discuss it with your coach, relatively privately. Perhaps you could start the discussion by talking about your brother's speed skating lessons first. Then you need to explain that you are paying for your skating out of your allowance, and can go on to discuss charges for tests and competitions. Then you can decide how far to take your skating.

Your parents are certainly very wise, in the circumstances, to give you an allowance; it will help you hugely as an adult to gain experience of managing money (and relationships!) now.

Good luck!

skaternum
06-04-2005, 09:36 PM
About the different rates: My partner and I are her ONLY dance pair... her first, and her only... so... yeah. lol.

As far as charging different things... that's mainly with my little brother, who takes speedskating "lessons" from her son (my dance partner... lol). She charges for those, 12.50 for a 30 minute lesson that's not even a set 30 minute lesson (usually they only work for like 10 minutes and he's working with 1 or 2 other boys). Thing is that the other boys don't get charged...? I don't get that part fully...You know what? Since you asked us for our opinions, I'll give you one. This coach and her son sound totally unprofessional to me. I think your family is being taken advantage of, if things are as you say.