View Full Version : split jump question and need encouragement!

miraclegro
06-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Okay, this is a loaded thread! I am thinking of putting a split jump into my current program, but haven't worked on one in a looong time. Is the best entry from a 3-turn, or from a mohawk? Any tips for getting more airborne?

Also, i am reaching frustration point. I purchased custom Harlicks several years ago, and they weren't right from the beginning. I had an injury shortly after getting them, so getting a refund was out of the question because i broke them in AFTER the timeframe for refunds. I struggled with the right boot, with pronation, etc. for a long time until now. I ordered custom Klingbeils and got them about 2 months ago, again being fitted by a Master Skate Technician. My right boot again is not right! I think it seems too long because it is not feeling "cupped" where the ankle/heel should be. When i look at the insole, it doesn't look to long though! What gives? I feel i have lost so much time on the ice because i have spent time trying to lace, relace, change inserts, and while skating being afraid of certain jumps (loop especially) where i was so good before! I feel i am regressing. I guess i'll try to call the guy and get an appointment again, but i feel i have lost sooo much time! Please send me some positive words!

Chico
06-02-2005, 10:07 PM
I don't know the BEST but I enter a split jump from a mohawk. As for the boots I don't have advice. I got custom Harlick's and I have been very happy. I have heard horror stories though. Ask around at the rink, I'm sure someone has advice. How about your coach?

Chico

TashaKat
06-02-2005, 11:02 PM
I preferred the mohawk entry but I seem to remember doing them from a ???Lutz entry too. I never did get any sort of amazing height but I'm sure that I remember my coach doing the whole 'bend ze knees' thing along with really working at getting a nice split.

I'm another Harlick fan. I've had three pairs and love them to bits. Although I'm in the UK I found the guys at Harlick to be really helpful. Did you still have problems with pronation after moving your blade around? I always had to have my blades set slightly to the inside which seemed to solve the problem. If your boots aren't fitting properly I'd get back to them and see what they say.

ferelu
06-03-2005, 06:54 PM
I find the best entrance to be the mohawk. The key to a good split jump is a lot of speed. Just skate as fast as possible, mohawk, pick and you'll have a great split jump. The only problem is not chickening out when you're skating that fast.

The Ice Demon
06-03-2005, 07:14 PM
either a mohawk or 3 turn entry works and you can do them off a lutz entry too. I find mohawk works best for me for ordinary split but a 3 turn is better for russian split, but that is probably my personal preference.

The trick for height is speed and of course confidence, ;) but a great position in the air will make a big difference to what the jump looks like too. Make sure you use your arms - using them with the correct timing can make a big difference to the height and "stability" of the jump. In a split jump your arms must go down and through close to your sides, do not bring them around like you do in rotational jumps or you may end up on your face! :)

Good luck!