View Full Version : Flying spins - Silver level

Belusova
06-02-2005, 02:34 PM
I am currently at the silver level and was wondering if I can do at least 2 flying spins. Does anybody know the exact rule for the silver level?

FrankR
06-02-2005, 02:45 PM
Hi there,

I believe that the rulebook currently states that at least three spins of a different nature are expected in a silver program. There is no mention of flying spins at all. I know that I have seen skaters at the adult silver level do at least one flying spin and I have also done one competing at silver myself. I don't see a specific reason for not being allowed to do two flying spins.

Frank

Belusova
06-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Thanks Frank, when will you compete this season?

pennybeagle
06-02-2005, 03:22 PM
FYI, in case you're interested:
At nationals this past year, I attempted a flying sit and a flying camel in my silver program this past year, but missed them both and failed to qualify for finals. The top 3 finishers in the Silver I ladies finals all had solid flying camels, but the majority of the finalists did not. If my notes are correct, there were 5 attempted flying spins in the Silver II ladies final round, most getting between 1-3 revolutions (except for one, which had about 7 revs and included a layover variation...wow :bow: )

NoVa Sk8r
06-02-2005, 04:36 PM
A well-balanced program in silver level MUST (not "should" but "must!") contain:
"A minimum of three spins of a different nature (i.e., scratch, sit, combination). These required spins must have a minimum of three (3) revolutions, and if a spin combination is included, it must have a minimum of three (3) revolutions on each foot."

There are no restrictions on the type of spin. You can do a death drop, a flying reverse sit spin, or a flying layback if you want to. Of course, spins do not receive as much credit as I think they should. :??

Note the 3 revs that are required in each position. (I'm guilty at times of not observing this stricture ...)

FrankR
06-03-2005, 07:14 AM
Thanks Frank, when will you compete this season?

Hey there Belusova,

I'm not exactly sure what my plans are yet for this season regarding competing. I'm thinking I may do the Moran Memorial Championships (my home club's big event) to start and then go from there. I've also been considering going to the Peach Classic this year but I'm not sure if I can make that work just yet.

Thanks for asking! I hope all is going well with you.

Frank