View Full Version : "Sports Kids" Series On Bravo Features Male(!) Figure Skater

montanarose
06-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Not sure if this thread belongs here or elsewhere . . .

Last night Bravo (a US cable TV network) started a new series called "Sports Kids Moms & Dads." One of the four kids featured is a 16-year-old male figure skater, Bryce, along with his mom, Kim. They live in Escondido CA; he competed in Southwest Regionals and went to Junior Nationals this year. Here's a synopsis of his story line:

"Bryce has been given his big chance, due somewhat to someone else's misfortune. He is headed to his first national competition as an alternate because one of the finalists broke his ankle. After a disappointing fall in the regional competition, resulting in a fifth place finish, Bryce is practicing more than ever and dealing with the weight of what's ahead. Meanwhile, mom has never been able to stand the pressure of competition or watch her son compete. She has, however, been able to pressure her son about the quality of his skating, despite the fact that she's never been a skater herself. Will mom's constant criticism cost Bryce a national title?"

The hour-long show was the first of what looks to be a four-week series and will be re-run several times a week (schedule available on the link below). Kudos to Bravo for choosing to focus on a male skater instead of a more stereotypical "ice princess" type! The other kids' stories are pretty interesting as well, especially the 8-going-on-18-year-old cheerleader 8O

http://www.bravotv.com/Sports_Kids_Moms_&_Dads

Cheers,
Ellen

Sweet16*skater
06-02-2005, 06:50 PM
I didn't see that show but I did watch Dr. Phil and he was talking about parents who push their kids too hard or spend too much money on them...it had the same story line one boy was 9 and a football player, another a gymnast, a female figure skater...I went on the site and discovered that I'm pretty sure that they foot ball player and the gymnast are the same people...I don't have that channel but the link looks kind of interesting...
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sweet16*

Sweet16*skater
06-02-2005, 07:11 PM
ok I found another Dr. Phil link about a similar show that he did about a beauty pageant girl...it's really interesting...
http://www.drphil.com/advice/advice.jhtml?contentId=3063_pushingtoofar.xml&section=Parenting&subsection=Raising+Kids

momskates
06-03-2005, 12:42 PM
I know Bryce and his mom, and they are both nice people. The show makes them look worse than they are. Of course, as a parent, Kim is concerned about the cost of the sport and Bryce's dedication to it, but she is very supportive and is not your typical "stage mom". Compared to the other parents on the show, she is the most normal!