View Full Version : Masters Cup Adult Figure Skating Competition -- Melbourne, Australia

flutzilla1
05-30-2005, 06:50 PM
Hi all!

Just wanted to send a "good luck" and skate great to everyone here who will be competing at the Masters Cup in Melbourne in a few weeks. I'm going for the first time -- both to Masters Cup and to Melbourne! :)

I saw on the competition information sheet that the draw order was scheduled to be done this past Sunday -- does anyone have a list of skater orders or a schedule?

See you there!

aussieskater
05-30-2005, 11:05 PM
You go, girl - and have a great skate! I want to see lots and lots of photos (yes of you as well as the others), and if possible a video.

Best of luck!

pennybeagle
06-02-2005, 03:40 PM
Hey, is there a website for this event? I'm trying to find a friend of mine to see if she's competing, but my Google search came up dry. Thanks!

flutzilla1
06-03-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks aussieskates! I'm definitely going to try and get some good pictures, as long as I can figure out how to turn off the flash on hubby's camera. :)

pennybeagle -- I don't think the competition has a website, but the competitor/skate order list was recently posted; if you PM me the name of your friend, I can check the list and let you know if they are competing or not.

flutzilla1
06-15-2005, 07:04 PM
Just wanted to post about what a great time I had at this competition in Melbourne this past weekend. I got to meet forum member Aussie Willy, who is a beautiful skater and had one of the coolest costumes of the competition! :) There were 3 of us that came from the Sydney area to compete in the Bronze, Silver, and Artistic Trophy competitions, and we all medalled in each of our events!

Hope to see more Aussie (and maybe even international skaters?) at this competition next year! A special thanks to all the host club skaters and organizers -- you guys are awesome! :)

*JennaD*
06-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Good luck to everyone competing!!

Wow this makes me feel a lot better...because I started to skate kind of late, and so I don't think I will ever make it to the Olympics or anything, but there are great adult competitions that I will be able to go to eventually!! :)

starskate6.0
06-16-2005, 09:29 PM
I hope you all had a great time in Australia the land of my birth. :D
Say Hello to Chris for me, he skates at Mcquary in Sydney. We met at the Oberstdorf event this year. Speaking of which I think you stand a better chance of getting a few more intermational skaters if you change the date.

It matches the Oberstdorf event :?? And that got 130 skaters for its first year and they expect that to double next year. If you could change the date you might get a bigger crowd from over seas.....just a thought. ;)

Id come...

flutzilla1
07-11-2005, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=starskate6.0]I hope you all had a great time in Australia the land of my birth. :D
Say Hello to Chris for me, he skates at Mcquary in Sydney. We met at the Oberstdorf event this year. [QUOTE]

I know Chris -- he's from my club! He's a great skater and a great guy. :)

Just a quick FYI -- the Oz Skater magazine site has posted the top 3 results for each event at the Masters Cup here (PDF format):

http://www.ozskater.com/supp/Placings1.pdf

Raye
07-11-2005, 09:36 PM
I would like a bit more information on this competition. I may want a good excuse to go to Australia someday, and there's no better excuse than skating. Is it annual? What are the age and level categories?

flutzilla1
07-11-2005, 10:28 PM
HI Raye!

Yep, the Masters is an annual competition held over the 3-day Queen's Birthday weekend holiday here in Australia at the beginning of June. Age-wise, the freeskating levels are usually divided up between Under 40 and 40 and Up, provided there are enough entries at the level. (For example, there were 4 of us in the Silver Under 40 and I believe 4 in the Silver 40 and Up division as well.)

Here's a range of the skills at each level, from the announcement this past year. Hope this helps!

MASTERS PROFICIENCY
Program showing skater’s ability to use edges, turns and other skating movements to interpret music.

No specific jumps or spins are required.
Masters Proficiency competitors may include any optional elements they wish to perform. For example:

 spirals  pivots
 attitudes  jumps
 spins

However, the following restrictions apply to the type of jumps and spins which may be included in the program:

Jumps
Restricted to:
½ revolution jumps or less

Spins
Restricted to two foot spins or one foot stork spins only.
Time Limit

Maximum 1 minute 40 seconds

MASTERS BRONZE
Program showing skater’s ability to use edges, turns and other skating movements to interpret music.

Required elements are:

1 jump of choice of

 salchow  toe loop
 waltz jump

OR

 1 one foot spin of choice.
Masters Bronze competitors may include any other optional elements they wish to perform. For example:

 spirals  pivots
 attitudes  jumps
 spins

However, the following restrictions apply to the type of jumps and spins which may be included in the program:

Jumps
Restricted to:
 toe loops  salchows
 ½ revolution jumps or less (including combinations and/or sequences of the above jumps)

Spins
Restricted to:
 two foot spins
 one foot forward spin in position of choice eg
- upright spin
- sit spin
- camel spin

Time Limit
Maximum 2 minute 10 seconds

MASTERS SILVER

Required elements are:

2 jumps of choice from
 salchow  toe loop
 loop  flip
 lutz

OR

2 spins of choice

OR

1 jump of choice from
 salchow  toe loop
 loop  flip
 lutz

AND

1 spin of choice.
Masters Silver competitors may include any other optional elements they wish to perform. For example:

 spirals  pivots
 attitudes  jumps
 spins

Jumps
Any jump other than an axel, or double or triple jumps
(including combinations and/or sequences of the above jumps)

Spins
No restrictions.
Time Limit
Maximum 2 minutes 10 seconds

MASTERS GOLD

Required elements are:

1 jump of choice from

 loop  flip
 lutz  axel

AND

1 combination jump involving 2 single revolution jumps

AND

1 spin of choice

AND

1 combination spin involving change of foot and/or position.
Masters Gold competitors may include any other optional elements they wish to perform. For example:

 spirals  pivots
 attitudes  jumps
 spins

Jumps
No double or triple jumps allowed
(including combinations and/or sequences of the above jumps)

Spins
No restrictions.
Time Limit
Maximum 2 minutes 40 seconds

MASTERS OPEN

Required elements are:

2 Jumps
 1 axel or any double jump
 1 jump of choice

AND

2 Spins
 1 flying spin
 1 spin of choice
Masters Open competitors may include any other optional elements they wish to perform. For example:

 spirals  pivots
 attitudes  jumps
 spins

No restrictions apply to the level of difficulty of jumps or spins in this division (including combinations and/or sequences of the above jumps
Time Limit

Minimum: 2 minutes 20 seconds
Maximum: 4 minutes 00 seconds

Raye
07-12-2005, 03:51 AM
Thank you for the information. Gives me lots to think about and plan for.