View Full Version : ISI QUestion

miraclegro
05-29-2005, 01:16 PM
Hello fellow skaters,

Does anyone know the time requirements for both ISI Freestyle level 4 and ISI Freestyle Artistic programs? Also, are the elements required the same?

I have an e-mail in to the ISI place, but will not hear until tomorrow. WOuld like an answer sooner, if possible. Have a great weekend! 8-)

Lurking Skater
05-29-2005, 02:24 PM
The time reqirement for a freestyle program is 2 minutes, +/- 10 seconds.

I don't know about artistic, but I thought it was either 1 minute or 1 and 1/2 minutes.

Thin-Ice
05-29-2005, 02:36 PM
The time limit changes as you advance in freestyle level. For ISI (Ice Skating Institute) FS4 it's TWO minutes (plus or minus 10 seconds). In the FS4 program you must do the Mandatory Footwork/Dance Step sequence as outlined for the test, as well as a flip, loop, half-loop, sit spin and both the right and left back spirals.

And do you mean Spotlight events (the name used for the events held at ISI Worlds), when you say "artistic"? If so, the time limit is 1-1/2 minutes (but judging doesn't stop until 1:40.. and there are penalties if you run longer than 1:40). The time limit in this event also changes as you test up. As for elements, there are none required in Spotlight, but at FS4 you are limited to elements at the FS4 level or lower... (although at FS5-and-up you can use elements from any test level) and you can also use any "uncaptured moves".

If you truly mean "artistic", which is an event held at some local competitions, the program length is supposed to be 1-1/2 minutes, and judging stops at 1:40 and penalties if it runs longer.. and there are no required moves. But you cannot use any props -- even a hat or cane that you carry throughout the program. If you just wear the hat, that's fine, but don't touch it.

All of this is listed in ISI's Competitors Handbook.. which they update every year or two and costs about $10. If you're going to compete ISI, it's a very useful book to have.. as is the Skaters and Coaches Handbook (for some reason ISI does not use apostrophes in its book titles). Both you and your coach would benefit from having these easily available.

Good luck!