View Full Version : Sore feet

cutiesk8r43
05-26-2005, 05:14 PM
hey
I was wondering if anyone has something I can do to help my sore feet. My skates are getting small and I need new ones but I have to wait until my mom has enough money to buy them.In the meantime my feet are killing me! :cry:
Thanx in advance :)
~cutie ;)

nerd_on_ice
05-26-2005, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure what, if anything, you can do to your skates, but I've found peppermint foot lotion (I use Dr. Scholl's Pedicure Essentials Peppermint Foot & Leg Lotion) is great for ouchy feet. Origins Foot Rest foot soak is delightful too. Make sure your street shoes are well fitted & comfortable so your feet at least get a break when you're not skating.

luna_skater
05-26-2005, 08:43 PM
Have you had your boots stretched or punched out at all?

Mrs Redboots
05-27-2005, 03:05 AM
See if your fitter can stretch your skates for you - or there is some special shoe-stretching liquid you can buy, and paint on the bits that are catching. I'm not quite sure how you use it, but there will be instructions!

Meanwhile, what do you wear on your feet when you are skating? I mean, inside your skates! If you wear socks, could you go for those very thin nylon "pop-sox" instead? That might help. Or even barefoot, if it doesn't rub. And make sure your toe-nails are very short, too, that might make a difference.

Also, ask your coach if anybody is selling on a pair of outgrown but not outworn skates a size larger than your present pair that would suit your skating. If there are a lot of skaters your sort of age at your rink, it's quite probable that this might be happening. Your mum might be able to manage those, and they would "keep you going" until she can get you a new pair. Have a word with her first, before you ask at the rink, though, just to be on the safe side!

cutiesk8r43
05-27-2005, 08:09 AM
I'll tell my mom about the stretching and popping
Thanx :)
~cutie ;)

Isk8NYC
05-27-2005, 06:55 PM
If you picked up the skates at a sporting goods store in the mall, they probably can't do anything for you. They just don't have the training or equipment. If they turn you away, go to a pro shop at a rink.

Make sure you don't leave your skates where they get too hot or cold. (Like an unheated garage and/or the car trunk.) The temperature swings change the fit and break down the leather. Once the leather gets really dried out, they don't feel right until you sweat in them for a while.

If you bought the skates from a pro shop, chances are they'll stretch them or "punch out" the sore spots and ease the rubbing. It will give you an extra few months before they have to be replaced. Ask the pro shop guy to leave them on the stretcher overnight -- it works better than a quick stretch.

Mrs. Redboots' footwear change is a great suggestion. One of my kids' skates seemed too big, so I added an extra insole under the leather one. Once she grew into the skates, removing the extra insole helped. Some people take out the insole entirely to buy a little more room. (I think it feels creepy.)

Start saving now for your next pair, if these are tight -- babysitting, extra chores, the typical "American Girl" suggestions.

Brooke
05-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Wear about 3 layers of sock and pad your ankles with cotton...That's what i do!! :) It takes longer to squeeze your foot into the boot, but i'm sitting here with non-hshredded ankles now :D

luna_skater
05-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Wear about 3 layers of sock and pad your ankles with cotton...That's what i do!! :) It takes longer to squeeze your foot into the boot, but i'm sitting here with non-hshredded ankles now :D

Um, somehow I don't think that's going to help. The problem here is that her skates hurt because they are too small. Making them even tighter is not going to take away the pain!

CanAmSk8ter
05-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Is there an innersole in your skates? If there is, you can take it out and that will give you a tiny bit more room. Long-term, skating without an innersole will make your skates smell worse because the sweat from your foot will go directly into the skate itself, but if it's just temporary it won't be a huge problem. I often have students do that when their feet are growing quickly.