View Full Version : Plans for an ice rink in the Millenium Dome

2loop2loop
05-25-2005, 05:32 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4578753.stm

London definitely needs more rinks, but I'm not sure about putting one in the dome. The place seems to have a jinx about it!

John

Edited to add: You have to scroll down a bit before it mentions the rink.

jazzpants
05-25-2005, 05:38 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/arts/4578753.stm

London definitely needs more rinks, but I'm not sure about putting one in the dome. The place seems to have a jinx about it!

John

Edited to add: You have to scroll down a bit before it mentions the rink.And it's not even a permanent rink. It's more like a concert show set type of thing and not a permanent rink for all to visit. Can easily be torn down and turned into a soccer court if needed.

Meh... not important news to me, even if I lived in London...

2loop2loop
05-25-2005, 05:46 PM
The report doesn't make it very clear, but on the news it seemed that the plan was to have the main arena and several peripheral venues, such as a multiplex cinema, and one of them being an ice rink. Hmmm can't imagine many coaches heading there for the job security!

John

TashaKat
05-26-2005, 01:31 AM
It's not exactly ideally positioned either is it? It would be interesting to see if it's a 'proper' rink or just a 'play' rink (they put up a rink in a Doncaster complex and it's pathetic, two small, circular pads linked by RAMPS! You can't skate 'properly' on it :roll: ).

If it's going to be used for competitions/exhibitions then there's the Arena that's not too far away that already has ice events sometimes.

Maybe we're just being negative but it doesn't strike me as particularly well thought out!

Mrs Redboots
05-26-2005, 06:09 AM
Rumour has it - I was told by a Senior ice-dancer - that NISA has bid for the World Championships in 2008? 2010? to be held there. Us South London types are full of plans to get temporary jobs as stewards and ushers.....

Mrs Redboots
05-26-2005, 06:11 AM
It's not exactly ideally positioned either is it? It would be interesting to see if it's a 'proper' rink or just a 'play' rink (they put up a rink in a Doncaster complex and it's pathetic, two small, circular pads linked by RAMPS! You can't skate 'properly' on it :roll: ).!Ramps are fun - but if NISA wants the World Championships on them, there won't be ramps!

And by 2008 there'll be an Olympic-sized ice rink in South London, we hope, next door to where our rink is now.... work is due to start in the autumn of next year, and the present rink is to stay open until the new one is ready! It will be in a major sports complex, with swiming-pool and gymnasia..... just one final hurdle, I think....

max
05-26-2005, 06:38 AM
In the last issue of Ice Link, it stated that it would be a 22,000 seater Olympic arena based at the London Dome. The bid was for the 2008 World Championships.