View Full Version : Lake Placid Adult week--I don't get it......

phoenix
05-24-2005, 09:41 PM
Okay this is something I've eyed for a long time.......so I went to their website tonight to check it out.

:?: First of all, I can't find anyplace that lists the costs involved--on the application it just says fill in your cost for coming for the week, but it doesn't say what the cost is ...... :?: :?:

:?: Then, somewhere in there it says that once you're there you buy tickets for $13.00 apiece for the various classes.......which apparently aren't included in your registration fee :?::?:

:?:So--am I getting this right--you pay a registration fee (which we don't know what it is) (PLUS a $50.00 "processing fee"), but all that's bought you is the privilege to walk through the door--but not step on the ice?? :?::?:

Obviously I'm missing something here........right? I'll actually be glad if I'm wrong about this, because otherwise there's no way I'd ever do it....can someone please straighten me out?

renatele
05-24-2005, 10:36 PM
I may have found some more info... perhaps this will help a little bit:

http://lakeplacidskating.com/programs/summer_figure_skating/prices.htm (and check other links on the left under "the programs", then "summer figure skating").

LoopLoop
05-25-2005, 08:39 AM
I've been to the Lake Placid adult week a couple of times. The registration fee (usually around $190) gives you access to all of the ice sessions for the week, which are pretty much unlimited. You can skate on any of the adult sessions, and also on the "kid" sessions of the appropriate level. Any classes you choose to take are an additional cost, as are private lessons.

phoenix
05-25-2005, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the extra info! It's quite wildly expensive, IMO. With just the reg. fee & processing fee, you're at $275.00, which figures out to just under $40.00 a day for ice time (that's for a full 7 days of skating)--so to get it even close to a (IMO) reasonable $10.00/hour, I'd have to skate 4 hours a day, and I haven't even taken any of the classes or lessons yet!! I'm just skating around the ice by my lonesome.

I don't think I'm up for that, but thanks for the extra info.

I wish they still did the Extreme Expo in Chicago like they used to. It was over a long weekend & you got a ton of classes every day. The cost was very reasonable, & you had world class coaches/skaters running the classes.....I had a spin class w/ Yuka Sato, & a dance class with Liz Coates.

Mrs Redboots
05-25-2005, 12:51 PM
If anybody is interested in ice dance camps, there are several in Europe throughout the year. I have information on one in Bad Reichenhall in Germany (practically Austria - it's on the border) that takes place in October this year - pm me with your email address if you're interested & I'll send you a copy of the bumf. I know it's a long way to come for a dance camp, but still!

dooobedooo
05-25-2005, 02:15 PM
I haven't tried it, but there's a weekend camp at Hackensack, New Jersey, at end of June:

http://www.icehousenj.com/Docs/AdultCamp2005.pdf

I believe the Bad Reichenhall camp is for ice dance, not free.

dbny
05-25-2005, 03:32 PM
I'm just skating around the ice by my lonesome.

You won't be doing that! The Lake Placid adult weeks are well attended and the level of camaraderie is quite high. You will most likely make friends with other skaters right away.

dbuckley
05-26-2005, 10:53 AM
I've been coming to the adult week for the last 4 years and I think its a bargain.
There is usually anywhere from 8 - 10 hours a day of adult ice time available. But more than just measuring the cost per hour of ice time is the unmeasurable value of the new friends you make, the great coaches to work worth, and the sheer magic feeling there is when skating in the 1980 rink. When I get back from my week in LP I have a smile on my face for weeks. I cannot begin to explain what a great high being there for adult week is.

Figureskates
05-26-2005, 06:44 PM
This will be my 6th year at Adult Week.

I love it and I have learned a lot and have met a lot of great skating friends.

I had always been a fan of the Adirondacks since I went to school up there in the 60s. My wife, who isn't a skater, fell in love with the region and we plan to retire to Lake Placid in a few years.

LWalsh
05-27-2005, 08:45 AM
Pheonix - I personally prefer the adult week in Lake Placid over the two day training seminiar type things. The reason is that at Lake Placid they offer access to many different coaches for private lessons. I usually take an average of 1.5 per day. Then I can decide which other activities I want to participate in without having to adhere to someone else's schedule. For instance I know I need to work on flexibility and conditioning so I schedule to take a few of those classes. Then I want to work on moves, so I take some of those classes. I even get a chance to do patch (which I couldn't possibly do at home). I find private lessons much more valuble than group ones where you are just standing around half the time. I've taken those types of things and I don't feel like I get much out of it. In most of the two day workshops you never really get a chance to skate. I also like that since ice is free and unlimited I can rest whenever I feel like resting and skate whenever I feel like skating. I never have to worry that I paid for X amount of time between X and Y so I'm wasting money. I can just step on the ice whenever I feel like it. The session run from like 6am to 9 or 10 at night. Since I make my own schedule, I can also take some time to enjoy Lake Placid. There is incredible scenery, great places to eat, lots of Olympic and skating history. If you've never been there you just don't know what you are missing.

I hope you try it! You won't be dissapointed.

Lwalsh