View Full Version : waltz jump

froggy
05-24-2005, 08:29 PM
How do I get more spring on my waltz jump? I've been trying to think in my head to lift up and over like jumping over a stream, but my coach still wants to see more "spring" and height in my jump. Is there anything I can do off ice? Also should I be springing off my left toepick when I lift off or more my left outside edge???

thank you!

sk8er1964
05-24-2005, 09:07 PM
Definitely your toepick -- and think bend the knee and jump up to the sky - not out over the stream (that's for flying camels). And I really mean bend the knee! :mrgreen: (That's really hard for beginners to do. Heck, it was hard for me to do when my coach wanted more height on my axel and started me with springing up instead of jumping out on my waltz jump! ;)

sue123
05-24-2005, 10:31 PM
I was told to maintain a lot of tension before going into the jump, like an archer would do before shooting an arrow. And release your arms and legs together, not to keep my knee bent for too long because I would lose all the spring. I don't think htis really makes any sense because I'm a bit tired right now, but if anyone can understand this and clarify it, be my guest.

Casey
05-25-2005, 01:55 AM
The bunny hop helped me with this. It allowed me to just think about jumping with more force without also having to rotate.

Shinn-Reika
05-25-2005, 02:55 AM
Hmm I've always tried to use as much momentum with my arms. It almost seems as if I don't use my toepick at all anymore. Baw don't listen to me I almost adhere to tertrible form.

cutiesk8r43
05-27-2005, 08:07 AM
my coach tells me to square my arms before going into the jump and really bend the knees and spring off your left toe and reach up more than out :)
~cutie ;)

iskatealot
05-27-2005, 04:05 PM
You definitely need to jump off the toepick. Also, keep you head up. If there are banners or something hanging around the rink try looking at them while you jump. If your head is down and your looking at the ice its not going to get very high at all.

AnnM
05-27-2005, 04:08 PM
My coach has told me to think of jumping "out" towards the wall with a straight leg. I guess the theory is that in order to get a nice stretched leg "out" you almost have to automatically deepen the knee bend. It has worked for me.