View Full Version : Mountain Cup - Who's going?

2loop2loop
05-23-2005, 05:22 PM
We covered this already for the ISU comp, but for those youngsters among us who don't get to go to Oberstdorf, it would be interesting to see who is going to be at the MC too/instead. Less than two weeks to go now!

I am making my second trip to the MC this year skating in Masters 1 freeskate and interp.

John

Casey
05-23-2005, 09:41 PM
I've decided to keep seeing my old coach at my old rink for an hour every other rink rather than finding a coach at the new rink, for the time being anyways. She doesn't follow USFSA, but I would like to begin going to adult competitions for the experience as soon as possible. How should I start? I suppose I will need to join USFSA...

jazzpants
05-24-2005, 01:37 AM
I've decided to keep seeing my old coach at my old rink for an hour every other rink rather than finding a coach at the new rink, for the time being anyways. She doesn't follow USFSA, but I would like to begin going to adult competitions for the experience as soon as possible. How should I start? I suppose I will need to join USFSA...Yes, and you have the option of either join a skating club (cheaper) or join directly as a member (more expensive but no club politics involved.)

Geez, your coach doesn't follow USFSA!?!!? 8O I'm surprised!!!

blue111moon
05-24-2005, 07:29 AM
I'm not a youngster and I'm going to Obertsdorf later but I'm really excited about Mountain Cup - looking forward to seeing some of the people I met last year, doing some sightseeing that I didn't have time for last year, and eating all that great food again... Oh, and skating, too, of course. I'm in Silver Ladies III, Interp III and Silver Figures (which is going to be sooooooo funny since I can only do one of the three figures on a good day).

Anyone else doing the camp?

skaternum
05-24-2005, 09:27 AM
She doesn't follow USFSA, but I would like to begin going to adult competitions for the experience as soon as possible. How should I start? I suppose I will need to join USFSA...Huh??? Not follow USFSA? That's weird. If you're going to take USFSA tests, you need a coach who is familiar with USFSA testing!

Casey
05-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Geez, your coach doesn't follow USFSA!?!!? 8O I'm surprised!!!
Nope. Well, she probably knows more details than she lets on, but she, and the whole rink that she teaches at, focuses strongly on ISI for figure skaters. Any USFSA-related events that they do host are always managed by the FSC of my new home rink.

I remember seeing some papers over the winter announcing that the rink was trying to form a USFSA FSC and was looking for volunteers...but I don't know if they had much success because I haven't heard anything about it recently.

Mrs Redboots
05-24-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm not quite sure what Casey's post had to do with the Mountain Cup.....

I'm going (I'd have need to be - 2loops is sharing an apartment with us and will be checking in on our behalf!). Husband and I are doing pre-Bronze Dance - sadly, this year, it is only us vs Other Woman and her Husband - same old, same old - except this year, we're going to win [not! But not for want of trying!]. I'm also doing Ladies Interpretive III, and I think Other Woman is doing Bronze Ladies III.

Not too sure who else is going from the UK apart from my own particular close friends - I know the Chelmsford crowd are all going, and a skater from Tashakat's old rink.... I think we'll be quite a large party again. And more joining us at O'Dorf, I think. Only a small group going to Tallinn, though.

2loop2loop
05-24-2005, 03:57 PM
I'm going (I'd have need to be - 2loops is sharing an apartment with us and will be checking in on our behalf!).

Not to go into details but Mrs (and Mr) Redboots have played a major part in ensuring I will be able to attend the cup this year. Thanks Mrs R :bow: :bow: :bow:

Not too sure who else is going from the UK apart from my own particular close friends - I know the Chelmsford crowd are all going, and a skater from Tashakat's old rink.... I think we'll be quite a large party again. And more joining us at O'Dorf, I think. Only a small group going to Tallinn, though.

Funny when Barbara enquired to see if I was going she suggested that the UK contingent was rather thin on the ground this year, but I am hearing of people who are going all the time. Of the Oxford crowd there are three others in addition to the usual suspects. From Slough there is other woman + husband + daughter and the crowd from Chelmsford is always large. Anyone know about the Northern crowd - I'm thinking CO'D, GC, SH, JMcK?

John

jazzpants
05-24-2005, 04:29 PM
I'm not quite sure what Casey's post had to do with the Mountain Cup.....I don't think he knows what the qualifications are for competing at these types of competition. I'll write him email and explain all this to him... (We'll straighten all this out, Casey...but off this thread!!!)

To keep on topic, I'll assume that our two local skaters are going. (You know who I'm talking about, Annabel.) ;) Unless, of course, there's something I haven't heard about...

starskate6.0
05-24-2005, 09:33 PM
We did not meet at the Adult Nationals here in the states, But I will be at the Oberstdorf event . Please be sure to say Hello if I dont catch you. I skate here in the states. Ill be looking for you this time. ;)

Casey
05-25-2005, 01:59 AM
I'm not quite sure what Casey's post had to do with the Mountain Cup.....
Sorry Anabel, I seem to have made a mistake. Looking at it now I have no idea why it's posted in this thread, so I'm pretty sure I had several windows open and accidentally posted in the wrong thread, and then didn't pay attention to the first post when I replied again.

Moderators please feel free to delete my post and any relating to it.

Sorry again for the distraction. :(

Mrs Redboots
05-25-2005, 07:04 AM
Sorry Anabel, I seem to have made a mistake. Looking at it now I have no idea why it's posted in this thread, so I'm pretty sure I had several windows open and accidentally posted in the wrong thread, and then didn't pay attention to the first post when I replied again.

Moderators please feel free to delete my post and any relating to it.

Sorry again for the distraction. :(Not to worry! These things happen.... and I've hijacked threads before now.... NOt that I recommend it, you understand, but....

Funny when Barbara enquired to see if I was going she suggested that the UK contingent was rather thin on the ground this year, but I am hearing of people who are going all the time. Of the Oxford crowd there are three others in addition to the usual suspects. From Slough there is other woman + husband + daughter and the crowd from Chelmsford is always large. Anyone know about the Northern crowd - I'm thinking CO'D, GC, SH, JMcK?CO'D and GC are definitely doing O'Dorf, but as far as I know neither of them is doing MC. JMcK is doing MC and the camp, don't know about SH. I'm doing Chelmsford RIDL on Sunday so will probably find out then who is going from there, but I think most of the usual suspects are!

As far as I know only six UK skaters are going to Tallinn, but there may be more I don't know about. There are several more going to Oberstdorf, that I do know!

coskater64
05-25-2005, 06:12 PM
I am going to MC for the first time this year and doing the camp as well. I think it will be fun, and o'dorf should also be a good time.

la

Michigansk8er
05-25-2005, 06:42 PM
Yes, and you have the option of either join a skating club (cheaper) or join directly as a member (more expensive but no club politics involved.)

I know this is off the topic..........sorry! In my area a club is considerably more than an individual USFS membership. I've even come out ahead paying out of club test fees.

Good luck to everyone at Mountain Cup!!!!! I'm soooooo jealous. Hopefully, I'll be able to attend someday.

slusher
05-25-2005, 06:46 PM
What about altitude?

I was hiking a while ago at 5000+ feet and I was surprised how the air affected me, what's that altitude like when you're skating?

Mrs Redboots
05-26-2005, 05:59 AM
I've never been aware of it at the Mountain Cup, although I know some folks are affected. Oberstdorf is higher, but I'm sure a week in Villard-de-Lans (which is about 900 metres, I think, no idea what that is in feet) will be a good half-way house to acclimatise.

Mrs Redboots
05-26-2005, 06:01 AM
I am going to MC for the first time this year and doing the camp as well. I think it will be fun, and o'dorf should also be a good time.

laHave you had a camp time-table yet? I don't see your name on the list of participants is why I ask - so if you haven't, better e-mail Barbara PDQ in case there has been miscommunication!

blue111moon
05-26-2005, 07:12 AM
Annabel, are you doing only the dance portion of the camp or are you jumping over to spend a day with us low-level free skaters like last year?

Pieces are finally falling into place for me here so I'm looking forward to enjoying the trip completely.

coskater64
05-26-2005, 02:28 PM
Yep Ms. Redboots,
I got a note from century and they added me onto the list tuesday I think and sent me a confirmation via Barbara.

altitude: I live at 6000 feet so it's not a problem for me. he he

la

Mrs Redboots
05-26-2005, 02:57 PM
Annabel, are you doing only the dance portion of the camp or are you jumping over to spend a day with us low-level free skaters like last year?

Pieces are finally falling into place for me here so I'm looking forward to enjoying the trip completely.I don't ever do the free skating - I think we had some joint sessions last year, and will again this. But My Friend Fiona is deserting us this year and joining you lot! And I'm longing to see you again, too.

Yep Ms. Redboots,
I got a note from century and they added me onto the list tuesday I think and sent me a confirmation via Barbara.Oh good! Looking forward to seeing you again, too. YOu'll be in the high-level class, of course, along with 2loop2loop and various other cronies so won't have much ice-time with the likes of BlueIIImoon and me! But we seem to start off all together on Monday & Tuesday.