View Full Version : Any Docs, physios or Chiros on here can help me?

singerskates
05-22-2005, 09:05 PM
I'm a deli worker who does a lot of repetition on my job. I'm also a Canadian
competitive adult figure skater. I've been going to see a chiropractor who
also does physio since February after having an accident at work. The
accident happened when I was walking from one part of the deli to get to the
other side when I slipped on a rubber mat that is in place between the sink
and the deep fryer and has a greasy watery drain beneath the mat. As I fell I
twisted my right arm and shoulder. I had pain running into my neck and down
into my right hand. I couldn't hold things and writing hurt. Then I went on
comp for a while did so called modified work, which was cleaning and lifting
things repeatedly with my left arm only. Then my left shoulder, upper back
and upper arm began hurting. The right arm/shoulder is coming along but the
left is worse. After getting off of comp, I resumed figure skating. Most of
the time it made me feel better to skate. I have to keep on skating until the
end of spring skating because I'm expected to pass a free skating test.
Spring skating is over June 10th and then I will be done skating until the
end of August because my skating club has no ice this summer. Besides, I know
I need the break. The chiropractor has me going three times a week to see him
where he and/or one of his staff gives me tens therapy, ultrasound and then
chiropractic adjustments. I feel like the tens makes me feel more pain. The
ultrasound helps some and so do the chiropractic adjustments. Are there other
treatments that could help? I had my right side x-rayed but not my left side.
Could I have torn something but not have had pain until I use my left side to
do everything while on modified duty? If I could have done it all over again
after the accident I would have taken time off while on comp instead of doing
modified duty, would not have competed and pulled out of the three
comptitions I did. Right now both shoulders ache and the back of my neck
aches but mostly the left side. I also get times of pins and needles on my
left side. I want to get rid of this pain once and for all. What will help?

Brigitte Laskowski

jenlyon60
05-23-2005, 04:43 AM
I'm not a medical professional but is it possible that you injured the left side as a result of compensation and overuse (since you couldn't use or could only minimally use the right side)?

sue123
05-23-2005, 10:02 AM
I'm not a doctor (not yet anyway), but I've heard some great things about OMM (osteopathic manipulative therapy). Not sure of the exact theory behind it, but basically, OMM is practiced by D.O.'s (Doctor of Osteopathy). They're liscensed doctors who can prescribe medication and do the same thing regular doctors do, but some of them choose to use OMM in their practice. They do things like spinal adjustments and pressure points to relieve pain and try to get the body to heal itself. The first time I heard of it, I was a bit unsure, but I went to visit an osteopathic school, and a couple of the second years asked us if we had any headaches or backaches or anything bothering us, and they did this manipulation, and it went away. So it might be worth a shot if there is one in your area. My dad's gone to them too for all sorts of reasons, since several of his clients use OMM in their practices.

singerskates
05-23-2005, 02:07 PM
I'm not a medical professional but is it possible that you injured the left side as a result of compensation and overuse (since you couldn't use or could only minimally use the right side)?
Yes, it is most likely. That happened to the left side while I was on comp and modified dury for the right side. I know this because I had no pain at all on my left side, until I was doing the modified work while I was on comp. I made a bad decision to go back to work only days after the accident. I also had to deal with my mother having pnemonia, emphazima(sp) and a heart attack just two days after my accident at work, where I got my right rotator cuff injury. I really should have taken a month off of work and pulled out of all of my competitions that I did. I would have saved maga bucks, my MC wouldn't be so high from doing Adult Canadians and I might be already healed by now. Looking back, it was partly my bad judgement why I'm still in pain now. I will however work hard on getting better starting on June 10. Right now all I can do is work and skate through the pain. But maybe one of your susgestions will help me feel better in the meantime.

Brigitte

NCSkater02
05-23-2005, 03:52 PM
You might have a pinched nerve (herniated disc) in your neck. Arm and shoulder pain, along with numbness and tingling are classic symptoms.

Yeah, as an OR nurse, I've seen a few.

IceDoctor
05-23-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey

I am a 3rd year osteopatic medical student and would suggest OMM, but the fact that you have numbness and tingling is not normal. I normal streched or pulled muscle shouldn't cause the numbness and tingling. There is something that is called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome that involves nerve compression...I would go to your family doc who then may want you to have an MRI of your spine...

RNsk8r
05-23-2005, 04:51 PM
I agree with NCSkater, also as an OR nurse(hey what are the chances). It sounds like you have had a potential neck injury that could be compounded by a shoulder/rotator cuff injury. Having symptoms from the neck all the way down to your hands is indicative of a nerve injury. X-rays and MRI's of your neck and possibly your shoulders would probably be a good next step. Take care

singerskates
05-23-2005, 05:10 PM
I have a complication. I have metal wirers and a plate in my left elbow from when I broke it over 5 years ago just before I joined Windsor FSC which is now Skate Windsor, so I can't have an MRI. Looking back I should have had the wire and metal taken out a year after the surgery to fix my elbow. Now what?

Brigitte

singerskates
05-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Hey

I am a 3rd year osteopatic medical student and would suggest OMM, but the fact that you have numbness and tingling is not normal. I normal streched or pulled muscle shouldn't cause the numbness and tingling. There is something that is called Thoracic Outlet Syndrome that involves nerve compression...I would go to your family doc who then may want you to have an MRI of your spine...

OK, I'm not a med student, doc or a nurse. So what is an OMM? I haven't the foggiest. Note: I stopped taking science after grade 9 even though I was an A student in science because of severe allergic reaction to the smell in the biology science lab. Back then they made you take the grade 10 biology before being able to take chem or physics. I wasn't allowed to go on in science without biology. So, everyday people lingo would be appreciated.

Brigitte

jp1andOnly
05-23-2005, 05:58 PM
It was posted by Sue...you can get all the details about it form reading her post.

#3 Today, 08:02 AM
sue123
Registered User Join Date: Nov 2004

I'm not a doctor (not yet anyway), but I've heard some great things about OMM (osteopathic manipulative therapy

froggy
05-23-2005, 08:19 PM
I'm an occupational therapist, I haven't seen you but you should check to see like someone mentioned if you have thoracic outlet syndrome, or a neck injury (specifically cervical region). It sounds like you pinched or compressed a nerve (ie: the tingling sensation) depending what nerve was involved would effect what muscles are effected and where the pain/tingling may be felt. I imagine you also prob have a bit decreased stength. As far as your side that was not acutely injured, it may now be symptomatic from overuse from non-use of the injured arm; however, you may also be experiencing associated pain. Request from your MD an MRI and get a full comprehensive eval from a recommended physiotherapist (aka physical therapist).

good luck!

Casey
05-23-2005, 08:32 PM
I have a friend who is one of the youngest diagnosed with osteoporosis. She is interested in trying skating sometime - would this be a good or bad idea, does anyone know?

froggy
05-23-2005, 09:45 PM
I have a friend who is one of the youngest diagnosed with osteoporosis. She is interested in trying skating sometime - would this be a good or bad idea, does anyone know?

Weight bearing exercises are great for individuals with osteoporosis (as opposed to non-weight bearing exercises like swimming). Skating is a weight bearing exercise. Of course she should ask her MD regarding this issue. I would recommend though b/c of her diagnosis she should be extra cautious to avoid injury- since she is at risk for fractures, to wear protective gear when skating (ie: wrist guards, knee/elbow pads).

all the best and happy skating!

froggy
05-23-2005, 09:49 PM
I have a complication. I have metal wirers and a plate in my left elbow from when I broke it over 5 years ago just before I joined Windsor FSC which is now Skate Windsor, so I can't have an MRI. Looking back I should have had the wire and metal taken out a year after the surgery to fix my elbow. Now what?

Brigitte

there are other imaging tests your doctor can order for you that won't be contraindicated by the metal.

singerskates
05-23-2005, 10:09 PM
there are other imaging tests your doctor can order for you that won't be contraindicated by the metal.
What would those be called? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

sue123
05-23-2005, 10:42 PM

Brigitte

I thought they used titanium when they put in plates and things, it's stronger and not magnetic, so you don't set off metal detectors going through airports and things. I have a friend who had to get his jaw put back together and has something like 30 pins and plates and things, but he's never had a problem. Maybe they use something different for the wires? Or maybe titanium is a new thing?

skateflo
05-24-2005, 05:31 AM
If your elbow was done only 5 years ago, it shouldn't be a problem for an MRI. I had plate and screws in my neck 2 years ago and then needed an MRI for my shoulder 3 months ago. No problem. They also can do a Cat Scan as an alternative. Of note, MRIs of the shoulder can miss a lot and sometimes it is better to have an MRI arthrogram (die is injected into your vein prior to the MRI and gives more detailed results.)

Conern has rightly been expressed by several posters that with signs of nerve compression, you need to have it more fully evaluated. If you let it go too long, you could have irreversible nerve damage, or a recovery that takes years, to your arm. While OD manipulation (by OD or Chiropractor) has its place and can help many people, there comes a time when you need to consult with traditional MDs. I'm a little surprised Comp. didn't advise you to have further tests.

Let us know what you decide.

NCSkater02
05-24-2005, 06:53 PM
I thought they used titanium when they put in plates and things, it's stronger and not magnetic, so you don't set off metal detectors going through airports and things. I have a friend who had to get his jaw put back together and has something like 30 pins and plates and things, but he's never had a problem. Maybe they use something different for the wires? Or maybe titanium is a new thing?

Both are used--it depends on the situation. I've not learned what the difference is yet. Stainless is cheaper and more common in my area. Titanium is lighter and more expensive.