View Full Version : Air/spin position

The Ice Demon
05-21-2005, 12:10 AM
Wondering if anyone has any good suggestions for correcting a hunched position in the air and/or in spins. I tend to tilt my head down and hunch my shoulder up. I have no trouble getting height, it's just the position i'd like to improve. It is more noticeable on some elements than others (eg sal, upright spin).

I imagine it stems from the old fetal position reaction, which is strange as I love jumping and have no problem with doing big jumps. :frus:

A suggestion I have had for an off-ice excercise, is to attach a pingpong ball to a piece of string and hang it from the ceiling and try and jump up and hit it with my head. Then increase the height a little bit at a time. I imagine being aware of it on-ice will help too, but was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and has some good tips to fix it??

Skate@Delaware
05-21-2005, 07:41 AM
One person at my rink was made to hold a hockey stick out in front--one hand holds near the 'handle' the other hand holds near the blade--and you have to keep it horizontal. Any deviation, the coach blows a whistle.... After a while you (hopefully) won't hear the whistle.... It worked for her in very short order.

cmgale
05-21-2005, 11:34 AM
Sounds like you need to strengthen your erector spinae, tapezius, and rhomboids...
In the weight room work on back extensions and reverse flies while lying on a bench stomach down... (start with arms on the floor slightly at your sides and pull straight back leading slightly with your elbows